texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Sawyer S, jennsono, Mbogo, BC_Reb, WTXN
68423 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 107,620
bill oxner 84,092
stxranchman 57,431
SnakeWrangler 57,218
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Gravytrain 42,461
BMD 41,172
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics603,686
Posts11,313,214
Members83,423
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
EC Tuner? #8191357 03/04/21 02:44 AM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 264
G
Gw123 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 264
Has anybody ever heard of, used, or seen one of these? Not really sure how they work or what they do. The fella that makes them shoots for team lapua and uses them so there might be something to it?



[img]http://erikcortina.com/tuners[/img]

Re: EC Tuner? [Re: Gw123] #8191359 03/04/21 02:47 AM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 264
G
Gw123 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 264
Not really looking to buy, just looking for info. My uncle is good friends with the man that makes them and my dad near him through work today and he was telling my dad about them.

Re: EC Tuner? [Re: Gw123] #8191441 03/04/21 04:22 AM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 24,901
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 24,901
bought one today as a matter of fact, well that is if it works as good as others. It's being tested on a friends Dasher now. If it passes muster I will be using one.


SPACE FOR RENT


Re: EC Tuner? [Re: Gw123] #8191442 03/04/21 04:23 AM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 509
S
safarigene Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
S
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 509
Only experience I have is with the Browning BOSS system. Same concept. If you can't/don't reload and need to shoot a specific load, they can be beneficial. Basically they tune the harmonics of your barrel to one specific load.

Re: EC Tuner? [Re: Gw123] #8191444 03/04/21 04:27 AM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 24,901
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 24,901
Erik's EC, the tuner is at the end of the barrel, in front of the brake. Pretty cool set up, looks really good


SPACE FOR RENT


Re: EC Tuner? [Re: Gw123] #8191495 03/04/21 09:25 AM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,374
P_102 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,374
They are reported to do a good job in tuning for specific loads or conditions. To take full advantage of one (pretty much any tuner) it’s important to keep impeccable records that will enable the shooter to stay properly tuned in all conditions. Just like hand loaders fiddling with loads, shot gunners with chokes and even golfers with clubs, I think it would be easy to get caught up in the “I wonder if I’ve got it just right” frame of mind and spend forever tinkering and worrying about it......


Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: EC Tuner? [Re: Gw123] #8191731 03/04/21 02:51 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,871
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,871
I've tried the tuner thing...not for me. It would take me years to gather the data needed and to feel comfortable with the movements to effectively manage it's settings.


Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: EC Tuner? [Re: Gw123] #8191743 03/04/21 02:56 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 32,705
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 32,705
I’m tuned in

Re: EC Tuner? [Re: Gw123] #8191746 03/04/21 02:58 PM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1,115
T
TAB Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1,115
They work, the ec turner is one of the best looking and best functioning one with the locking features, the taper, etc.
Harrel’s is another excellent option for a tuner also.

If your having a hard time tuning your load but have good es/sd these tuners can bridge the gap and pull the group size down where it needs to be. If you do decide to tune, a good 200 yards minimum is good start, 300 would be better.

I think with a center fire heavy barreled rifle with say 22” or shorter barrel there is very little to realize from the tuner, if you have say a 25-27” barrel the tuner will have a greater effect and likely be easier to tune. I also think if your trying to tune anything lighter than say a light Varmit contour or a Remington varmit contour your probably going to induce more unpredictable vibes in a light barrel.

I have had a few over the years and they work great. But the ones I had came loose, moved and didn’t have any real way to index it well. The ec tuner is clearly marked and rock solid, as long as you run the same load lock it down set and forget.. you change anything and you have to retune.

Last edited by tabjlr; 03/04/21 03:09 PM.
Re: EC Tuner? [Re: TAB] #8191901 03/04/21 04:42 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 24,901
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 24,901
Originally Posted by tabjlr
They work, the ec turner is one of the best looking and best functioning one with the locking features, the taper, etc.
Harrel’s is another excellent option for a tuner also.

If your having a hard time tuning your load but have good es/sd these tuners can bridge the gap and pull the group size down where it needs to be. If you do decide to tune, a good 200 yards minimum is good start, 300 would be better.

I think with a center fire heavy barreled rifle with say 22” or shorter barrel there is very little to realize from the tuner, if you have say a 25-27” barrel the tuner will have a greater effect and likely be easier to tune. I also think if your trying to tune anything lighter than say a light Varmit contour or a Remington varmit contour your probably going to induce more unpredictable vibes in a light barrel.

I have had a few over the years and they work great. But the ones I had came loose, moved and didn’t have any real way to index it well. The ec tuner is clearly marked and rock solid, as long as you run the same load lock it down set and forget.. you change anything and you have to retune.

mic drop


SPACE FOR RENT


Re: EC Tuner? [Re: Gw123] #8192077 03/04/21 08:13 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,269
B
Big Fitz Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
B
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,269
I like the concept and seems it would be most beneficial in the case where a certain load achieves the best ES/SD but is not the most accurate due to harmonics. I've looked at a Harrell's for 22lr.


Originally Posted by KRoyal
Sounds like a nice stick Fitz.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: EC Tuner? [Re: Gw123] #8192111 03/04/21 08:41 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 24,901
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 24,901
.22 will drive you nutz. ammo consistency


SPACE FOR RENT


Re: EC Tuner? [Re: Buzzsaw] #8192169 03/04/21 09:32 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,871
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,871
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
.22 will drive you nutz. ammo consistency


That's the arena tuners have been used with the most success and the reason you've seen them move over into centerfire.

I don't know of any who are the set it and forget it...the purpose is you can tune a load to the conditions by making very small adjustments. Harrells tuner was the one I've used. They work...learning what to do with them is the part that takes experience and know how to utilize.


Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: EC Tuner? [Re: Gw123] #8192186 03/04/21 09:46 PM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,374
P_102 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,374
Pretty much all the Alamo folks had them on when they kicked our arses in the long range .22 match....


Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: EC Tuner? [Re: P_102] #8192344 03/04/21 11:36 PM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1,115
T
TAB Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1,115
Originally Posted by P_102
Pretty much all the Alamo folks had them on when they kicked our arses in the long range .22 match....


On rimfire they are cantankerous and difficult but if you have a good lot of 22 and go spend a few hours indoors at 100 yards you can get a good tune I’m about to dive off into that..

The key is having a lot of 22 that is let’s say 25 es or less.

Re: EC Tuner? [Re: P_102] #8192446 03/05/21 01:22 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 21,473
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 21,473
Originally Posted by P_102
Pretty much all the Alamo folks had them on when they kicked our arses in the long range .22 match....

Speak for yourself they didn’t kick my [censored] lol.


[Linked Image] [Linked Image]



Re: EC Tuner? [Re: Gw123] #8192526 03/05/21 02:33 AM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 69
cowie14 Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 69
I would do more research on them a lot of bench guys have turned away from them because of the amount of change in POI on different days. Its just a weight on the end of a barrel, no difference from a suppressor nor muzzle brake. .22 have really taken them up

Last edited by cowie14; 03/05/21 02:35 AM.
Re: EC Tuner? [Re: KRoyal] #8192562 03/05/21 03:08 AM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 69
cowie14 Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 69
Originally Posted by KRoyal
Originally Posted by P_102
Pretty much all the Alamo folks had them on when they kicked our arses in the long range .22 match....

Speak for yourself they didn’t kick my [censored] lol.


Why do the Alamo folks never show up to the 500 yd match's? scratch popcorn

Re: EC Tuner? [Re: cowie14] #8194504 03/06/21 09:05 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,269
B
Big Fitz Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
B
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,269
Originally Posted by cowie14
I would do more research on them a lot of bench guys have turned away from them because of the amount of change in POI on different days. Its just a weight on the end of a barrel, no difference from a suppressor nor muzzle brake. .22 have really taken them up




Help me understand POI issue (assuming the tuner stays on the barrel and is not adjusted). I would expect a POI shift with a tuner on vs. off (same with a can) but would not have expected POI shifts day to day or weather related.


Originally Posted by KRoyal
Sounds like a nice stick Fitz.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: EC Tuner? [Re: Big Fitz] #8194837 03/07/21 02:36 AM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 69
cowie14 Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 69
Originally Posted by Big Fitz


Help me understand POI issue (assuming the tuner stays on the barrel and is not adjusted). I would expect a POI shift with a tuner on vs. off (same with a can) but would not have expected POI shifts day to day or weather related.



Not that I'm an expert in tuners nor suppressors etc. Over the last 4 years, tuners were a big hit for wanting to find a node quicker instead of finding a node from powder and seating depth. They were and still are a big hit for the .22LR being non reloading aspects. I'm not sure there is any proof that one out performs the other I just think from opinions based on highly successful benchrest shooters that tuners have faded out of popularity. In my own opinion tuners achieve a short term goal instead of a long term goal, they tune the load for that particular day instead of that rifle. I think they achieve results based upon someone looking for a short answer.


Your question relating to POI: Stating again my own opinion, the less amount of variables in the equation the better the consistency of POI.
Both in factory ammo and handloads I have seen shifts in POI with tuners from day to day matches. Whos to know whether barrel, nor weather, nor temperature and wind gave these results. I will say if group size is what your after they do significant work but that POI can't be repeated next match. I will also say for some reason at 1000k clouds/ lightning change everything in a second or two. Not sure if so the mirage and or the target but POI changes when clouds/ lighting roll through- a good MOA or so change.

Last edited by cowie14; 03/07/21 02:50 AM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3