Page 1 of 2 1 2
Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... #7787040 03/27/20 06:17 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
Thinking about getting one to do fence line clearing, brush removal, cedar/brush clearing, yaupon clearing, etc.

Anyone doing this? What machine to get? How to bid/price work, etc.

Thanks

Jes

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7787048 03/27/20 06:25 PM
E
erathar Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
CAT is still way ahead in the skid steer market. Deere and a few others have got closer in the bigger machines, but still lagging on the skid steers. Be prepared to offer a lower hourly rate in the beginning to build up a customer base. Pick your customers wisely or be prepared to be strung out for 30++++ days with the only real recourse of filing liens or judgements if they dont ever pay. DO NOT ask for money up front.

Me personally, I'm not a fan of mulching. I prefer clearing and burning. You'd be surprised how small you can get a brush pile by tracking over it with a bulldozer.

Good luck.

Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7787103 03/27/20 07:21 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Thinking about getting one to do fence line clearing, brush removal, cedar/brush clearing, yaupon clearing, etc.

Thanks

Jes

I have a buddy that was drilling for HP??? Either way when it crashed about 6 years ago he went and bought a mulcher and skid steer and all that He said he had a hard time keeping it busy because you can do the dozer just as quickly and it cleans up the ground a lot better with the mulching rig you still got the stobs to to deal with. I know there are several people that do it and stay busy but he really had a hard time. The other problem he had was he bought it used from a guy that got a bigger rig and the rig that my buddy bought did not have the hydraulic system to keep up with the mulcher He could run it a couple hours then have to stop for 30 minutes running a couple hours and stop for 30 minutes because he would get too hot. It takes a heck of a machine to do that for 8 hours straight most of the big guys I see that are doing it have put them on tractors with bigger hydraulic systems.

Good luck

Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7787194 03/27/20 09:09 PM
S
Shotgun Willie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Be prepared to act quickly and buy one used. Everybody and their brother's dog was buying a setup around here and trying to make a living at it. Too many companies to choose from, and this turn of the economy, you're sure to find like new low hour machines coming up for sale very soon.

Do a lot of research into the types of cutters and their longevity. There's a lot more money in maintenance and repairs than there is in purchase.

Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7787219 03/27/20 09:32 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Are you looking at a lumber head which leaves no stobs or an attachment that looks like a shredder?

Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7787229 03/27/20 09:45 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
Lumber head....not the shredder attachment.

Figure a skid steer w/bucket, lumber head mulching head, and a dump trailer for starters...

Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7787233 03/27/20 09:47 PM
E
erathar Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E

Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: erathar] #7787315 03/27/20 11:14 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S

Thanks!

That’s what I’ve been looking for....

Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: ducknbass] #7787346 03/27/20 11:37 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by ducknbass

Thanks

Jes

I have a buddy that was drilling for HP??? Either way when it crashed about 6 years ago he went and bought a mulcher and skid steer and all that He said he had a hard time keeping it busy because you can do the dozer just as quickly and it cleans up the ground a lot better with the mulching rig you still got the stobs to to deal with. I know there are several people that do it and stay busy but he really had a hard time. The other problem he had was he bought it used from a guy that got a bigger rig and the rig that my buddy bought did not have the hydraulic system to keep up with the mulcher He could run it a couple hours then have to stop for 30 minutes running a couple hours and stop for 30 minutes because he would get too hot. It takes a heck of a machine to do that for 8 hours straight most of the big guys I see that are doing it have put them on tractors with bigger hydraulic systems.

Good luck

A good friend’s family owns a mulching company they stay pretty slammed but they run the big big big tractors. Mainly powerline and railroad work is what they do.

I don’t see how a little guy can compete with a rig that can do a couple miles a day

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7787389 03/28/20 12:19 AM
E
erathar Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E

Thanks!

The hoses that run to the box on top of the cab are the hydraulic oil coolers. That will prevent your oil from getting hot. I'm not sure I'd go with the cat attachment or a Fecon. Fecon is the predominant brand of mulching machines down here.

Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: erathar] #7787397 03/28/20 12:35 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by erathar

Thanks!

The hoses that run to the box on top of the cab are the hydraulic oil coolers. That will prevent your oil from getting hot. I'm not sure I'd go with the cat attachment or a Fecon. Fecon is the predominant brand of mulching machines down here.

I’ll do some more research...very much appreciated Sir!

Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: erathar] #7787410 03/28/20 12:52 AM
G
GUTIT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G

This is the exact machine I had with a Fecon head. Had steel tracks also. Great machine and did a good job. Had it for two big jobs that almost paid for the cost. Now, just the smaller jobs come in. Hard to keep it working with head on it due to job need. Either need some big jobs, guaranteed contracts, or a hell of a lot of small jobs. I still use machine for dirtwork. With the steel tracks it’s like a baby dozer. CAT service was great for warranty. JMO

Stronghold Construction Group
Commercial and Residential Project Management
Managing all your construction needs
Kent@StrongholdConstructionGroupDOTcom

Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: GUTIT] #7787422 03/28/20 01:01 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by GUTIT

This is the exact machine I had with a Fecon head. Had steel tracks also. Great machine and did a good job. Had it for two big jobs that almost paid for the cost. Now, just the smaller jobs come in. Hard to keep it working with head on it due to job need. Either need some big jobs, guaranteed contracts, or a hell of a lot of small jobs. I still use machine for dirtwork. With the steel tracks it’s like a baby dozer. CAT service was great for warranty. JMO

Thank you...

Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7787443 03/28/20 01:18 AM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by ducknbass

Thanks

Jes

Good luck

A good friend’s family owns a mulching company they stay pretty slammed but they run the big big big tractors. Mainly powerline and railroad work is what they do.

I don’t see how a little guy can compete with a rig that can do a couple miles a day

Yeah getting in doing the utility easements would be a good way to go.

Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7787482 03/28/20 01:49 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
This is one I looked at earlier today... [Linked Image]

Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7787494 03/28/20 01:55 AM
E
erathar Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
That is a nice looking machine.

Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7787531 03/28/20 02:21 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
You want a cat forestry model. I've used that and a bobcat with bobcat head, and the cat is light years ahead of the bobcat. We used a fecon head and a gyro mulcher head. I preferred fecon, seemed to mulch into finer pieces and the teeth were easier to sharpen on the fecon than the gyro. You can't sharpen the teeth on the bobcat head.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: KWood_TSU] #7787543 03/28/20 02:30 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
You want a cat forestry model. I've used that and a bobcat with bobcat head, and the cat is light years ahead of the bobcat. We used a fecon head and a gyro mulcher head. I preferred fecon, seemed to mulch into finer pieces and the teeth were easier to sharpen on the fecon than the gyro. You can't sharpen the teeth on the bobcat head.

Thank you Sir!

Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7787764 03/28/20 12:16 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Those lumber heads are sweet. With one pass through south texas brush most vehicles can drive over it. With two passes, it can be clean as can be. Follow up with some sendero and it will stay clean for a long time.

Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7787813 03/28/20 01:27 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Little guy is different market. I would hire the little guy. The big machine is too costly for me to hire. Tractor trailers are expensive to get down the road. The big machine is rightfully going to have a minimum hour I would have to pay for. My 70 acres is not enough work for the big machine. But a rig like Jes is looking at, I might hire him for two or three days, and come out cheaper than the big machine. Then off Jes goes to the next 10 to 200 acre piece of property, with his one ton truck and gooseneck trailer.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: J.G.] #7787829 03/28/20 01:46 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

Little guy is different market. I would hire the little guy. The big machine is too costly for me to hire. Tractor trailers are expensive to get down the road. The big machine is rightfully going to have a minimum hour I would have to pay for. My 70 acres is not enough work for the big machine. But a rig like Jes is looking at, I might hire him for two or three days, and come out cheaper than the big machine. Then off Jes goes to the next 10 to 200 acre piece of property, with his one ton truck and gooseneck trailer.

I hope he makes a fortune and stays really busy.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7787855 03/28/20 02:18 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
What does a skid steer and grinding head cost the customer per hour in that region?

Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7787899 03/28/20 03:05 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
S

At this point this is all exploratory....by the end of next week that may all change. This is something I've been mulling over in the back of my head. Done a little research but not as much as I should have...

Between the china virus and the Russia/Saudi oil pizzing contest things aren't looking good....layoffs are coming soon and I'm not sure I will make it through....

I am exploring Plan B's...but for a white guy in his mid-50's I figure self-employment is my best bet....

Any and all suggestions/advise are appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7787909 03/28/20 03:15 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

At this point this is all exploratory....by the end of next week that may all change. This is something I've been mulling over in the back of my head. Done a little research but not as much as I should have...

Between the china virus and the Russia/Saudi oil pizzing contest things aren't looking good....layoffs are coming soon and I'm not sure I will make it through....

I am exploring Plan B's...but for a white guy in his mid-50's I figure self-employment is my best bet....

Any and all suggestions/advise are appreciated.

Thanks!

Think a mulcher and a little d3 would keep you pretty busy.

Re: Need info on Skid steer with mulching head... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7788039 03/28/20 05:16 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I did some research on these. To run the larger mulching heads requires hi flow capable machine - so 90ish horsepower. If not, like earlier post, it can’t keep up running for extended times, especiallly when clearing thick, heavy stuff. 90 hp machines are not only more expensive, but also means heavier trailer and truck to pull - so something to consider. In my research - new equipment - mid-$90k, but with new you get warranty, and it is my understanding is that is pretty important. That included 92 hp Kubota, mulcher, HD bucket. Remember also, the machine will need heavy glass/forestry kit for safety.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide