Forums46
Topics538,020
Posts9,731,888
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: DocHorton] #7945656 08/22/20 03:25 AM
H
HawgHater Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Originally Posted by Ringer1
Offer hog hunts after deer season.

This. Can probably charge $50-100 per day for hog hunts.

Also, I let my bro-in-law hunt one of my places, but only hog hunting and only outside of deer season....the deal is every time he goes he has to buy 3-5 bags of corn and put in the feeders. It isn't much, but it helps. You could do something similar....it's feels better to make someone buy 5-10 bags of corn than it is to charge them $50, especially if it's a friend or family member. Also helps them feel like they have a hand in managing the place.

Thanks. That is what i am doing now. I wish i could them to bring Antler Max!! I appreciate the response.

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7946685 08/23/20 03:08 AM
J
jrfan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted by HawgHater
Originally Posted by Erathkid
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
Tell your friends you love’em and they’re welcome to come hunt, for a fee. Only seems fair.

There’s a difference between making money and covering costs.

Charlie

Yep. They hunt, they pitch in. 250 acres is really not enough land for a commercial operation. If you leased it at all it would bring 5-6 grand but then you've got people on your place. We're in about the same boat. Our wildlife valuation has kept our taxes reasonable. Do you have Ag valuation, or you getting hit full boat? Sounds like a really good place you've got. I'd just keep it friends and family only. And don't shoot all your momma deer, regardless of what some might say. You can shoot out a place pretty quickly. I know because our place was shot out when we bought it in '99. Good luck on your place.

I am Ag Exempt but the two houses kill me. One is a dump that needs a complete redo and the other is pretty nice. The tax appraisal district considers each house to be on 1 acre. Those two houses are about 80% of the my tax bill. The raw land is next to nothing.

Welcome to Young County. They charge me tax on a covered porch on our trailer house. Your place sounds a lot like ours, we could be neighbors. We’re just west in f Newcastle.

[Linked Image]
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7947827 08/24/20 04:22 AM
C
ccrock Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Focus on duck hunting being that close to Ft Worth. The second focus would be spring turkey.
Another option is ask the friends and family that do come hunt to bring protein and corn to help offset those expenses. The rundown house invite the volunteer fire department to use it for training. Ask the chief what the value is to his team and use it as a donation and tax write off.

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7951194 08/26/20 10:51 PM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"
No offense intended and welcome to the forum, but 250 acres is not a Ranch.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: Superduty] #7951203 08/26/20 10:55 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Superduty

We've been over this before. And, although I agree, I also believe a man can call what he's paid cash money for anything thing he wants. Pretty sure the nice folks that bought my old place call that 134 acres a "ranch".

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: Creekrunner] #7951213 08/26/20 11:00 PM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

We've been over this before. And, although I agree, I also believe a man can call what he's paid cash money for anything thing he wants. Pretty sure the nice folks that bought my old place call that 134 acres a "ranch".

Agreed.

An old cowboy corrected me on this about 35 years ago exact conversation, 250 acres is not a ranch.

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: stxranchman] #7951868 08/27/20 02:40 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by Erathkid
Shooting 10 deer per season on 250 acres should be illegal, of course it isn't. Great way to destroy a deer herd.

Not if it is a LF place in Llano County or other high pop hill country counties. You might cover the new fawn crop at 10 per year if you are lucky. If it is a HF place then it may be enough to cover the fawn crop or not.

We shoot 10+ deer mostly does off of 300 acres every year and would love to kill more, but they get pretty gun shy after we wack that many. Duval Co south texas brush land, not even in the hillcountry etc.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: Superduty] #7951870 08/27/20 02:42 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Agreed.

An old cowboy corrected me on this about 35 years ago exact conversation, 250 acres is not a ranch.

My kids call our place The Moo Cow Property. Now so do I, they are cute as hell and like the land they are mine. Ill call what is mine what i want.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7951877 08/27/20 02:47 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Have a buddy that sells a few hunts. He basically advertises by word of mouth that he has a couple bucks to sell of x size for Y-dollars. Pretty much the hunters go kill the deer and pay, no kill no pay.

They charge something like 1000-1200 a deer. Honestly for the quality of deer they have i think they could charge more. Dont think it would cover your expenses but would sure help. They also only try to do hunts 2-3 weekends a year so it doesnt become a job.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7952229 08/27/20 07:37 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C

if the feed bill is killing you, then reduce your feeding

deer don't need protein and you can't hunt 3 blinds at same time

If you have to find supplemental revenue so that you can hunt on your
own property then you can't afford it

On generating revenue - run hog hunts, charge $125 a day & provide a
place to stay. You can run hog hunts almost year round. If you can
get $250 a week, that's $1000/month; $10,000/year average

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7952249 08/27/20 08:05 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
How do you run the weekly hog hunts? Turn em loose with the combo and address? If you want to be there (i would) its like a job.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7952296 08/27/20 09:00 PM
H
HLo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
In lieu of protein pellets switch to cotton seed feeders. Will save a lot from not having to feed other animals, and in general we have saved a ton. Fix up the other house and VRBO to non hunters. Lots of people in the City are looking to get away especially right now. They will just need some things to do while there, walking trails, fire pit, corn hole, hammocks, pond to fish in, etc. If you want to run hunts, that is a different operation. I have people from the City out to our place on some weekends and many barely leave the porch and 1 acre around the house. They just like the fresh air and getting away.

Last thought, provide a few RV hookups for campers. So many people camping these days all the state parks are booked so they are looking for a place to go to just get out. Inks Lake For Example is popular but if you don't book several months in advance you likely will not get a spot.

Last edited by HLo; 08/27/20 09:08 PM.

HLo
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7952393 08/27/20 10:39 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
It doesn't matter how you do it. There will be problems. Learn from them. What I do now works the best for me. I make enough to pay my feed bills. I am retired so the labor means squat. I have some very good folks that come every year and I have no problems with them. I trust them with the place while they are here. Think about what you want and try it. That is the only way you will get to what you want.

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: CharlieCTx] #7952403 08/27/20 10:48 PM
A
AMF Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
Tell your friends you love’em and they’re welcome to come hunt, for a fee. Only seems fair.

There’s a difference between making money and covering costs.

Charlie

THIS.

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: Superduty] #7952405 08/27/20 10:49 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H

I have heard idjits speak before, but seldom see them put it in writing.

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: Superduty] #7952420 08/27/20 11:06 PM
A
AMF Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A

Where is that written?

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: AMF] #7952615 08/28/20 01:47 AM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Duke107

Where is that written?

Yeah, who made that rule, and for that matter, what is the rule? My place is not big, but we have cattle, tanks, and hay. What should i call it? Property...ranch property...acreage...? Never mind, i own it and will call it what i like.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7952646 08/28/20 02:11 AM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"
Guess it was an old Cowboy way.

Agreed, again..call it what you want.

I live in DFW in a ranchette house.

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7952802 08/28/20 10:56 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
A friend of mine bought a 160 acre place. The former owner used to lease hundreds of thousands of acres to raise cattle. He fattened them up and then worked them at his home place. New owner has a similar use. Four separate pastures and a set up that is "out of this world" - working pens that open up to the hydraulic squeeze shoot, barns, vet station, office and more. Telling the ex-PRCA cowboy that his place is not a ranch would be akin to labeling Melania a dog.

[Linked Image]

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: Superduty] #7952855 08/28/20 12:28 PM
H
HawgHater Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H

No offense taken but I own my ranch outright. I wrote a check for it. I call it whatever I want to call it.

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7952893 08/28/20 01:15 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
It doesn't matter what you call it because it's your land!
Back on topic though, be careful on how many deer you take off your land because depending on what the neighbors are doing on theirs you can overhunt the deer even on hill country land.
In my 60 years of hunting in both the hill country where I started and south Texas, I've seen places that were shot out, and it doesn't take long for a less than a handful of hunters to do the deed.
I've hunted on places that we brought back in a few years only to see it happen all over again with some trigger happy neighbors.
Those deer you are hunting on your 200+ acre "ranch" are the same deer your neighbor is hunting as well, and I'm guessing you don't have much say on what the neighbor does!.....Deer can travel a long ways during their daily routine.
A deer can jump into that 250 acres on a dead run and run all the way across it into the next ranch and barely be out of breath!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7953076 08/28/20 03:43 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
As a land owner I sometimes used the terms interchangeably

But there are differences:

a ranch is more about animal care - herding cattle , sheep, maintaining optimal grazing and water for the animals

a farm is more about planting , sedentary livestock (pig pens, goat pens .... )

READ HERE: https://www.land.com/buying/difference-between-farm-and-ranch/

I have heard of old timers saying 1 section, 640 acres, square mile is a ranch
But that's just opinions

to me, a ranch is anything outside of city limits or where you can get Ag Exempt status
Good enough for most

Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: Jimbo] #7953220 08/28/20 06:13 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Those deer you are hunting on your 200+ acre "ranch" are the same deer your neighbor is hunting as well, and I'm guessing you don't have much say on what the neighbor does!

Agreed, and one of the reasons I don't complain about being in an AR county - especially as a small property owner. At least the AR restrictions allow some form of herd management. I am fortunate though, most of my neighbors have become friends and we have similar attitudes about harvesting and pressure. If anything, we should all be taking more does out of the population that we have for the past several years.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Ranch owner looking for suggestions [Re: HawgHater] #7956777 08/31/20 07:02 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I own 133 acres South of Bowie. Bought it about 35 to 40 years ago for $325 per acre. Worth over 10 times that now. I don't live there but have a white trash trailer house, shipping container, 4 wheelers, 2 tractors and tractor shades and a well. It is what most would call junk land, All trees, rocks. Very few flat spots and 3 ponds/tanks with fish. We just call it Bowie. Properly termed, it would be called recreational property. But its mine. Taught a lot of kids to hunt and fish there.

Bottom line is that unless you want to farm or raise cattle, try to find non productive property.

High Taxes? Yep, unless you can get an AG exemption or a wildlife exemption. Wildlife exemption has to come from a grazing exemption so, at first, lease out the grass with a written contract that you can show the County Tax people. Give that several years, change to Wildlife and get rid of the cows. Best bet is a neighbor with cows. Make DAMN sure you have a written contract to show the County Tax people. Don't try to cheat. They sometimes jump fences and look for manure on the ground. Without an exemption, taxes can kill you.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 08/31/20 07:13 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide