Re: Coyote impact on deer [Re: Texas buckeye] #7802187 04/10/20 08:33 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
It’s ok don. You also have seen a lot more net fence than I have too. I guess I just don’t know that much...it’s all good. I am comfortable with that.

cheers Some posts on some threads have talked about the virus etc putting everybody on edge. I think most of our forum members are showing quite a bit of restraint. Now, in the Off Topic section it can get a little hairy but hopefully we can have civil discussions about hunting regardless of any pandemic.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Coyote impact on deer [Re: tlk] #7802194 04/10/20 08:40 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I agree with you, I do sense people are more on edge. I try to remember that and not aggravate intentionally and try to proof my posts lately to make sure they aren’t irritating. No reason to make anyone more irritated than this all has been for us.

Re: Coyote impact on deer [Re: tlk] #7802306 04/10/20 10:32 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Nature also helps to control the population of coyotes, that is why we have up and down cycles in the rabbit population. Hunt them vigorously and shoot them. Mother nature will make sure they do not become extinct.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Coyote impact on deer [Re: tlk] #7802344 04/10/20 11:18 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Humans: we made up the concept of carrying capacity to determine how much a certain species can live in a certain habitat

Mother Nature: step aside child, I been doing that a lot longer and a lot better than you could ever think you could

Re: Coyote impact on deer [Re: tlk] #7802393 04/11/20 12:30 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Lol

Re: Coyote impact on deer [Re: Texas buckeye] #7802621 04/11/20 06:47 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Humans: we made up the concept of carrying capacity to determine how much a certain species can live in a certain habitat

Mother Nature: step aside child, I been doing that a lot longer and a lot better than you could ever think you could

Bingo!!

Re: Coyote impact on deer [Re: Texas buckeye] #7802705 04/11/20 01:10 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Bobo, I can think of a couple situations where predators matter:
1. Situation described exactly as what the post before yours, small HF where animals are captive coyote/bobcat bait
2. Situation where your cover and/or nutrition are low and you want to take more deer per annum than the local population of predators will allow, year round action could allow more fawn recruitment to increase the deer population to where it could be sustainable with the higher annual harvest

I am sure there are probably some other situations that predator control could make a strong play into a management program, but for most of us, it is way down the list of things related to deer management/wildlife management.
We all know a healthy managed place starts with abundant cover (specifically fawning cover and early successional cover), which will allow abundant nutrition, so the deer numbers should be more of a “how many do we need to kill this year” rather than a “how many can we kill this year” type situations. Predator control is down the list of things in wildlife management similar to age culling and something most LF ranches will probably never get to in practical measures. This isn’t to say LF places can’t kill lots of predators, but most on here have to realize if you have predators in those kinds of numbers they are reproducing as quickly and will keep their numbers sustainable and replace the dead ones almost as quickly as you take them.

100%, ranch I hunted in Webb was over run with yotes, as in every hunter pretty much would see one or hear a close one every hunt. Deer population was still growing but in line with harvest. Fawn recruitment was low,

I’ve been on large sheep ranches that where highly effective on yote management,

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Coyote impact on deer [Re: Texas buckeye] #7802714 04/11/20 01:22 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

That’s not yotes, that fire. Hill country is perfect example. Fire suppression has caused CC to go down while populations go up, more deer smaller bodies, then you have a few ranches pushing 160-180lb bucks from investing heavily in CC

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Coyote impact on deer [Re: dogcatcher] #7802718 04/11/20 01:24 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Nature also helps to control the population of coyotes, that is why we have up and down cycles in the rabbit population. Hunt them vigorously and shoot them. Mother nature will make sure they do not become extinct.

Humans prevent or cause extinction in this day in age.

We could cause the extinction of yotes, but we may to cause extinction of a few others species in the process of by-catch, thus why we are limited in means of take.

Re: Coyote impact on deer [Re: doggit] #7802782 04/11/20 03:14 PM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted by doggit
Originally Posted by Hudbone
If you kill off all the coyotes, what happens with the rodent population?

All I got rid of was the coyotes. Still see lots of hawks, owls, coons, rattlesnakes, chicken snakes, bull snakes, skunks, bobcats and feral cats from the neighbors. All of these eat rodents. Would hate to see rat population without these predators.

good point, I've personally seen far more birds catching rodents than I have coyotes doing it.

Re: Coyote impact on deer [Re: Txduckman] #7802786 04/11/20 03:22 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Txduckman

Bingo!!

Most hunters/managers would understand this, but ive never heard it put that way. I like it. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try, just need to think it through.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Coyote impact on deer [Re: tlk] #7803110 04/11/20 09:54 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Freerange, it’s always good to think nature can do a better job at most things than we can. We can adjust or modify things to manipulate nature for some things, but we do a pretty poor job of it most of the time. We need to get out of our way and let nature do its thing. As a biologist, this makes sense to me. Yes I try to manage deer for age and ratios in my neck of the woods, but I can only do so much. The best things I have done is probably some habitat work, hinge cutting and what not, food plots that are multi species, and allowing the pastures to pretty much just grow up into early successional. Let nature do its thing.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide