Forums46
Topics538,036
Posts9,732,231
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Ranch Dawg] #8167238 02/12/21 11:41 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Ranch Dawg
Whiskey , don’t forget to have extra whiskey. cheers

Just don't go out for a long walk after imbibing. That warm feeling doesn't mean you're warm. It can kill you out there.

Got enough Irish and Scotch to last to the Apocalypse.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Creekrunner] #8167240 02/12/21 11:43 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by Ranch Dawg
Whiskey , don’t forget to have extra whiskey. cheers

Just don't go out for a long walk after imbibing. That warm feeling doesn't mean you're warm. It can kill you out there.

Got enough Irish and Scotch to last to the Apocalypse.

Nailed it. In.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: bill oxner] #8167242 02/12/21 11:43 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Originally Posted by Blank
smile. Preventative measures are never as expensive as CORRECTIVE ones. Price a plumber or electrician these days.

Yep. You can pay them now or pay them later.

Fram

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Greg] #8167251 02/12/21 11:57 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Greg
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Originally Posted by Blank
smile. Preventative measures are never as expensive as CORRECTIVE ones. Price a plumber or electrician these days.

Yep. You can pay them now or pay them later.

Fram

Fram makes horrible oil filters.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: skinnerback] #8167257 02/13/21 12:07 AM
P
Poppa Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
P
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Even if you have a main water supply valve on the outside of your home, you always want to keep around the house the tool needed to turn the water off at the meter. These can be impossible to open and close without the tool with a long stem and handles so that you use both hands and arms to work the valve. These can be picked up at Home Depot, Lowe's, and other places for about $10. Look at orientation of the lock out holes on the valve lever and base to determine which way you need to turn to open and close it. While I've never seen one of these that wasn't left to open, right to close, the orientation of yourself to the value will determine which direction is correct to open and close. Checking the position of the lock out holes is always best. The holes being aligned with one another so that a lock can be placed through them is the closed position.

Channel lock pliers also work.

If there's enough space in the meter box to get to the meter valve and apply the necessary torque. That's why the tool works best since it gives you complete freedom with both hands, arms, and if necessary, your entire body to turn the valve lever.

I use a 6" crescent.

got a 4" on my key ring does the trick. lol

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Stub] #8167266 02/13/21 12:12 AM
P
Poppa Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
P
pay attention. if a water line freezes up, be ready when it thaws.

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: gtrich94] #8167270 02/13/21 12:14 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by gtrich94
Originally Posted by TLew
My pool is running 24/7 right now in freeze guard. A note to folks with pools -- keep an eye on the water level. If it drops (especially likely if you have a heater turned on due to increased evap), the pump may kick off due to water level/skimmer back pressure. If that happens, your equipment is screwed.
I've been watching mine and went to fill it today to find a frozen spigot. Time to deal with that issue

One other thing with pools, If you have skimmers, a main drain in the bottom of the pool and separate valves for all three, you could always turn off the valves to the skimmers and run off the main pool drain. That way it doesn't matter what the water level is around your skimmers.

Are you guys running all your aux pumps as well as the main filter? I feel kinda silly running our waterfall in this weather but can’t think the pump is going to fare well turned off.

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: krmitchell] #8167275 02/13/21 12:16 AM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by krmitchell
My pool is running 24/7 right now in freeze guard. A note to folks with pools -- keep an eye on the water level. If it drops (especially likely if you have a heater turned on due to increased evap), the pump may kick off due to water level/skimmer back pressure. If that happens, your equipment is screwed.
I've been watching mine and went to fill it today to find a frozen spigot. Time to deal with that issue

One other thing with pools, If you have skimmers, a main drain in the bottom of the pool and separate valves for all three, you could always turn off the valves to the skimmers and run off the main pool drain. That way it doesn't matter what the water level is around your skimmers.

Are you guys running all your aux pumps as well as the main filter? I feel kinda silly running our waterfall in this weather but can’t think the pump is going to fare well turned off.

I run everything including the waterfall and have never had an issue.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: TCM3] #8167283 02/13/21 12:18 AM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Originally Posted by TCM3
I wrapped some pipes and moved plants for an elderly neighbor down the road, she gave me a big lemon off her little tree... About softball size. Maybe bigger.
[Linked Image]

eek2

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Stub] #8167316 02/13/21 12:32 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Break out the Long-johns. I finally decided to practice what I preach.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Jimbo1] #8167322 02/13/21 12:34 AM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Jimbo1

I run everything including the waterfall and have never had an issue.

Thx. Do you cover your equipment pad with anything or just let the pumps do it alone? With it forecast to be 1 degree in a little concerned about the exposed pipes even if they are on.

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Stub] #8167328 02/13/21 12:39 AM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
I've never covered anything but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. I might just cover with a tarp tomorrow.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Jimbo1] #8167332 02/13/21 12:43 AM
K
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
I've never covered anything but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. I might just cover with a tarp tomorrow.

I threw some moving blankets over the pipes on the pad and have a tarp covering the entire enclosure. Thought it might be overkill but this is going to be a hard freeze for a couple days.

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Stub] #8167340 02/13/21 12:48 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I expect and don't mind if my plants around the house die back. Makes them easier to trim after the warm up.

[Linked Image]

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: krmitchell] #8167343 02/13/21 12:54 AM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J

I threw some moving blankets over the pipes on the pad and have a tarp covering the entire enclosure. Thought it might be overkill but this is going to be a hard freeze for a couple days.

I was just in the garage seeing what I might have. Moving blankets (i use to cover my truck in case of hail) and a tarp is what I found. I'll rig something up tomorrow.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: yotehater] #8167353 02/13/21 01:00 AM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by yotehater
I have a neighbor that just had his house replumbed through the attic because it kept splitting below the slab. The forecast now is bouncing around in the single digits for tuesday night.

NIGHT
Low

There is info online that says Pex can expand without breaking when it freezes. However, it weakens it and should be avoided if possible. These folks should just keep the hot and cold running slowly to be cautious.

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Stub] #8167391 02/13/21 01:31 AM
P
Pigsicles Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
I have a nice supply of the Hot Hands toe warmers that I picked up at a trade show that I am putting in the hose bib insulated covers as an extra precaution.

Pulsar Trail XQ50
Pulsar HD 19A
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Pigsicles] #8167396 02/13/21 01:35 AM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Pigsicles
I have a nice supply of the Hot Hands toe warmers that I picked up at a trade show that I am putting in the hose bib insulated covers as an extra precaution.

Now that's thinking outside the box!

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Stub] #8167444 02/13/21 02:11 AM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This is starting to freak me out y'all. -3 Tuesday morning. Anyway, off work today and our office's are already closed Monday. So far, all outdoor faucet's are covered. Cabinet's below both bathroom sinks and kitchen are open. 4 window's in our home face due north. All are sealed/taped with heavy plastic sheeting.

Was in a hurry and hoping I didn't laminate our geriatric cat between the plastic and glass.

Water meter box is stuffed with newspaper. 3 propane tanks are full and our generator runs off it or gasoline. We have 2 Mr Buddy heater's. Bought extra dog food. Indoor faucet's are on a slow drip.

Our laundry room is on an exposed wall, and feel certain the line to the washer is frozen. Didn't want to risk it so off to the laundromat. I had the best time trying to speak with an elderly hispanic lady.

Pretty sure she mentioned stocking up on cerveza. Respect your elder's kids.

Went to Walmart and bought 3 cases of beer.

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Stub] #8167488 02/13/21 02:46 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
3 cases of what? confused2

[Linked Image]

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: janie] #8167509 02/13/21 03:04 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by janie
This is starting to freak me out y'all. -3 Tuesday morning. Anyway, off work today and our office's are already closed Monday. So far, all outdoor faucet's are covered. Cabinet's below both bathroom sinks and kitchen are open. 4 window's in our home face due north. All are sealed/taped with heavy plastic sheeting.

Was in a hurry and hoping I didn't laminate our geriatric cat between the plastic and glass.

Water meter box is stuffed with newspaper. 3 propane tanks are full and our generator runs off it or gasoline. We have 2 Mr Buddy heater's. Bought extra dog food. Indoor faucet's are on a slow drip.

Our laundry room is on an exposed wall, and feel certain the line to the washer is frozen. Didn't want to risk it so off to the laundromat. I had the best time trying to speak with an elderly hispanic lady.

Pretty sure she mentioned stocking up on cerveza. Respect your elder's kids.

Went to Walmart and bought 3 cases of beer.

Always listen to the abuelitas. Well done Mija. grin up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Stub] #8167516 02/13/21 03:11 AM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
It has been freezing for several nights....think about this...

The answer is: once ice is formed, it does not expand as it gets colder. It actually shrinks becoming more dense as it gets colder. The maximum density of water is at 4 deg. ... When water is cooled below 4 degrees celsius, the volume stops decreasing and the density has reached a maximum.

Not worried here,

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Superduty] #8167523 02/13/21 03:16 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Superduty
It has been freezing for several nights....think about this...

The answer is: once ice is formed, it does not expand as it gets colder. It actually shrinks becoming more dense as it gets colder. The maximum density of water is at 4 deg. ... When water is cooled below 4 degrees celsius, the volume stops decreasing and the density has reached a maximum.

Not worried here,

English please. confused2

[Linked Image]

Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: bill oxner] #8167526 02/13/21 03:19 AM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"

Freezing is freezing. If it has not happened to your home yet you are probably ok. Now when pipes bust it is when those temps penetrate below ground (city pipes and residential) that have not been that cold along with the shifting of the soil.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Superduty; 02/13/21 03:36 AM.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Helpful Tips on Preparing Everything For The Hard Freeze. [Re: Stub] #8167581 02/13/21 04:01 AM
R
rjf1911 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide