Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Kill switches [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7922559 08/03/20 07:47 PM
D
DannyB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
There is a large hump or sandbar a ways north of the dam at Tawakoni. We were by the dam one day and I saw this guy headed right at it in a center console boat. I said to the bunch with us "watch this." He hit that sandbar probably no more than I would guess 20's or so. I bet he wishes he had been thrown out vs. down. He came to a dead stop---"thud." He managed to pull himself up and motor off of it. I bet it was a brutal fall.

Re: Kill switches [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7922561 08/03/20 07:48 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by redchevy
It’s the law, so better have it hooked to you, TPWD GW’s are watching, from experience this year roflmao

Ugh no tickets here. We made an attempt to start using it after reading the rule change or whatever, but old habits die hard, been running the boat since i was a teen and never used it till now. Sometimes i kill the engine and walk away and have to go put the damn thing back lol.

He was cool, just pulled up, say ha bud, law changed, please put that kill switch on your wrist.

Yes sir and did it and said have a great day.

Kill switches are mandatory in the salt now, or just lakes? I have never worn a vest or hooked up to the kill switch in my life lol.

Re: Kill switches [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7922564 08/03/20 07:51 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt
Yep I've had my bass boat topping out about 73mph and it's scary. mid 40s is good.

No thank you running that fast and shallow up on tower. I'm old enough to know better now...

First and last time I sat up top. roflmao

Nope nope lol.

My boat topped out at 40-45, that's plenty fast for me in a fishing boat.

Re: Kill switches [Re: redchevy] #7922565 08/03/20 07:52 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Ill just chalk this up to another reason i dont care to have a boat that goes that fast, or to drive one that fast.

Be like seeing a wreck on the interstate and saying well I'm glad I drive a go cart.

Re: Kill switches [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7922569 08/03/20 07:54 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I had a Gambler that would run mid 70's and I loved it. Peaceful and serene going that fast on water.

I also can't believe that boat didn't have a hot foot. Hot Foot's are the greatest thing for a bass boat, allows you to keep two hands on that wheel.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Kill switches [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7922572 08/03/20 07:57 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I rode with a friend in his hot rod boat several years ago and we got just over 80. I don't recall where the line was where we went from fun as hell to getting a little concerned, but I do know we crossed it at some point (at least for me).

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Kill switches [Re: bill oxner] #7922608 08/03/20 08:42 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Work well riding lawn mowers also.

I wonder if you could install a kill switch in a boat seat like you do a riding lawn mower or tractor? Or would water cause havoc on a switch like that?

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Kill switches [Re: dkershen] #7922643 08/03/20 09:12 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by dkershen

I wonder if you could install a kill switch in a boat seat like you do a riding lawn mower or tractor? Or would water cause havoc on a switch like that?

Not so much water, as would the bouncing up and down when running over other boats wakes or swells when it's windy. Plus, most of the time I'm standing up when running the boat when it's kinda rough out.

I HATE "safety" switches on lawn mowers, especially the seat switch. The first thing I do after buying a new mower is bypass every safety switch on it. I'm not mowing on steep hills and don't need them. I'm always getting off of the mower to move limbs etc, so it's a PITA if not bypassed.

Re: Kill switches [Re: skinnerback] #7922653 08/03/20 09:19 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by dkershen

Not so much water, as would the bouncing up and down when running over other boats wakes or swells when it's windy. Plus, most of the time I'm standing up when running the boat when it's kinda rough out.

I HATE "safety" switches on lawn mowers, especially the seat switch. The first thing I do after buying a new mower is bypass every safety switch on it. I'm not mowing on steep hills and don't need them. I'm always getting off of the mower to move limbs etc, so it's a PITA if not bypassed.

Good to know so when they find your body parts all over the lawn up
roflmao

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Kill switches [Re: dkershen] #7922655 08/03/20 09:19 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
grin My middle name is Safety, I need safety switches about as much as I need the "safety" spouts on the new gas cans.

Re: Kill switches [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7922674 08/03/20 09:26 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Never used mine but it would top out at about 30 knots. That's about 33 MPH. I think

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Kill switches [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7922706 08/03/20 09:40 PM
C
cm250 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Organ doners....

My Yote toys,
Ruger 77 22-250
Foxpro 416B & numerous hand calls
God would never send Firefighters to Hell because we would put the fire out!
Re: Kill switches [Re: ducknbass] #7922725 08/03/20 09:53 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Ill just chalk this up to another reason i dont care to have a boat that goes that fast, or to drive one that fast.

Be like seeing a wreck on the interstate and saying well I'm glad I drive a go cart.

I beoch about how fast folks drive on the hwy too!

Im an old fart at heart.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Kill switches [Re: skinnerback] #7922727 08/03/20 09:54 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
grin My middle name is Safety, I need safety switches about as much as I need the "safety" spouts on the new gas cans.

AMEN! Hate those stupid things!

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Kill switches [Re: skinnerback] #7922729 08/03/20 09:56 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

those aren’t safety spouts those are EPA eco friendly spouts...

popcorn

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Kill switches [Re: skinnerback] #7922740 08/03/20 09:59 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
It’s the law, so better have it hooked to you, TPWD GW’s are watching, from experience this year roflmao

Ugh no tickets here. We made an attempt to start using it after reading the rule change or whatever, but old habits die hard, been running the boat since i was a teen and never used it till now. Sometimes i kill the engine and walk away and have to go put the damn thing back lol.

He was cool, just pulled up, say ha bud, law changed, please put that kill switch on your wrist.

Yes sir and did it and said have a great day.

Kill switches are mandatory in the salt now, or just lakes? I have never worn a vest or hooked up to the kill switch in my life lol.

I think In any state waters. And yes it’s annoying, but I get it, especially intercostal with some of the bigger boat wakes

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Kill switches [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7922744 08/03/20 10:01 PM
N
Nathan at Fork Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
When I first moved to LAke Fork 12 years ago I had a 1998 BassCat PAntera with a 200 MErc I had rebuilt. I ran that thing MANY times cruising at 72-73mph peer GPS. I was 30. Now that Im 42, I just would have no desire to go that fast in a boat again. Ive also never worn the safety switch except while on a jet ski. Now I just have a slow pontoon boat , lol.

[Linked Image]
Re: Kill switches [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7922772 08/03/20 10:19 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

those aren’t safety spouts those are EPA eco friendly spouts...

popcorn

trout

Re: Kill switches [Re: KWood_TSU] #7922773 08/03/20 10:20 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
I had a Gambler that would run mid 70's and I loved it. Peaceful and serene going that fast on water.

I also can't believe that boat didn't have a hot foot. Hot Foot's are the greatest thing for a bass boat, allows you to keep two hands on that wheel.

I've run a gambler. Bout the worst boat made imho. Hate how low they sit, terrible hole shot, being on fork with one you've gotta crank the outboard every 10 minutes to get that flat rascal off a stump. Worst of all that tongue will grab while that rear will slide. Don't ask me how I know.

Re: Kill switches [Re: ducknbass] #7922811 08/03/20 10:49 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K

I've run a gambler. Bout the worst boat made imho. Hate how low they sit, terrible hole shot, being on fork with one you've gotta crank the outboard every 10 minutes to get that flat rascal off a stump. Worst of all that tongue will grab while that rear will slide. Don't ask me how I know.

What are you talking about, gamblers draft low. They also have a good hole shot if propped right.
Now I will agree on getting stuck in the stumps, it was terrible at that, not a good boat for a stumpy lake.
Also sounds like user error on the front grabbing, never once had mine do it, but I knew that boat inside and out.

Interesting fact, a gambler and equal sized ranger weigh the same. Just goes to show you how superior their hull is. They're an excellent rough water boat too.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Kill switches [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7922848 08/03/20 11:19 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Probably 10 years ago I had a very close call that taught me a very valuable lesson. I own what many consider to be the best rough water bass boat ever built so kill switches and life jackets were never much of a concern of mine. One day the wind was blowing about 30mph as I was headed south down the lake. I had to swing real tight to a long point to safely run through some timber and then hang a sharp left across the point. As I made my left turn I caught a wave just right and it ejected me from the drivers seat and into the passengers seat. I promise you no matter how strong you are you cant hang on to the steering wheel in a situation like that. Thankfully I have a hot foot so when my foot came off the pedal the boat came off plane and slowed to an idle.

Looking back two things could have happened with much worse outcomes:
1: I could have been thrown the other direction and into the water without a life jacket or kill switch attached.
2: Without a hot foot my boat would have been up on the land before I would have ever known what happened.

Now days its a kill switch and life jacket anytime the boat is above idle.

Re: Kill switches [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7922876 08/03/20 11:42 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Knots?

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Kill switches [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7922878 08/03/20 11:44 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I miss Ethyl

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Kill switches [Re: KWood_TSU] #7922884 08/03/20 11:48 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

What are you talking about, gamblers draft low. They also have a good hole shot if propped right.
Now I will agree on getting stuck in the stumps, it was terrible at that, not a good boat for a stumpy lake.
Also sounds like user error on the front grabbing, never once had mine do it, but I knew that boat inside and out.

Interesting fact, a gambler and equal sized ranger weigh the same. Just goes to show you how superior their hull is. They're an excellent rough water boat too.

When I say sit low. I mean a guy my size ain't meant to sit that low to the bottom of the boat. The slide was not full on. I used to tease my nephew by running right up on a bouy and yanking the wheel and going right around it. Always did it in my Skeeter. Did it in that gambler and I took it as a warning shot.

Last edited by ducknbass; 08/03/20 11:49 PM.
Re: Kill switches [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7922920 08/04/20 12:15 AM
bigbob_ftw Online Content OP
Big Sprocket Bob
OP Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Can anyone answer my question about boats with no factory kill switch?

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide