Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: DocHorton] #7833819 05/08/20 08:09 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
OK, so diverge from the question a little, how much would it take to get you to retire today?

Honest answer, if someone came knocking and said what is the minimum number that would get you to retire today, what would it be?

Since everyone is in a different spot in life, there would be no wrong answers......but don't just say 100M or something silly like that, because honestly most people would blow through that so fast they would be back to work within a few years broke.

So think about what your minimum number would be and lets hear it...

My ranch is paid off with nothing new to build. I will use my accrued time sell back money to buy a new truck and a few ranch toys like a new lifted golf cart and new 4 wheeler. That will leave me 450K in savings. 85K is my annual retirement with a 2% annual COLA and free healthcare. I think I will not have any financial worries. I got everything paid off just a few years ago and I was really surprised how much I could save, when money wasn't going out the door on payments.

That's a great pension...and free healthcare is worth a pile of money as well. That's easily equivalent to a couple million IRA.

Yep,
It’s all about the healthcare. it’s impossible to know what your health will be in the future

Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7833824 05/08/20 08:15 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Just one point to be made about healthcare, having health insurance is only as good as your ability to use it. Access to care does not guarantee care nor does it guarantee quality care. just ask all those Canadians and Brits and anyone else with “coverage” that can’t get anything done or have a quality doc do anything.

Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7833829 05/08/20 08:28 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
"That's a great pension...and free healthcare is worth a pile of money as well. That's easily equivalent to a couple million IRA."
Dang, DocHorton, are you saying that free health care for a person at retirement age is the same as 2M in an IRA? If my health care is going to cost me 2M, and the interest off of it, over the rest of my life then I need to go back to work. Am I missing something?

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7833833 05/08/20 08:32 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'm not good at math but the DOW was below 5.000 when I retired.

[Linked Image]

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: bill oxner] #7833855 05/08/20 09:02 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by bill oxner

[Linked Image]

How long have you been retired?

Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7833864 05/08/20 09:08 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

[Linked Image]

For 28 years.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: freerange] #7833875 05/08/20 09:19 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by freerange
"That's a great pension...and free healthcare is worth a pile of money as well. That's easily equivalent to a couple million IRA."
Dang, DocHorton, are you saying that free health care for a person at retirement age is the same as 2M in an IRA? If my health care is going to cost me 2M, and the interest off of it, over the rest of my life then I need to go back to work. Am I missing something?

I'm saying that $85k per year for life with a 2% annual COLA plus free healthcare for life is easily equivalent to an IRA worth a couple million dollars.

Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: DocHorton] #7833879 05/08/20 09:22 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

I'm saying that $85k per year for life with a 2% annual COLA plus free healthcare for life is easily equivalent to an IRA worth a couple million dollars.

My bad. Thanks Doc. Poor reading/comprehension skills on my part. I don't have to do the math to know that looking at the whole package its super.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: DocHorton] #7833884 05/08/20 09:25 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

100%, but my post was about taking all considerations into retirement and not being wrong or over/under estimating a number. It’s more then just a number.

Gotcha. Just factoring in the savings aspect...

With my topochico and monster habits it might be a rough go at 300k whistle but your car fetish would be real hard roflmao

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: bill oxner] #7833888 05/08/20 09:28 PM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

[Linked Image]

For 28 years.

That's great stuff there Bill.

At what age did you retire? If you dont mind me asking, and did you ever regret it?

Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7833892 05/08/20 09:31 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

[Linked Image]

For 28 years.

That's great stuff there Bill.

At what age did you retire? If you dont mind me asking, and did you ever regret it?

Bill never minds you asking, some just don't like him telling.

Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7833893 05/08/20 09:32 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Some of you guys are confusing vanity with needs. I promise you that it won't matter when you get old and ugly like me. Some THFers stay after me about posting old pictures of myself. FYI I haven't posted one of myself which was taken later than 8 years ago. Look it up.

[Linked Image]

Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7833908 05/08/20 09:51 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

100%, but my post was about taking all considerations into retirement and not being wrong or over/under estimating a number. It’s more then just a number.

With my topochico and monster habits it might be a rough go at 300k whistle but your car fetish would be real hard roflmao

You should try the bang black cherry. It’s the ish

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: DocHorton] #7833921 05/08/20 10:07 PM
P
Poppa Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P

even if your life only lasts 6 months after retiring? maybe could be worth, but not worth.

Last edited by Poppa; 05/08/20 10:08 PM.
Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: txtrophy85] #7833924 05/08/20 10:11 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Oh, I like it but I drink a lot of monster just out of habitat and taste. Bangs rots my stomach, don’t know if it’s the creatine or what. I can drink 4-5 monsters and be fine. Three bangs and my stomach is done

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7833932 05/08/20 10:24 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Oh, I like it but I drink a lot of monster just out of habitat and taste. Bangs rots my stomach, don’t know if it’s the creatine or what. I can drink 4-5 monsters and be fine. Three bangs and my stomach is done

True on the car part. grin
Damn 4-5 monsters in a day? What's your BP....'bout 185/110 ?? roflmao You may need to retire in the next year or two so you can get a good 10 years before your heart explodes. rofl

Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: Poppa] #7833937 05/08/20 10:30 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Poppa

even if your life only lasts 6 months after retiring? maybe could be worth, but not worth.

Well, I guess in that case, No. Depends on spousal/dependent benefits of pension and healthcare though. Some pensions pay for life of spouse too.

Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7833938 05/08/20 10:31 PM
P
Paluxy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
The wife, and I were talking about what we want to do in retirement. She told me she wants to retire, but still work and manage things....... I, of course told her that that's not "retirement". I, in turn tell her I want 75-100 acres to raise some animals with a pond, and a nice house...... she tells me that that's not "retirement" either. We obviously have different ideas of what retirement is.

What is your idea of retirement?

Living further out with more land sounds good. Need a place on the Llano river too

Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: DocHorton] #7833942 05/08/20 10:36 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

True on the car part. grin
Damn 4-5 monsters in a day? What's your BP....'bout 185/110 ?? roflmao You may need to retire in the next year or two so you can get a good 10 years before your heart explodes. rofl

120/80

I have an extreme caffeine tolerance. Grant it I’m not mortal, I might be the son of Zeus(probably illegitimate) but none the less I’m kind of a big deal roflmao

There is Winhoff and then there is the Clown grin

Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7833984 05/08/20 11:08 PM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Dang Bobo, careful with that stuff.

Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7833993 05/08/20 11:11 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
The money aspect of all of this is very secondary to me. I will make things work regardless of the finances. I just want to be truly free. To be able to do what I want, when I want and not worry about being attached to my phone and email. I also never want to have to decipher what stupid stuff a gangster is stacking or have to watch a rap video ever again rofl

Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7833994 05/08/20 11:11 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
4 or 5 energy drinks per day? Man that's methed up.

grin eek2 bolt

Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7834008 05/08/20 11:24 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My last post on this thread and you can take it to the bank.

Your health is more important than your money.

[Linked Image]

Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: Rustler] #7834195 05/09/20 04:18 AM
G
GOLDSTEIN Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted by Rustler

grin eek2 bolt

roflmao I’ve driven to Colorado with Bobo several times. Pretty sure he drank a dozen Monsters between here and Albuquerque. Dude is immune to them...

Retirement Planning & Asset Management
www.SullivanFinancialPartners.com
Re: What is your idea of retirement? [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #7834201 05/09/20 04:56 AM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by GOLDSTEIN
Originally Posted by Rustler

grin eek2 bolt

roflmao I’ve driven to Colorado with Bobo several times. Pretty sure he drank a dozen Monsters between here and Albuquerque. Dude is immune to them...

I try not to do this, but sometimes when trying to get back home after a long day. I'll pop a monster, sunflower seeds. I swear by that combination. Guaranteed to get you back from as far as 250 miles out.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide