Page 1 of 2 1 2
Windshield replacement #8189835 03/02/21 11:53 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
I’ll start by saying shame on me for not getting multiple bids in the beginning but I didn’t . My wife needed her windshield replaced so we went with the first thing that popped up, Safelite . They ended up calling and canceling the day of so we started looking around . A1 and basically everyone else quoted half the cost of Safelite. Moral of the story - look around.

Re: Windshield replacement [Re: Biscuit] #8189843 03/02/21 11:59 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
They have great commercials

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Windshield replacement [Re: Biscuit] #8189851 03/03/21 12:04 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Biscuit
I’ll start by saying shame on me for not getting multiple bids in the beginning but I didn’t . My wife needed her windshield replaced so we went with the first thing that popped up, Safelite . They ended up calling and canceling the day of so we started looking around . A1 and basically everyone else quoted half the cost of Safelite. Moral of the story - look around.

Yep, Safelite sucks. They advertise that they will come anywhere and take care of you, BS. I was in the engineering/planning phase of a project for Noble Energy when their office was in the Greenspoint (Gunspoint) area of Houston. Windshield got busted, called for a replacement while I was at work. "Um, no Sir we don't service that area". Um, but I hear your commercials all the time, and you will come to me if I need you. "No Sir, um, that's a bad area. We don't service that area". It is, a VERY bad area, but don't advertise like that if you can't follow through. I even said look, if you need me to stand guard with a gun while my windshield is getting replaced, I can do that. Nope.... roflmao

Re: Windshield replacement [Re: Biscuit] #8189859 03/03/21 12:10 AM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I just got the windshield in my truck replaced. $250. It cost a little more because I have a moisture sensor in it.

Re: Windshield replacement [Re: jetdad] #8189863 03/03/21 12:11 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by jetdad
I just got the windshield in my truck replaced. $250. It cost a little more because I have a moisture sensor in it.

cheers

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Windshield replacement [Re: Biscuit] #8189872 03/03/21 12:16 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
We have USAA and if our windshield cracked or gets broken by any means it is only a $50.00 deductible, they send you to one of their peeps to get replaced!
Check with your insurance carrier it may only cost you a $50.00 deductible.

Another insurance tip. If your wiring on any part of your car gets chewed up by rodents, your insurance might pay for a nominal deductible.
My neighbors engine module and wires were eaten by rodents and USAA covered it for I think their $200.00 deductible.

texas flag

Re: Windshield replacement [Re: Biscuit] #8189882 03/03/21 12:20 AM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I've got a $250 deductible. The replacement windshield was $250. I just paid out of pocket rather than file the claim and and take a brain beat down with ins.

Re: Windshield replacement [Re: Biscuit] #8189974 03/03/21 01:13 AM
P
Poppa Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
inquire with the dealer you bought the car from, or there body shop. they will have a window company that will do ya right

Re: Windshield replacement [Re: Biscuit] #8189980 03/03/21 01:16 AM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
Have had my F250 replaced about 4 times in 4 years, 450.00 bucks-ish each time.

Last edited by Superduty; 03/03/21 01:16 AM.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Windshield replacement [Re: Biscuit] #8190019 03/03/21 01:38 AM
hopalong Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
265 for 14 f150 in paris, had 2 done now.
last one was a dam rock hauler that tossed a fist sized from his trailer tires, I owe that company some payback. driver refused to give me insurance info and no cell signal so I could call a sheriff for a report.

check with local glass co. (home windows etc) that is who I use in paris, in and out in less than a hr.

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: Windshield replacement [Re: Biscuit] #8190092 03/03/21 02:28 AM
J
jhenderson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Safe lite was about $50 higher than the local mom and pop. They even came out on the weekend and had me fixed in less than an hour. Self pay was cheaper than insurance deductible so it was a no brainer.

Re: Windshield replacement [Re: Biscuit] #8190215 03/03/21 04:06 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Had a Pine tree limb fall on my F150 and crack the windshield last week as the Polar Vortex was ending. Called my agent, who is a Multi Line Independent, and he filed the claim for me, using a local independent Palestine glass shop who is not an approved Installer so I did not have to drive to Dallas or even Tyler. Total Cost to me was my $50 deductable, ordered for 2 day delivery and took about an hour to install. Service like I was family too.

FYI Travelers has been great to work with after a plumbers install mistake flooded my house 10 days before the Polar vortex. They got a moisture removal guy on site in 1 day who set up 8 or 9 water recovery fans that ran for 24hr/7 for a week and dried out the house completely saving some really expensive antique furniture & mid '60's walls and built in cabinet's , and assigned a claims coordinator on Day 1 who is OK'ing everything needed so far. Initial claim $ estimate was a little north of $10k and is now approaching more than $16k. We needed the Polar Vortex interruption like I needed another hole in my head.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Windshield replacement [Re: Biscuit] #8190221 03/03/21 04:11 AM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
My insurance agent gave me some good advice. He asked me what the minimum I would file a claim was on a collision and I told him $1k. He said great let's put your collision at 1k deductible and let's put your comprehensive at $50. Insurance actually came out cheaper that way

Re: Windshield replacement [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #8190281 03/03/21 05:48 AM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
They have great commercials

Safelite repair . . Safelite REPLACE!!!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Windshield replacement [Re: Biscuit] #8190287 03/03/21 05:52 AM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I learned recently while getting quotes for the wife’s windshield that there are WAY too many dam options/additions/gadgets involved on some of these rides. HOLY shnikeys Batman! $650 quote later, from numerous companies including Safelite and I’m still lubing up, getting ready for the big shafting I’m bout to receive. There’s no way around it with her ride. Freakin’ Germans

[Linked Image]
Re: Windshield replacement [Re: Biscuit] #8190667 03/03/21 04:14 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
hmmm, my insurance replaces with only $50 deductible ... and often times the place doing the install waives that deductible.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Windshield replacement [Re: Biscuit] #8190670 03/03/21 04:16 PM
Payne Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Online Shocked
Cat Herder
They quoted me $400 for a replacement on a f150, I laughed as I hung up the phone.

[Linked Image]
Re: Windshield replacement [Re: Poppa] #8191629 03/04/21 01:56 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Poppa
inquire with the dealer you bought the car from, or there body shop. they will have a window company that will do ya right

Dealer installed a new windshield and screwed up the seal. They attempted to fix. I told her to just take it to Safelite. Big mistake. Cost came in $250+ more then quote. Some BS about recalibrating the safety sensor. When I got the quote I told them it had the sensor. I fought it but they did not back off. I will never use Safelite again.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Windshield replacement [Re: Stump_jumper] #8191637 03/04/21 02:07 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Stump_jumper
Originally Posted by Poppa

Dealer installed a new windshield and screwed up the seal. They attempted to fix. I told her to just take it to Safelite. Big mistake. Cost came in $250+ more then quote. Some BS about recalibrating the safety sensor. When I got the quote I told them it had the sensor. I fought it but they did not back off. I will never use Safelite again.

PLUS they are supposed to source the glass based on the VIN, so it’s the right part

[Linked Image]
Re: Windshield replacement [Re: skinnerback] #8191929 03/04/21 05:14 PM
G
gtrich94 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted by skinnerback

Yep, Safelite sucks. They advertise that they will come anywhere and take care of you, BS. I was in the engineering/planning phase of a project for Noble Energy when their office was in the Greenspoint (Gunspoint) area of Houston. Windshield got busted, called for a replacement while I was at work. "Um, no Sir we don't service that area". Um, but I hear your commercials all the time, and you will come to me if I need you. "No Sir, um, that's a bad area. We don't service that area". It is, a VERY bad area, but don't advertise like that if you can't follow through. I even said look, if you need me to stand guard with a gun while my windshield is getting replaced, I can do that. Nope.... roflmao

Ha!!! I lived north of there in Spring for about 10 years and they weren't lying to you. Gunspoint mall was so bad it had it's own police sub-station and even that wasn't enough to make the place safe. It's been empty for years and I don't even think the mall is even open any longer. It's just a giant, empty parking lot now.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Windshield replacement [Re: Biscuit] #8191931 03/04/21 05:17 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I used one who came to my house. No problems.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Windshield replacement [Re: gtrich94] #8191964 03/04/21 06:03 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by gtrich94
Originally Posted by skinnerback

Ha!!! I lived north of there in Spring for about 10 years and they weren't lying to you. Gunspoint mall was so bad it had it's own police sub-station and even that wasn't enough to make the place safe. It's been empty for years and I don't even think the mall is even open any longer. It's just a giant, empty parking lot now.

LOL, yep I'm pretty sure it's closed now. That place was/is something else.

My first night staying there I reserved a room at an Extended Stay America. I'm pulling into the parking lot and my boss calls me, and asked me if I am armed. I said yes of course, I have a gun in my truck (didn't have my LTC back then). He said well make sure that you have it on you. He got there the night before I did, said there was a big shootout right behind the Extended Stay Amer. and police never even showed up. Happens all the time LOL. I only lasted a week staying there and someone busted out the window to my room while I was gone for the weekend. Got back there late Sunday night and found broken glass all over the floor, blood on the curtains, and a piece of plywood half azz nailed up over the window. It was cold & raining, and the rain was coming in, floor was all wet. I said hmn....went to the front desk and asked WTH is up with my room? Was told, of yeh we will have the window fixed some time this week. I got a different room for the night, then moved to a different place the next day in Spring actually. I also learned that it's not a good idea for a white boy in office clothes to walk to a gas station right around the corner at night in Greenspoint, LOL.

Re: Windshield replacement [Re: Biscuit] #8191968 03/04/21 06:07 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Found this. Worked for me.

"Comprehensive coverage may help pay to replace or repair a damaged windshield, if it's hit by a rock or another object. Comprehensive also helps cover damage from perils such as fire, theft, falling objects or hail. ... With full glass coverage, you may not have to pay a deductible for the repair of your windshield."

[Linked Image]

Re: Windshield replacement [Re: bill oxner] #8192024 03/04/21 07:00 PM
J
John2 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by bill oxner
I used one who came to my house. No problems.

Same here. The first time they came to where I worked and replaced it, a few years later the same ones came to the house and replaced another one for me.

Not all those that wander are lost..

Back The Men in Blue that wears a badge

Re: Windshield replacement [Re: Biscuit] #8192037 03/04/21 07:27 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
I have a good buddy that does windshields for me and family / friends, known him almost 40 years. would never consider using anyone else.

Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide