Forums46
Topics538,020
Posts9,731,894
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rough estimate to replace an electrical panel [Re: bill oxner] #7872387 06/16/20 10:48 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by bill oxner
I would never tempt a DYI. I watched The Man who changed mine out. It took muscle power as well as brain power.

It ain't rocket surgery. I promise you that.

Re: Rough estimate to replace an electrical panel [Re: Bullfrog] #7872389 06/16/20 10:49 PM
G
gtrich94 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Bullfrog
I want to back up to this new insurance company telling you what to do on your house. Can they even do that?

They can't force me to swap the panel, but they can cancel my policy next year at renewal time if I don't replace it. Based on previous issues, I guess their actuaries have decided that the Challenger panels are fire risks. Liberty Mutual didn't have an issue with it when we bought the house back in 2009. I'm not sure if that would change today if I was to get a new policy with them or Allstate or ... UPC seems to have a big issue with them.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Rough estimate to replace an electrical panel [Re: gtrich94] #7872392 06/16/20 10:51 PM
P
pdr55 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
What part of Houston?

If you`re running down my country, man,
You`re walking on the fighting side of me. (Merle)
Re: Rough estimate to replace an electrical panel [Re: LoneStarSon] #7872393 06/16/20 10:53 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by LoneStarSon
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Originally Posted by Cast
Pics will help. How it’s mounted, is it in a sheet rocked wall? Can you get to and pull the meter? Get a list of approved breaker panels from the insurance company and also get the reason they want it replaced. Also get their installation requirements. I’m trying to tiptoe around asking them if they require a master electrician to do/supervise the job.

Breaker panels are not too hard to change, but you gotta pull the meter. If the removal and reinstall of the panel is easy, the actual wiring is pretty anticlimactic. If you have wires coming into the panel from top and bottom, that makes it tough. If it’s in Sheetrock, the wall will need to be opened. That’s not a big deal if you cut the rock out carefully so you can reinstall the piece.

So, if everything falls into place, you’ll be out the price of the new panel, breakers and whatnot. You won’t need much wire if any. Oh, and schedule the job for the cool days in autumn.

With today's smart meters you pull that meter you'll likely have a representative from the utility company coming to check on it while you are doing the job Don't ask me how I know.

Are you not allowed to do that? You are required to use an electrician?

We were required to have a licensed electrician do it in Bosque County....yes.

Just talk to your local electric company guys ahead of time. Mine said no problem and the would replace the seal next time they were out.

Re: Rough estimate to replace an electrical panel [Re: pdr55] #7872419 06/16/20 11:21 PM
G
gtrich94 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted by pdr55
What part of Houston?

Clear Lake

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Rough estimate to replace an electrical panel [Re: gtrich94] #7872448 06/16/20 11:38 PM
P
pdr55 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I bet you’re going to have to get a master electrician to pull the permit.

If you`re running down my country, man,
You`re walking on the fighting side of me. (Merle)
Re: Rough estimate to replace an electrical panel [Re: gtrich94] #7872455 06/16/20 11:43 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by gtrich94
Originally Posted by Bullfrog
I want to back up to this new insurance company telling you what to do on your house. Can they even do that?

They can't force me to swap the panel, but they can cancel my policy next year at renewal time if I don't replace it. Based on previous issues, I guess their actuaries have decided that the Challenger panels are fire risks. Liberty Mutual didn't have an issue with it when we bought the house back in 2009. I'm not sure if that would change today if I was to get a new policy with them or Allstate or ... UPC seems to have a big issue with them.

As an electrician you are doing the right thing.

Re: Rough estimate to replace an electrical panel [Re: gtrich94] #7872486 06/17/20 12:04 AM
J
JimmyG Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Ask around and find you a reputable Master Electrician or contractor. They know how to navigate the local utility & city hall. Your city will probably require a permit or inspection before they pass or "green tag" your new installation. NEVER pull your meter unless it is an emergency, the local electrical utility frowns on these actions. They call it meter tampering and you could wind up in hot water. An experienced electrician should be able to demo and install the new panel in a couple of hours unless they run into something unforeseen. Have them put you in a SqD or Cutler Hammer load center. Good Luck!!!!

Re: Rough estimate to replace an electrical panel [Re: gtrich94] #7872571 06/17/20 01:31 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
You may need an electrical contractor. The electrical contractor is the one that is licensed to operate an electrical business. An electrical contractor must have a master electrician that works for the electrical contractor or owns the business himself. The company with the contractor’s license will get the permit if required. This is done by an authorized agent or the master himself.
A master electrician will sit in the office (lazy dudes), the work is generally done by a journeyman (hard working dudes). Sometimes work is done by the master electrician, depends on the electrical business, some are a two-man crew, and some are 200 two-man crews.
There are plenty of good bootleg electricians out there that are licensed as an electrician, but not as an electrical contractor to do work legitimately. Your insurance may want a legitimate company, not necessarily just a licensed person. I have seen guys that say they are licensed and only carry an apprentice license.

Last edited by Simple Searcher; 06/17/20 02:21 AM.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Rough estimate to replace an electrical panel [Re: ducknbass] #7872645 06/17/20 02:35 AM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Originally Posted by bill oxner
I would never tempt a DYI. I watched The Man who changed mine out. It took muscle power as well as brain power.

It ain't rocket surgery. I promise you that.

Yup,
And an unfinished garage makes it bunch easier

[Linked Image]

Re: Rough estimate to replace an electrical panel [Re: gtrich94] #7872646 06/17/20 02:36 AM
J
Jman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Once you pull permits may also find you have to update/upgrade fire protection alarms.

Jim Featherston
Mortgage Loan Officer - NMLS 2509901
Red Diamond Home Loans
165 S Kimball Ave, Suite 100
Southlake, TX 76092
PH 972-890-3114
Apply at: RDHLoans.com/Jim
Re: Rough estimate to replace an electrical panel [Re: gtrich94] #7873185 06/17/20 05:49 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Your installation in an unfinished garage makes this a cakewalk. Easy greasy but you gotta pull the meter. I certainly would not hire this out. They will certainly rape you without even giving you a kiss. I’m old and slow, so for me to do this job I’d schedule a half day.

Pull meter
Pull breakers
Pull wires out of panel (except mains)
Remove old panel (slide over mains)
- about an hour or two

Install new panel (slide over mains)
Pull wires into panel
Install new breakers
- about an hour or two

All breakers off except main. Main breaker on
Plug in meter
Turn on one breaker at a time, identify/locate area controlled and label breaker
Repeat
- About 90 minutes

Locate cold beer, sit and admire new breaker panel

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Rough estimate to replace an electrical panel [Re: Cast] #7873192 06/17/20 05:59 PM
texasag93 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Your installation in an unfinished garage makes this a cakewalk. Easy greasy but you gotta pull the meter. I certainly would not hire this out. They will certainly rape you without even giving you a kiss. I’m old and slow, so for me to do this job I’d schedule a half day.

Pull meter
Pull breakers
- about an hour or two

Pull wires into panel
Install new breakers
- about an hour or two

Plug in meter
Turn on one breaker at a time, identify/locate area controlled and label breaker
Repeat
- About 90 minutes

Label each wire with the circuit name.

Re: Rough estimate to replace an electrical panel [Re: gtrich94] #7873206 06/17/20 06:12 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I let my Master's license go years ago, wish I wouldn't have. Could be doing (legal) side work right now since being laid off.

Last time I pulled a meter I got a visit from the power company and letter in the mail that threatened to fine me for meter tampering. Hard to get away with nowadays with the smart meters. Just call the power company.

Re: Rough estimate to replace an electrical panel [Re: Cast] #7873580 06/17/20 11:24 PM
B
blanked Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B

Pull meter
Pull breakers
- about an hour or two

Pull wires into panel
Install new breakers
- about an hour or two

Plug in meter
Repeat
- About 90 minutes

I don’t understand why you would leave the main breaker powered on. Now your dealing with all the individual breakers being hot on the line side

Re: Rough estimate to replace an electrical panel [Re: gtrich94] #7873626 06/18/20 12:21 AM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
bang

[Linked Image]

Re: Rough estimate to replace an electrical panel [Re: gtrich94] #7873685 06/18/20 01:35 AM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Just had this replaced two weeks ago in Rockport
Old Federal Pacific Stab-Lok panel the meter box as well for $1,175.
They came out and replaced it unscheduled.
Actually they came out about 2pm on a Monday and the old box was so bad that they canceled next days appointments and had the power scheduled to disconnect power the next morning. Had it all completed by noon the next day.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Replaced with Square-D boxes.
[Linked Image]

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide