F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by scalebuster
Originally Posted by NOCOOLNAMETOO
Hunt by committee . whats your thoughts ?

I feel a little micro managed. I don't like deer being categorized into cull, no shoot or trophies based off pictures . I think this go either way just like people post on here one buck gets aged from 3/12 to 5 1/2. We have rules in place I'm good with that but having 3 folders of deer to determine what can and cannot be shot just seem overkill . To me judge on the hoof is the way to go. Our lease is getting better quality deer each year and I knew what I signed up for guess I just needed to vent a little .

That lease wouldn’t work for me. I don’t take deer hunting seriously. I know some that do. Find a lease that has people with views similar to yours. I go deer hunting because I like to drink beer and have a good time with old friends. All of our boys enjoy shooting deer and getting to hang out together too. I don’t enjoy anyone telling me what or how to do anything, unless I’m making money off them, and that has a limit. If it’s not fun for you why spend the time and money.
That’s not the only deer lease in Texas.

Scale has some good advise. He is admitting he "doesnt take deer hunting seriously" and that he likes to "drink beer and have a good time" and his "boys enjoy shooting deer etc". What several of us have been saying is that the key is to find a lease where everybody on it is of that same mindset. MOST leases are like that if you can find them. It seems that Scale either finds a lease like that or he doesnt hunt. Thats the way to do it.
I think that the OP's issue is that even though hes not super serious he would still like to kill a good deer and knows that a few rules can be important. His problem seems to be that some rules are over the top FOR HIM and they arent uniformly enforced. Its not easy at all to solve that dilemma and it usually involves having a good leader and a group of guys that are likeminded. Its hard to make all that work and its why really quality leases are so rare.
"To each his own" is good advise and I say it on here all the time. If everybody thought like that it would KEEP US FROM BICKERING but it really doesnt solve the bigger issue of everybody finding the right lease that they are comfortable with.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: freerange] #7941274 08/18/20 11:31 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by scalebuster
Originally Posted by NOCOOLNAMETOO
Hunt by committee . whats your thoughts ?

I feel a little micro managed. I don't like deer being categorized into cull, no shoot or trophies based off pictures . I think this go either way just like people post on here one buck gets aged from 3/12 to 5 1/2. We have rules in place I'm good with that but having 3 folders of deer to determine what can and cannot be shot just seem overkill . To me judge on the hoof is the way to go. Our lease is getting better quality deer each year and I knew what I signed up for guess I just needed to vent a little .

That lease wouldn’t work for me. I don’t take deer hunting seriously. I know some that do. Find a lease that has people with views similar to yours. I go deer hunting because I like to drink beer and have a good time with old friends. All of our boys enjoy shooting deer and getting to hang out together too. I don’t enjoy anyone telling me what or how to do anything, unless I’m making money off them, and that has a limit. If it’s not fun for you why spend the time and money.
That’s not the only deer lease in Texas.

Scale has some good advise. He is admitting he "doesnt take deer hunting seriously" and that he likes to "drink beer and have a good time" and his "boys enjoy shooting deer etc". What several of us have been saying is that the key is to find a lease where everybody on it is of that same mindset. MOST leases are like that if you can find them. It seems that Scale either finds a lease like that or he doesnt hunt. Thats the way to do it.
I think that the OP's issue is that even though hes not super serious he would still like to kill a good deer and knows that a few rules can be important. His problem seems to be that some rules are over the top FOR HIM and they arent uniformly enforced. Its not easy at all to solve that dilemma and it usually involves having a good leader and a group of guys that are likeminded. Its hard to make all that work and its why really quality leases are so rare.
"To each his own" is good advise and I say it on here all the time. If everybody thought like that it would KEEP US FROM BICKERING but it really doesnt solve the bigger issue of everybody finding the right lease that they are comfortable with.

YEP is all I have to say

You can't fix stupid
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7941278 08/18/20 11:32 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
I never said my way was the best way or the only way. The OP asked "What's your thoughts?" I gave my thoughts.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: Jimbo1] #7941306 08/18/20 11:51 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Jimbo1
I never said my way was the best way or the only way. The OP asked "What's your thoughts?" I gave my thoughts.

"Only way to get on a lease with strict rules on what you can and cannot shoot, is if you just want to hunt with a camera! Then sell your information to the highest bidder! "

ABOVE IS YOUR QUOTE - you DID SAY "Only Way" - maybe go back and read your post - just sayin

Again at the end of the day the point is do it however you want to do it but do not be critical of those who choose to do it differently from you

You can't fix stupid
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: tlk] #7941344 08/19/20 12:08 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by tlk

"Only way to get on a lease with strict rules on what you can and cannot shoot, is if you just want to hunt with a camera! Then sell your information to the highest bidder! "

ABOVE IS YOUR QUOTE - you DID SAY "Only Way" - maybe go back and read your post - just sayin

Again at the end of the day the point is do it however you want to do it but do not be critical of those who choose to do it differently from you

Uh...tlk that was Jimbo not Jimbo1 that you quoted...2 different people.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: stxranchman] #7941356 08/19/20 12:20 AM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by tlk

I demand a retraction! Ha!

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7941368 08/19/20 12:26 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Come on Oct 3rd!!!!

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: Jimbo1] #7941391 08/19/20 12:37 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by tlk

I demand a retraction! Ha!

I request a retraction!!! Who in the heck allows a Jimbo and a Jimbo 1? I think it is the mods fault!

In all seriousness I never have a problem admitting that I was wrong - but it was an honest mistake - my apologies

Last edited by tlk; 08/19/20 12:40 AM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7941405 08/19/20 12:42 AM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Apology accepted. One of the few times we both posted in the same thread. I panicked when I originally made my screen name as I have no imagination.

Last edited by Jimbo1; 08/19/20 12:42 AM.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7941406 08/19/20 12:42 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Come on Oct 3rd!!!!

for sure - need to get to the deer lease where there is no internet service and I cannot access this forum!

You can't fix stupid
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: tlk] #7941420 08/19/20 12:49 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Jimbo and Jimbo1 definitely too close-MODs fault. Ditto on deer season get here. I have cut back on this forum a bunch since i started a strong push to get the lease ready but I found myself on it a bunch today--literally giving me a "pain in the neck."

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7941424 08/19/20 12:51 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Come on Oct 3rd!!!!

I'm new to MLD this year. Is that the date I can start blasting anything that moves? laugh

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: Jimbo1] #7941455 08/19/20 01:03 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Apology accepted. One of the few times we both posted in the same thread. I panicked when I originally made my screen name as I have no imagination.

you are a gentleman and a scholar! Thank you for accepting my apology - (still the mods fault! lol)

You can't fix stupid
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7941490 08/19/20 01:23 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
To each group, their own rules. Just state them, and apply them evenly and fairly. Myself, I wouldn't want to be on a lease where I had to show a photo of a buck to a committee for approval, and hope I see it again so I could kill it. Shame on me for joining a lease that had rules that I didn't agree with. I ran a lease for a few seasons and had a few very simple rules. I put a guy on that I thought I knew well, and as soon as he got on he argued with me about the guest policy and the rule on the number of stands each member could have. He also immediately started communicating with the land owner and generally trying to take over. I waited one weekend until it was just the two of us there and kicked him off, telling him that he was done at the end of the season. One of the most satisfying conversations I have ever had.

I'm on a great lease now, all like minded, generous, partners to each other and will help one another with anything. We kill a lot of great game, catch fish, cook good meals, have a few beers.......I'm fortunate.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7941506 08/19/20 01:36 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
To each group, their own rules. Just state them, and apply them evenly and fairly. Myself, I wouldn't want to be on a lease where I had to show a photo of a buck to a committee for approval, and hope I see it again so I could kill it. Shame on me for joining a lease that had rules that I didn't agree with. I ran a lease for a few seasons and had a few very simple rules. I put a guy on that I thought I knew well, and as soon as he got on he argued with me about the guest policy and the rule on the number of stands each member could have. He also immediately started communicating with the land owner and generally trying to take over. I waited one weekend until it was just the two of us there and kicked him off, telling him that he was done at the end of the season. One of the most satisfying conversations I have ever had.

I'm on a great lease now, all like minded, generous, partners to each other and will help one another with anything. We kill a lot of great game, catch fish, cook good meals, have a few beers.......I'm fortunate.

sounds like you found what fits your desires and personality - that is what the entire message was in this thread - find what fits you and go with it -

You can't fix stupid
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: tlk] #7941528 08/19/20 01:49 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

sounds like you found what fits your desires and personality - that is what the entire message was in this thread - find what fits you and go with it -

Yup, the lease is fun. I enjoy my friends and the hunting and partying we do. I like to party.

I do go on a hunt alone every year in another part of the state. That's when I work hard and focus on killing a trophy. It's totally wide open, free range, wild, no stand, no feeder type hunt. Camo up, lay prone in the bushes on a high spot after some extensive scouting and watch, all day. You never know what may step out.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7941568 08/19/20 02:41 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Hopefully everyone can keep their printed catalogues of deer they're allowed to shoot more squared away than they keep their Jimbo's rofl

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7941741 08/19/20 11:41 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
When I was young my brother and I were guests on a lease that had pages of rules, printed and posted up in each blind. Anyone else ever witnessed this? Our company lawyer was a member on the place, so, there you go. laugh

I have to admit, the cabin's saltillo tile floors with heated copper piping underneath was cozy. grin

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: Jimbo1] #7941785 08/19/20 12:09 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Sharing your opinion and then moving on can be a great time saver.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: Texas Dan] #7942034 08/19/20 03:06 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Sharing your opinion and then moving on can be a great time saver.

That was very helpful. Time to move on.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7942055 08/19/20 03:16 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
It is all too subjective, most people aren't near as good at management as they think they are. Don't shoot the babies and kill what you like and is legal. Every lease is different and as long as you know the rules prior to paying the money. Science gives +/- 1 year on a jawbone, could be 3 or 5.

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7942776 08/19/20 11:01 PM
B
brokenpole Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Shoot what the hell you want, this is what deer hunting has become, what a joke

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: Texas Dan] #7949998 08/25/20 11:54 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Big difference, at least to me, between taking an animal that became exceptional in the wild on its own and one that was fed and managed as if it were registered livestock.

I agree the buck bred for a purpose then pen fed and raised in the same pen is no way the same as a great buck that grew up in the woods. To me pen fed bucks just don't look as good. Different strokes for different folks.

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: brokenpole] #7950123 08/26/20 02:09 AM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by brokenpole
Shoot what the hell you want, this is what deer hunting has become, what a joke

Deer hunting? This is what everything has become.

Proverbs 2
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7952758 08/28/20 05:06 AM
donswin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
My lease manager told me it was my turn to top off the feeders. I said "no way, I did it last time". Then he threatened to cut my quota. I reminded him that had already been done. Cleaning deer at my age isn't the fun it used to be. It can be painful. If he doesn't watch out, I'm going to lock him out of the lease - just like I did the last time I drove 3 hours and forgot the keys. We agreed that neither of us missed the lease drama when there was more than just one of us on the lease. I would start another fight, but it is so dang hard to tell who won.

The only time I regret having a lease to myself is when there are chores to be done. I can handle arguing with myself, but those bags of corn keep getting heavier.

I think it is past my bedtime.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide