Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Working From Home [Re: skinnerback] #7844873 05/19/20 10:16 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Working from home......until Friday, just got the call. Being laid off due to Covid travel restrictions and the price of oil. My project pushed back and the following suspended. Adios.

That sucks sorry to hear, could happen to any of us any second.

I been working from home and I suspect I will be (hopefully) for a long time. Before they allowed us to work from home 2 times a week, I normally went in every day because I liked the nice monitors I have at work plus the face time with the bosses, but I got permission to bring home a nice monitor, so I'm liking the work from home now. Even though I went into the office every day, I never dealt with anyone face to face, everyone I dealt with was over the phone/web conferencing, so no change with me really.

I suspect this is going to really change things long term, I mean most of us now working from home never really needed to go into work in the first place, management just didn't trust us to work from home. The future, more working at home, less cost to company (less off space needed), and probably less managers (flatting of organizations), over all lower company cost structure.

Re: Working From Home [Re: fishdfly] #7844880 05/19/20 10:25 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I did it for many years and it turned out to be the opposite. I would login in the morning around 7am and would often not log off until the wife had supper on the table. Lunch was usually no more than 15-20 minutes and most of the time I wouldn't shower until the evening rather than in the morning. I became task oriented and would often get back on the computer in the evening. The wife once asked me why I stay on the laptop so much and I could only tell her "Because I can."

I started telling employees who attended my training sessions many years ago that work isn't a place but what you get done. That has never been more true than it is today.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 05/19/20 10:28 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Working From Home [Re: Guy] #7844884 05/19/20 10:29 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Guy
Working from home......until Friday, just got the call. Being laid off due to Covid travel restrictions and the price of oil. My project pushed back and the following suspended. Adios.

I been working from home and I suspect I will be (hopefully) for a long time. Before they allowed us to work from home 2 times a week, I normally went in every day because I liked the nice monitors I have at work plus the face time with the bosses, but I got permission to bring home a nice monitor, so I'm liking the work from home now. Even though I went into the office every day, I never dealt with anyone face to face, everyone I dealt with was over the phone/web conferencing, so no change with me really.

I suspect this is going to really change things long term, I mean most of us now working from home never really needed to go into work in the first place, management just didn't trust us to work from home. The future, more working at home, less cost to company (less off space needed), and probably less managers (flatting of organizations), over all lower company cost structure.

Pretty much same here. I have underlying conditions and an elderly mother-in-law at the house. I'll be the last to go back to the office. Maybe I'll retire before then.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Working From Home [Re: fishdfly] #7844927 05/19/20 11:05 PM
S
Sailor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I've worked from home, for years...………………….
I sure miss, the ladies at work though...…………………... up

Re: Working From Home [Re: Sailor] #7844933 05/19/20 11:09 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Sailor

Are you posting their pictures on the hump day thread tomorrow? confused2

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Working From Home [Re: fishdfly] #7844939 05/19/20 11:15 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
today makes 9 weeks fully working from home. Sure makes the commute (hour each way) nice, work in shorts/t-shirt, spend most of my days on telecoms and Webex meetings. All of my employees have been too for the same duration. My wife is loving me being home a lot more and in time for dinner each night.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Working From Home [Re: fishdfly] #7845118 05/20/20 01:44 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Yesterday has been 6 weeks...I couldn't do this full time. It would be nice to have the flexibility but 2-3 days a week is more than enough for me. I work for a private company with an owner that is in his 70’s and been in the office his normal 4 days a week since it started. One of the toughest and smartest men I’ve ever been around but he’s old school and wants his employees in the office. We are at 22% that started this past week, next wave is 6/1 and I’m in that group.

They are doing everything they can to protect us. So far that they’ve hired a company to monitor us every morning watching for symptoms and talking temps. No sick people are allowed in the office and they’ve made that very clear.

I’m ready! My wife has the same reasons as PMK’s wife on the working from home. I’ve cooked more dinners and ate more dinners with her over this six weeks than what I bet I do in 6 months.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Working From Home [Re: Guy] #7845125 05/20/20 01:52 AM
lil_red_ryder Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Originally Posted by Guy

I just got to go back yesterday after 6 1/2 weeks working from home. Monitors is definitely what I missed the most!

What happens at deer camp stay's at deer camp!
Re: Working From Home [Re: fishdfly] #7845230 05/20/20 03:39 AM
G
gtrich94 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
I've been working at home for a little over 12 years. Unless it's cold outside and I have to go somewhere, I'm in shorts and a tee shirt every day. My kids will actually comment if they see me in a collard shirt. I only have one suit that still fits and it's my wedding/funeral suit. Other than a few pairs of jeans, I don't think I even have a pair of dress slacks or khaki's that come close to fitting. I know that not being in the office has affected my career path. However, I've been able to watch my kids go from kindergarten to high-school and have been there for all their various activities. No chance I'd be able to do that if I was in an office and commuting an hour to work every day. I'd say one of the biggest drawbacks to WFH is that people think scheduling 7AM or 6PM conference calls is OK because after all, your working from home. So you have to jump on that early and set boundaries with your bosses and co-workers. If you don't, you'll quickly find that the hour you were saving on your commute each day just got added to the beginning and ending of your day.

Oh yeah, don't forget to take a shower every once and a while. When you don't have to go anywhere, you'll forget about the shower thing and before you know it, a week has gone by and you can't remember the last time you took one.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Working From Home [Re: gtrich94] #7845293 05/20/20 08:20 AM
T
TARUGS Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted by gtrich94

Oh yeah, don't forget to take a shower every once and a while. When you don't have to go anywhere, you'll forget about the shower thing and before you know it, a week has gone by and you can't remember the last time you took one.

This has happened to me a couple of times since working from home full time when shelter in place took effect.

Last edited by TARUGS; 05/20/20 08:26 AM.
Re: Working From Home [Re: bill oxner] #7845354 05/20/20 11:55 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Originally Posted by Sailor

Are you posting their pictures on the hump day thread tomorrow? confused2

See that you took the hint. cheers

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Working From Home [Re: fishdfly] #7845374 05/20/20 12:11 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
We're back in the office full-time and honestly it sucks.

For nearly two months I was only coming in on Monday and Wednesday for a couple hours to knock out anything I couldn't do at home and pick up stuff to take home. I commute about 1.5 hours one way - and work four ten hour days when I'm in the office. Sure was nice being able to sleep until 6, put in a full 8 hour day and then still have plenty of time to get stuff done around the house or get on the tractor. I was also about 3x more efficient getting work done because I wasn't being bothered with dumb chit every 5 minutes. I could focus solely on the task at hand.

I'd definitely be fine with giving up 8 hours a week in exchange for sticking with that - but it ain't gonna happen.

Re: Working From Home [Re: fishdfly] #7845535 05/20/20 02:30 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I absolutely love working from home. There are some things I need to go into the office for, some things I need to go into the field for, but I have easily kept up with my work. I wouldn't want to work from home full time, but I would love to be able to do it a day or two a week. Im able to get so much more done at home as far as yard work and upkeep. Ive been home mostly for 7 weeks. The past week I have been coming to the office more than not. Our company is now a partnership. One partner says stay home and get your stuff done. The other says I want everyone at work. When I parked this morning I could see in his office window and he was looking at vacation pictures on his computer and messing on his phone... but by gawd he want everyone here every day bright eyed and bushy tailed.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Working From Home [Re: fishdfly] #7845587 05/20/20 03:34 PM
TKM Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Been working from home for about 9 years, up to me to go into the office when i need to. Sometimes that may be
once a month, sometimes it may be 3 or 4 days a week.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide