Forums46
Topics538,032
Posts9,732,155
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl #8143209 01/25/21 10:10 PM
dogcatcher Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/a...Pepsi-brands-in-sitting-out-15895408.php

Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl
MAE ANDERSON and DEE-ANN DURBIN
AP Business Writers
Jan. 25, 2021
Updated: Jan. 25, 2021 10:09 a.m.
Comments
FILE - In this Feb. 22, 2017 file photo, singer Bruno Mars performs on stage at the Brit Awards 2017 in London. Mars may have wrapped up his massive
FILE - In this Feb. 22, 2017 file photo, singer Bruno Mars performs on stage at the Brit Awards 2017 in London. Mars may have wrapped up his massive "24K Magic World Tour" last year, but the singer gave one more glimpse into his stellar show the night before the Super Bowl. Some concertgoers danced down the aisles, others threw their hands up high and the majority recited Mars' lyrics at the Bud Light Super Bowl Music Fest on Saturday night, Feb. 2, 2019, in Atlanta. (Photo by Joel Ryan/Invision/AP, file)Joel Ryan/Joel Ryan/Invision/AP
NEW YORK (AP) — For the first time since 1983, when Anheuser-Busch used all of its ad time to introduce a beer called Bud Light, the beer giant isn't advertising its iconic Budweiser brand during the Super Bowl. Instead, it’s donating the money it would have spent on the ad to coronavirus vaccination awareness efforts.

Anheuser-Busch still has four minutes of advertising during the game for its other brands including Bud Light, Bud Light Seltzer Lemonade, Michelob Ultra and Michelob Ultra Organic Seltzer. Those are some of its hottest sellers, particularly among younger viewers.

But the decision to not do an anthemic Budweiser ad — which over nearly four decades has made American icons of frogs chirping “Budweiser,” guys screaming “Whassup!”, and of course the Budweiser Clydesdales — showcases the caution with which some advertisers are approaching the first COVID-era Super Bowl.

“We have a pandemic that is casting a pall over just about everything,” said Paul Argenti, Dartmouth College professor of corporate communication. “It’s hard to feel the exuberance and excitement people normally would.”

The Anheuser-Busch move follows a similar announcement from PepsiCo., which won't be advertising its biggest brand, Pepsi, in order to focus on its sponsorship of the the halftime show. (It will be advertising Mountain Dew and Frito-Lay products). Other veteran Super Bowl advertisers like Coke, Audi and Avocados from Mexico are sitting out the game altogether.

These big-brand absences are just one more way Super Bowl LV will look very different from previous years. Attendance at the game will be limited to 22,000 people, about a third of the more than 65,890 capacity of Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida. And Super Bowl parties will be more likely to be smaller affairs with pods or families.

“I think the advertisers are correctly picking up on this being a riskier year for the Super Bowl," said Charles Taylor, marketing professor at Villanova University. “With COVID and economic uncertainty, people aren’t necessarily in the best mood to begin with. There’s a risk associated with messages that are potentially too light. ... At the same time, there's risk associated with doing anything too somber."

The pandemic has cut sharply into sales for many Super Bowl advertisers. With pricey ads costing an estimated $5.5 million for 30 seconds during the Feb. 7 broadcast on CBS, some may have decided it's not worth it this year. Coca-Cola, for example, has been hard hit since half of its sales come from stadiums, movie theaters and other usually crowded places that have been closed during the pandemic. It announced layoffs in December, and said it said it wouldn't advertise this year to ensure it's "investing in the right resources during these unprecedented times.”

To fill the void, newcomers like the TikTok rival Triller, online freelance marketplace Fiverr and online car seller Vroom are rushing in to take their place. Returning brands include M&M’s, Pringles, Toyota and others.

Companies that are running ads this year face a number of challenges. Super Bowl ads are usually developed months in advance and shot in the fall, meaning that ads airing in two weeks were shot under costly pandemic conditions and without any idea how the presidential election would turn out. That further complicates the already delicate process of striking a tone that acknowledges what's happening with the world, managing to either entertain or tug at viewer heartstrings, and finding a way to tie it all back to their brand.

“It's a tough year to do an ad," Argenti said. “It will be a good year for creative companies who figure out how to thread that needle."

Monica Rustgi, Budweiser’s vice president of marketing, said the brand is still calculating how much it will spend on vaccine awareness. But she said it will be a “multi-million dollar” commitment that includes donating airtime throughout this year for the nonprofit the Ad Council and COVID Collaborative’s COVID-19 Vaccine Education Initiative.

Budweiser will still have a marketing presence around the big game. Starting Monday, the brand will air an ad that celebrates resilience during the pandemic, including a socially distanced birthday parade and athletes in Black Lives Matter jerseys. The ad, narrated by actress and director Rashida Jones, ends with health care workers getting vaccinated and talks about Budweiser’s donation.

In the era of social media and digital advertising, brands aren’t limited to running ads during one event, since consumers can see them online, everywhere from Facebook and Twitter to YouTube, Budweiser's Rustgi said. Budweiser’s Super Bowl step-back also won’t be long-term, she said.

“The Super Bowl is the most popular sports event, aside from the World Cup, that anybody is going to see," added Dartmouth's Argenti. “An event that draws that many people to the advertising is never going to go away."

——-

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: dogcatcher] #8143229 01/25/21 10:31 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
The nfl still doesn't get it. Money talks.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8143271 01/25/21 10:56 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

First thing I thought of is those cheap bastages know the ratings will be down because of all of the NFL political BS fallout and loss of fans so they do not want to waste their money.

texas flag

Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: Stub] #8143274 01/25/21 10:59 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Stub

First thing I thought of is those cheap bastages know the ratings will be down because of all of the NFL political BS fallout and loss of fans so they do not want to waste their money.

That's not in the article but probably part of it.

To be determined
Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8143308 01/25/21 11:18 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Originally Posted by Stub

That's not in the article but probably part of it.

I don't think the political fallout has one thing to do with it. I doubt that they are equating ant lower viewership to politics.
On another note, I have not watched one minute of Football this year...and I don't miss it.

Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: dogcatcher] #8143316 01/25/21 11:22 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Pure unadulterated crap.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: dogcatcher] #8143325 01/25/21 11:25 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
They know viewership is in the toilet they ain't dumb.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8143333 01/25/21 11:27 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: dogcatcher] #8143354 01/25/21 11:34 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Im far from a marketing(or political) expert, but I would figure its strictly a business decision based on return of their advertising dollars based on expected viewership. I never watch that much football(deer season mostly along with being a doer and not a watcher) but I do and will watch the Super Bowl.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: dogcatcher] #8143379 01/25/21 11:43 PM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Simply a statement on how outrageous the prices have become. Trying to swing the momentum downward.

Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: Roll-Tide] #8143385 01/25/21 11:47 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
People are cutting the cord and not watching .............its that simple.

Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: dogcatcher] #8143415 01/26/21 12:18 AM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I don’t even know when the game is, and I don’t care. I do not watch pro football.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: dogcatcher] #8143418 01/26/21 12:20 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Nothing but another horse carp story. Nothing but the connected players moving money around to push the lies for the reset.

Budweiser will still have a marketing presence around the big game. Starting Monday, the brand will air an ad that celebrates resilience during the pandemic, including a socially distanced birthday parade and athletes in Black Lives Matter jerseys. The ad, narrated by actress and director Rashida Jones, ends with health care workers getting vaccinated and talks about Budweiser’s donation.

[Linked Image]
Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: dogcatcher] #8143421 01/26/21 12:21 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Gonna ask a different angle to the question:

So AB says they still have 4 minutes to advert their underling brands, which they will use to promote their seltzers and other beta male brands, but they are removing their iconic “anthemic” advert. This is the typical feel good about America advertisement they always make that makes everyone feel good about America.

Is this really a fat punch in the face to all us blue blooded Americans to say we don’t want your kind and instead we want a bunch of seltzer drinking beta males (like the european brand male) or just AB’s way of saying we aren’t sold on the “American” brand anymore?

Since they are still spending millions on 4 minutes of advert, i see this differently than most have posted above...

Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: dogcatcher] #8143425 01/26/21 12:25 AM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Them not selling their iconic brand during the Super Bowl has made news. They don’t waste money on add space AND people STILL talk about it. It’s a win win.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: 603Country] #8143432 01/26/21 12:29 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by 603Country
I don’t even know when the game is, and I don’t care. I do not watch pro football.

look what you will be missing roflmao

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: Bullfrog] #8143435 01/26/21 12:31 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Bullfrog
Them not selling their iconic brand during the Super Bowl has made news. They don’t waste money on add space AND people STILL talk about it. It’s a win win.

would of never heard of but for the usual folks that push the mainstream propaganda.

[Linked Image]
Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: 603Country] #8143436 01/26/21 12:32 AM
M
MBradford Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 603Country

Yet, here you are, posting on a pro football thread...

Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: fadetoblack64] #8143442 01/26/21 12:36 AM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Originally Posted by stealtherest64
People are cutting the cord and not watching .............its that simple.

X2

Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: dogcatcher] #8143460 01/26/21 12:48 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Run off your audience and you lose advertising sales. Seems simple to me. The NFL is dying and I’m loving it:

Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: dogcatcher] #8143489 01/26/21 01:00 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Remember Gillette’s toxic masculinity commercial a few years back? They lost $8 billion after that Super Bowl add. One minute of pure stupidity cost them a boat load of cash. Again, lesson for those idiotic companies who decide to alienate their base.

Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: dogcatcher] #8143491 01/26/21 01:02 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Amazing you guys have connected this to a protest of sorts of the NFL.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: dogcatcher] #8143496 01/26/21 01:06 AM
dogcatcher Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Bud, Coke and Pepsi could go for a month without any ads, and their sales would not be down.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: dogcatcher] #8143508 01/26/21 01:14 AM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Bud, Coke and Pepsi could go for a month without any ads, and their sales would not be down.

I feel like they could stop doing ads all together

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Budweiser joins Coke, Pepsi brands in sitting out Super Bowl [Re: dogcatcher] #8143524 01/26/21 01:20 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by dogcatcher

Isn’t that the point? They don’t overpay for SB adds, risk offending customers and their revenues aren’t impacted. The NFL needs them not the other way around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide