Forums46
Topics538,020
Posts9,731,894
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7851978 05/26/20 08:51 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Surf is still super rough, tried but within a couple casts just gave up as my bait was in the wash within seconds it seemed.

Went over to the bay for some wade fishing. Had some trout jumping but no bites. Not sure the bait of frozen shrimp was the best offering but it’s all I had today. Not gonna but live stuff when the utility of using it was so low.

Hoping the current and the swells are less tomorrow, it’s supposed to be. Only a couple more days left of shark week

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7851996 05/26/20 09:13 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
That’s a good eating shark you had there, one of my favorite eating species. Excellent steaked out and on the grill, marinated and pan seared, or in a couvillion.

Good luck to you guys!

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7852117 05/26/20 11:19 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Here’s the shark. The rest were just bait for this guy

Wait a sec, pics like that don't count.

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7852120 05/26/20 11:24 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Surf is still super rough, tried but within a couple casts just gave up as my bait was in the wash within seconds it seemed.

Went over to the bay for some wade fishing. Had some trout jumping but no bites. Not sure the bait of frozen shrimp was the best offering but it’s all I had today. Not gonna but live stuff when the utility of using it was so low.

Hoping the current and the swells are less tomorrow, it’s supposed to be. Only a couple more days left of shark week

Green to the beach here.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: bill oxner] #7852263 05/27/20 02:31 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Read the book, much better than the movie anyway. Unbroken, same name as the movie. Great book and fascinating story about a great man and a greater Man. The movie really passes by the more important parts of his life, and his life after the war which really saved his life.

Yep.

"As the bullets raked overhead, Louie struggled to stay under the rafts. The current clutched at him, rotating his body horizontally and dragging him away. He kicked against it, but it was no use. He was being sucked way, and he knew that if he lost touch with the rafts, he wouldn’t be able to swim hard enough against the current to get back. As he was pulled loose, he saw the long cord that strayed off the end of one of the rafts. He grabbed it and tied it around his waist.
As he lay underwater, his legs tugged in front of him by the current, Louie looked down at his feet. His left sock was pulled up on his shin; his right had slipped halfway off. He watched it flap in the current. Then, in the murky blur beyond it, he saw the huge, gaping mouth of a shark emerge out of the darkness and rush straight at his legs.
Louie recoiled, pulling his legs toward his body. The current was too strong for him to get his legs beneath him, but he was able to swim them to the side, away from the shark’s mouth. The shark kept coming, directly at Louie’s head. Louie remembered the advice of the old man in Honolulu: Make a threatening expression, then stiff-arm the shark’s snout. As the shark lunged for his head, Louie bared his teeth, widened his eyes, and rammed his palm into the tip of the shark’s nose. The shark flinched, circled away, then swam back for a second pass. Louie waited until the shark was inches from him, then struck it in the nose again. Again, the shark peeled away.
Above, the bullets had stopped coming. As quickly as he could, Louie pulled himself along the cord until he reached the raft. He grabbed its wall and lifted himself clear of the shark.
Mac and Phil were lying together in the fetal position. They were absolutely still, and bullet holes dappled the raft around them. Louie shook Mac. Mac made a sound. Louie asked if he’d been hit. Mac said no. Louie spoke to Phil. Phil said he was okay.
The bomber circled back for another go. Phil and Mac played dead, and Louie tipped back into the ocean. As bullets knifed the water around him, the shark came at him, and again Louie bumped its snout and repelled it. Then a second shark charged at him. Louie hung there, gyrating in the water and flailing his arms and legs, as the sharks snapped at him and bullets came down. The moment the bomber sped out of firing range, he clambered onto the raft again. Phil and Mac were still unhit..."

Surprising that Angelina Jolie directed Unbroken; not a bad flick...

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: bill oxner] #7852328 05/27/20 04:59 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by bill oxner

Green to the beach here.

Huh?

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7852688 05/27/20 04:17 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
^^^she left out much of the pivotal part of the book, mainly that God saved Louis and his turning back to God saved him again after the war. It was glossed over initially and then almost ignored after the war.

Could have been a Much more powerful movie and followed the book better had they done it the way it actually happened.

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7852691 05/27/20 04:18 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Morning fishing is over, it’s raining now. Hoping things calm down after the rain rolls through.
Have Bull minnows and live shrimp today, hoping to catch some good stuff in the afternoon we can use for bait again. If we catch enough, we can eat some too.
Fished about 1.5 hrs this am without a bite. Not very active out there right now

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7852693 05/27/20 04:23 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Good luck, catch em up.

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: S.A. hunter] #7852715 05/27/20 04:48 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
keep reports coming, even if this is a "hunting" forum. banana

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7852753 05/27/20 05:29 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Morning fishing is over, it’s raining now. Hoping things calm down after the rain rolls through.
Have Bull minnows and live shrimp today, hoping to catch some good stuff in the afternoon we can use for bait again. If we catch enough, we can eat some too.
Fished about 1.5 hrs this am without a bite. Not very active out there right now

Thanks again for posting. I've started several threads on TFF about eating your bait. Love salt water.

[Linked Image]

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7852793 05/27/20 06:04 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hand grenades always work, maybe depth charges since this is ocean fishing.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7852794 05/27/20 06:07 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Crank telephone too.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7852806 05/27/20 06:10 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Back on the water for a quick interlude between rain and storms, got my first speck trout. Bull minnow. Hope I can get more fishing in today. Water is calmest it’s been for the week but the sky is the worst it’s been all week, can’t win for losing.

Anyway, got some food for tonight. Hope for some more and some
Bait fish too

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7853127 05/27/20 11:27 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Back on the water for a quick interlude between rain and storms, got my first speck trout. Bull minnow. Hope I can get more fishing in today. Water is calmest it’s been for the week but the sky is the worst it’s been all week, can’t win for losing.

Anyway, got some food for tonight. Hope for some more and some
Bait fish too

Is a bull minner similar to a croaker?

[Linked Image]

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7853234 05/28/20 01:50 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Bill, I really don’t know what a bull minnow is, but it is different from a croaker that’s for sure. they survive pretty well in the ocean though. Can’t say they catch things well, but I think the problem is lack of fish and not bait or presentation. In years past we had no trouble catching fish, mostly hard heads, but this year we struggle even to catch those.

Evening report, caught one hard head to go with the speck trout from earlier, and that was it for the light tackle. Since we had no other bait, we used the speck for shark bait. Yes I know that’s blasphemy, but remember I am Shark hunting on this trip so the priority is shark fishing and not sustenance.

Dropped the bait, and had to wait a little while tonight, but eventually the reel started screaming. Hooked up and landed a whopper 3’ spinner. For a while I wasn’t even sure anything was on the line. It was a spectacle for the beach though, we had a quick crowd and many kids got to touch a live shark. Overall success, albeit a “spike” type success.

Two more days. I sure hope the fishing gets better

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7853248 05/28/20 02:01 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Look on the bright side, you could be working.

[Linked Image]
Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7853250 05/28/20 02:04 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
up

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7854003 05/28/20 09:48 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Afternoon update...it’s a lot easier and a guarantee to buy shark bait at local fish stores than to try and catch non-existent fish....no really I got a boat load of whole fish for like 21 bucks today, will make for a lot of shark bait.

I know it is more satisfying to catch your own bait, but dang the fishing has been hard this week. Caught a whiting and a lady fish today, and that was it. Not very good work on my end, but the fish just aren’t out there and I don’t know why.

So we dropped some shark bait early today, got a bite but it took the tail right off the bait. So we dropped it again, and this time we landed a decent 4.5-5’ spinner shark. Seems that is all we can find out there, but we will drop more bait this evening and see if we can’t get a different species.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 05/28/20 09:51 PM.
Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7854055 05/28/20 10:54 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
"I know it is more satisfying to catch your own bait"
i dont fish much so i dont know about that, but when i kill a buck the satisfaction is proportionate to the amount of work i put in.
Trying to help you out so they dont kick this thread into TFF. banana Have fun, keep posting and be safe.

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7854061 05/28/20 11:06 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Afternoon update...it’s a lot easier and a guarantee to buy shark bait at local fish stores than to try and catch non-existent fish....no really I got a boat load of whole fish for like 21 bucks today, will make for a lot of shark bait.

I know it is more satisfying to catch your own bait, but dang the fishing has been hard this week. Caught a whiting and a lady fish today, and that was it. Not very good work on my end, but the fish just aren’t out there and I don’t know why.

So we dropped some shark bait early today, got a bite but it took the tail right off the bait. So we dropped it again, and this time we landed a decent 4.5-5’ spinner shark. Seems that is all we can find out there, but we will drop more bait this evening and see if we can’t get a different species.

Tenacity. cheers

[Linked Image]

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7854077 05/28/20 11:21 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Buy the extra large bait, it is easier to clean when you don't catch anything.

[Linked Image]
Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: dogcatcher] #7854100 05/28/20 11:44 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by dogcatcher

You can take it to the bank especially if you throw a cast-net the way I do. Mine always look like a taco.

[Linked Image]

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7854272 05/29/20 02:01 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Evening update: some fisherman close by caught a sting ray so we asked them for it, put it out for bait. We have had good success with rays in the past, tho this one was much bigger than the ones we had in the past. First soak we got bit up really good but somehow the shark missed the hook.
I took it out again and got a good hook up, pulled heavy and was peeling drag. Then for whatever reason the hook pulled. I have a feeling I didn’t have the shark hooked through the jaw but maybe in the soft of the mouth or something. Sure wish I could have landed that one, felt much bigger than any of the others we have caught. Hard to say.

Anyway, we have another sting ray for tomorrow and some of the fish I bought. Gonna spend all day on the shark line tomorrow, last day for hunting.

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: dogcatcher] #7854274 05/29/20 02:03 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by dogcatcher

Good news is we have had bites on every drop so far. Some of the bites have been partial and the one I had where the hook pulled, but we have had action with the shark pole.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide