Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: Ramblin’] #8166460 02/12/21 02:36 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
This past Tuesday I went to Eagle Pass. From Batesville to there is Hwy 57. Very good road. The speed limit on most of it is 75. I got behind a Werner semi. He would go from over 75 t0 60 mph. At a two lane passing zone he would not go to the right lane so you could pass. I was a little concerned about passing on the right because he was not driving very straight. I probably followed him for 20 miles or so and finally got where I could get around him. I could see him texting. That is the kind of driver that cause a lot of what happens on the roads.

Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: Ramblin’] #8166497 02/12/21 03:02 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
As a truck driver for seventeen years with no accidents and no moving violations, I can honestly say its a people problem... on both sides! I'm thankful I don't make my living out there today. Black ice is a bi@#%.

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: Ramblin’] #8166500 02/12/21 03:03 PM
9x19 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
First: Driver's License tests should be offered ONLY in English - can't read the test, can't read road signs.

Second: The lack of enforcement ($$) needs to be corrected before any new laws... if you aren't writing tickets under the current rules, what's the point in having more?

Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: Ramblin’] #8166505 02/12/21 03:07 PM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y
I just love those "truck drivers" that ride along side by side for miles and miles with traffic backed up behind them. Aren't they a special kind of idiot?

One shot is all it should take.
Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: Ramblin’] #8166511 02/12/21 03:09 PM
D
Davis300 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
35 is and has always been a joke. I avoid like the plague and will drive way out of my way to stay off that disaster. Cell phones/texting is the biggest disaster ever to come to driving....4 wheels or 18.

Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: Ramblin’] #8166512 02/12/21 03:10 PM
K
KHH Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
The people saying “ban big rigs, trucks, 18 wheelers, commercial vehicles, make more laws for them”.
For someone who owns and operates said machinery, it’s the same as hearing “ban guns” “make more firearm laws”.
It ain’t the truck it’s the driver.

Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: Ramblin’] #8166516 02/12/21 03:14 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Trust me for every bad experience yall have with a big truck, I have a hundred involving four wheelers. I deal with yall, and yall have to deal with us. The thing about truckers is we are both truck drivers, and four wheelers, so we have both perspectives, yall only have one. I think if yall had both yall would not only think differently, but drive differently.

The offer still stands Ramblin

Last edited by S.A. hunter; 02/12/21 03:18 PM.
Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: Ramblin’] #8166519 02/12/21 03:17 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Basically everything you own came to you on a truck. Stopping trucks from driving in rush hour would basically stop U.S. Commerce. Most of the time the only thing moving on Interstate highways after about 10pm at night are trucks.

As mentioned its the drivers, not the trucks. Start issuing citations for Impeding Traffic to the run side by side for miles truck drivers and it will stop.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: Ramblin’] #8166524 02/12/21 03:19 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Can I be the first to point out this sounds an awful lot like a gun control argument, only using Big rigs as the scapegoat.....

Pony up and take responsibility for yourself, don't expect your life to be easy nor fair, and realize there are things in life that can kill you, rare, but they are out there.

I would rather someone make a living than restrict what they can do for a living.

Seriously, some of you guys can sure not see the trees through the forest sometimes.

Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: LeonCarr] #8166553 02/12/21 03:33 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by LeonCarr
Basically everything you own came to you on a truck. Stopping trucks from driving in rush hour would basically stop U.S. Commerce. Most of the time the only thing moving on Interstate highways after about 10pm at night are trucks.

As mentioned its the drivers, not the trucks. Start issuing citations for Impeding Traffic to the run side by side for miles truck drivers and it will stop.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Yep, there was a reason I worked fourteen and a half hours yesterday, and It was because all of yall wanted to run out to the stores and buy stuff for the "winter storm".... see how that works. Yall put us on the road.

As for the two trucks running side by side...... yeah this frustrates us too. Not all truck drivers are created equal. If another truck tries to pass me and is struggling to do so, the courteous thing to do is to drop 5 mph to allow a faster pass, but some drivers are azzholes, and like to hang the other drivers out to dry in the fast lane...... I dont get it, but yeah it happens.

Last edited by S.A. hunter; 02/12/21 03:41 PM.
Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: Ramblin’] #8166557 02/12/21 03:36 PM
R
Ramblin’ Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
I am absolutely not for more rules and regs. We all know the government needs way less control of our lives not more.
I’m also not ever going to tell another man how to make his living. Just thinking out loud.

SA Hunter, not interested in spending more time behind the windshield. 👍
I would assume we have probably driven countless hours down the same stretch of road. Probably at the same time.
Obviously you are a professional and good for you. Lots aren’t.
It ain’t personal.
It would help immensely if they would quit adding one lane at a time year after year.
35 is THE major artery from Canada to Mexico. It needs to be treated as such.

Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: Texas buckeye] #8166565 02/12/21 03:38 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Can I be the first to point out this sounds an awful lot like a gun control argument, only using Big rigs as the scapegoat.....

Pony up and take responsibility for yourself, don't expect your life to be easy nor fair, and realize there are things in life that can kill you, rare, but they are out there.

I would rather someone make a living than restrict what they can do for a living.

Seriously, some of you guys can sure not see the trees through the forest sometimes.

Yeah, man. We are already heavily regulated. We have bigger fines, no defensive driving, have to take Dot physicals, drug test it goes on and on, and thats just on the drivers side of the business. The companies have to jump through far more hoops.

Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: KHH] #8166567 02/12/21 03:38 PM
S
Sailor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by KHH
The people saying “ban big rigs, trucks, 18 wheelers, commercial vehicles, make more laws for them”.
For someone who owns and operates said machinery, it’s the same as hearing “ban guns” “make more firearm laws”.
It ain’t the truck it’s the driver.

Truth..................................It ain't the truck, it's the driver...................(and some of'em, are just jackwagons)
They are big, they are heavy, they are dangerous.... It's, just the nature of the beast...................
you've ever ridden the hi-ways.... You've seen the asphalt alligators, they leave
behind.......... A terror, for bikers... Especially, at night.........
All that, having been said..........................
IF THEY STOP............AMERICA STOPS..................................
So, show them the respect, (and the distance) they deserve.............
You can't eliminate the dangers of big rigs.................
So drive defensively............

Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: Ramblin’] #8166578 02/12/21 03:45 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Y'all can thank your gutless political leaders for canning the TransTexas Corridor several years back. That project was going to be a HUGE reliever for our congested highways. This state has experienced explosive population growth and we have not added a single new MAJOR highway. Sure some roads have been widened a bit or loops around the metros added, but the model for mid- to late-1900s traffic congestion doesn't suit our needs as a state looking forward. We are also behind on water reservoirs, but that is another topic.

Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: Texas buckeye] #8166605 02/12/21 03:52 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

Nailed it.

Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: Ramblin’] #8166623 02/12/21 04:03 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Ramblin’
I am absolutely not for more rules and regs. We all know the government needs way less control of our lives not more.
I’m also not ever going to tell another man how to make his living. Just thinking out loud.

SA Hunter, not interested in spending more time behind the windshield. 👍
I would assume we have probably driven countless hours down the same stretch of road. Probably at the same time.
Obviously you are a professional and good for you. Lots aren’t.
It ain’t personal.
It would help immensely if they would quit adding one lane at a time year after year.
35 is THE major artery from Canada to Mexico. It needs to be treated as such.

Originally Posted by Ramblin’
Prayers out for those folks up North today. Makes me sick to my stomach to even think about.

I rarely drive in DFW but I do drive a ton between Round Rock down to the valley and west Texas.
I spend more hours behind the windshield than most and I can’t believe more folks aren’t killed on I-35 every day.
The big rigs ARE a problem. We all have our thoughts, but mine are as follows.
1. Them dudes don’t get to do 70-80 mph down the road. That’s just too damn fast for the stopping distance.
2. They should not be able to drive in major cities during rush hour

I certainly don’t want to tell another man how to do his job, but if I was a commercial driver I would NOT want to be anywhere near Austin, SA or DFW except after 8PM.

There are definitely some good truck drivers out there but most these days are time crunched, selfish A-holes. They cause or are involved in almost every wreck or traffic jam I see. Again, there are some good ones.
When do TXDOT and DPS bear some of this responsibility? (Sh!t traffic patterns and 18 wheelers not getting pulled over for speeding or aggressive driving)

Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: Ramblin’] #8166624 02/12/21 04:03 PM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y
Absolutely... It's not the gun it's the reckless, lawless, careless owners.

When they governed their speed is when these congested problems came up. Now one will try to pass and there's no way he can pass going up a hill against the governor. I've seen countless road rage accidents caused by these rigs stacking up traffic. This didn't happen before, back when drivers were looked at as the knights of the highways. I hardly ever see a courteous driver anymore.

One shot is all it should take.
Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: yotehater] #8166638 02/12/21 04:11 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by yotehater
Absolutely... It's not the gun it's the reckless, lawless, careless owners.

When they governed their speed is when these congested problems came up. Now one will try to pass and there's no way he can pass going up a hill against the governor. I've seen countless road rage accidents caused by these rigs stacking up traffic. This didn't happen before, back when drivers were looked at as the knights of the highways. I hardly ever see a courteous driver anymore.

Yeah, I think trucks should governed no lower then the highest speed limit of the roads that they are driving on, but companies care more about gallons per mile. Of course they don't have to deal with all the drivers we piss off from the comfort of their desk.....

Last edited by S.A. hunter; 02/12/21 04:12 PM.
Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: 603Country] #8166753 02/12/21 05:22 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by 603Country
Wife and I try to stay off I-35 as much as we can. We really do call it ‘the highway of death’.

We take 281 instead........much safer and pretty scenic......

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: Ramblin’] #8166799 02/12/21 06:00 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I apologize for not reading all this real close. I guess im just a very tolerant person, and this would apply to many things besides driving and road/travel issues. Im probably on the roads about an average amount and its never crossed my mind that trucks run side by side. Now that I think about it I know they do but I guess I give everyone the benefit of the doubt that theres a reason. Im sure not gonna get worked up about it, too many REAL problems.
I remember other threads on here about guys freaking out when people drive in the left lane. Until I read it on here, it never crossed my mind to even notice it.
Sorry I didnt address the deeper issue of big rigs, safety and more/less regulations, but ill let yall hash that out. Everybody be safe out there, especially SA and the truckers.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #8166810 02/12/21 06:12 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted by 603Country
Wife and I try to stay off I-35 as much as we can. We really do call it ‘the highway of death’.

We take 281 instead........much safer and pretty scenic......

We do the same or hwy.16.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: S.A. hunter] #8166830 02/12/21 06:26 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

Yeah, man. We are already heavily regulated. We have bigger fines, no defensive driving, have to take Dot physicals, drug test it goes on and on, and thats just on the drivers side of the business. The companies have to jump through far more hoops.

Don't forget the Texas Hammer S.A. hunter <Grrrr>

hammer

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: decook] #8166841 02/12/21 06:32 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by decook
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

Don't forget the Texas Hammer S.A. hunter <Grrrr>

hammer

I hate those scum of the earth lawyers......

Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: Ramblin’] #8166845 02/12/21 06:36 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
I hate those scum of the earth lawyers......

I was trying to find a "Wiley coyote" type run over flat in the road pic, but there aren't any.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: General state of IH-35 [Re: yotehater] #8166853 02/12/21 06:41 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by yotehater
I just love those "truck drivers" that ride along side by side for miles and miles with traffic backed up behind them. Aren't they a special kind of idiot?

That isn't unique to truck drivers. Lots of cars try to pass a car/semi by going .000001 mph faster. roflmao

27 miles later they make it around.

LETS GO BRANDON
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide