Forums46
Topics538,021
Posts9,731,919
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Stub] #7930678 08/10/20 10:40 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Ride in the backs of our uncle’s truck to watch the Rangers lose multiple times

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: dkershen] #7930689 08/10/20 10:45 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by dkershen
Originally Posted by Bullfrog
Used to roll down the hill in a big old tractor tire, hoping we wouldn’t die

This helps explain a lot.

Ya might be right Dave hammer

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Stub] #7930690 08/10/20 10:46 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Brother and I told mom we were going to grandmas to go fishing, she thought it was to grandma that lived 3 miles across town, but we grabbed our bikes and fishing gear and 5 hours later was 75 miles away at my other grandma's house.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Superduty] #7930796 08/10/20 11:53 PM
C
Chopped54 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by Superduty
Tie a piece of bacon to a string and catch crawfish in the creek.

Same!!!
The creek behind my grandmas was pretty over grown, enough we built a pretty kick [censored] clubhouse. We would catch the crawdads in the creek, cook them in an old hubcap and eat em in that clubhouse.

Wealth is of the heart and mind and not of the pocket
Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Chopped54] #7930801 08/10/20 11:55 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Chopped54
Tie a piece of bacon to a string and catch crawfish in the creek.

Same!!!
The creek behind my grandmas was pretty over grown, enough we built a pretty kick [censored] clubhouse. We would catch the crawdads in the creek, cook them in an old hubcap and eat em in that clubhouse.

Marked safe from Coronavirus.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: dogcatcher] #7930803 08/10/20 11:56 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Brother and I told mom we were going to grandmas to go fishing, she thought it was to grandma that lived 3 miles across town, but we grabbed our bikes and fishing gear and 5 hours later was 75 miles away at my other grandma's house.

Wow. Just wow.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Paluxy] #7930910 08/11/20 01:07 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Hancock
Originally Posted by Stub
you did as a kid?

Never hear kids nowadays talk about doing the stuff we use to like...

As a real young kid we would put Pennies on the railroad track and watch them flatten them out. Usually would only do one because a penny was good money back then laugh

So what kind of stuff did you do?

I was detained by the railroad police for doing that and got a ride home.

We found a case of blasting caps on the hwy once and had a blast at the cliche pit until the police showed up, got a ride home.

Living in Amarillo we had plenty of wind, we built a large kite and had a manned kite flight. It sucked to be John that day, the small kid on the block, but he was famous for a while.

roflmao

You have a way with stories.

Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Stub] #7930932 08/11/20 01:24 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I shoved toads in the cabs of my Tonka trucks and forced them to work against their will.

Caught bluegills at the creek, made them eat Alka Seltzer in hopes they’d blow up, and watched them swim down and float up in the creek. They never exploded, but they did have a hard time staying down, and you could track them when they did.

Had a lot of fun with eggs that our chickens laid. I threw a few at the transformer on the nearest power pole. One finally connected just right. That was exciting enough to put an end to that. Usually, I just stashed a few somewhere safe in the heat of the summer until they were ready. Then I’d bust them in a strategic spot and take off, leaving the bewildered guests in that vicinity wondering what could possibly smell so horrible.

Someone taught me how to make a bomb using toilet bowl cleaner. A couple guys at work didn’t believe me when I told them what could be done with that stuff in the cabinet. I showed them. About that time, a customer was entering the store with her dog. I didn’t intend to, but I showed him, as well. I don’t know if that lady ever found her dog, but I got the weekend off, so it wasn’t all bad.

Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Stub] #7930934 08/11/20 01:28 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Caught schools of Bullheads, put firecrackers in their mouths and blew them up. Riding 3 wheelers and motorcycles around the neighborhood. Bottle rocket wars.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Stub] #7930938 08/11/20 01:32 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
roflmao

If we weren't paying the older kids to buy us a fifth of Wild Turkey with a sixer of Schlitz for chasers, we would knock each other out. Not with blunt force trauma, mind you, but with hyperventilation and pressure to the chest. Out like a light... and man, the dreams we would have... nidea grin

eeks333

[Linked Image]
Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Stub] #7930958 08/11/20 01:42 AM
texasag93 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Bottle Rocket wars in the neighborhood!

I also forgot about the bacon to catch crawdads in the drainage ditches.

Target shooting in the garbage pits at the grandparent's farm. Extra points for finding glass bottles.

City boys getting picked up to grab hay bales.

Getting stuck in grandpa's truck and getting out with a bumper jack.

River fishing with drop, throw, and taught lines. Grandpa said you were not fishing unless you had 500 hooks out.

Catfish heads hanging on the fence line.

Grandma and the aunts making grape juice and canning jelly.

Dewberry picking and using clear nail polish on the chigger bites.

Being told not to be seen until you hear the truck horn honking for supper (and being mad that it was too early).

Christmas with 20+ cousins. Grandma and grandpa only having wrapping paper to wrap the front side of the presents and you not being allowed to look on the backside to see what the presents were. (we all got the same thing, over and over we still loved opening them).

Watching the Dallas Cowboys with 20+ cousins and all the uncles.

Watching the tu/Aggie game on Thanksgiving Day.

There are many more.....

Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: kry226] #7930996 08/11/20 02:09 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by kry226
roflmao

If we weren't paying the older kids to buy us a fifth of Wild Turkey with a sixer of Schlitz for chasers, we would knock each other out. Not with blunt force trauma, mind you, but with hyperventilation and pressure to the chest. Out like a light... and man, the dreams we would have... nidea grin

eeks333

Yes! The dreams are wild! I remember waking up quite pissed off that someone cut off my dream.

Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Stub] #7931047 08/11/20 02:49 AM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Snowmobiling on golf courses.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Sneaky] #7931057 08/11/20 02:56 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by Sneaky
Originally Posted by kry226
roflmao

eeks333

Yes! The dreams are wild! I remember waking up quite pissed off that someone cut off my dream.

roflmao

[Linked Image]
Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Stub] #7931065 08/11/20 03:04 AM
Gringocazador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I did pretty much the same as most above including the raft, the one we built suck like a rock too.

Thanks, Billy
Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Stub] #7931099 08/11/20 03:51 AM
S
sweetwood Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
We'd mow lawns and spend all of our money on cheap Chinese throwing stars, candy and fireworks once the 4th of July came around. Repackaged a few fireworks here and there in attempts to blow up the little green army men. Whatever was left we would usually finish off with some sort of improvised flame thrower. We would rotate sleepovers so that someone usually wasn't home for 3 or 4 days. We'd spend those days running around with pellet guns and fishing most of the day. If it was a Monday we'd sneak onto the golf course and play a few holes since that's the day they would mow. I couldn't imagine a boy getting caught doing any of that stuff these days without having hell to pay.

Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Stub] #7931109 08/11/20 04:04 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I mostly climbed trees.....

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Stub] #7931179 08/11/20 11:17 AM
L
Lazyjack Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Much of the above. Grew up rural. Crawdad fishing in the creek behind the house. Spent many days in the woods, pellet rifle or shotgun/22 with a Daisy BB pistol in an old leather G.I. holster. Setup target ranges using matches and old playing cards .Improvised fireworks from Blackcat firecrackers.

Dad rebuilt a wooden cabin cruiser, kept slipped at Lake Whitney. We would spend weekends on the boat. Slept on a wooden bench bench seat under the stars. Caught many Sandbass off the front deck. Met my first summer love.

Spent weekends at my grandparents house. Had Chinaberry fights with kids there. Built a tree house. Strung a bike inner tube between limbs to make giant slingshots. The treehouse became an armed fortress. My Oak Cliff best friend and I could fire Chinaberries a hundred feet. Hard to believe we didn't shoot anyone's eye out.

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Stub] #7931187 08/11/20 11:30 AM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Bet on horny toad races!

Catch one and race them against your friends after you built a track with parallel 1X4s lined up to keep them going straight.

Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Stub] #7931208 08/11/20 11:50 AM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Smoke grapevine till our tongues swole up
Shoot stripped lizards with bb guns
put black cat firecrackers in toads mouths and light
Yep we were some mean little sum beaches

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Stub] #7931242 08/11/20 12:24 PM
S
Stevarino Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Around 4th-6th grade, my buddies and I became kings of about a 100 acres behind our neighborhood. Everyday after school, we’d take a hack saw, whatever scrap nails and a hammer to the woods to build our kingdom. The goal was to cut 1-2 young pines down everyday, about 5-8” diameter, so that we could build our forts. I don’t recall ever changing the blade out of that hack saw, which is why it would take us all afternoon to get one pine on the ground..lol. Looking back on that, we took a pretty hefty profit away from some poor guy. We also booby trapped the mess out of our trails.. glad no one got hurt..
We’d sneak our BB guns back there, shoot chichi birds and cook them over a fire...none of us ever got to spend the night out there, but that was the big plan until my family moved away. I believe there’s a neighborhood in that area now.

Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Stub] #7931246 08/11/20 12:30 PM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"
How about 10-11 years old my mom would sign a check and I would walk to Skaggs alpha beta and buy her a carton of Tarteon 100 cigarettes. She would even give me some money to buy a can of Happy Days.

A lot simpler times.

Last edited by Superduty; 08/11/20 12:31 PM.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Superduty] #7931285 08/11/20 01:13 PM
S
Stub Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
How about 10-11 years old my mom would sign a check and I would walk to Skaggs alpha beta and buy her a carton of Tarteon 100 cigarettes. She would even give me some money to buy a can of Happy Days.

A lot simpler times.

Every now and then my mom would hand me cash down to the penny to go get her a carton of Salem Menthols, there were 10 packs to the carton and each pack had I thought had 20 cigs in them = 200?

Back in the 60's I knew every inch of Five Mile Creek between Hampton Blvd and HWY 67 in Oak Cliff, use to noodle before noodling was a big thing. Sticking my hands in those holes in the clay bank under the water line and usually pulling out a mud cat, also trapping them up against submerged rocks, got finned by more perch than ever stuck by a cat!

Last edited by Stub; 08/11/20 01:14 PM.

texas flag

Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Stub] #7931379 08/11/20 02:32 PM
J
jrgocards Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
I used to make a cabin with Lincoln logs. Placed some army men in and around it. Them I would bomb it all using logs catapulted. I used one of the old address books that would fly open when you touched the release as the catapult.

Played a lot of sandlot baseball. Walked or road my bike everywhere. Had some good dirt clod fights - I was the big loser one time. While walking we'd turn over anything flat (plywood or cardboard) that we came across to see what was underneath it. Also kept an eye out for any discarded adult magazines (kids these days don't know how good they have it)!!

JR

Re: What are some of the Cool and Unusual Stuff... [Re: Stub] #7931766 08/11/20 08:09 PM
9x19 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
When my Dad was in the USMC, we lived in trailer parks.
I remember running from shady spot to shady spot because we hardly ever wore shoes in the summer.
Getting out of the park to the unpaved areas was always the goal.

After he retired, we rode our bikes for miles a day, always looking for coke bottles we could turn in for the deposit.

Working with my Grand-dad on his farm, picking fruit - nothing like apricots and peaches fresh off the tree... or a (picked that morning) watermelon that spent the past few hours in the well (to get cold).

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide