Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: tlk] #8079526 12/07/20 04:11 PM
H
HogNut Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Kudos, I hope some day I can be a part of a similar program!

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.” – Henry David Thoreau
Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: tlk] #8079623 12/07/20 05:21 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Wow, what a deer. I'm not sure I could ever let a world record class deer walk, no matter the age. Too many things to go wrong....he damages in velvet, gets hurt, breaks off a tine, etc.

Y'alls management is truly special....how a true trophy hunting ranch should be ran. Congrats and would love to see the pics for the last 3 years.

Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: tlk] #8079830 12/07/20 07:24 PM
J
Jeff in TX Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by Jeff in TX
Originally Posted by tlk
I'm curious, how many acres is the LF lease? Does it back up to any HF ranches. How much protein are you feeding? Being a bit skeptical, it's one thing to have a buck of a lifetime on a low fence property where the deer can come as go as they please, and the folks on adjoining leases would drop in heart beat! However, when there are multiple 200 class deer on a LF lease and they're there year after year it makes me ask how? Game management is one thing and something myself and my neighbors all work together on, but what's your secret? Yes, great genetics being passed down I get, though on low fence you don't have control of the does genetics. It takes two to create a 200 plus deer plus great food and protein. Even in deer breeding programs, not all bucks born have what it takes to be monsters. This is made even harder to produce on LF deer with unknown genetics.

Just curious how big your lease is and what you're doing in the game management program, that a lot of us aren't!

So Jeff - I noticed this is your first post here in over two months. Please tell us about the J&D ranch north? How many acres? LF or HF? How much protein do you feed? Pics of your deer? Management program? Who are your neighbors? Fill us in please on how you run your ranch?

If you really must know, on Oct 1st I was placed on a ventilator and put in a coma for six days with Covid, I spent 16 days in the ICU. I lost 30 pounds of muscle mass during those 16 days. I spent a total of 40 days in the hospital. I'm learning how to walk all over as well as eat and swallow. The breathing tube gave me ulcers in my throat narrowing my throat passage. I have physical, occupational and throat therapy five days a week. Though not all in one day, physical therapy 3 days a week and OP and throat two days a week. PM me, I'll give you my real name and you can go on my FB page it's all well documented with my ups downs and my progress. Most of which my wife posted.

I just started getting back on line and looking around. Sat evening was my first time in a deer stand. My wife drove me to the stand helped me get in and then picked me up. When I get back for PT later this morning I'll answer your questions about my ranch!

Please where a mask. Covid is no joke!

I am sorry you got covid and hope you recover fully - no need to answer any questions - carry on

It's not been a fun couple of months. We own a 162 acre ranch in Young County, not huge but it's ours. On my west side I have two neighbors one with a 162 acre ranch and the other with 325 acres. Across the main Rd to my north my neighbor has 325 acres. We all work together on game management and share game pics. We work with our local state game biologist and he tells us the shooters and based on our herd size how many does to take. Our deer genetics produce 120, 130 & some low 140 class bucks. For the last four years minus this year, I've taken a couple 130's, one 142 and a couple 120 class bucks. My neighbor to the west took a 158 10 point four or five years ago. None of us saw him on camera nor had we ever seen a buck that big on our cameras. It was in the middle of the rut, great deer and we always hope to see another.. My neighbor to my south high fenced his 168 acres and put trophy WT in and a bunch of exotics. His HF covers my ranch and my neighbors entire south fence. Don't get me started on HF, as HF 168 acres is ridiculous if you ask me. To my east my neighbor has large wheat fields.

I have two big boss 150 lb gravity fed protein feeders and I run seven corn feeders and stands. We don't hunt the protein feeders. Yes, seven corn feeders is a bit much for 168 acres but I need places for the boys and their buddies to hunt when they all come out. Each stand has pics of shooters and non-shooter bucks I start filling the protein feeders in early April. Usually we fill each protein every four to six weeks. I usually keep them filled until rifle season. This year since I was in the hospital I'm not sure when they went dry.

On the covid front, I finally started walking without a walker or cane. Though my balance is not great. Four weeks ago I could walk 30 yards with my walker before wanting to collapse. I can know walk a 1/4 mile but I'm very wibbily wobbly so my wife stays close if I go down, which I've only done once. Going back to work 1/2 days next Monday. I'm an engineer and work from home but any type of normalcy I can get helps me greatly. Plus it's our slow part of the season with X-mas and New Years. It will be nice to chat with peers.

My apologies, I've never heard of a LF producing multiple 200 class buck. Y'all are very fortunate.

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!
Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: tlk] #8079908 12/07/20 08:21 PM
B
BOLT GUY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Jeff if you need someone to fill your feeders or any help at the ranch let me know. I'm not too far from you, over in Baylor county Megargel.
I'll be out there this weekend and have already filled my buck tags. Just hunting for fun now and to assist my wife and daughters when they come out.
Seriously if you need help I can be there!!

Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: BOLT GUY] #8079911 12/07/20 08:24 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Bolt Guy - man that is very thoughtful of you

You can't fix stupid
Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: tlk] #8079933 12/07/20 08:39 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
The LO and our members are all on the same page when it comes to management.

That ^ is a fact!

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: BOLT GUY] #8080034 12/07/20 09:37 PM
J
Jeff in TX Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted by BOLT GUY
Jeff if you need someone to fill your feeders or any help at the ranch let me know. I'm not too far from you, over in Baylor county Megargel.
I'll be out there this weekend and have already filled my buck tags. Just hunting for fun now and to assist my wife and daughters when they come out.
Seriously if you need help I can be there!!

Boltguy,

Many thanks and I would like to meet up since you're very close. We had a small army of help from our friends in town. The actually had a Care Flight Ambulance take me from Wichita Falls Regional hospital to Presby Allen Hospital where I spent 16 days in the ICU and a total of 40 days. The put me on the ventilator while in route to Allen. Folks came everyday to feed and stay with the dogs, put hay out for the cows. One weekend a few buddies showed up to cut grass and fill the feeders. I owe so many people so much for all their help and a lot of it was not by asking. They simple did what needed to be done to help up us. In-debted is what my wife and I are to all of them. I would have done the same for them. PM on the way!

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!
Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: b weezy] #8080157 12/07/20 11:03 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by b weezy
eek2

PM sent

You can't fix stupid
Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: tlk] #8080360 12/08/20 01:38 AM
T
TRoberts Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
WOW. Im not sure what's more impressive, the deer or y'all's ability to let him walk after this year!!! That is the most beautiful typical I've ever seen!!! I may have missed it while going through the thread, but what region is your lease in?

Originally Posted by Sneaky
He gave me plenty.
Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: TRoberts] #8080377 12/08/20 01:48 AM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by TRoberts
WOW. Im not sure what's more impressive, the deer or y'all's ability to let him walk after this year!!! That is the most beautiful typical I've ever seen!!! I may have missed it while going through the thread, but what region is your lease in?

we are deep south texas -

You can't fix stupid
Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: tlk] #8080389 12/08/20 01:55 AM
W
WRBCGuru Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
any openings coming up on that lease?

Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: WRBCGuru] #8080524 12/08/20 03:27 AM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I brag on tlk and his place all the time. He truly has it going on and I know it wasnt easy to get it started nor is it easy to keep it going. One of the better looking bucks I have ever seen. I understand the program and the need for discipline but Im just not sure I could ask my guys to pass that up. I know tlk makes some guys jealous when he posts deer like that and I know he holds back posting more but I am so glad he posts cause they are a thing of beauty and I love looking.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: cowie14] #8080581 12/08/20 04:29 AM
cowie14 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
[quote=cowie14 I'm just going to throw this out there. Do you think a high fence around your lease would worsen or better your program based on the acreage you have? All hypothetical [/quote]

??

Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: freerange] #8080688 12/08/20 12:15 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by cowie14
[quote=cowie14 I'm just going to throw this out there. Do you think a high fence around your lease would worsen or better your program based on the acreage you have? All hypothetical

??[/quote]

Originally Posted by freerange
I brag on tlk and his place all the time. He truly has it going on and I know it wasnt easy to get it started nor is it easy to keep it going. One of the better looking bucks I have ever seen. I understand the program and the need for discipline but Im just not sure I could ask my guys to pass that up. I know tlk makes some guys jealous when he posts deer like that and I know he holds back posting more but I am so glad he posts cause they are a thing of beauty and I love looking.

Appreciate it - last thing I try to do is make somebody else jealous - I just enjoy sharing with other hunters what we do and I enjoy seeing and hearing what other hunters/leases do and picking their brain. Always trying to learn and get new ideas.

There are folks here who I have exchanged information via private message and/or phone talking about our management plan and lease as well as others not on this forum. I have also learned a lot from others on this forum.

You can't fix stupid
Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: JCB] #8081203 12/08/20 05:34 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by JCB
Jaw dropper!!! Truly world class!

This X 10

Wow

What a fantastic buck for sure and I couldn't agree with your more TLK

They cannot get to their full potential unless you let em walk!

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: tlk] #8081222 12/08/20 05:48 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
God, I wish I could say that I would let that one walk for one more year. But that would be dishonest of me.
Beautiful buck Sir.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: tlk] #8081314 12/08/20 06:59 PM
D
Dodge_Rock Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D

[Linked Image]
[/quote]

I think the only regret you'll have is when he's gone. Managing for ultimate LF bucks doesn't get any better than this. Congrats on your efforts & patience.

Last edited by Dodge_Rock; 12/08/20 07:03 PM.
Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: tlk] #8081392 12/08/20 08:04 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Have you ever found any of his sheds?

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: Mr. T.] #8081402 12/08/20 08:12 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Have you ever found any of his sheds?

We have not and we have a shed hunt weekend every year - would love to find them when they drop this year for sure!

You can't fix stupid
Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: tlk] #8081410 12/08/20 08:24 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Wouldnt a pro photographer pay to try and photograph him. He really is THAT special. I would pay to have a quality print of that animal.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: tlk] #8081524 12/08/20 09:47 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
photograph or photoshop?

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: Jeff in TX] #8081529 12/08/20 09:50 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by tlk
I'm curious, how many acres is the LF lease? Does it back up to any HF ranches. How much protein are you feeding? Being a bit skeptical, it's one thing to have a buck of a lifetime on a low fence property where the deer can come as go as they please, and the folks on adjoining leases would drop in heart beat! However, when there are multiple 200 class deer on a LF lease and they're there year after year it makes me ask how? Game management is one thing and something myself and my neighbors all work together on, but what's your secret? Yes, great genetics being passed down I get, though on low fence you don't have control of the does genetics. It takes two to create a 200 plus deer plus great food and protein. Even in deer breeding programs, not all bucks born have what it takes to be monsters. This is made even harder to produce on LF deer with unknown genetics.

Just curious how big your lease is and what you're doing in the game management program, that a lot of us aren't!

So Jeff - I noticed this is your first post here in over two months. Please tell us about the J&D ranch north? How many acres? LF or HF? How much protein do you feed? Pics of your deer? Management program? Who are your neighbors? Fill us in please on how you run your ranch?

If you really must know, on Oct 1st I was placed on a ventilator and put in a coma for six days with Covid, I spent 16 days in the ICU. I lost 30 pounds of muscle mass during those 16 days. I spent a total of 40 days in the hospital. I'm learning how to walk all over as well as eat and swallow. The breathing tube gave me ulcers in my throat narrowing my throat passage. I have physical, occupational and throat therapy five days a week. Though not all in one day, physical therapy 3 days a week and OP and throat two days a week. PM me, I'll give you my real name and you can go on my FB page it's all well documented with my ups downs and my progress. Most of which my wife posted.

I just started getting back on line and looking around. Sat evening was my first time in a deer stand. My wife drove me to the stand helped me get in and then picked me up. When I get back for PT later this morning I'll answer your questions about my ranch!

Please where a mask. Covid is no joke!

i keep trying to spread the word Jeff but get chastised for being chicken little over in the OT

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: tlk] #8081530 12/08/20 09:50 PM
F
FamousAmos Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Looks a little phony to me.

“And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.”
‭‭Micah‬ ‭6:8‬
Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: tlk] #8081561 12/08/20 10:15 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
We have video of this deer - I would post it here but it does not have the option to post videos that I can find. The still picture is taken off the video.

It is not photo shopped or phony - geeze

These photo shopped or phony?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by tlk; 12/08/20 10:33 PM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: 200+ inch LF typical [Re: tlk] #8081622 12/08/20 10:59 PM
H
Hunt Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I hope you guys have been seriously looking for his shed the past couple of years.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide