Forums46
Topics538,036
Posts9,732,234
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7854491 05/29/20 11:48 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Thanks a bunch for posting. cheers

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7854542 05/29/20 01:02 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Evening update: some fisherman close by caught a sting ray so we asked them for it, put it out for bait. We have had good success with rays in the past, tho this one was much bigger than the ones we had in the past. First soak we got bit up really good but somehow the shark missed the hook.
I took it out again and got a good hook up, pulled heavy and was peeling drag. Then for whatever reason the hook pulled. I have a feeling I didn’t have the shark hooked through the jaw but maybe in the soft of the mouth or something. Sure wish I could have landed that one, felt much bigger than any of the others we have caught. Hard to say.

Anyway, we have another sting ray for tomorrow and some of the fish I bought. Gonna spend all day on the shark line tomorrow, last day for hunting.

Good luck!

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7854638 05/29/20 02:47 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Morning update, dropped bait and waited, finally got a bite after about an hour and 15 minutes. Got the rod in the harnesss and dropped the drag some to set the hook, it was there and then the line broke...braid must have been weakened from a couple years worth of being in the sand bars?

Anyway, have about 250-300 yards still on the reel. Gonna tie up another leader and try again hopefully a couple more times. Bummer the set up has failed twice in a row now. Last night it wasn’t really a gear failure but still didn’t hold the hook. Today was pure gear failure.

There is always next time.

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7854672 05/29/20 03:15 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Morning update, dropped bait and waited, finally got a bite after about an hour and 15 minutes. Got the rod in the harnesss and dropped the drag some to set the hook, it was there and then the line broke...braid must have been weakened from a couple years worth of being in the sand bars?

Anyway, have about 250-300 yards still on the reel. Gonna tie up another leader and try again hopefully a couple more times. Bummer the set up has failed twice in a row now. Last night it wasn’t really a gear failure but still didn’t hold the hook. Today was pure gear failure.

There is always next time.

Spanish Mackeral can and has cut the line in a July minute..

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7854688 05/29/20 03:28 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

Anyway, we have another sting ray for tomorrow and some of the fish I bought. Gonna spend all day on the shark line tomorrow, last day for hunting.

ok, so school a non fisherman here. Did you mean to put quotation marks on the "hunting' remark to emphasis ive been giving a deer hunter a hard time posting about "fishing", OR is shark fishing REALLY called shark hunting???
banana

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7854742 05/29/20 04:26 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
FR, I put the quotes around the hunting because it really is a fishing story in a hunting forum. However, I consider myself a fisherman and a shark hunter up

Once you get that line screaming and fee the tug of a shark on the end of the line it is almost as good as the feeling of getting a good deer down. Now if I could only be successful in landing a big one....

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7854759 05/29/20 04:41 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
FR, I put the quotes around the hunting because it really is a fishing story in a hunting forum. However, I consider myself a fisherman and a shark hunter up

Once you get that line screaming and fee the tug of a shark on the end of the line it is almost as good as the feeling of getting a good deer down. Now if I could only be successful in landing a big one....

That's the worst! I hate losing a big tug on the line. Then you just sit there wondering what it was...... I hate seeing the guys that fish tuna for a living. They fight it for hours, only to lose it at the boat..... heartbreaking to see them lose a paycheck like that. I'm just glad I fish for fun.

Good luck buckeye.

Last edited by S.A. hunter; 05/29/20 04:42 PM.
Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7854912 05/29/20 07:18 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Another gear failure. Went out and had a tackle shop spin on some mono over the braid I have, and brought it back to the house and had it soaking for a good while. All the sudden the line went loose and all the mono is gone. Not sure if it was another weak spot or if the mono-braid knot came loose or what. For 4 bucks I can’t complain. Just glad I didn’t have a fish on.

One more shot. Gonna tie on straight to the mono tonight and put a ray on, hope we can hook up quick because I am seriously worried if the braid rubs too much on the sand it will break off again.... wish us luck!

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7854952 05/29/20 08:25 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I wish you luck. cheers

[Linked Image]

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7854968 05/29/20 08:36 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Nothin like rearing back into 6-10 feet of pure muscle and aggression!

Good luck this evening, I replace my braid once a year and topshot every 4-6 weekends of use.

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: rickym] #7854982 05/29/20 08:59 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by rickym

Good luck this evening, I replace my braid once a year and topshot every 4-6 weekends of use.

Me thinks I shoulda done did this....honestly I use the rod and reel so infrequently I just didn’t think it would be bad this year, but experience is telling me otherwise. Hope there is one more in the braid tonight. Gonna try to lay up on the second sand bar and see what happens.

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: rickym] #7854985 05/29/20 09:01 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Post pics of your shark rig, I'm curious. The only shark I've ever caught was a small two footer.

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7855019 05/29/20 09:40 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Does salt water affect braid somehow? In freshwater, you can use braid for years (basically until I run low on it, since it has no memory). That’s one of the advantages.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: S.A. hunter] #7855077 05/29/20 10:25 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

Post pics of your shark rig, I'm curious. The only shark I've ever caught was a small two footer.

We caught those very frequently on our trout rods, makes for a good fight. We will have to invite you on a big shark weekend to Galveston, Freeport, or Sargent.

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7855337 05/30/20 03:24 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Good luck...enjoying the reports!

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7855357 05/30/20 03:58 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Does salt water affect braid somehow? In freshwater, you can use braid for years (basically until I run low on it, since it has no memory). That’s one of the advantages.

Saltwater by itself doesn’t do much to the braid, but when surf fishing the braid can rub on the sand bars and it can become weakened over time. When shark fishing you try to go out at least past the second sand bar, so there is a lot of chance for abrasions on the braid.

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7855363 05/30/20 04:03 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Ok final report, no good news. Put out the second sting ray and let it soak for a coupe hours tonight....not a bite. Waves were rough, dumped the kayak on the way out, that was fun. Not sharing that video. But got the bait just pst second sand bar and it just never attracted a shark. Weird, rays have always been money. Maybe they just like the fresher?

Anyway, a good start and a disappointing finish. Had several bites that didn’t get hooked, had one bite that hooked and broke line, another where the hook pulled out, and another where the line just broke. But got three sharks so that is a new record for a week trip.

Overall fun, like a game of golf, you always get that one shot that makes you want to come back and play again.

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7855366 05/30/20 04:18 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Any rioting in downtown Orange Beach?

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7855373 05/30/20 04:27 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Nah, but I haven’t been on that side of the beach so I wouldn’t really know.

There were three people that died here in GS this week, sad deal. We saw the coast guard heli doing a grid search the day they went missing. Sad deal. Current was rough earlier in the week. Surf has been hit or miss the whole week. Still a good week off work. But back to the grind now.

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7855382 05/30/20 04:35 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
If you drove. Stop by buccees in Alabama on the way back and get you some crimson tide memorabilia.

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Roll-Tide] #7855387 05/30/20 04:43 AM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
If you drove. Stop by buccees in Alabama on the way back and get you some crimson tide memorabilia.

Lol

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: S.A. hunter] #7855456 05/30/20 11:41 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

Lol

[Linked Image]

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7855529 05/30/20 01:33 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Ok final report, no good news. Put out the second sting ray and let it soak for a coupe hours tonight....not a bite. Waves were rough, dumped the kayak on the way out, that was fun. Not sharing that video. But got the bait just pst second sand bar and it just never attracted a shark. Weird, rays have always been money. Maybe they just like the fresher?

Anyway, a good start and a disappointing finish. Had several bites that didn’t get hooked, had one bite that hooked and broke line, another where the hook pulled out, and another where the line just broke. But got three sharks so that is a new record for a week trip.

Overall fun, like a game of golf, you always get that one shot that makes you want to come back and play again.

Nothing is absolute, but I have found over the years that fresh bait tends to work better most of the time. Sounds like you had a great week regardless.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Grizz] #7855544 05/30/20 01:57 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
DRIVE SAFE. And what about the wife and girls--no shopping reports? or sightseeing or restaurants?

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Roll-Tide] #7856030 05/31/20 12:22 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

I needed some fire starters so got some Alabama tshirts and banners. They should soak well in kerosene and start a good fire
clap

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide