Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: DLALLDER] #7870534 06/15/20 02:06 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Again, great discussion. Agree with most of what has been said so far. There is the ideal, and there is the pratical, and there is the possible. Every ranch has to make the decisions of what would best for them given their own constraints. I don’t believe there is any correct answer for anyone, and the “correct answer” may shift over time given real life. Still fun to talk about.

Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: Texas buckeye] #7870543 06/15/20 02:13 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Again, great discussion. Agree with most of what has been said so far. There is the ideal, and there is the pratical, and there is the possible. Every ranch has to make the decisions of what would best for them given their own constraints. I don’t believe there is any correct answer for anyone, and the “correct answer” may shift over time given real life. Still fun to talk about.

You said that with so many fewer words. I just cant do that. Ideal, practical, possible--I like that.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: freerange] #7870546 06/15/20 02:17 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by freerange

You said that with so many fewer words. I just cant do that. Ideal, practical, possible--I like that.

It took reading yours and STX’s posts to get to that. Not sure that is the best way to say it, but it makes sense when using your Goldilocks analogy .

Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: Texas buckeye] #7870559 06/15/20 02:28 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by freerange
Ill give this a real long reply later when I have time, but for now im curious how many acres you personally shot the 12 spikes in a month. We have over 10000ac and it would take a few years to even see 12 spikes. We might average seeing one buck thats short a brow tine per year and we might see one buck on average per year that has less than 8 points unless its 2yr or less. We do not cull anything till 4 and usually 5yr and do not feed protein. Every situation is different and that will be the crux of my lengthy reply later.

I would be willing to bet if you were shooting everyone you see you would be surprised at the total by the end of the year. Most people do not pay attention to spikes until they have more than one in front of them. Why I say this is because of a 5700 acre LF ranch that I now that started a management program after they had been feeding protein for quite a few years. They were not killing a 160 type deer very often even in wetter years and nothing ever over 175 gross. That ranch was part off a much larger ranch that was divided into 3 different lease pasture groups. One of the pastures was killing 160+ deer on a regular basis(with no protein) and even deer up to the low 190's on the better rainfall years. The pasture that was feeding protein had a good buck to doe ratio but they had to many deer for the habitat. They started out by doing some blind count surveys to get an idea on population and then buck to doe/fawn numbers. They got the approval of the LO to start shooting more deer to get the numbers back in line with the habitat. They started shooting spikes, bucks that were 2+ yrs or older with under 8 pts, bucks 4.5 or older with 8 pts or weak 9 pts and then their normal amount of trophy bucks(if they wanted one). They agreed on spikes since they were not seeing many....38 spikes later and all the invited guests that had tags they stopped shooting but felt they had gotten most of them that first year. Before they started shooting I ask them how many spikes they thought they had and they agreed on maybe 101-2 on their 5700 acres. They shot another 12 to 15 of the 2.5 yr or older bucks with less than 8 pts and 4.5 or older 8/9 pts. They also killed around 40 does IIRC that first year. They kept this program in place plus in the 2nd year and after, they started to shoot off the mature bucks(9 or 10pt or more) that would not score over a certain minimum score..ie 140 or less for example. It took them about 4 yrs to see better upper end bucks and then they started killing deer over 160 gross. They even killed a few deer into the 170's and 180+ gross over the next few years.
I managed a ranch in La Salle county that was about the same size as this one. It was LF before I went to work and then HF after I went there. They fed protein(LF for previous 5 yrs) and shot a few does on occasion in most years with one year killing 40. They would shoot a cull or management buck and a few trophies but never any spikes. Deer numbers were very high for that habitat.The first year I went to work the HF was finished that summer and we started removing mouths from herd that had a deer to 7 to 8 acres with almost a 1 to 1 buck to doe ratio. We shot 35 to 40 spikes per year the first 3 years I was there. They continue to shoot spikes today, 17 yrs later. They also shoot cull/management bucks from every age class including 1.5 yr old bucks that have less than 6 pts. At this point in their management it does not matter if that spike was genetic, late born, had a poor mother or injured they have better 1.5 yr old bucks that they are more interested in keeping.
I also know of a very large LF ranch that has been shooting spikes every year since the late 90's now. They also started culling very hard on the 2.5 yr old and older bucks at that same time. They shot the lower end of the 1.5 yr old up to mature bucks and continue with an even more intense program today. If a buck is mature on that ranch he will be or has been a really good deer. IRRC the biggest buck killed priour to the late 90's was a low 190's gross NT buck. Fast forward to today and that top end buck was killed in the past couple of years grossed 257 NT and netted over 246 NT. They kill net book deer on a regular basis, some years multiple bucks now. Long term commitment to their management plan and goals.
Intense management of shooting spikes and management deer is not for everyone.You have to look at what you are wanting to do and the hunters you have to do it with. Some ranches or lease don't have the resources or people to do it consistently every year. It involves a lot more work than most people realize. Shooting deer is just part of the long term plan. A study was done years ago that said most hunters feel they got their monies worth(for lease or paid hunt) if they were seeing at least 7 deer(bucks and does together) every time they went to the blind or hunted. Some hunters don't care what the bucks look like as long at they are seeing some each hunt. Some hunters want to see several quality bucks of all ages. That is where the goals set in the beginning will differ.

So it begs the question, were these ranches just vastly overpopulated and killing was directed at both doe and young bucks? In simply “reducing mouths” would these goals have been met or do you think the goals of bigger deer were somehow related to killing the spikes and that spikes are genetically inferior to branched yearlings? It is sometimes very difficult to separate the true “cause” and the “side effect” benefit. We all know killing doe took a back seat for decades to killing bigger bucks, so we’re these ranches just so over populated they needed to be thinned and the thinning and proper nutritional management was really all that was needed (meaning shooting any buck and not necessarily the spikes up front, just thinning the herd)? Sorry if that is rambling, but I think the point comes across

The 5700 acre pasture/ranch hunters had no idea how many deer they had or had they ever done a survey. They were feeding protein using Lamco timered feeders. Regulating how much they fed. They were of the mind set they did not have to many deer but were disappointed in their results after quite a few years of limited harvest and feed. Doing the first blind counts opened their eyes to what part of their issue was...more deer than they thought they had. When they added up their fawn numbers alone and I mentioned that is how many deer they needed to shoot just to keep the current population the same, they about fell over. They had to clear anything with the LO but he was on board after they explained what they wanted to do. Killing spikes was just a way to pull deer numbers down with the tight buck to doe ratio and to many deer. Easy for them to put a friend alone in a blind and tell him to shoot a doe or a spike. You put a guest in a blind and tell him to shoot a 2.5 yr old 7 pt and 99%(back in the late 90's) of the time they will kill the first 7pt 1.5 yr old that steps out. Were deer numbers the issue? Absolutely they were...but in this lease situation the LO would have never agreed to them pulling that many deer off by only killing mature bucks. No one frets over a spike for removing buck numbers when you have the ratio and to many deer.
The second ranch was basically the same but that situation was a bit different. They owned the land and leased the pasture they added to it. They managed all of it the same plus fed protein on it. No survey but just shoot a few deer and feed as much protein as they could(year round). They did not believe the numbers of deer they had till the survey was done. We killed 175 deer the first year, 185 the next year and then 98 IIRC the last year. The first year there were only 2 7+ yr old bucks killed over 150 by guests. There were about 30 bucks killed that were 5+ and scored under 130. The same was done the next 2 yrs. (I left after 3 yrs).That brought the population down dramatically but still not in-line with where they should be for that habitat. It was a step in the right direction. The genetics were there in that herd but it had been top graded for years. Low end bucks were left to die of old age or eventually get shot after being involved in the breeding herd for way to many years. Not nearly enough does were shot for the amount of feed fed...that feed caused high fawn crops even in drought years. They never killed enough deer to cover their recruitment rate. Just add more feeders and feed more.....bandaid type approach. This ranch was part of what was once a very large acre ranch that had produced numbers of high scoring deer by the lease hunters. The lease hunters goals were to kill a 160+ buck each year...in the end they were killed some top end younger bucks when they could not find a mature buck that fit that class. Were deer numbers the issue on this ranch? Absolutely they were a major part of the issue but the top grading was even as bad of an issue. Today with the management they have in place they have more feeders, improved the habitat, culled and pulled a lot of deer off and have one of the top deer herds I have seen. The amount of deer over 160 are amazing and the amount of deer over 180 is overly as impressive. Today they shoot cull/management bucks that most would consider trophies. 99.9% of the 2 yr old bucks will have had 6 points or more as yearling to have lived to see 2.5 yrs old. They cull as many of the bucks they can before the rut so the top end deer of every age class get very little pressure put on them and they get a chance to breed.
The third ranch had a long term management plan in place. They started a new program with the new biologist...he was aggressive and progressive. His survey the first year showed deer per acres numbers ranging from a deer to 9 acres in a pasture to a deer to 35 acres in another pasture...IIRC the average over the whole ranch was a deer to 20 acres. Some of the habitat would not support a deer to 35 acres. This is a very large ranch so they had habitat ranges from one area to another. Some the habitat issues were man made and were going to take time to correct. The biologist had intensively shot spikes and culls/management bucks on the ranch managed prior to this one. The result were impressive back then for the early 90's.
So to answer your question...the short term fix was killing off mouths. They were successful in doing that and it showed quickly. The long term improvements can be attributed to long term goals and sticking to their management plans. Their management practices(culling in particular) are being upgraded every few years. The results have been more impressive the last 3 yrs than you would believe.
For smaller landowners this is not feasible since they do not have the resources to do that and just don't control enough acres to see any kind of improvement. Then you factor in AR restrictions and it now is very difficult to get enough deer off the habitat with a good buck to doe ratio. My little place is an example of this. I have limited my buck harvest to only 7 bucks (all mature) with two yrs killing 2 per year and several years not killing any bucks since 2012. I was the only one shooting does around my place during that same period and the population showed that. With MLD (on does only) I was able to pull off 29 does in that 8 yr period. It would be scary to see how many deer would be on my place if I had not done that. Taking off those does alone tightened the buck to doe ratio up tremendously with it being 1 to 1 or even more bucks than does for a few years in a row now. One year I counted up 49 bucks I had seen on camera or in person from Sept till Jan...41 or 42 those bucks had made the season. With my limited harvest on bucks it created a problem on the overall numbers side. Luckily low fawn numbers the last few years are helping on that end. I am hoping that by shooting does every year and low fawn crops that eventually they the buck numbers will come down to a better level.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: Texas buckeye] #7870567 06/15/20 02:43 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
What a great topic and good discussion so far.

Quick question, for the typical Texas hunter, on a lease with say sub 500 acres of land under “their” control, what is the long term management relating to deer? Is the answer simply to reduce mouths, let deer age, and not worry about management killing spikes or no brow time deer? I have to think most Texas hunters/land owners can not shoot enough deer to make a difference and if they could shoot enough deer on a smallish ranchette then 1. Their neighbors will be pissed at them, and 2. They will kill all their deer.

Would be awesome if we all had access to 5000+ acre leases to be able to actually manage deer herds, but I feel for the vast majority of hunters it’s more an issue of increasing age and nutrition and management ends pretty much at that.

The answer is "it depends" grin IME it is different on every property, even with a fence line separating the places. A lot will depend on the habitat, their rainfall averages, the deer numbers, the age structure of the herd, the hunting pressure around their lease, the length of their lease, will the lease hunters shoot or pass on the deer required, will the lease hunters take chances by letting the right deer walk another year, etc. Culling or shooting management bucks is not really doing much on a smaller place...shooting only mature bucks is a great start as long as it is done at the correct amount based off of the surveys each year. Shooting to many of the wrong deer can be an issue on smaller acreages. Smaller acreage lease are not so much about managing the deer as it is about managing the hunters. Not putting X amount of hunters on Y acreage.....it should be about putting X amount of hunters per Y amount of bucks. Getting X amount of hunters all on the same page with one goal in mind is a feat in itself. Not many leases can do that to attain their goals. More importantly many leases do not want to do that..they just want to shoot deer and have a great time outdoors. Nothing wrong with either lease group. My 2cents

Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7870569 06/15/20 02:46 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Obviously over populated popcorn

dunce Obviously you have not been on any of those 3 ranches. grin

Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: DLALLDER] #7870582 06/15/20 02:58 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Yes that makes sense. And I get your strategy for your place too. I wish Oklahoma (where my place is) offered me an option to take more doe, but their DMAPS program requires more land than I currently have access. I have the real possibility of joining a lease in OK that has real trophy potential and will need some doe removed, and that will further limit my ability to take doe off my place. Conundrums. But not great for management unless I can convince my son to actually fire his bow at something this year. I am sure I could get some friends to shoot some doe on my place too...

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 06/15/20 03:27 AM.
Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: stxranchman] #7870586 06/15/20 03:01 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Obviously over populated popcorn

dunce Obviously you have not been on any of those 3 ranches. grin

I can’t help you need cheaters. roflmao

You need a thermal drone bolt

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: DLALLDER] #7870602 06/15/20 03:13 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
IMO, for management on smaller places you need to concentrate on the things you can control. Get a handle on what the deer numbers are on our place/lease and what they county average is for your area. If deer numbers are to high then work on the doe numbers with the tags you have....even if it is 2 does per year it will add up over time. In 5 yrs that is 10 less doe mouths and their fawn(s) crops over that period which can make the number much greater. Fewer does can raise just as many if not more fawns per year. If you can I would address the water issue if you are in an area that is lacking water> This can create more deer activity on your place/lease over time. For me this is a biggie,..in heavily hunted areas address the amount of pressure that you put on the place/lease in all the seasons. Make the best suited area of the ranch a bedding sanctuary that is not traveled into. These are all things I have done on my little place in the last 8 yrs now.

Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: DLALLDER] #7870663 06/15/20 09:51 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Albeit on a larger place, our problem isn't from hunters taking too many deer, but from hunters not taking their portion and especially the antlerless goal. What is it about horns?

Know of an interesting program where doe numbers were provided and hunters were successful The next year, the number was higher and the hunters were successful. The next year, the antlerless tally included fawns at the rate of 20%. The fourth year, the fawn % was increased to 40%. Numbers, buck/doe ratio and then you can start "sifting" out undesirable characteristics.

Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: DLALLDER] #7870699 06/15/20 11:47 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Good info as always. There have been numerous discussions and debates on this (and other forums) over the years about leases costing too much, having too many or not enough rules, numbers of guest, etc. I have always stated that hunters need to match their style and wishes with the lease they are joining. If you primarily want meat and the hunting experience for you, family, and friends then that type of lease is common place. If you primarily enjoy the management aspect and want to work to grow bucks to their full potential and your goal is to take a trophy end buck then there those leases are out there. Problems arise when a hunter who wants and expects one thing joins a lease that is set up with different goals than theirs.

Having been in charge of a large, LF ranch for many years, IMO the number one quotient for success is getting the right members to join. You can have rules and management programs in place all day long but if a hunter is not willing to abide by them then it simply will not work.

So in our case our LO and my job is to make sure any potential members are given full information up front as to how the ranch is operated and what is expected of each member. Finding folks who are willing to be patient with what they shoot while paying out lots of $$ is not easy but can be done. Just takes a lot of up front effort.

Again, matching the right hunters with the right lease/ranch is where it begins.

You can't fix stupid
Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: DLALLDER] #7870758 06/15/20 01:27 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
IMO management or "cull bucks" are both very broad terms. What I would consider a buck under those terms on my property would be completely different than what someone else on their property. Some like just seeing a lot of bucks whereas I like seeing the right buck(s). Some areas a goal of 130 class bucks every year is realistic whereas a 150 class buck every year is not realistic. Others places have a goal of multiple 160+ every year and it is very attainable. There are larger ranches across the state that have the genetics to get 160+ deer every year and fall short for a number of reason IMO. How you get a place to your goal is where the major differences begin. Almost everyone's place where they allow bucks to get old will have some of the type of bucks they are looking for. Differences arise in management plans for the bucks but the end goal is the same. One issue then becomes if they get to that goal what do they do to control numbers? That is where the serious management begins and sometimes the arguments start. Like tlk posted you need one good leader that can take input from the masses but has the final say.
Years ago I liked to get the deer population to the correct numbers for the acreage, buck to doe ratio addressed as quickly as I could, work on habitat/nutrition, then start to work on taking the lower end bucks and finally start to take trophy bucks after a 4-5 yrs. What I learned 30 yrs ago was that in some habitats deer numbers have a way of multiplying very rapidly with number reduction. When shooting only does very early you could increase buck numbers rapidly and you filled up your buck numbers with very young age classes. You had your buck to doe ratio where you wanted it and your carrying capacity where you wanted it but lack mature buck numbers. To keep your numbers where you wanted them you had to make room for the new fawn crop numbers every year. To do this there was no choice but to shoot the lower end of those younger age class bucks. This was done just to keep your numbers where you wanted and to try to get the older age classes of bucks filled in. Early on by allowing buck numbers to grow for 3 or 4 yrs I soon learned that if I did not like him at 4 or 5 yrs of age, there was very high chance I did not like him at 1 or 2 yrs of age. Not every deer has the genetics to be the class of deer your are looking for. If I have the tags and resources, now I will shoot the lower end bucks the first year and every year after. In the end it was a deer number and it was a mouth off the habitat. This came from watching 100's of bucks for years on TC or from visual sightings.
Genetics on a ranch and what those genetics can show play a major part of decisions. Those genetics can vary greatly across a county and region. Expectations sometimes have to be adjusted after a few years hunting a place. Record keeping and history play a major role in your decisions on a place if your are serious about deer management. Past history is important if it is available. Looking at deer killed off a place 20, 30 or even 70 yrs ago is important from a genetics and goals/expectations standpoint.
One thing that many do not consider is the amount of hunting pressure you can put on a ranch/lease to attain your management goals. How the pressure, when it is applied and how much hunting pressure is applied will effect the every ranch/lease differently. You go from 0 to 60 in one month of hunting on a place that has not had much hunting pressure and negatively effect it long term. Stress on a deer herd is not good.

Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: DLALLDER] #7870784 06/15/20 01:51 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
We cannot take bucks until 3 1/2 and then they have to have less than 8 points. At 4 1/2, all 8 pointers can be on the table. Even so, we have come to find if ugly when young, likely ugly when older.

Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: DLALLDER] #7870830 06/15/20 02:39 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
WOW!!! All I did was sleep a few hours and I come back and theres more deer management information on this thread than any book ive ever read on the subject. Lots of good contributors on here but STx continues to blow me away. Its remarkable his knowledge but the fact that he is willing to spend so much of his time sharing it is fantastic and very unigue. I hope all yall realize how lucky we are to have that kind of source. Hes not gettting paid nearly enough!!! I dont want to short change any others out there that may know as much as STx, but if you are out there I think its safe to say that you are not sharing your insights at nearly the level he does. At some point I may go back through and try to address some of his points as well as others but theres just too much to get my head around right now.
Back to topic. Even given all of STx information I hope its clear that he still shares some of my thoughts as well as tlk and TxBuck and others that there are many situations that culling should not or cannot be addressed. Deer management is similar to a vehicle that has many parts and it takes a wide assortment of tools to get it going and keep it going.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: DLALLDER] #7870848 06/15/20 03:04 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
One thing that studies have shown is taking that one buck doesn’t affect the deer herd anymore than not taking him. Meaning, the genetics of the herd are not negatively or positively affected by taking a single (or couple) buck. When you talk about high grading or low grading the herd, then you are talking modification of the herd, but for the majority simply removing deer means removing mouths. In that case it can be a ugly deer or a good deer, it’s just reducing a mouth. When you talk actually taking numbers, then you have to be selective because you could shoot all the good ones and leave the bad ones (high grading) or just shoot too many and have none left for the next year or two. It is a deliberate act, not just random shooting.

Again, for the vast majority of hunters this is not really applicable, just removing doe and mouths to feed and trying to keep overall numbers down to increase nutrition for the remaining deer

Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: stxranchman] #7870896 06/15/20 04:00 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
IMO management or "cull bucks" are both very broad terms. What I would consider a buck under those terms on my property would be completely different than what someone else on their property. Some like just seeing a lot of bucks whereas I like seeing the right buck(s). Some areas a goal of 130 class bucks every year is realistic whereas a 150 class buck every year is not realistic. Others places have a goal of multiple 160+ every year and it is very attainable. There are larger ranches across the state that have the genetics to get 160+ deer every year and fall short for a number of reason IMO. How you get a place to your goal is where the major differences begin. Almost everyone's place where they allow bucks to get old will have some of the type of bucks they are looking for. Differences arise in management plans for the bucks but the end goal is the same. One issue then becomes if they get to that goal what do they do to control numbers? That is where the serious management begins and sometimes the arguments start. Like tlk posted you need one good leader that can take input from the masses but has the final say.
Years ago I liked to get the deer population to the correct numbers for the acreage, buck to doe ratio addressed as quickly as I could, work on habitat/nutrition, then start to work on taking the lower end bucks and finally start to take trophy bucks after a 4-5 yrs. What I learned 30 yrs ago was that in some habitats deer numbers have a way of multiplying very rapidly with number reduction. When shooting only does very early you could increase buck numbers rapidly and you filled up your buck numbers with very young age classes. You had your buck to doe ratio where you wanted it and your carrying capacity where you wanted it but lack mature buck numbers. To keep your numbers where you wanted them you had to make room for the new fawn crop numbers every year. To do this there was no choice but to shoot the lower end of those younger age class bucks. This was done just to keep your numbers where you wanted and to try to get the older age classes of bucks filled in. Early on by allowing buck numbers to grow for 3 or 4 yrs I soon learned that if I did not like him at 4 or 5 yrs of age, there was very high chance I did not like him at 1 or 2 yrs of age. Not every deer has the genetics to be the class of deer your are looking for. If I have the tags and resources, now I will shoot the lower end bucks the first year and every year after. In the end it was a deer number and it was a mouth off the habitat. This came from watching 100's of bucks for years on TC or from visual sightings.
Genetics on a ranch and what those genetics can show play a major part of decisions. Those genetics can vary greatly across a county and region. Expectations sometimes have to be adjusted after a few years hunting a place. Record keeping and history play a major role in your decisions on a place if your are serious about deer management. Past history is important if it is available. Looking at deer killed off a place 20, 30 or even 70 yrs ago is important from a genetics and goals/expectations standpoint.
One thing that many do not consider is the amount of hunting pressure you can put on a ranch/lease to attain your management goals. How the pressure, when it is applied and how much hunting pressure is applied will effect the every ranch/lease differently. You go from 0 to 60 in one month of hunting on a place that has not had much hunting pressure and negatively effect it long term. Stress on a deer herd is not good.

Absolutely great stuff within this entire thread but bolded above to me says it all.
What is a management or even a cull buck on some places could very well be the best buck on other places!
There are LF ranches/pastures where they literally consider up to 170" deer management deer and 140" deer culls. Now granted those kinds of places are far and few between but they do exist.
When we talk about those types of 'upper end' places the shoot/don't shoot standards are going to be quite a bit different than a place that is in it's 2nd or 3rd year of management!

Each place is certainly different and must be managed accordingly with someone very knowledgeable leading that charge....such as stxranchman!

Hell, if I'd have culled every 8 point or less mainframe buck on my little place 8 or 9 years ago we'd have only had one buck left around! lmao

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: DLALLDER] #7871422 06/15/20 11:34 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
In the hill country, (Comal county) where my FILs lease is, a 2.5 year old with no brows gets shot. No questions. Up here in North central Texas our deer population is lower and we have better nutrition. I'm not interested in just shooting a buck just because I can. I'd probably let him walk.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: DLALLDER] #7871425 06/15/20 11:39 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
If a 2.5 yo buck does not have any brow tines would you consider him to be a management buck (take him out of the breeding circle)? If not at 2.5, what age would you consider him a cull? I am on a lease that seems to have a lot of bucks with no brow tines & LO wants them taken out, just not sure of what age class to take. Thanks Daniel

If your lease has a bunch on them as you say, why not start with shooting the oldest one's first? Try to kill the mature 4.5-5.5 yr olds.

Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: DLALLDER] #7871451 06/16/20 12:04 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Taking culls and management bucks does not "change the genetics" on any ranch. What is does do, IMO, is limits the number of bucks that show their poor genetics from breeding. Does provide one half of the genetics and of course there is no way to "judge" the genetics of a doe. But the OTHER 50% (bucks breeding those doe) can be limited.

So in our situation we cull a ton of does most years to keep the numbers in line. Then we provide supplemental feed coupled with our natural browse (which is amazingly diverse and plentiful). Then we shoot any buck that does not show potential - if left alone nature will produce straight 8 pointers all day long. Our deer have multiple kickers, splits, wide, narrow, mass, and points that it makes zero sense to let a 3-4 year old basic 8 point walk. All I know to go by is our results over many years - so at the end of the day we ain't changing nothing!

You can't fix stupid
Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: DLALLDER] #7871751 06/16/20 11:56 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I started a thread about me and a long time commitment to improving my Ibex. It has worked but it has taken quite a few years. First off you have to have the right genetics to start. I did not and had to purchase a male that did. Same would go with WT. Your best Buck you have on the entire place may not have what you are trying to manage for. What do you do then? Every year I remove the oldest Females. If a certain amount of females are born I remove that amount of the oldest females. That way the young ones have more of the traits I am looking for. Again can you do that with WT? You could but chances are you won't. Every 3 years I purchased a new pure bred male and removed the older one. Again it would be hard to do this with WT. So as not to draw this out. Unless you have something to start with. Unless you will be committed to actually working at a plan. Unless you are HF or have a very large LF acreage you may have a tough time meeting you goals. And another thing. And this is just my own beliefs. The AR's that have been started are in the long run going to change the antler type in those areas. You keep letting less than 13" wide antlered bucks breed the does and what do you thing the long term result will be?

Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: DLALLDER] #7871765 06/16/20 12:17 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
To those that cull a bunch - What do you do with all that meat??

I've asked around out here and the area food banks don't do that much. I know Hunters for the Hungry and Woodburys in Kerrville is still a donation site, but at $30.00 a pop, if you need to take off 20+ it adds up real quick. Plus Kerrville is still a ways. I have a walk-in cooler, so that reduces the urgency of the process, but I'm trying to figure out how to help some people and not waste meat. I'm talking to a local pastor, and we may be able to get something going, but I'm curious what others do.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: DLALLDER] #7871773 06/16/20 12:24 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Made five deer into sausage and sent one to Hunters for the Hungry. Recently learned about a church on 3009 that processes deer into hamburger to serve the indigent.

There are many individuals here who will ask for and take gutted does. There ae others who want the meat (buck or doe) for tamales.

Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: Creekrunner] #7871793 06/16/20 01:06 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

I've asked around out here and the area food banks don't do that much. I know Hunters for the Hungry and Woodburys in Kerrville is still a donation site, but at $30.00 a pop, if you need to take off 20+ it adds up real quick. Plus Kerrville is still a ways. I have a walk-in cooler, so that reduces the urgency of the process, but I'm trying to figure out how to help some people and not waste meat. I'm talking to a local pastor, and we may be able to get something going, but I'm curious what others do.

The Pitchfork offers doe hunts to youth groups each year......

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 06/16/20 02:37 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: Creekrunner] #7871978 06/16/20 04:39 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Game wardens will come get our deer and donate them to needy families. Our rancher also takes some and donates to folks

You can't fix stupid
Re: MANAGEMENT BUCKS [Re: tlk] #7872001 06/16/20 05:11 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by tlk

Game wardens will come get our deer and donate them to needy families. Our rancher also takes some and donates to folks

^^^I think this is fairly common or would/could be if you just make some phone calls and establish some relationships.
I well remember when the MLD program first started. I was on the Executive Committee of TWA in the late 80s early 90s and we had lots of heated discussions about rather to approve the original MLD program. Besides a potential loss of hunter opportunity, one of the concerns was that landowners would pay "hired guns"/ranch hands to just mow down the needed numbers of deer and just have the meat wasted. I dont think that ever happened much if at all but I remember it being a concern. I feel like the type of person that controls a large enough property to need to kill large numbers would be the same type person to do whats right with the meat.

Last edited by freerange; 06/16/20 05:11 PM.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide