Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Drill [Re: Biscuit] #7906944 07/20/20 06:20 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Porter Cable I bought has turned out to be junk took it back and before 30 days was up it broke again so I bought a Makita and never looked back..

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Drill [Re: Biscuit] #7907097 07/20/20 08:29 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

[Linked Image]

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Drill [Re: Biscuit] #7907126 07/20/20 08:52 PM
K
Kawabuggy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
To those of you who think Rigid is as valuable as the card-board box that it came in... Let me be the detractor from that fantasy. It's GARBAGE. I have bought 3 of their drills, the 18V ones because the chuck goes bad within 30 days and then will no longer hold a bit. By that I mean it gets to the point where if you want the chuck to hold the bit, and not slip-meaning the bit stops spinning but the chuck keeps going round-you have to tighten the CRAP out of it... Mere hand strength won't do it. I honestly have a pipe wrench that I use to tighten the chuck onto a drill bit.. Only then will it hold it and not slip. I had been using this one drill, and the pipe wrench for about a year when the motor finally let out a good size cloud of smoke and then would no longer function. At that point, I CANNOT find an authorized dealer that will repair it. I tried to take it back to Home Depot-they gave me a list of "Authorized repair locations". NONE of them wanted me to bring the tool in when I told them it was a RIGID. I finally decided that I could fix it myself.. Took it apart.. Cheap, plastic bushings inside... The wiring on the little electric motor was all burned up. I then priced out the part-$86 for part & shipping.. You know how much a NEW drill is at Home Depot? $99.. So, I bought a new drill.. That was 30 days ago (+/- about), and the chuck on the new drill is just starting to get to a point where my hand strength is not enough to tighten it anymore..

For those looking DEWALT, or MAKITA, both make GREAT products that will actually HOLD a drill bit and not slip. Yes, you are going to pay more, but you will be rewarded with a higher quality product, and less frustration with China made crap. I find that Makita tools are a little smaller in size, weigh a little less, and you won't fatigue as quickly over a long day of running screws in a wooden privacy fence.

A hog is nothing more than a bullet receptacle.
Re: Drill [Re: Biscuit] #7907131 07/20/20 08:56 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I have only had 2 drills in the last 30 years or so. The first was a Dewalt when the 12v just came out and was big and heavy but ran forever. Now I have a Makita 18v and couldn't be happier with its performance.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Drill [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #7907168 07/20/20 09:26 PM
7mmSavage Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Another vote for makita best drill I ever had.

Re: Drill [Re: Shotgun Willie] #7907180 07/20/20 09:34 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie
Whatever you get, pony up for the brushless version. Makes all the difference in run time.

Yea it does. The Ryobi brushless is deceptively small (like a toy) but its a torquey little bastard.

Re: Drill [Re: Biscuit] #7907184 07/20/20 09:36 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Hmmmmm

Re: Drill [Re: Biscuit] #7907226 07/20/20 10:05 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
I bought a Dewalt XR Combo Brushless package last year on a Black Friday sale. I have been very pleased with them.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by TPACK; 07/20/20 10:06 PM.
Re: Drill [Re: Biscuit] #7907232 07/20/20 10:11 PM
B
bucksnbass357 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Milwaukee is the best. DeWalt is a very good second choice for less money and will last a homeowner a lifetime

Re: Drill [Re: Biscuit] #7907281 07/20/20 10:46 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
I dont know the name of it, but the gizmo circled in red is a handy little gadget. The guys that replaced our door and door frame used one.

[Linked Image]

Re: Drill [Re: aerangis] #7907400 07/21/20 12:14 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by aerangis
I dont know the name of it, but the gizmo circled in red is a handy little gadget. The guys that replaced our door and door frame used one.

[Linked Image]

Looked at it at Home Depot today. It’s $99 without the battery. Very impressive little tools. I used one trimming the lake house and was shocked at what it can do.

Re: Drill [Re: Kawabuggy] #7907653 07/21/20 05:30 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Kawabuggy
To those of you who think Rigid is as valuable as the card-board box that it came in... Let me be the detractor from that fantasy. It's GARBAGE. I have bought 3 of their drills, the 18V ones because the chuck goes bad within 30 days and then will no longer hold a bit. By that I mean it gets to the point where if you want the chuck to hold the bit, and not slip-meaning the bit stops spinning but the chuck keeps going round-you have to tighten the CRAP out of it... Mere hand strength won't do it. I honestly have a pipe wrench that I use to tighten the chuck onto a drill bit.. Only then will it hold it and not slip. I had been using this one drill, and the pipe wrench for about a year when the motor finally let out a good size cloud of smoke and then would no longer function. At that point, I CANNOT find an authorized dealer that will repair it. I tried to take it back to Home Depot-they gave me a list of "Authorized repair locations". NONE of them wanted me to bring the tool in when I told them it was a RIGID. I finally decided that I could fix it myself.. Took it apart.. Cheap, plastic bushings inside... The wiring on the little electric motor was all burned up. I then priced out the part-$86 for part & shipping.. You know how much a NEW drill is at Home Depot? $99.. So, I bought a new drill.. That was 30 days ago (+/- about), and the chuck on the new drill is just starting to get to a point where my hand strength is not enough to tighten it anymore..

For those looking DEWALT, or MAKITA, both make GREAT products that will actually HOLD a drill bit and not slip. Yes, you are going to pay more, but you will be rewarded with a higher quality product, and less frustration with China made crap. I find that Makita tools are a little smaller in size, weigh a little less, and you won't fatigue as quickly over a long day of running screws in a wooden privacy fence.

Sounds like user error on the chuck. They are really a simple device, but over tighten anything and it will quit doing its job.

Re: Drill [Re: BigPig] #7907669 07/21/20 10:58 AM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by Kawabuggy

Sounds like user error on the chuck. They are really a simple device, but over tighten anything and it will quit doing its job.

If you fill out the paper work it has a lifetime warranty.... I don’t understand why you did just get your money back

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Drill [Re: Biscuit] #7907670 07/21/20 10:59 AM
S
samsamthemex Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I have been a commercial HVAC installer for 20 plus years. I have started out using Craftsman drill. Graduated to Dewalt a few years later. Them moved on to Milwaukee. Now I have moved on to Hilti. Milwaukee has a good warranty. I have sent in cordless drills and bandsaws to get fixed or replaced.

Now my Hilti breaks I just call Hilti manI and it’s replaced while mine gets sent in for repair or replacement.

Re: Drill [Re: aerangis] #7907720 07/21/20 11:55 AM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by aerangis

[Linked Image]

I think that's called a nibbler.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Drill [Re: TPACK] #7907753 07/21/20 12:41 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
That would be a handy kit to take to an interrogation.

I'd like to see the look on the guys face as the tools were being removed from the bag.

Originally Posted by TPACK

[Linked Image]

Re: Drill [Re: Biscuit] #7907812 07/21/20 01:48 PM
B
Big_Country01 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
I see some hate for Porter Cable, but i have several of their cordless and have been happy. The brushless versions seem a bit more stout. 1/4" and 1/2" impacts have seen heavy use. Sawzall and drills are more of an around the house use. Lithium Ion batteries have held up well.

I have an older NiCad 1/4" impact and drill set, with a brush motor. They have held up decent but the batteries are no comparison to the Lithium.

Re: Drill [Re: Biscuit] #7907937 07/21/20 03:47 PM
M
MO Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I love my DeWalt flexvolt system . Started with a drill , added second, and it escalated from there. Once you have a few , you can buy bare tools, save lots of $$

Latest buy is a hedge trimmer attachment for the pole saw.

MO

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide