Forums46
Topics538,050
Posts9,732,357
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Buddy Heater with external Propane tank - Beware [Re: CharlieCTx] #8100538 12/23/20 01:21 PM
B
Boone Dozer Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
A little different type of heater mishap but when I was a kid me, my dad, and some close friends would all go hunting at our lease the entire week of thanksgiving every year. Well it was always cold but at one of our nicer stands we had a space heater inside with a propane tank mounted on the outside. One cold morning a man who is like a grandpa to me got in there and fired up the heater. Like usual it was dark when he got in there that morning and didn't think anything of it. Well... its been a long time and I cant remember who was in that stand the night before but it wasn't cold the previous evening and the space heater was used more as a shelf. So, after about 10 minutes or so went by all hell broke loose in that stand, turns out someone left 4 or 5 bullets sitting on top of the heater! Needless to say he almost tore the door off that deer stand trying to get outta there!! The top of the heater was all dented in and damaged and there was a good amount of bullet pieces stuck in the walls around the heater, I'm sure his boxers took a fair amount of damage too that morning! hahaha!! We all laughed about it afterwards but he was really lucky! That was prolly 30 years ago but to this day I think about it every time I'm in a stand on a cold morning!

Re: Buddy Heater with external Propane tank - Beware [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8100694 12/23/20 03:32 PM
S
SemperFiHunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
SW- Holy Smokes, (Pun intended) Batman!

My knees would have been trembling while closing the valve on that tank!!!

Lucky man indeed!

SFH

Re: Buddy Heater with external Propane tank - Beware [Re: CharlieCTx] #8100802 12/23/20 05:12 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
OP, maybe 1 (or more) of your lease mates is tired of your [censored]. If you find a ticking package in your stand on your next hunting trip, we’ll know the answer.

Re: Buddy Heater with external Propane tank - Beware [Re: maximus_flavius] #8100915 12/23/20 07:13 PM
CharlieCTx Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
OP, maybe 1 (or more) of your lease mates is tired of your [censored]. If you find a ticking package in your stand on your next hunting trip, we’ll know the answer.

You know, that's an excellent point. They're probably jealous of my hunting success (big buck in 15 minutes), outstanding marksmanship skills (DRT are my real initials), exceptional personality (I generally draw a crowd), good looks (chicks really dig me), well, I could go on...

Maybe though, they are acting under duress due to pressure from our notoriously persnickety LO. Just doing his bidding to stay on good terms like little minions.

[Linked Image]

I'll definitely keep an eye out for things "out of place". At least now I know I won't be taken out by a"mysterious explosion" at the lease given I have a public record of said event now.

Thanks for looking out for me Flavio!

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Buddy Heater with external Propane tank - Beware [Re: CharlieCTx] #8100938 12/23/20 07:41 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Being cold ain't so bad...

Re: Buddy Heater with external Propane tank - Beware [Re: CharlieCTx] #8103290 12/25/20 09:01 PM
L
Lalo Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Charlie:
Were you using a Buddy hose, or generic? I think the generic would attach to the heater at the same place as the small bottles, but the special Buddy hose-- which they recommend when using large propane bottles -- has its own attachment point. Still trying to figure out what happened, since I use one of these heaters with a large propane tank, and want to be sure it doesn't blow up.
Thank you for posting this, by the way. Always helpful when people make others aware of potential dangers.

Re: Buddy Heater with external Propane tank - Beware [Re: Brother Phil] #8103339 12/25/20 10:15 PM
D
dawgkllr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D

I did. Thank you for clearing it up!

Originally Posted by Brother Phil
Charlie, I think in the post regarding the regulator, he has it confused with the filter. The regulator is built in. Again, glad you were not hurt.

Originally Posted by Brother Phil
Charlie, I think in the post regarding the regulator, he has it confused with the filter. The regulator is built in. Again, glad you were not hurt.

That old crackheaded commie (Bernie Sanders) has lost his damn mind.. in 1983
Re: Buddy Heater with external Propane tank - Beware [Re: Lalo] #8103620 12/26/20 04:52 AM
CharlieCTx Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Lalo
Charlie:
Were you using a Buddy hose, or generic? I think the generic would attach to the heater at the same place as the small bottles, but the special Buddy hose-- which they recommend when using large propane bottles -- has its own attachment point. Still trying to figure out what happened, since I use one of these heaters with a large propane tank, and want to be sure it doesn't blow up.
Thank you for posting this, by the way. Always helpful when people make others aware of potential dangers.

Lalo

Not sure I understand the question... The filter shown above attaches to the heater where you would normally attach the small green propane cylinder, then the hose to the large propane tank attaches to the filter. ?

It’s my belief I had some kind of leak below at the tank, but completely unknown to me how I could have lit it off from inside the blind, with such a small/obstructed holes the path to a tank 4ft or so below me.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Buddy Heater with external Propane tank - Beware [Re: CharlieCTx] #8103719 12/26/20 02:07 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Maybe a little static had built up. Cool, dry air are great conditions for a sudden discharge, and if there's a leak nearby...kablooey! flame

[Linked Image]
Re: Buddy Heater with external Propane tank - Beware [Re: CharlieCTx] #8105296 12/28/20 04:54 AM
H
HS2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Wear enough layers of shirts and pants and you’ll stay warm in any cold weather without all the hassle of heaters.

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: Buddy Heater with external Propane tank - Beware [Re: CharlieCTx] #8110092 01/01/21 01:09 AM
T
timberghost Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
I've run a Big Buddy with an external propane tank for 3-4 years, multiple tanks. My 8x6 fiberglass blind is on a utility trailer, about 4-5 feet above the trailer floor. This AM I swapped in a new tank down below and a few hours later reattached the external hose (I used the remainder of small Coleman tank) to the heater and attempted a re-light. Didn't fire right up, so I assumed it needed to flow up from the tank below, paused 10-15 seconds and hit the pilot re-light again. After about 10 seconds, got an unusual puff of blue flame and what sounded like the propane tank exploding below. It scared the shat out of me! It was loud, shook the whole blind and knocked things off the upper shelf. One of my lease-mates a ways away heard it. The hole in the floor is maybe a 1/2", but is largely stuffed full with the propane hose and some wires. The tank looked untouched, the hose looked untouched. Nonetheless they are both gone now, I'm going back to the Coleman tanks. I have no idea what happened or how it happened, but not taking another chance.

Please be careful and NEVER put the tank in the blind/tent/camper with you.

Charlie

Thats crazy man.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide