Forums46
Topics538,021
Posts9,731,919
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Just love breaking ice on the water trough... [Re: oldrancher] #8173133 02/17/21 02:18 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by oldrancher
Originally Posted by Halfadozen
put a brine mix in a couple of gallon water jugs and throw in the trough. Surprisingly it will keep most of the ice from forming.

Tell me more about this. Do you fill up the jugs with the brine mix and let them float or do you pour it into the water troughs. I have 500 gallon water troughs all over the ranch and anything I can do to help eliminate problems I am willing to learn new tricks. This cold spell has been brutal. I found one trough with a broken float and water running everywhere. It sure was cold shedding all the coats and stripping down to a t-shirt to fix the problem. Oh well. It's all part of ranching. I carry pick axes, axes and use a pitchfork to shovel out the loose ice. Warmer weather cannot come soon enough.

Put about 1/2 cup of salt into a gallon water jug - fill jug a little over 3/4 full and screw on cap. Shake it up well and place in trough. The area around the jug will not freeze.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Just love breaking ice on the water trough... [Re: glens] #8173247 02/17/21 04:01 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted by glens
Have a couple Longhorns here from the old ranch and have electric within 150 foot of the 600 gallon Galvanized livestock tank from the barn. If you have one of these, and have access to electric, "De Icer's" is will keep um clear. No matter how cold it gets around here. Got down to 5 degrees here last night and with the rolling black outs kept tanks free fom ice. [Linked Image]

I got 9 of those running via a spider web of electric cords. Don't want to think about life without them.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Just love breaking ice on the water trough... [Re: billyhunt] #8173256 02/17/21 04:07 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I had to use a pick-axe.
Neoprene fishing gloves - toasty warm fingers even wet - cheap & worth their weight in gold in times like these!

Re: Just love breaking ice on the water trough... [Re: billyhunt] #8173278 02/17/21 04:31 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Online Content
the janitor
Online Content
the janitor
J
I'm about to make one of my twice a day treks to the chicken coup to change the water. Running a little late today. I'm sure the hens will be bitching at me.

“Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will.” – Theodore Roosevelt

[Linked Image]
Re: Just love breaking ice on the water trough... [Re: bill oxner] #8173283 02/17/21 04:33 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Originally Posted by glens
Have a couple Longhorns here from the old ranch and have electric within 150 foot of the 600 gallon Galvanized livestock tank from the barn. If you have one of these, and have access to electric, "De Icer's" is will keep um clear. No matter how cold it gets around here. Got down to 5 degrees here last night and with the rolling black outs kept tanks free fom ice. [Linked Image]

You can take that to the bank. Oops, tank.

banana up

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Just love breaking ice on the water trough... [Re: billyhunt] #8173492 02/17/21 06:43 PM
BJACK21 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Roaded my tractor to cow pasture and busted the ice with the loader- worked great but next day it wouldn't start so back to the axe

Re: Just love breaking ice on the water trough... [Re: billyhunt] #8173591 02/17/21 07:43 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Before pond/tank freeze up.
55 gallon barrel top cut out, holes drilled or cut in upper 2/3 for airflow.
2 cinder blocks in bottom set on flat sides.
Set in tank/pond shallow end (easy access point ) on as flat ground as possible in about 12” ~ 18” deep water.
Stack wood in bottom carefully so the air gap in bottom made by the cinder blocks on flat sides isn’t filled or blocked. Fill barrel with wood any wood.
After tank/pond freezes up - 1/4 to 1/2 bottle charcoal lighter fluid, light it.
As the wood burns it will thaw a fairly large area, the coals will keep drinking area open for a good while.
Usually refill & light once per day, depending on weather can be every other day. This will work up to 4" - 6" of ice on top.
When weather improves remove from tank/pond dump & leave nearby for next winter.

This can work if already frozen over, IF, you know where to set the barrel on top of the ice so when melt through occurs you still have access and it falls into shallow enough water and on a level enough surface to keep from falling over or filling with water.

Re: Just love breaking ice on the water trough... [Re: Rustler] #8173709 02/17/21 09:06 PM
T
TGT Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Rustler
Before pond/tank freeze up.
55 gallon barrel top cut out, holes drilled or cut in upper 2/3 for airflow.
2 cinder blocks in bottom set on flat sides.
Set in tank/pond shallow end (easy access point ) on as flat ground as possible in about 12” ~ 18” deep water.
Stack wood in bottom carefully so the air gap in bottom made by the cinder blocks on flat sides isn’t filled or blocked. Fill barrel with wood any wood.
After tank/pond freezes up - 1/4 to 1/2 bottle charcoal lighter fluid, light it.
As the wood burns it will thaw a fairly large area, the coals will keep drinking area open for a good while.
Usually refill & light once per day, depending on weather can be every other day. This will work up to 4" - 6" of ice on top.
When weather improves remove from tank/pond dump & leave nearby for next winter.

This can work if already frozen over, IF, you know where to set the barrel on top of the ice so when melt through occurs you still have access and it falls into shallow enough water and on a level enough surface to keep from falling over or filling with water.

I had a guy tell me this yesterday. Sounds like a good plan!

I'm sticking with bucket for now... Took them a bit to get used to it.. Some run right up and others wait.. Eventually I had them all up there.. Now gotta keep them from getting stuck..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by TGT; 02/17/21 09:06 PM.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I have a little bitty one. Think that will do?

Re: Just love breaking ice on the water trough... [Re: Halfadozen] #8455554 11/21/21 09:04 PM
B
BlackSnake Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by oldrancher
put a brine mix in a couple of gallon water jugs and throw in the trough. Surprisingly it will keep most of the ice from forming.

Tell me more about this. Do you fill up the jugs with the brine mix and let them float or do you pour it into the water troughs. I have 500 gallon water troughs all over the ranch and anything I can do to help eliminate problems I am willing to learn new tricks. This cold spell has been brutal. I found one trough with a broken float and water running everywhere. It sure was cold shedding all the coats and stripping down to a t-shirt to fix the problem. Oh well. It's all part of ranching. I carry pick axes, axes and use a pitchfork to shovel out the loose ice. Warmer weather cannot come soon enough.

Put about 1/2 cup of salt into a gallon water jug - fill jug a little over 3/4 full and screw on cap. Shake it up well and place in trough. The area around the jug will not freeze.

Water in jug will not freeze because of the salt. However the water around the jug will still freeze. The salt water in the jug is the exact same temperature as that in the water outside the jug. The salt water jug is a myth

Re: Just love breaking ice on the water trough... [Re: billyhunt] #8455617 11/21/21 11:08 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Been there done that. Never again.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide