Print Thread
Flashback to my 1st pig #7830120 05/05/20 04:24 PM
D
Douglas Tipton Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
April 2014. She was on a small piece of land well inside city limits. I saw her first as a shoat, still with stripes one winter. Saw her frequently while waiting on the traffic signals at the intersection. She "disappeared" in the summer, and then the following fall I saw her again - she was grown!! Watched her all winter. I finally saw the landowner and asked. He said "yeah she's tearing up my lawn". He gave me the code to his gate, and I let him know when I was coming and when I was leaving. Only 1 or 2 safe shots on this property - it's in city limits surrounded by suburbia. Hunted her for several months, all at dusk or later. She used the horses there for cover - watched her at night grazing with them. One time the horses came up to us along the railing, and she followed. She was literally 20 feet away but always kept the horses between us until she could make her escape into a brushy hill. We'd walk out in the pasture, same thing. Another time, my buddy racked a round as we watched her walking - she bolted. this was after us making all kinds of racket climbing a gate to get into position They know their sounds. Anyway, once we found her in the pasture regularly, and figured out her escape routine, myself and 2 buddies hatched a plan. Tim was a flusher, I was a blocker, and Tom was the catcher. Tim went out into the pasture downwind walking S to N. He used the horses for cover as he moved N upwind. She also used the horses for cover. Horses spooked, she spooked. Chaos. She tried to beeline going E to cover but I was blocking among the corrals. Tim had no safe shot nor did I. She ran towards me - I was on the rail and stuck my foot out through the rail. She stopped about 5 feet from me and ran down the railing to my right. Far right (north) is her escape under the N-S fence, E through another small corral behind a little shed, under the fence, out into an open area, and SE up the hill into the brush and trees. Tom was situated along that fence further E anticipating the diagonal run and having a safe shot with a hill backstop. Anyway, she is up on the rail, with the horses, growling and chomping her jaws. Horses are wound up making all kinds of racket. Finally she runs N, then E through the corral. I yell at Tom shes coming. Long pause, then BOOM! (She had paused before going out up the hill). She's hurt and I come up to her for a second. Done. Crazy Fun! Tom later said he saw her and leveled his weapon and all he saw was black and pulled the trigger. It was a quartering away shot that destroyed a ham and most of her guts.

I had always wondered about how this little piglet had gotten onto this isolated property. 2 years later I'm talking to a neighbor, and we start talking about the same pig. Ends up he an a buddy had trapped one and let it go in a park about 1/2 mile crow flight from this property. Dates, pictures everything matched up. We still talk about it.

Attached Files Inked1st_LI.jpg
Re: Flashback to my 1st pig [Re: Douglas Tipton] #7830677 05/05/20 11:32 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide