Forums46
Topics538,024
Posts9,732,062
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Why shooting action matches is important [Re: RJH1] #7861169 06/05/20 03:12 PM
D
deerfeeder Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
D
I've shot IDPA matches, PPC matches with semi-autos (we threw together a Customs team and went to a PPC match at Quantico and beat out one of the FBI swat teams If I remember right we came in second. I wanna say Secret Service won 1st, but I won't swear to it. ). I have been shot at from Mexico and returned fire. I have also been shot at in a high speed chase (I don't really count that cuz it wasn't even close to hitting me).

My point was, based on what I have seen, a lot of folks are more worried about the timer than they are the target, Lots of great times for the stage, but some really sucky percentages of hits.

Not disagreeing with the basic ideas/points listed, just saying you need to concentrate on your targets and sights while being a small target yourself.

I guess the bottom line is have fun, but learn from the experiences at the range.

Re: Why shooting action matches is important [Re: deerfeeder] #7861280 06/05/20 04:59 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by deerfeeder
I've shot IDPA matches, PPC matches with semi-autos (we threw together a Customs team and went to a PPC match at Quantico and beat out one of the FBI swat teams If I remember right we came in second. I wanna say Secret Service won 1st, but I won't swear to it. ). I have been shot at from Mexico and returned fire. I have also been shot at in a high speed chase (I don't really count that cuz it wasn't even close to hitting me).

My point was, based on what I have seen, a lot of folks are more worried about the timer than they are the target, Lots of great times for the stage, but some really sucky percentages of hits.

Not disagreeing with the basic ideas/points listed, just saying you need to concentrate on your targets and sights while being a small target yourself.

I guess the bottom line is have fun, but learn from the experiences at the range.

People that win and do well in the sport have to be fast and accurate, just one other won't get it done. Well, you might beat some really crappy shooters if you are only fast or accurate, but then you are going to plateau about C class. So while that part of you post is kinda true, it is also kinda not.

Being a small target is a good thing for sure, but many times people who can't shoot well want to focus only on that instead of improving their shooting skills in conjunction with cover etc. (Not talking about you in particular here, just what tends to get tossed about when "mall ninjas" discount practical shooting matches, once again not talking about you)

I agree 100 percent with your last line, and that is one of the biggest reasons for shooting matches.

Have a good one

Re: Why shooting action matches is important [Re: RJH1] #7861755 06/05/20 11:55 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
#19 (or 21) depending on how you look at it:-)

Bore Offset, or whatever you want to call it. Many times people forget to take into account bore off set, especially with ARs and AKs, but also to a much lesser extent (cause the offset is lesser) dots on pistols. With the ARs and AKs even irons have considerable bore offset. This can lead to misses or hitting unintended targets at close range. A lot of people are aware of bore offset, but they can tend to forget it under pressure

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide