Forums46
Topics538,081
Posts9,732,761
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: Texas Dan] #7808358 04/16/20 08:01 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I have noticed a significant decrease in rattlesnakes since the hogs inundated my ranch. I consider it a good trade.

Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: ntxtrapper] #7808395 04/16/20 08:27 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I have noticed a significant decrease in rattlesnakes since the hogs inundated my ranch. I consider it a good trade.

Yes, there are often cases in life where you must pick your poison.

When I first noticed the photo of the king snake killing the copperhead, I had to wonder if there are those who might feel sorry for the poor copperhead. I mean, I've never been one to find remorse after killing a venomous snake or mosquitoes, either of which never had the chance to bite me.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/16/20 08:43 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: Texas Dan] #7808418 04/16/20 08:39 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I am an ardent lover of the out doors.I am sad that so many species have left our earth. However if you can end my enjoyment of the out doors regardless regardless of your motive I will eliminate that risk to ensure my continued enjoyment.

Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: Texas Dan] #7808457 04/16/20 09:13 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
With having kids around when we are in the "woods", poisonous snakes do not get a pass.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: Texas Dan] #7808492 04/16/20 09:45 PM
M
mickeyhft Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Yeah, killing poisonous snakes is where I draw the line on being enlightened or whatever it is. I do and will kill all I see. Same with coyotes and other varmints. Keep 'em knocked back a little.

DFW Roofing Contractor - Priority Roofing
HuntFishThrive.com

We are all in this together!
Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7808921 04/17/20 06:03 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by Huntmaster
Deer don’t bite.

Ohhhhh sooooooo very wrong...…

Bobcat recipe....

Cody's Llama

I had this idea that I was going to rope a deer, put it in
a stall, feed it up on corn for a couple of weeks, then kill it and eat it.

The first step in this adventure was getting a deer. I figured
that, since they congregate at my cattle feeder and do not seem to have much fear
of me when we are there (a bold one will sometimes come right up and sniff at the
bags of feed while I am in the back of the truck not 4 feet away), it should not
be difficult to rope one, get up to it and toss a bag over its head (to calm it
down) then hog tie it and transport it home.

I filled the cattle feeder then hid down at the end with
my rope.

The cattle, having seen the roping thing before, stayed well
back. They were not having any of it.

After about 20 minutes, my deer showed up -- 3 of them. I
picked out.. ..a likely looking one, stepped out from the end of the feeder, and
threw.. My rope. The deer just stood there and stared at me.

I wrapped the rope around my waist and twisted the end so
I would have a good hold. The deer still just stood and stared at me, but you could
tell it was mildly concerned about the whole rope situation.

I took a step towards it...it took a step away. I put a little
tension on the rope and then received an education.

The first thing that I learned is that, while a deer may
just stand there looking at you funny while you rope it, they are spurred to action
when you start pulling on that rope.

That deer EXPLODED.

The second thing I learned is that pound for pound, a deer
is a LOT stronger than a cow or a colt. A cow or a colt in that weight range I could
fight down with a rope and with some dignity.

A deer-- no chance.

That thing ran and bucked and twisted and pulled. There was
no controlling it and certainly no getting close to it. As it jerked me off my feet
and started dragging me across the ground, it occurred to me that having a deer
on a rope was not nearly as good an idea as I had originally imagined.

The only upside is that they do not have as much stamina
as many other animals.

A brief 10 minutes later, it was tired and not nearly as
quick to jerk me off my feet and drag me when I managed to get up. It took me
a few minutes to realize this, since I was mostly blinded by the blood flowing out
of the big gash in my head. At that point, I had lost my taste for corn-fed
venison. I just wanted to get that devil creature off the end of that rope.

I figured if I just let it go with the rope hanging around
its neck, it would likely die slow and painfully somewhere. At the time, there was
no love at all between me and that deer. At that moment, I hated the thing,
and I would venture a guess that the feeling was mutual.

Despite the gash in my head and the several large knots where
I had cleverly arrested the deer's momentum by bracing my head against various large
rocks as it dragged me across the ground, I could still think clearly enough to
recognize that there was a small chance that I shared some tiny amount of responsibility
for the situation we were in, so I didn't want the deer to have to suffer a slow
death, so I managed to get it lined back up in between my truck and the feeder -
a little trap I had set before hand...kind of like a squeeze chute.

I got it to back in there and I started moving up so I could
get my rope back.

Did you know that deer bite? They do! I never in a million
years would have thought that a deer would bite somebody, so I was very surprised
when I reached up there to grab that rope and the deer grabbed hold of my wrist.

Now, when a deer bites you, it is not like being bit by a
horse where they just bite you and then let go. A deer bites you and shakes
its head --almost like a pit bull. They bite HARD and it hurts.

The proper thing to do when a deer bites you is probably
to freeze and draw back slowly. I tried screaming and shaking instead. My method
was ineffective. It seems like the deer was biting and shaking for several minutes,
but it was likely only several seconds.

I, being smarter than a deer (though you may be questioning
that claim by now), tricked it.

While I kept it busy tearing the tendons out of my right
arm, I reached up with my left hand and pulled that rope loose. That was when
I got my final lesson in deer behavior for the day.

Deer will strike at you with their front feet. They rear
right up on their back feet and strike right about head and shoulder level, and
their hooves are surprisingly sharp. I learned a long time ago that, when an animal
-- like a horse --strikes at you with their hooves and you can't get away easily,
the best thing to do is try to make a loud noise and make an aggressive move towards
the animal.
This will usually cause them to back down a bit so you
can escape.

This was not a horse. This was a deer, so obviously, such
trickery would not work. In the course of a millisecond, I devised a different
strategy. I screamed like a woman and tried to turn and run.

The reason I had always been told NOT to try to turn and
run from a horse that paws at you is that there is a good chance that it will
hit you in the back of the head. Deer may not be so different from horses after
all, besides being twice as strong and 3 times as evil, because the second
I turned to run, it hit me right in the back of the head and knocked me down.

Now, when a deer paws at you and knocks you down, it does
not immediately leave. I suspect it does not recognize that the danger
has passed. What they do instead is paw your back and jump up and down on you
while you are laying there crying like a little girl and covering your head.

I finally managed to crawl under the truck and the deer went
away.

So now I know why when people go deer hunting they bring
a rifle with a scope to sort of even the odds.

I am still trying to catch my breath. This is so good, I must steal this and post it in another forum. My sides hurt and I can't breathe, I cried!

Last edited by laid over; 04/17/20 06:03 AM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: Texas Dan] #7808925 04/17/20 06:16 AM
A
Ag Hunter 78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I can pretty much recognize different snakes, so good ones (as in non-poisonous) get a pass. Rattlers, especially those big enough to eat, don't. food

No prayer in school....What's next, no thinking in church?
It's not just about pie in the sky when you die. It's also about steak on your plate while you wait!
Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: Texas Dan] #7809001 04/17/20 12:01 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I used to kill all of the rattlers and copperheads that I saw. Then, I realized that they ate a lot of mice, etc. I quit bothering them. Then the hogs moved in and I rarely ever see a snake now. I'd rather have the snakes.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: Texas Dan] #7809025 04/17/20 12:28 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
headed down in a few. Wifeypoo and I will both be wearing snake boots. Any ratller we come upon will have an "issue".

Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: Texas Dan] #7809094 04/17/20 01:48 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Trashcan Dan never ceases to amaze........

Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: Jgraider] #7809183 04/17/20 03:11 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Jgraider

As does how quickly some of you guys run to my posts.

grin

Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: Texas Dan] #7809263 04/17/20 04:20 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
If we think we need to kill anything with the potential to hurt us, when is opening day on human season? Asking for a friend.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 04/17/20 04:21 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: Texas Dan] #7809287 04/17/20 04:36 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I'm so down for killing rattlesnakes, I have a dedicated gun for it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: ntxtrapper] #7809314 04/17/20 04:49 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
[quote=ntxtrapper]I'm so down for killing rattlesnakes, I have a dedicated gun for it.

I have one of these as well - sometimes though, it might be easier to let the snake slide away than to shoot the Snake Slayer. The darn thing is cool, but not the funnest gun to shoot in the arsenal...

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: Texas Dan] #7809358 04/17/20 05:24 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Yes, there are often cases in life where you must pick your poison.

When I first noticed the photo of the king snake killing the copperhead, I had to wonder if there are those who might feel sorry for the poor copperhead. I mean, I've never been one to find remorse after killing a venomous snake or mosquitoes, either of which never had the chance to bite me.

[Linked Image]

They are beautiful. I would not kill the copperhead, but I don't feel sorry for it. Nor do I hold a grudge against the king snake for that matter. ^5 to whoever captured this image!

Still I would not hold a grudge against anybody that shot a venomous snake either. Like you said, you have to pick your poison sometimes. I take my kids out herping when I can, and we admire them. But in the yard, at home, I would have to kill it. My kids and pets, neighbors kids pets and horses.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to kill them, where I draw the line is are you out there killing every snake you can find or are you just trying to extirpate them from your property or deer lease, etc?

To address the other comment about killing people... man I agree I think humans pose the greatest threat. But at least a snake attempts to let you know, most of the time, hey man i am gonna bite you. Some humans will ambush you and mess up your life if they have anything to gain from it.

If a human invaded my home, I'd probably shoot it. I would not give it the chance to know I am awake and ready, would you hmgive a snake a chance to strike you before you shot it? I think home invaders definitely get it harder than a snake would at home.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: Texas Dan] #7809376 04/17/20 05:37 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by Jgraider

As does how quickly some of you guys run to my posts.

grin

It's like rubbernecking at a bad car wreck.......sometimes you can't help yourself in spite of it all.

Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: Texas Dan] #7809561 04/17/20 08:10 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I caught a nice 28" Coral Snake today and I was trying to grab it's head but it was chewing on my boot and venom was running down and was smeared all over so I figured it was best not to grab it. I knew I would be getting venom on my hands and then rubbing my eyes and picking my nose in the next 5 minutes. He got a head chop and is tanning in a solution now.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #7809639 04/17/20 09:11 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
I caught a nice 28" Coral Snake today and I was trying to grab it's head but it was chewing on my boot and venom was running down and was smeared all over so I figured it was best not to grab it. I knew I would be getting venom on my hands and then rubbing my eyes and picking my nose in the next 5 minutes. He got a head chop and is tanning in a solution now.

I did the exact same thing not long ago here. Nice coral snake, stepped on his tail while I was pulling out my pocket knife. He chewed on my boot and released venom surprisingly quick, and quite a bit of it. I have little ones running around the yard, so he got the head chop too and went to the freezer. My kids spotted another coral less than 10' from my house two days ago, but was gone by the time I got there.

Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #7809650 04/17/20 09:21 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T

Noticed a post on social media where someone who must have lived out West was trying to correct others for repeating the well-known "red touch yellow..." saying that's often heard in these parts for telling the difference between coral and king snakes. The only king snakes that I've ever come across are the black-speckled types, but I'm sure the "red touch black" variety are common as well, despite what someone from California might believe. I checked and there is a snake that lives out West with a similar color pattern but it's confusing to throw it into the mix as being common to our area.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/17/20 09:22 PM.

Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: Texas Dan] #7809668 04/17/20 09:33 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Coral Snakes and Milk Snakes are commonly confused, we have both here along with several different King Snakes.

Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: Texas Dan] #7809730 04/17/20 10:32 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I took a pic. Dang...can't post pic from phone or laptop....strange.

Last edited by RattlesnakeDan; 04/17/20 10:52 PM.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: Texas Dan] #7809926 04/18/20 01:24 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F

Noticed a post on social media where someone who must have lived out West was trying to correct others for repeating the well-known "red touch yellow..." saying that's often heard in these parts for telling the difference between coral and king snakes. The only king snakes that I've ever come across are the black-speckled types, but I'm sure the "red touch black" variety are common as well, despite what someone from California might believe. I checked and there is a snake that lives out West with a similar color pattern but it's confusing to throw it into the mix as being common to our area.

^^^

True, it isn't in Texas....but the fact remains the saying "Red touch Yellow" isn't universally true and not even completely accurate in the U.S. since some States have certain Shovel Nosed Snakes that break that rule.

Example below:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by flintknapper; 04/18/20 01:24 AM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: Texas Dan] #7810405 04/18/20 04:12 PM
G
Graycard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
[Linked Image]

This is what happens when your dog gets hit by a Timber Rattler. Besides the oblivious wounds, all of the dark area on her back is dead flesh. She didn't even notice the snake as she walked by until it struck. They don't always rattle!

I will kill ANY deadly snake, any where, at any time! If I could, I would kill it twice!! "Aussie" survived for another year but the organ damage finally got to her.

Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: Texas Dan] #7810431 04/18/20 04:40 PM
T
tex70 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Wow that pic is hard to look at, poor thing frown

Re: Snakes and killing to end a threat [Re: Texas Dan] #7810621 04/18/20 08:12 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The fact that some people don't kill venomous snakes has nothing to do with trying to "elevate" themselves, and comparing not killing snakes with not killing mosquitoes makes absolutely no sense at all.
As far as snakes, circumstances dictate whether I kill a venomous snake or not - I don't kill all of them. I don't kill any non venomous snakes. If someone else wants to kill every venomous snake they see, more power to them. It's none of my business.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide