M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by okietex
Landscaping is only insured for certain damages: Fire, vehicle, lightning

Is this dependent on the insurance company? I'm only curious and want to add to my previous post about my large loss claim. It was a natural cause fire. And since it was a fire claim is that what would result in the following being covered? In the 1.5 years I was out of my house there was quite a bit of landscaping that died including four trees. I got a $12k allowance for landscaping. To be clear, the plants and trees did not burn.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Home owners insurance [Re: bill oxner] #7742482 02/10/20 09:53 PM
O
okietex Offline
Tracker
Tracker
O
Almost all Home Owners policies have ALE(additional living expenses) ALE does not pay your mortgage, but does pay additional cost. You would pay your normal bills, anything over and reasonable would fall under this category. ALMOST all have this. Its good to ask, if you don't have this ASK ALOT MORE QUESTIONS ON EVERYTHING ELSE.

Re: Home owners insurance [Re: bill oxner] #7742484 02/10/20 09:55 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Mine has this. A little over $60,000. Here again. I would not rebuild.

[Linked Image]

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Home owners insurance [Re: okietex] #7742490 02/10/20 09:57 PM
M
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by okietex
ALMOST all have this. ...ask...

Right, so that's my point. Sure would hate to find out the hard way.

Re: Home owners insurance [Re: bill oxner] #7742495 02/10/20 10:05 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Doing this every day, I too often encounter otherwise good, logical people who seem to think they can shortcut something here or there and save a few dollars. Seldom is it worth the risk. Too much is at stake. Too many believe they can pay a VW price for their coverage, are pretty sure nothing serious will ever happen and when it does want to assume their policy will pay off like a Cadillac. It does not work that way.

Most have or need to rebuild their home. I often see elders with a home that is unsuited for their current lifestyle (usually too large or two stories) and have no need to rebuild or would prefer to build back something different. I get that, but you have to insure what you have and not what you would rebuild or be satisfied with the value of what you wouldn't rebuild.

Re: Home owners insurance [Re: bill oxner] #7742496 02/10/20 10:06 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by bill oxner

[Linked Image]

Is that policy for the house in city limits Rosenberg or for the one in the country in Katy Fulshear

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Home owners insurance [Re: bill oxner] #7742498 02/10/20 10:09 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Country. Fort Bend county. Closest fire station 3 miles. It was 12 miles when I first moved here.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Home owners insurance [Re: bill oxner] #7742502 02/10/20 10:15 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Country. Fort Bend county. Closest fire station 3 miles. It was 12 miles when I first moved here.

Not for nothing Bill, but you don't live anywhere near Katy or Fulshear and you know it.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Home owners insurance [Re: Mickey Moose] #7742521 02/10/20 10:36 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
I'll share my insurance experience.

My mortgaged house was struck by lightening. Big fire. Large loss claim. Belongings not destroyed were taken away to be "restored" and stored until I moved back in to my house. So, I stayed in a hotel for a month before moving in to a rental. Almost (about?) six months went by and nothing was being done to my house... because insurance filed suit against the manufacturer of the radiant barrier. Nothing could be done - had to wait for fire investigators, from both parties, to do their thing and people to come and "evaluate" the scene. About 1.5 years after the fire I got to move again.

Insurance doesn't pay mortgages. And not all policies include a rental. Point is, depending on your coverage you need to be prepared for a lot of bills. Also, are you ready to buy/rent more furniture for the time you're in the rental? If you don't have the rental coverage I bet you insurance is not covering the furniture (other than in terms of contents replacement but I assure you this is not the time to be furniture shopping if you even have the money to do it, furniture won't be on your mind until you go to sit down and land on the floor). Not all families could swing paying both the mortgage and rent and buying/renting furniture, etc. And then when construction starts and utilities are turned back on you'll pay, not insurance, even though you don't live there. You can ask your utilities for waivers but they don't have to give them.

Then there's contents. Not all policies include full replacement; those that don't use depreciation. Oh, and Oxner, it's good that you have pictures but, at least in my case, they aren't necessary. They are more a benefit to you. And, as Hudbone explained, you aren't simply cut a check for the what your contents are insured for. Item X was destroyed and you want the money for it? Itemize it on your loss sheet and show a receipt that you purchased the replacement otherwise you get nothing for it. Anyway, once your contents are restored they may need/you may want them to be stored. I opted for storage.

I was very fortunate to have appropriate coverage. I didn't have to pay for the hotel, the rental house and furniture, contents restoration and storage. I also got waivers for utilities. And not that it matters in this thread but I also got money from the law suit. My insurance was very easy to work with in regards to contents replacement. Having been through this I believe one can never come out the other side 100% whole but I feel I got about as close as one can get. And, the biggest takeaway: add up all of the premiums I have paid since the fire and what I will pay in the future for as long as I'm in a home with insurance and that's a small price to pay if you have just a single claim like I did. It's not worth skimping.

Why not just take the settlement, sell the house, and move on?

Re: Home owners insurance [Re: bill oxner] #7742523 02/10/20 10:37 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You don't live in the country. Neither do I.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Home owners insurance [Re: bill oxner] #7742528 02/10/20 10:39 PM
P
pnh Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
You don't live in the country unless you have to own your own tomcat!

Character is what you do when nobody's looking.
Re: Home owners insurance [Re: DocHorton] #7742531 02/10/20 10:42 PM
M
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Why not just take the settlement, sell the house, and move on?

Long story short I did not sue the manufacturer the insurance company did. The insurance company shared some of the settlement with me (which was absolutely amazing considering they were in no way obligated). Regardless, I need to live where I do and the housing options are limited.

Clarification:
I knew nothing about the suit until the end which is when I was told I would be getting money for it. I'm not sure how common this is. I have a friend who is an executive for the insurance company. Not sure if he pulled some strings or if I got lucky.

Last edited by Mickey Moose; 02/10/20 10:47 PM.

Re: Home owners insurance [Re: bill oxner] #7742538 02/10/20 10:46 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Bill, I understand Katy sounds cute, since your daughter is named Cathy.
Don’t be ashamed to live in Rosenberg. The city moved to you, nothing you can do about it.
You no longer live in the country, deal with it.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Re: Home owners insurance [Re: bill oxner] #7742550 02/10/20 10:58 PM
M
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Signs you may not live in the country:

1) HOA

Your turn.

Re: Home owners insurance [Re: Mickey Moose] #7742560 02/10/20 11:11 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I'll share my insurance experience.

My mortgaged house was struck by lightening. Big fire. Large loss claim. Belongings not destroyed were taken away to be "restored" and stored until I moved back in to my house. So, I stayed in a hotel for a month before moving in to a rental. Almost (about?) six months went by and nothing was being done to my house... because insurance filed suit against the manufacturer of the radiant barrier. Nothing could be done - had to wait for fire investigators, from both parties, to do their thing and people to come and "evaluate" the scene. About 1.5 years after the fire I got to move again.

Insurance doesn't pay mortgages. And not all policies include a rental. Point is, depending on your coverage you need to be prepared for a lot of bills. Also, are you ready to buy/rent more furniture for the time you're in the rental? If you don't have the rental coverage I bet you insurance is not covering the furniture (other than in terms of contents replacement but I assure you this is not the time to be furniture shopping if you even have the money to do it, furniture won't be on your mind until you go to sit down and land on the floor). Not all families could swing paying both the mortgage and rent and buying/renting furniture, etc. And then when construction starts and utilities are turned back on you'll pay, not insurance, even though you don't live there. You can ask your utilities for waivers but they don't have to give them.

Then there's contents. Not all policies include full replacement; those that don't use depreciation. Oh, and Oxner, it's good that you have pictures but, at least in my case, they aren't necessary. They are more a benefit to you. And, as Hudbone explained, you aren't simply cut a check for the what your contents are insured for. Item X was destroyed and you want the money for it? Itemize it on your loss sheet and show a receipt that you purchased the replacement otherwise you get nothing for it. Anyway, once your contents are restored they may need/you may want them to be stored. I opted for storage.

I was very fortunate to have appropriate coverage. I didn't have to pay for the hotel, the rental house and furniture, contents restoration and storage. I also got waivers for utilities. And not that it matters in this thread but I also got money from the law suit. My insurance was very easy to work with in regards to contents replacement. Having been through this I believe one can never come out the other side 100% whole but I feel I got about as close as one can get. And, the biggest takeaway: add up all of the premiums I have paid since the fire and what I will pay in the future for as long as I'm in a home with insurance and that's a small price to pay if you have just a single claim like I did. It's not worth skimping.

A friend of mine went through a similar situation and lost almost lost his home. His home was struck by lightning, it was a complete loss. He is also a Dallas officer, and when this occurred was when we took our pay cut and no OT for 3 years. For him, and many others, extra jobs were king. He was moved into a rental, and hammered the extra jobs hard to get his family what they needed. About 2 months into paying his mortgage and new rent, he sold his 2 vehicles and bought a cash car,1 car for 5 people. Shortly after that he was involved in a shooting while working an extra job. No he is on administrative leave with pay, but can’t work those extra jobs. He was injured during the shooting and required a few follow up doctor visits. His extra job employer fired him over the incident, even though the department and grand jury cleared him, and he sustained a few severe cuts from the bad guy. It was the perfect storm to brake a hard working man. I learned a lot from him while he went through that, as did he, and one of those was to read read read what your policy is.

Re: Home owners insurance [Re: Mickey Moose] #7742562 02/10/20 11:13 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J

1) HOA

Your turn.

2) You have a wooden or wrought iron fence in your backyard.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Home owners insurance [Re: Judd] #7742568 02/10/20 11:17 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Judd

1) HOA

Your turn.

3) You're worried about (or you should be) a 'gator eating your neighbor's kids close to your "dock".

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Home owners insurance [Re: Mickey Moose] #7742573 02/10/20 11:28 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B

1) HOA

Your turn.

Teeth

Re: Home owners insurance [Re: Mickey Moose] #7742580 02/10/20 11:39 PM
N
Nathan at Fork Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N

1) HOA

Your turn.

2) you have a homeowners insurance policy and not a Farm and Ranch policy

[Linked Image]
Re: Home owners insurance [Re: Nathan at Fork] #7742582 02/10/20 11:43 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Nathan at Fork

1) HOA

Your turn.

2) you have a homeowners insurance policy and not a Farm and Ranch policy

up rofl

Re: Home owners insurance [Re: Brother in-law] #7742588 02/10/20 11:48 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Brother in-law

1) HOA

Your turn.

Teeth

roflmao

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Home owners insurance [Re: bill oxner] #7742590 02/10/20 11:49 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Most of you don't even list your location. I first listed Richmond because I got my mail from the Richmond post office.
I changed my profile to Katy- Fulshear after they built the Katy- Fulshear Walmart 3 miles from me. The center is called KFC. I first thought we were herring a new Kentucky Fried Chicken Joint.

How does my location help the lurkers who have chimed in on this thread?. confused2

Sounds like whiskey talking back

[Linked Image]

Re: Home owners insurance [Re: bill oxner] #7742604 02/11/20 12:05 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You don't live in the country.

Dead end (South end) of Windwood Estates East, Bexar county. Just south and west of the Flagstop

Bring it.

Re: Home owners insurance [Re: bill oxner] #7742609 02/11/20 12:09 AM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity

Creekrunner
From Bexar/Kimble/'whit of Menard

Please explain whit of Menard? confused2

[Linked Image]

Re: Home owners insurance [Re: Creekrunner] #7742613 02/11/20 12:13 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by Judd

1) HOA

Your turn.

3) You're worried about (or you should be) a 'gator eating your neighbor's kids close to your "dock".

4) you’ re walking distance from Aldi and Walmart but the cops wont let you drive your gator to it

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide