Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Any Electricians here? #7911748 07/24/20 05:30 PM
H
Hicksbuilt Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
I started as and electrician apprentice a few weeks ago, and I will be starting IEC in the fall. Any advice from some seasoned electricians would be greatly appreciated.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: Hicksbuilt] #7911759 07/24/20 05:34 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
PM Cast.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: Hicksbuilt] #7911802 07/24/20 06:03 PM
P
Poppa Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
P
Listen to mr chandler. He knows his stuff

Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: Hicksbuilt] #7911814 07/24/20 06:11 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Remember this:

There’s old electricians and there’s bold electricians, but there’s no old, bold electricians.

And what the Navy taught me:

When you’re working a hot circuit, put one hand in your back pocket.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: Hicksbuilt] #7911816 07/24/20 06:14 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Don't drink on the job. cheers

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: Hicksbuilt] #7911819 07/24/20 06:16 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
"When in doubt, ground it out"

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: Hicksbuilt] #7911881 07/24/20 06:56 PM
K
Kevin_M Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
K
When my team trains employees on the fundamentals of working on UPS', inverters, DC plant and things like that at some point we'll always end up telling them that a general rule to keep them safe is that " Most mistakes working with AC will hurt you however most mistakes with DC will kill you"

Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: Hicksbuilt] #7911890 07/24/20 07:04 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Hicksbuilt
I started as and electrician apprentice a few weeks ago, and I will be starting IEC in the fall. Any advice from some seasoned electricians would be greatly appreciated.

I spent a few decades as an Electrician, started fresh out of High School as a helper/apprentice and worked my way up to Master Electrician, Foreman, Superintendent, Inspector etc. This is what I did when I was coming up as an apprentice in the 90's, and what I told my oldest Son who is currently an apprentice paying his dues. Buy yourself an Ugly's Book (Electrical) and study it every day (just a little, every chance you get). Start with definitions and memorize them. Then start memorizing your conduit bending formulas (multipliers). Laminate a little cheat sheet and keep it on you, test yourself (your memory) regularly. Then start memorizing how many/what size & type conductors can legally fit in what size conduit. Memorize all of the different conduit fittings, the different types of cable & wiring, and memorize as many abbreviations as you can. There's a TON more to learn, but that's a good start. You will be ahead of the others if you dedicate yourself to studying/memorizing the above mentioned.

The most important advice I can give you is this. Never, under any circumstances, take anyone's word that a circuit you are about to work on is locked out. If you are going to put your hands on anything, ALWAYS verify that 1) you are working on the correct circuit and 2) verify YOURSELF that the circuit is de-energized and locked out/tagged out properly. Invest in a meter and learn how to use it. I was 18 when I first learned this lesson. My Foreman almost killed me. I cut into 277V on a lighting circuit that my Foreman had locked out for me. Blew up, knocked me off of a 12' ladder and I landed on a steel deck. Yes it hurt. Later in life I watched one of my best friends die of electrocution (480V) because he took our Supervisor's word on an energy isolation. I have many more stories, but I'm not telling you all of this to scare you. Electricity is nothing to be afraid of, but it demands respect. If you don't know something, ask. If you're working with an old crotchety Journeyman (I worked under a few) that doesn't like you asking 50 questions during the day every day while he's trying to focus on what he's doing, then save your questions. Write them down in a tally book/notepad and ask questions when it's a better time.

Holler at me if you ever need anything.

Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: Hicksbuilt] #7911908 07/24/20 07:19 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Electrician by trade. Good field. I made it through the dot-com bust then 9-11 never a short check.

Cast hot work is rare as a leprechaun riding unicorn.

Don't quit IEC.
Who you going to work for?

If your on a big job it can get monotonous. Same thing over and over and over. I've seen guys 4byears in that had never done anything but underground, or roughing in walls. Try real hard not to end up like that. Service department is better for learning as a green hand I think.

When there is idle time pick up trash, organize your material etc don't get caught with your hands in your pocket it staring at your phone.

Pm me who you go to work for. Chances are I may know someone. Small industry really.

Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: Hicksbuilt] #7911929 07/24/20 07:47 PM
P
pdr55 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Start buying electrical tools.
Get all the basics first, Kleins, sidecutters, good screwdrivers, and a leather tool bag and leather belt.
Buy quality tools !!! Pay attention to your JM !

If you`re running down my country, man,
You`re walking on the fighting side of me. (Merle)
Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: Hicksbuilt] #7911936 07/24/20 07:56 PM
D
decook Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D

All I can offer you is a congratulations. Good on you - have fun and make the most of it!

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: Hicksbuilt] #7911972 07/24/20 08:15 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

A faulty neutral line can zap you just as good as a live line - don't ask me how I know - test everything (including grounds) before grabbing hold! eek2

Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: Cast] #7912013 07/24/20 08:45 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted by Cast
Remember this:

There’s old electricians and there’s bold electricians, but there’s no old, bold electricians.

=1 I'm alive because of this advice!

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: Hicksbuilt] #7912022 07/24/20 08:53 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Oh! Never wear jewelry. No rings, watches, bracelets, necklaces, earrings or anything else metallic.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: bill oxner] #7912040 07/24/20 09:06 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bill oxner
PM Cast.

See?

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: ducknbass] #7912043 07/24/20 09:07 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by ducknbass
When there is idle time pick up trash, organize your material etc don't get caught with your hands in your pocket it staring at your phone.

Good advice, or pick up a broom. Be self motivated, do things without having to be told first. You’d be surprised
who is watching when you think no one is. Like I told my Son, when on a job site...walk with a purpose, no lolly gagging or f’n around. In my crew running days, one of my biggest peevs was helpers with lead in their [censored]. Walk with a purpose and stay focused on what you’re doing.

Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: Hicksbuilt] #7912095 07/24/20 09:48 PM
J
jphunts6165 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
#1. As Cast said never trust anyone that something is turned off. Always start from the furthest incoming source of power and work your way to where you are supposed to be. Have know people killed from jack wagons bypassing disconnects or adding jumpers to thing to “make things run until you get there.”
-Wear the equipment you are supposed to PPE./ Use the correct tools. Things can blow up for no rhyme or reason.
-Use your references, ugly book, electric books, maybee a course books and apply it to what you are learning hands on. It will help you learn by reading and seeing at the same time. Also get to know others in the industry. And use them to lean on as well. Your teacher could be a freelancer that could take shortcuts. Personal experience here with that one. That’s the way we have always done it.
-Don’t be scared, have a healthy respect and if you don’t feel comfortable don’t do it. Stop regroup and figure the finer details of the job out.
*Aways approach everything as hot*

Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: Hicksbuilt] #7912156 07/24/20 10:44 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Your new best friend will be named Klein.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: TexFlip] #7912165 07/24/20 10:52 PM
P
Poppa Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
P
Originally Posted by TexFlip
Your new best friend will be named Klein.

last name Fluke

Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: Cast] #7912264 07/25/20 12:22 AM
G
Gary Olson Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Oh! Never wear jewelry. No rings, watches, bracelets, necklaces, earrings or anything else metallic.

One guy working for me would not remove the chain bracelet someone "special" to him gave him to wear. 12 volts DC and 14 amps of UPS power grounding thru his arm and some charring on his special bracelet changed his work habits.
Know the weight limits for lifting cable and equipment. You have only one back, use it wisely.

Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: Hicksbuilt] #7912290 07/25/20 12:52 AM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Some excellent advice above.

I will reiterate what Cast and others said. NEVER, EVER take anyone’s word regarding your safety. That is your responsibility, take it seriously.

Buy quality tools. Not only does it make the job easier, but eventually you will buy them anyway when the cheap stuff lets you down.

Learn from the old guys. They have done it long enough to know the tricks that make it easier.

Good luck! I kinda wish I would have stayed in that field.

Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: skinnerback] #7912388 07/25/20 02:42 AM
P
Paluxy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by skinnerback

I spent a few decades as an Electrician, started fresh out of High School as a helper/apprentice and worked my way up to Master Electrician, Foreman, Superintendent, Inspector etc. This is what I did when I was coming up as an apprentice in the 90's, and what I told my oldest Son who is currently an apprentice paying his dues. Buy yourself an Ugly's Book (Electrical) and study it every day (just a little, every chance you get). Start with definitions and memorize them. Then start memorizing your conduit bending formulas (multipliers). Laminate a little cheat sheet and keep it on you, test yourself (your memory) regularly. Then start memorizing how many/what size & type conductors can legally fit in what size conduit. Memorize all of the different conduit fittings, the different types of cable & wiring, and memorize as many abbreviations as you can. There's a TON more to learn, but that's a good start. You will be ahead of the others if you dedicate yourself to studying/memorizing the above mentioned.

The most important advice I can give you is this. Never, under any circumstances, take anyone's word that a circuit you are about to work on is locked out. If you are going to put your hands on anything, ALWAYS verify that 1) you are working on the correct circuit and 2) verify YOURSELF that the circuit is de-energized and locked out/tagged out properly. Invest in a meter and learn how to use it. I was 18 when I first learned this lesson. My Foreman almost killed me. I cut into 277V on a lighting circuit that my Foreman had locked out for me. Blew up, knocked me off of a 12' ladder and I landed on a steel deck. Yes it hurt. Later in life I watched one of my best friends die of electrocution (480V) because he took our Supervisor's word on an energy isolation. I have many more stories, but I'm not telling you all of this to scare you. Electricity is nothing to be afraid of, but it demands respect. If you don't know something, ask. If you're working with an old crotchety Journeyman (I worked under a few) that doesn't like you asking 50 questions during the day every day while he's trying to focus on what he's doing, then save your questions. Write them down in a tally book/notepad and ask questions when it's a better time.

Holler at me if you ever need anything.

Solid advice.

(and be sure you tell everyone you now work with strippers)

Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: Cast] #7912549 07/25/20 12:45 PM
H
Hicksbuilt Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Remember this:

The first sounds like it could be my new motto.

But I don't get the one hand in your back pocket...

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: NORML as can be] #7912552 07/25/20 12:48 PM
H
Hicksbuilt Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Originally Posted by NORML as can be
Don't drink on the job. cheers

I don't know if I can live up to such a high standard...

Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: TexFlip] #7912554 07/25/20 12:50 PM
H
Hicksbuilt Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Originally Posted by TexFlip
"When in doubt, ground it out"

I'll keep that in mind!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide