Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Argentina Dove Hunt #7896169 07/10/20 03:07 AM
Greg Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
I’ve always dreamed of going and I’m curious what it would take to put together a trip? If you’ve been, where did you stay and would you recommend it? Is it safe? Do you bring your own gun or just use theirs? How many boxes of shells a day/birds did you shoot? What’s proper etiquette on tipping? What time of year is best? Could you do a trip for $5k?

I really appreciate the information, Thanks!

Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: Greg] #7896307 07/10/20 12:32 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Greg
I’ve always dreamed of going and I’m curious what it would take to put together a trip? If you’ve been, where did you stay and would you recommend it? I've been twice, once with Pointer Outfitters and once with River Plate Wingshooting, I would highly recommend either outfit.

Is it safe? Absolutely.

Do you bring your own gun or just use theirs? Rented guns but several people in our group brought their own guns and the outfitters assisted with getting them through customs. it was a breeze.

How many boxes of shells a day/birds did you shoot? It depends what time of year you go. I've been once in peak season (July) and once in the "down season" (March). I would say budget for 100 boxes a day. 50 in the morning, 50 in the evening.

What’s proper etiquette on tipping? We would tip our bird boys $20/hunt ($40/day total). Then you have bus drivers, cooks, house keeping etc. For a 3 day trip $3-400 should cover tips.

What time of year is best? Our summer, June-August.

Could you do a trip for $5k? You could easily do a 5 day trip (2 day of travel, 3 full days of hunting) all in for $5k, airfare included. You can find smoking deal on trips at hunting conventions or even banquets, like DU, CCA, Delta waterfowl. I see a lot of trips on hunting page classifieds that people bought in an auction and have to sell because they can't go on the trip for one reason or another.

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: john paul] #7896369 07/10/20 02:01 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by john paul
I’ve always dreamed of going and I’m curious what it would take to put together a trip? If you’ve been, where did you stay and would you recommend it? I've been twice, once with Pointer Outfitters and once with River Plate Wingshooting, I would highly recommend either outfit.

Is it safe? Absolutely.

Do you bring your own gun or just use theirs? Rented guns but several people in our group brought their own guns and the outfitters assisted with getting them through customs. it was a breeze.

How many boxes of shells a day/birds did you shoot? It depends what time of year you go. I've been once in peak season (July) and once in the "down season" (March). I would say budget for 100 boxes a day. 50 in the morning, 50 in the evening.

What’s proper etiquette on tipping? We would tip our bird boys $20/hunt ($40/day total). Then you have bus drivers, cooks, house keeping etc. For a 3 day trip $3-400 should cover tips.

Could you do a trip for $5k? You could easily do a 5 day trip (2 day of travel, 3 full days of hunting) all in for $5k, airfare included. You can find smoking deal on trips at hunting conventions or even banquets, like DU, CCA, Delta waterfowl. I see a lot of trips on hunting page classifieds that people bought in an auction and have to sell because they can't go on the trip for one reason or another.

100 boxes of shells a day? I can’t even imagine shooting half that many boxes a day! Do you wear a shoulder pad? Do they have 28ga for rent?

Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: Greg] #7896377 07/10/20 02:12 PM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Just be aware a box of shells, depending on what the outfitter charges, wills run $12-$14 per box. That's where the trip gets expensive when you start dropping a grand a day in shells. But I guess you can control that by limiting your shooting. But why go if your going to do that.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: 2flyfish4] #7896422 07/10/20 02:52 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
Just be aware a box of shells, depending on what the outfitter charges, wills run $12-$14 per box. That's where the trip gets expensive when you start dropping a grand a day in shells. But I guess you can control that by limiting your shooting. But why go if your going to do that.

2 buddies of mine went back a number of years ago as a graduation present from their parents. 5 day bird hunt. Day 3 they left and spent the next two in Buenos Aires.....got tired of shooting birds. Shell bill then was over $1500 each and that was almost 20 years ago.

Right now most guys as you stated are running $12-14/box of shells. Our outfitter will let us rent Benelli 20 gauges for $75/day. I'm going for Stag but every single outfitter said do not bring your own gun, its a pain in the rear. My buddy went last year and it took 4 hours to get his shotgun thru customs

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: Greg] #7896569 07/10/20 05:25 PM
D
doggit Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
D
I have been going on a yearly Argentina combo shoot for 6 yrs in a row. EXCEPT for this year in May because of Covid! Moved it to next year. Going to shoot only doves for days in a row gets boring after the 2nd day. It sounds like fun but becomes works after 2 days you're ready for a change. Which is why I do a combo shoot. Dove roost shoots (not as high volume as Cordoba) but 800-1000 rounds is the norm if you want in an afternoon. Then decoy pigeons 1 full day. If you've never done this it's like duck hunting on land. My favorite. Perdiz hunt over dogs. Which is their quail but they dont covey like ours usually singles sometimes double. Then duck shoots in the AM usually 35-40 birds in couple hours. All kinds cninnamon teal, silver teal, widgeon rosy bill pochard, ect.. Notice I said shoots on all but the perdiz. you do have to walk and hunt them with the dogs. The rest you just shoot there is no hunting involved!! A 6 day trip flying overnight out of Houston and staying 1 night in Buenos Aires is about $7500 all in. that's airfare, airport transfer, tips, shells, gun rental, (beretta xplor's or benelli's 12 and 20 don't take yours hit or miss and pain in the a--,) license,
hotel in BA, everything. They have a 4 days combo shoot that would fit your budget all in but why go all that way for just 4 days? This year because of covid Argentina has been closed til September to foreign travellers last I heard. I have searched high and low at SCI shows ect to find a better (cheaper) shoot and there are none out there. you could buy an auction trip but in my experience it's cheaper and the outfitter knows this so you don't go to the same places full paying hunters do. Just my experience. I did find another outfitter that was close in price but their duck, perdiz and pigeon limits weren't as many as the outfitter I use. I might get some pm's so I'll just name the outfitter and you can research them yourself. But if you do have any questions I would be glad to answer from my experience down there. the outfitter is RanchoSalvaje,com or Argentinabirdman.com is their american contact in Florida. I compare these guy's to the budget hunter ,but still with nice, comfortable acommidations and 5 course meals, great bird boys, usually have your own room with bath, unless you want to share with friend, and they usually only take groups of 6-8 at a time. And they ALWAYS have put you on birds .Last year I went in May, that's opening of season for them going into winter there. Then I took a last minute trip in August with my 2 teenage boys, the end of the season and I/we shot just as many birds in August as I did in May. We just had to drive a little further (1 hour or so) to shoot ducks. If you want wipe your butt service and over the top accomidations look elsewhere. When I last talked to them they were forced to move this year hunters to next year, but I think they said they still have a couple weeks in July open. 2021.

Last edited by doggit; 07/10/20 05:39 PM.
Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: Greg] #7896682 07/10/20 07:31 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Any of those outfitters run combo dove/fishing trips? I've heard they have ridiculous trout and salmon fishing down there. Or is the fishing in a different part of the country from the dove blasting?

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: Texan Til I Die] #7896692 07/10/20 07:39 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I know River Plate does golden dorado/dove combo trips. Or they did back when we went with them.

Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: 68rustbucket] #7896694 07/10/20 07:41 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Originally Posted by john paul

Is it safe? Absolutely.

100 boxes of shells a day? I can’t even imagine shooting half that many boxes a day! Do you wear a shoulder pad? Do they have 28ga for rent?

Yes 80-100 boxes per day is very doable, even during the down season. During their winter you usually have enough clothes on that you don't need a pad but when we went in March I wore a pad the whole time.

Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: Greg] #7896756 07/10/20 08:55 PM
Greg Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Awesome information... thanks guys!

A cast and blast would be perfect if I could find one.

Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: Greg] #7896790 07/10/20 09:34 PM
B
booskay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
When I went they would pass out the score sheet at dinner,,,,,,, 13 hunters were killing 6000 birds a day. I know that seems impossible,,, but that's what it was. I usually averaged about 250,,, one guy was killing over 1,000 a day. ps they didnt pick up any birds,,, just left them in the field.

Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: Greg] #7896952 07/11/20 12:20 AM
nak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I've been three times, all the same lodge.

I've rented a gun and averaged 1500 - 2000 rounds a day.

They pick you up and drop you off at the airport. Food is great. The provide an interpreter (she was cute).

The first time we used a local outfitter. The second and third trip we just emailed the lodge owner directly and set it up.

Went last year. Airfare was almost $1800 round trip. All in, including tips, i was at about $5,300 for three days of shooting 1/2 on arrival, 2 full days, then a 1/2 day the day you leave.

If I was going longer, I would still only do three days of shooting. I would add sight seeing for a couple of days.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: Greg] #7897122 07/11/20 03:57 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I would rather hunt west texas.

Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: Greg] #7897555 07/11/20 07:16 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Pm dkershen, I believe he and another member we’re selling/promoting a certain place down there.

Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: Greg] #7901516 07/15/20 04:24 PM
T
TKandMike Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
I've got a lodge down there that we sell hunts out of almost year around (summer gets too hot). https://estancialaspalomas.com/

It's absolutely safe, and all of your premiere lodges will pick you up from the airport with nice trucks/vans.

As far as bringing guns I'd suggest using the outfitters guns. You don't want to trash yours with the high volume of shells.

I"ll PM you my number.

If anyone else has any questions about the tips/tricks that outfitters use or how to do a hunt as economic as possible feel free to PM me, I'm happy to help.

Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: Greg] #7901969 07/15/20 09:43 PM
218 Bee Offline
Tracker
Tracker

Anyone that fancies him (or her) self a serious wingshooter owes it to themselves to do this at least once. The She-Wolf and I did this a few years ago and had a blast (pun intended).

Absolutely, rent the guns. World travel with firearms is getting tougher all the time so I choose to eliminate that hassle where I can...and this is one of them!

We shot 28 gauge exclusively and you don't need more. Good areas will yield shooting opportunities like you've likely never seen. Our last day I joined the "1000 Bird" club (the shooting equivalent of a PFC stripe down there!)...and that was with a leisurely start, a good morning shoot followed by a very comfortable lunch, and a good afternoon shoot.

Allocate money for a massage if available; we needed one after that day!

Mark

[Linked Image]

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness". - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: Greg] #7910007 07/23/20 04:22 AM
B
Brandon Adamcik Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Sierra Brava hands down

Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: booskay] #7910304 07/23/20 02:59 PM
A
acg323 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
With all these birds being shot, who is eating them??? Are you able to take some home?

Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: acg323] #7910365 07/23/20 03:40 PM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Cant bring them home, most are just left in the field, some are taken back and given to locals. But I've heard the locals are sick of them and dont eat them

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: 2flyfish4] #7910399 07/23/20 03:55 PM
A
acg323 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
Maybe they can be donated to Venezuela... such a waste.

Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: Greg] #7910422 07/23/20 04:07 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
What I've heard is that they are actually an invasive species down there. They don't migrate, and have grown to such a huge population that they decimate crops and are as big or bigger of an issue than our hogs are here. Shoot them and let them lay. Nobody cares as long as they've been shot.

Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: Greg] #7910431 07/23/20 04:11 PM
B
Black02z28 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Our September trip got pushed back to March next year. I was bummed at first, then realized that gave me more time to save for a Red Stag hunt while there in March smile

Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: Greg] #7910483 07/23/20 04:37 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Go it's a blast and experience not to be missed. Went 16 days dove, pigeon, parakeet, peridiz, ducks. Couple days in BA on front end and a night on back end. food is incredible. Hunted 1 week up North and then second week closer to Patagonia. Unless you plan to go back often, then I suggest going for a least a week and do combo hunt or cast/blast with sight seeing in BA. So much shooting you can really work on your skills. For example, duck hunting each am or pm I would only take a certain flight pattern shot and let ducks just light and pass if they did not present with my shot pattern selected for that particular hunt. Still took guide self imposed limit of 40 each am and pm doing selected path shot only.

don't forget the extra $$ for Black Club (hear it my be closed) and Jet Lounge in BA. Just incredible to see (I did not take full experience) but drinks or expensive.

Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: unclebubba] #7914442 07/27/20 02:52 AM
B
Brandon Adamcik Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by unclebubba
What I've heard is that they are actually an invasive species down there. They don't migrate, and have grown to such a huge population that they decimate crops and are as big or bigger of an issue than our hogs are here. Shoot them and let them lay. Nobody cares as long as they've been shot.

It’s estimated that 77 million roost around Córdoba.

Re: Argentina Dove Hunt [Re: Brandon Adamcik] #7914614 07/27/20 01:23 PM
T
TKandMike Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Brandon Adamcik
Originally Posted by unclebubba

It’s estimated that 77 million roost around Córdoba.

In talking with some biologists in Cordoba they estimate that there are millions of dove that die due to starvation. It's a full blown plague. Their climate also allows for multiple hatches per year. It's truly incredible seeing the birds there.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide