Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925161 08/05/20 09:24 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Any of you city boys ever eat poke salad or wild onions. I have.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: bill oxner] #7925198 08/05/20 09:58 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bill oxner

Yeah, and you can get severely poisoned if you don't pick
either one correctly, and the poke has to be cooked right.
There's a poisonous plant that's similar to wild onion called
the death something-or-other. Can't remember exactly what
it's called, but sheep will eat it and get deathly ill and
sometimes die.
There's not any poisonous possums or squirrels or wabbits

Potable water is the most important consideration.
Not potential water sources, but stored known safe
drinkable water. If I was a terrorist or addled brained
antifa, I could render a small lake unusable with a
pint of gasoline additive. A surface water source is
too risky and unreliable depending on the scenario.
And I don't think you can filter out nerve agents.

Just have to hope for the best

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: bill oxner] #7925205 08/05/20 10:05 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

7 hours...and no mention of mules? confused2

'Little fast and loose with your "city boys" label, living in that "acreage subdivision" and all...in...the...city. bang

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: Creekrunner] #7925212 08/05/20 10:14 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

7 hours...and no mention of mules?

Well I'm sure they'd be just fine if cooked right,
salt and pepper and and a little gravy, etc.

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: bill oxner] #7925214 08/05/20 10:19 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

I didn't know HEB sold those
roflmao

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925251 08/05/20 10:58 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
We have recently had similar fun doomsday threads recently and my stand has never changed. Its not going to happen.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925283 08/05/20 11:24 PM
O
oldrancher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
REA (Rural Electrification Administration) and Screw Worm Eradication Program are the most successful programs the government ever initiated. I can still remember going with my Dad to the ice plant in Fredericksburg to pick up a huge block of ice for our ice box. We finally upgraded to a small refrigerator. Several rooms in our house had a single light bulb dangling from the ceiling with a long pull chain. Boy, did we get hollered at if we left that light bulb on and we were not in that room. We were wasting electricity! Mom and Dad never turned on the air conditioner we bought them unless they had company. They lived to be in there 90's without air conditioning and never missed it. Can I live without air conditioning. Yes. Can my wife, kids and grandkids. No. We had two kerosene stoves for winter heat. One in the kitchen and one in the living room. The one in the living room was only lit when we had company coming over. As soon as they left, it was turned off. The one in the kitchen was always on. That's where we lived during the winter. The rest of the house stayed cold. I slept upstairs in that old rock house and I would scrape the ice off of the inside of the window to see what the weather was like. It was a race to get to the kitchen to get dressed and get ready for the school bus. My job during the winter was to keep the stoves full of kerosene. We had two 55 gallon drums of kerosene with a hand pump about 50 yards from the house. I would pump the watering can with a rubber hose on it full of kerosene and fill the tanks on the stove. On cold days and night, I had to make regular trips to keep the stove tanks filled.

The Screw Worm Eradication Program was a boon to the deer population and livestock in our area. I don't know how many fawns, lambs, and calves I doctored. The fawns were so eaten up with screw worms that by the time I could catch them and doctor them they were pretty weak. Some made it but most died. Seeing deer and livestock with half of their head gone or sides eaten out was disheartening. Now we have so many deer that you can't raise a hay crop. That program is why the Texas Hill Country has so many deer now. The fawn survival rate is now probably 90% or more. With year round hunting and additional pressure for food, even that protein source would not last long.

I've read the book that Creekrunner referred to and know the home well. It was the hottest kitchen you have ever been in during the summer months but she made the best home made bread in that wood stove. If you got there just in time, she would slice it with her old bread knife, slosh it with real butter from their milk cow and put a generous amount of home made grape preserves on it. That with hard sausage out of their smoke house you had a meal you wouldn't forget. Well at least until you got home and ate the same thing for supper. When I was growing up, we were just a little better off then that household but not by much. We had a large garden and all of the surplus was canned in Mason Jars for the winter. I don't believe people know how long it takes to grow a garden and have fresh vegetables. We had a community potato patch where all of the neighbors would help plant and then come back when the potatoes were ready. Dad would plow them up and the neighbors would all help harvest for a portion of the crop. Those old pickups would pull out sagging almost to the tailgate with burlap bags full of potatoes. We ate a lot of potatoes after the harvest. The excess potatoes were stored in our smoke house on the cool dirt floor on news paper to keep them from sprouting. They would last a long time in there due to the coolness and lack of sun light. in time they would get soft and get sprouts and you had to sort through them to get the unspoiled ones. They also had a butcher club. One neighbor would donate a calf and they would butcher it. Neighbors would take portions of the calf and take it home and can the meat and fry up and eat what they could before it would spoil. We had hogs and come deer season, butchering became routine. I was raised on fresh and dried deer sausage.

I don't know of many people that still can their vegetables or even grow a garden. We still have all of the canning pots and pressure cookers but I was never involved in it. i was always outside with Dad. It may be time to learn the process. So could I survive. Probably but it sure would be hard to go back to those times. HEB has spoiled a lot of us.

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925300 08/05/20 11:42 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I guess we all think we are pretty tough, but compared to those that went before us I know I can’t measure up.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: oldrancher] #7925302 08/05/20 11:46 PM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by oldrancher
REA (Rural Electrification Administration) and Screw Worm Eradication Program are the most successful programs the government ever initiated. I can still remember going with my Dad to the ice plant in Fredericksburg to pick up a huge block of ice for our ice box. We finally upgraded to a small refrigerator. Several rooms in our house had a single light bulb dangling from the ceiling with a long pull chain. Boy, did we get hollered at if we left that light bulb on and we were not in that room. We were wasting electricity! Mom and Dad never turned on the air conditioner we bought them unless they had company. They lived to be in there 90's without air conditioning and never missed it. Can I live without air conditioning. Yes. Can my wife, kids and grandkids. No. We had two kerosene stoves for winter heat. One in the kitchen and one in the living room. The one in the living room was only lit when we had company coming over. As soon as they left, it was turned off. The one in the kitchen was always on. That's where we lived during the winter. The rest of the house stayed cold. I slept upstairs in that old rock house and I would scrape the ice off of the inside of the window to see what the weather was like. It was a race to get to the kitchen to get dressed and get ready for the school bus. My job during the winter was to keep the stoves full of kerosene. We had two 55 gallon drums of kerosene with a hand pump about 50 yards from the house. I would pump the watering can with a rubber hose on it full of kerosene and fill the tanks on the stove. On cold days and night, I had to make regular trips to keep the stove tanks filled.

The Screw Worm Eradication Program was a boon to the deer population and livestock in our area. I don't know how many fawns, lambs, and calves I doctored. The fawns were so eaten up with screw worms that by the time I could catch them and doctor them they were pretty weak. Some made it but most died. Seeing deer and livestock with half of their head gone or sides eaten out was disheartening. Now we have so many deer that you can't raise a hay crop. That program is why the Texas Hill Country has so many deer now. The fawn survival rate is now probably 90% or more. With year round hunting and additional pressure for food, even that protein source would not last long.

I've read the book that Creekrunner referred to and know the home well. It was the hottest kitchen you have ever been in during the summer months but she made the best home made bread in that wood stove. If you got there just in time, she would slice it with her old bread knife, slosh it with real butter from their milk cow and put a generous amount of home made grape preserves on it. That with hard sausage out of their smoke house you had a meal you wouldn't forget. Well at least until you got home and ate the same thing for supper. When I was growing up, we were just a little better off then that household but not by much. We had a large garden and all of the surplus was canned in Mason Jars for the winter. I don't believe people know how long it takes to grow a garden and have fresh vegetables. We had a community potato patch where all of the neighbors would help plant and then come back when the potatoes were ready. Dad would plow them up and the neighbors would all help harvest for a portion of the crop. Those old pickups would pull out sagging almost to the tailgate with burlap bags full of potatoes. We ate a lot of potatoes after the harvest. The excess potatoes were stored in our smoke house on the cool dirt floor on news paper to keep them from sprouting. They would last a long time in there due to the coolness and lack of sun light. in time they would get soft and get sprouts and you had to sort through them to get the unspoiled ones. They also had a butcher club. One neighbor would donate a calf and they would butcher it. Neighbors would take portions of the calf and take it home and can the meat and fry up and eat what they could before it would spoil. We had hogs and come deer season, butchering became routine. I was raised on fresh and dried deer sausage.

I don't know of many people that still can their vegetables or even grow a garden. We still have all of the canning pots and pressure cookers but I was never involved in it. i was always outside with Dad. It may be time to learn the process. So could I survive. Probably but it sure would be hard to go back to those times. HEB has spoiled a lot of us.

Very well written. Loved reading this, reminds me of my great grandmother in Lawn, Texas.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: oldrancher] #7925308 08/05/20 11:49 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

We just about quit canning when we quit the garden work, age was too much for us to keep gardening. When our neighbor dumps a bunch of fresh vegetable on our porch, we sometimes can a little of it, but buying HEB canned goods is so much easier.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: oldrancher] #7925360 08/06/20 12:21 AM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Boy id sit and listen to some of you guys for hours. Great stuff man.

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925385 08/06/20 12:33 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
There are 330 million people living in the US.

Roughly 95 million cows, 30 million WT deer, 4 million mule deer, roughly 3 million goats, etc. you see what I’m getting at.

Anyone seen the movie “ the road”? It would look a lot like that. No food to speak of, you better get ready to start eating people if you want to survive.

It’s possible to get real tucked back in some boon dock place but travel to would be dangerous and as stated before, be prepared for people to show up on the take. Game populations have been exasperated before with much less people and technology it can certainly happen again.

Long and short of it....it would suck. Mass chaos would ensue. The majority of the population being dead within a months time would be a blessing for the survivors.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925386 08/06/20 12:33 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
My bloodline has made it to 2020. I’m not that worried about it. I’m old but still a fairly dangerous man.

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: txtrophy85] #7925419 08/06/20 12:53 AM
Payne Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Roughly 95 million cows, 30 million WT deer, 4 million mule deer, roughly 3 million goats, etc. you see what I’m getting at.

How many of those are urbanites? It'll be ten times worse then Black Friday at Walmart.

[Linked Image]
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: Payne] #7925423 08/06/20 12:57 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Payne

How many of those are urbanites? It'll be ten times worse then Black Friday at Walmart.

Probably 80% live in urban or suburban environments. That doesent mean they are just gonna fall over and die like flies

Never underestimate people and their will to live

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: scalebuster] #7925425 08/06/20 12:58 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by scalebuster
My bloodline has made it to 2020. I’m not that worried about it. I’m old but still a fairly dangerous man.

Your started this similar e doomsday thread awhile back.

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...-average-law-abiding-citizen#Post7776768

[Linked Image]

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: bill oxner] #7925444 08/06/20 01:14 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by scalebuster

Your started this similar e doomsday thread awhile back.

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...-average-law-abiding-citizen#Post7776768

Thanks for chiming in Oxner. This thread shows how much you know about what is going on.

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: txtrophy85] #7925463 08/06/20 01:26 AM
Payne Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Online Shocked
Cat Herder

Probably 80% live in urban or suburban environments. That doesent mean they are just gonna fall over and die like flies

Never underestimate people and their will to live

I doubt most of those have a safer place to go and will stay in their neighborhoods. Within three days it will start getting ugly, in a weeks time you'll have complete chaos.

[Linked Image]
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925471 08/06/20 01:38 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Those who think they can live off the land should read about what is called “rabbit starvation”.

To be determined
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #7925486 08/06/20 01:50 AM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Those who think they can live off the land should read about what is called “rabbit starvation”.

I had to look it up. Caused by a diet deficient in fat. I would be eating plenty of pigs. No problem.

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: unclebubba] #7925504 08/06/20 02:12 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter

I had to look it up. Caused by a diet deficient in fat. I would be eating plenty of pigs. No problem.

Yeah the toughest part would be getting to my hunting grounds. Here in the neighborhood there will be plenty of rabbits.......and dogs and cats and.....I could probably make it to my friends place and then there are deer and such.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925514 08/06/20 02:18 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Also have to factor in electrical going down and fuel being unavailable.

Wells with submersible pumps will be of little value and most can’t go more than a few hundred miles on a tank of fuel and then that’s kaput.

Most people have a false sense of security when it comes to end of the world type scenarios. They either think they can hole up indefinitely in their homes because they have a large stash of ammo or because they can spend a weeks time at the lease they are somehow prepared to live forever off grid.

Best case scenario for 99% of folks is it’s gonna suck pretty dang bad if we get to that state.

I would say a few who are extremely remote would stand a fair chance of remaining un harassed but that’s the exception not the rule and then would have to consider limited resources one would have.

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925544 08/06/20 02:53 AM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Mad Max. Roving groups would form and move about taking everything from the "haves". Good people would turn into bad people in order to survive. Chaos would reign. Just look what happens when people think they can't get there cars filled up. I'd hate to think what they would do without electricity or water.

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: jetdad] #7925559 08/06/20 03:34 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by jetdad
Mad Max. Roving groups would form and move about taking everything from the "haves". Good people would turn into bad people in order to survive. Chaos would reign. Just look what happens when people think they can't get there cars filled up. I'd hate to think what they would do without electricity or water.

That’s why we are social animals. That’s why enclaves, towns and cities developed. Note how they were fortified.

To be determined
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7925565 08/06/20 03:39 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Dehydration will probably kill more people than anything else. Either that or drinking contaminated water.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide