Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Insurance Claims [Re: Hudbone] #7975355 09/15/20 10:13 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Hudbone
What is his company going to do? Charge him his deductible (I know he'll end up getting it back) and cause a whole lot of extra time and delay with their subrogation process? How would that help? Since the other company has already accepted liability, there really isn't much his own company can do for him. Tell me one thing they can do at this point and I will listen. The other company isn't going to change their adjusting procedures.

The agent can go above and beyond, but he doesn't really have a leg to stand on. He is not an involved party. The other insurance company does not have to deal with him.

The OP needs to draw a breath, see what the other company is going to offer and quit causing issues and problems before they manifest themselves. Figuring out what his now totaled vehicle is worth might be a good starting point. Believe me when I tell you the adjusters will have done a thorough search when determining the value of it. If he feels his vehicle was more valuable than what they offer, he will have to justify it. My Uncle cuzin Johnny would have given me more than that won't work.

Dealing openly, courteously and kindly will also help to get him a long way. Insurance adjusters DO NOT give better payouts to asslohes. Why would they?

Well, that’s your opinion. I have an insurance agent, when I’m involved in wrecks I deal with him vs the other company. You really think AAA wants to give him every penny he is owed? No, they want to get it cleared as fast as possible before he starts asking questions and they use scare tactics to do so. AAA has their own interest at heart, they don’t give a [censored] about JRFAN because he isn’t their client.

Re: Insurance Claims [Re: jrfan] #7975372 09/15/20 10:21 PM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I have to go with BigPig on this one. Had a guy run into the back of my truck a couple years ago. His insurance company was one I’d never heard of. I called my agent (USAA), and they handled it from there. His insurance called me a day or so later, and gave me what-for because I got my agent involved. I don’t need that kind of nonsense in my life. I have enough irons in the fire without trying to negotiate with some jack-leg insurance company.

Re: Insurance Claims [Re: jrfan] #7975440 09/15/20 10:58 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Yeah, just an opinion developed after being in the business three dozen plus years. AAA has accepted liability for the property damage and btw, they are not a jack leg company no one has never heard of. They have to pay this man the very same value for his car as if it was a car actually owned by one of their clients.

No one ever told me how he would benefit if he were to get his company involved. You guys do not really know what you are talking about here and I fully understand that.

Re: Insurance Claims [Re: jrfan] #7975448 09/15/20 11:00 PM
J
jcarring99 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Haha my experience with adjusters is that honey always catches more flies than vinegar! They don’t like extra work and going through a process that isn’t necessary. They will dig in and put the finger up in front of your face and go low. Never a good idea to piss an adjuster off. Just my experience and opinion. Oh and getting your personal agent involved from another company is definitely a pain in the [censored] move from the adjusters perspective. If it’s that bad then it’s better to lawyer up. They hate lawyers

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
Email: joel@carringtonconstructiondfw.com
Carrington Roofing & Construction, LLC
Financing options click: https://app.gethearth.com/flyers/carrington-roofing-construction-llc/joel
www.carringtonconstructiondfw.com
Re: Insurance Claims [Re: jrfan] #7975449 09/15/20 11:01 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Its new replacement value in homeowner policy.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Insurance Claims [Re: jcarring99] #7975682 09/16/20 01:20 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Yeah, just an opinion developed after being in the business three dozen plus years. AAA has accepted liability for the property damage and btw, they are not a jack leg company no one has never heard of. They have to pay this man the very same value for his car as if it was a car actually owned by one of their clients.

No one ever told me how he would benefit if he were to get his company involved. You guys do not really know what you are talking about here and I fully understand that.

Originally Posted by jcarring99
Haha my experience with adjusters is that honey always catches more flies than vinegar! They don’t like extra work and going through a process that isn’t necessary. They will dig in and put the finger up in front of your face and go low. Never a good idea to piss an adjuster off. Just my experience and opinion. Oh and getting your personal agent involved from another company is definitely a pain in the [censored] move from the adjusters perspective. If it’s that bad then it’s better to lawyer up. They hate lawyers

So by this reasoning, you would let your wife’s divorce attorney handle all the paperwork for you instead of bothering your attorney?

Re: Insurance Claims [Re: jrfan] #7975720 09/16/20 01:43 AM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Hudbone is correct here, your agent isn’t much help in this case. Getting your insurance company involved can and will create claims activity regardless of who is at fault. Yes they should subrogate but that doesn’t always happen, matter of fact your insurance can settle for less than owed if they want to. The amount of the claim typically dictates what happens and how hard recovery is pursued.

While you may not get surcharged for a non at fault there is a chance you can lose discounts associated with claims activity. Most companies have a no claims discount you would lose.

Re: Insurance Claims [Re: Leonardo] #7975748 09/16/20 02:07 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Leonardo
Hudbone is correct here, your agent isn’t much help in this case. Getting your insurance company involved can and will create claims activity regardless of who is at fault. Yes they should subrogate but that doesn’t always happen, matter of fact your insurance can settle for less than owed if they want to. The amount of the claim typically dictates what happens and how hard recovery is pursued.

While you may not get surcharged for a non at fault there is a chance you can lose discounts associated with claims activity. Most companies have a no claims discount you would lose.

My insurance company knew about a wreck I never reported but the other driver did. Her agency traced my license plate and figured out who I was insured through. So regardless if you notify your insurance or not, they can find out

Re: Insurance Claims [Re: jrfan] #7975852 09/16/20 09:19 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Yes, they can. It is possible. In the instance cited by the original OP and not the one you now bring up, the other carrier has already accepted liability. That's a huge point here. There is no issue (zero) as to which company is to pay. That pretty much negates any benefit you would have with your own insurance company because the other company has already accepted liability.

The pay out of the total loss is where he is at. AAA will likely look at books and also try to find three vehicles (same model, similar accessories package & mileage) on lots within say a 50 - 100 miles of his residence and assign a value. They do not pull it out of a hat. It I value that has to be able to be defended in court. People often feel their vehicle is worth more. They can seldom prove that. Typically it is worth more to them than someone else. People often think what they own is worth more than it is.

I have found being patient & civil with the claim's adjuster is key. Their desks get loaded up and with many claimants seemingly thinking they are the only stinking claim to be worked on and emotions can get high. That's pretty much cuz a bunch of youse guys always think you are going to get screwed and pounce on any point that you think might lead in that direction. That's just not what we typically find. For the vast preponderance of claimants, the system is extremely fair. The purpose of the system is to put someone back in place where they were prior to the incident. Oftentimes, we can actually see a claimant's position improved which, frankly, is not the point of the system.

This system does not work at warp speed. Already referring to an adjuster as Butthead brings bad karma. It is stinking thinking.

Btw, bringing an attorney into a property damage claim such as this one is, plain & simple, ignorant if not stupid. There's just not enough skin in the game and it will only cost a claimant $. Attorneys do have their place (I like them in closets), it's just not here.

Re: Insurance Claims [Re: BigPig] #7975964 09/16/20 12:58 PM
J
jcarring99 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Originally Posted by BigPig

So by this reasoning, you would let your wife’s divorce attorney handle all the paperwork for you instead of bothering your attorney?

That’s not even ballpark close. It’s a car. AAA is accepting fault. They will pay for it. Bringing others into it isn’t going to help. I’m not sure what the cost of the car is but I my experience AAA is very very fair on their payouts. Bringing a sales guy into it is not going to help. I agree about the lawyer in this case as well. It would be stupid to get a lawyer. I don’t know why I said that other than if you you thought you were really getting that screwed. To AAA this is small claim and they aren’t going to fuss over it too much. Of course it’s a big deal to you. It’s your property. To them it’s just another claim

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
Financing options click: https://app.gethearth.com/flyers/carrington-roofing-construction-llc/joel
Re: Insurance Claims [Re: jrfan] #7976163 09/16/20 03:15 PM
J
jrfan Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
J
Thanks to everyone for their input. For what its worth, the car was a 2016 Kia Sorrento with 64K miles. KBB/NADA puts the car at $13500-$14K, I owe $3500. The estimator that totaled the car appraised it at $12900, it had some prior damage to the tailgate where my wife backed into a trailer. With that being said, by the time they add TTL I won't be far off of where I would want to be, if not spot on. I do have some comps from local dealers for anywhere between $14900-$17500 all of those have less miles, so with that in mind, on average $14-$14.5K is fine with me. I am not trying to buck the system, I just want this done and I have had zero communication other than from the guy that totaled it. When my daughter was rear ended and her car totaled about 6 months ago, it was a state farm-state farm wreck and I had her in a new car in less than a week. I haven't even talked to anyone about a settlement and we are a week in.

My main concern form the original post was releasing the car. But based on what I understand now, I am only releasing it from the body shop, not my possession. As long as I haven't signed a POA, they cannot do anything with the car.

[Linked Image]
Re: Insurance Claims [Re: jrfan] #7976184 09/16/20 03:30 PM
J
jcarring99 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Yeah and I would want the rental as long as possible. You need time to make a good decision on the next car. I hate being rushed to buy a car. Hopefully you’ve reached out to some sales guys at dealers. Do you know Monte Coon at moritz Chevrolet? I can get you his number. They have a Kia dealership as well. He will hook up any tff or thf guy.

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
Re: Insurance Claims [Re: jcarring99] #7976222 09/16/20 03:53 PM
J
jrfan Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
J
Yeah and I would want the rental as long as possible. You need time to make a good decision on the next car. I hate being rushed to buy a car. Hopefully you’ve reached out to some sales guys at dealers. Do you know Monte Coon at moritz Chevrolet? I can get you his number. They have a Kia dealership as well. He will hook up any tff or thf guy.

I got the rental extended yesterday until the 20th. But I know nothing about the settlement to this point, I can only guess as to the cash I will have available for a down payment. We have been driving cars all week.

[Linked Image]
Re: Insurance Claims [Re: jrfan] #7976427 09/16/20 05:34 PM
J
jcarring99 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Just curious what your looking at. Got my wife a Chevy Traverse 2 months ago and she told me today how much she loves that thing. Modern, looks good, has lane assist and warnings when you come up on people too fast etc. She likes it all the way around and not too terribly expensive considering the cost of cars now days!

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
Re: Insurance Claims [Re: jcarring99] #7976460 09/16/20 05:58 PM
J
jrfan Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
J
Just curious what your looking at. Got my wife a Chevy Traverse 2 months ago and she told me today how much she loves that thing. Modern, looks good, has lane assist and warnings when you come up on people too fast etc. She likes it all the way around and not too terribly expensive considering the cost of cars now days!

We've looked at several of the Kia's again as well as the Equinox and the GMC Terrain. Salesman of the year put her in a used Cadillac last night. Shes in love but I think its somewhat unrealistic. We can afford it, but I can get a newer/cheaper car with a lot more warranty and a lot of the same amenities.

[Linked Image]
Re: Insurance Claims [Re: jrfan] #7976474 09/16/20 06:04 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by jrfan

We've looked at several of the Kia's again as well as the Equinox and the GMC Terrain. Salesman of the year put her in a used Cadillac last night. Shes in love but I think its somewhat unrealistic. We can afford it, but I can get a newer/cheaper car with a lot more warranty and a lot of the same amenities.

While I'm not a fan of Kia, you can't beat that 100K mile warranty. My parents went to get a Terrain about 3 months ago - they ended up with an Acadia and have been pleased. There were a lot of incentives and rebates at the time and it made more financial sense to go with the bigger vehicle with the same features/trim price wise. Not sure if there are still as many rebates out - but something to consider.

Re: Insurance Claims [Re: Cochise] #7976529 09/16/20 06:22 PM
J
jrfan Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Cochise

While I'm not a fan of Kia, you can't beat that 100K mile warranty. My parents went to get a Terrain about 3 months ago - they ended up with an Acadia and have been pleased. There were a lot of incentives and rebates at the time and it made more financial sense to go with the bigger vehicle with the same features/trim price wise. Not sure if there are still as many rebates out - but something to consider.

Between my wife and daughter, we've had 4 Kia's. Other than batteries, oil and tires, I have had to spend $0 on repairs and really haven't had any to speak of. I think the first one was a 2012. It wasn't even on my radar to sell this one. I am sure we will end up with another one, assuming I can get her out of this Cadillac,

[Linked Image]
Re: Insurance Claims [Re: jrfan] #7988356 09/25/20 10:23 PM
J
jrfan Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
J
The rest of the story......

I got a low ball settlement offer from them late last week. I've been going back and forth with them (AAA) all week. Really haven't gotten much information. I didn't have much issue with the value they put on the car. Of course it could have been higher, it can always be higher. I thought it was reasonable. The main problem that I had, was that when they priced out the damage from the wreck, they priced all aftermarket/junk yard parts. Whatever...it still totaled anyway, wouldn't of made any difference how they did it. The problem that I had was that when they priced the prior damage (my wife backed into a trailer and put the tongue into the tailgate), they priced ALL NEW FACFTORY parts. I told them that was BS And that what was good for the goose....Just a quick google search on my part saved over $600 in parts alone. Plus, I was attempting to get some money back on some tires I put on last year. All in, I was trying to get another $1200. They came back this morning with a $260 increase.

I spoke with a Public Insurance Adjuster yesterday. Didn't know these things existed. He told me that he could get an additional $2400+ for the settlement, for a fee of course. Only issue with this was I had to file a claim through my insurance, he would negotiate with them and then State Farm would recoup the money from AAA. I figured I would file the claim, if SF offered me a reasonable settlement I would take it and be done. If I thought theirs was low, I would just let this adjuster handle it. So, I called my agent this morning to file the claim. They put me through to the claims department. After speaking to him, he says that I MAY have to pay storage on the vehicle since they're getting involved 2 weeks after the fact. I MAY also have to pay for wrecker fees to and from. This did nothing but piss me off even more.

I spoke with Hudbone this morning as well. I really appreciate the help, BTW. He suggested that I send another email to the adjuster with some carefully worded verbiage, which I did. I actually did this prior to filing a claim with my insurance. I didn't get a response, so I assumed that they weren't interested in anything else I had to say. However, I did get a response and they offered another $500, $760 total since the initial offer. I took it. I was just tired of the beat down, which I am sure is part of their plan. I am less than $500 of where I thought I needed to be to begin with. It wasn't worth it for me to fight it any further.

[Linked Image]
Re: Insurance Claims [Re: jrfan] #7988362 09/25/20 10:28 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
You put up a good fight. Consider it a win and move on.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Insurance Claims [Re: jrfan] #7988389 09/25/20 11:01 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The rest of the story......

I got a low ball settlement offer from them late last week. I've been going back and forth with them (AAA) all week. Really haven't gotten much information. I didn't have much issue with the value they put on the car. Of course it could have been higher, it can always be higher. I thought it was reasonable. The main problem that I had, was that when they priced out the damage from the wreck, they priced all aftermarket/junk yard parts. Whatever...it still totaled anyway, wouldn't of made any difference how they did it. The problem that I had was that when they priced the prior damage (my wife backed into a trailer and put the tongue into the tailgate), they priced ALL NEW FACFTORY parts. I told them that was BS And that what was good for the goose....Just a quick google search on my part saved over $600 in parts alone. Plus, I was attempting to get some money back on some tires I put on last year. All in, I was trying to get another $1200. They came back this morning with a $260 increase.

I spoke with a Public Insurance Adjuster yesterday. Didn't know these things existed. He told me that he could get an additional $2400+ for the settlement, for a fee of course. Only issue with this was I had to file a claim through my insurance, he would negotiate with them and then State Farm would recoup the money from AAA. I figured I would file the claim, if SF offered me a reasonable settlement I would take it and be done. If I thought theirs was low, I would just let this adjuster handle it. So, I called my agent this morning to file the claim. They put me through to the claims department. After speaking to him, he says that I MAY have to pay storage on the vehicle since they're getting involved 2 weeks after the fact. I MAY also have to pay for wrecker fees to and from. This did nothing but piss me off even more.

I spoke with Hudbone this morning as well. I really appreciate the help, BTW. He suggested that I send another email to the adjuster with some carefully worded verbiage, which I did. I actually did this prior to filing a claim with my insurance. I didn't get a response, so I assumed that they weren't interested in anything else I had to say. However, I did get a response and they offered another $500, $760 total since the initial offer. I took it. I was just tired of the beat down, which I am sure is part of their plan. I am less than $500 of where I thought I needed to be to begin with. It wasn't worth it for me to fight it any further.

Love Paul Harvey story's. would dove toe read ore of them.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide