P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by procraft05
Originally Posted by aggiehunter03
[Linked Image]
I ran one of these through two full charges Saturday. Amazing.

How much do those run?

$300
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-80-...ctric-Chainsaw-Battery-Included/50408238

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: First chainsaw purchase [Re: rickym] #7740652 02/08/20 05:36 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
I have an echo with a 16 in bar. No complaints, it has run like a champ. I’ve used it to cut shooting lanes through mesquite and it was up to the task.

Re: First chainsaw purchase [Re: pegasaurus] #7740660 02/08/20 06:43 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by pegasaurus
Originally Posted by procraft05
[Linked Image]

How much do those run?

$300
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-80-...ctric-Chainsaw-Battery-Included/50408238

Ouch!? The stihl 180c only ran me $260 if i am correct.

Re: First chainsaw purchase [Re: rickym] #7740665 02/08/20 08:12 AM
B
Blue Moon Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Personally while I have Stihl saws for the OP's limited use it shouldn't matter. Regarding gas vs battery, I wouldn't suggest a battery powered chainsaw if it was my only saw for two reasons. The main reason is I seem to need to use my chainsaws just about every time the power goes out after big storms roll through. When the power is out, trees are usually down and roads need to be cleared.

Also, the more battery tools I have, the more I want them to all run on the same type of battery. At least for me, especially when it comes to traveling between properties, it becomes a hassle to properly manage multiple brands or types of batteries.

Eventually with a gas saw, you'll have to replace the fuel lines, gaskets or even the carb. The good news is at least on my Stihl saws, it's a pretty simple, quick, and inexpensive DIY project. If you need to go to the dealer for repairs that would be a different story...

Last time I looked at the Stihl dealer it ranged between $80 to $150 for replacement batteries. Sure you'd save on gas, oil and fuel parts if you used it a lot but for the limited use the OP describes using it I suspect he'd replace the battery in a few years and during that time he'd likely only have run very little fuel through it. Based on his scenario he'd likely use less than a gallon for each 3 hours of use, so only 5 or 6 gallons of fuel a year.

On the other hand if you don't need it for emergencies a battery chainsaw runs cleaner and quieter without the hassle of non-ethanol premix.

Be safe,

Blue Moon

Re: First chainsaw purchase [Re: aggiehunter03] #7740683 02/08/20 12:43 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
[Linked Image]

I was just looking at that one. How long have you had yours?

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: First chainsaw purchase [Re: Blue Moon] #7740864 02/08/20 07:28 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by Blue Moon
Personally while I have Stihl saws for the OP's limited use it shouldn't matter. Regarding gas vs battery, I wouldn't suggest a battery powered chainsaw if it was my only saw for two reasons. The main reason is I seem to need to use my chainsaws just about every time the power goes out after big storms roll through. When the power is out, trees are usually down and roads need to be cleared.

Also, the more battery tools I have, the more I want them to all run on the same type of battery. At least for me, especially when it comes to traveling between properties, it becomes a hassle to properly manage multiple brands or types of batteries.

Eventually with a gas saw, you'll have to replace the fuel lines, gaskets or even the carb. The good news is at least on my Stihl saws, it's a pretty simple, quick, and inexpensive DIY project. If you need to go to the dealer for repairs that would be a different story...

Last time I looked at the Stihl dealer it ranged between $80 to $150 for replacement batteries. Sure you'd save on gas, oil and fuel parts if you used it a lot but for the limited use the OP describes using it I suspect he'd replace the battery in a few years and during that time he'd likely only have run very little fuel through it. Based on his scenario he'd likely use less than a gallon for each 3 hours of use, so only 5 or 6 gallons of fuel a year.

On the other hand if you don't need it for emergencies a battery chainsaw runs cleaner and quieter without the hassle of non-ethanol premix.

Be safe,

Blue Moon

I understand what you’re saying about the emergencies, but gas saws that sit get hard to start really quick. I saw multiple guys on one Lewisville block outside struggling to get theirs running after the twisters 10-12 years ago. By contrast, I Used my Echo saw in September and had the backup battery fully charged. In December, I pulled the saw out, put the spare in it, and it was still fully charged and ran like a top for the hour I needed it. If you need more and can do more than 3-4 hours of straight sawing, then cut a lane to get your truck out and go rent a bigarse saw from Home Depot for that emergency. I have gas Echo equipment as well but if you aren’t running gas equipment at least monthly, I’d avoid it like the plague.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: First chainsaw purchase [Re: Blue Moon] #7740868 02/08/20 07:34 PM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Blue Moon

Be safe,

Blue Moon
I agree sir

[Linked Image]
Re: First chainsaw purchase [Re: rickym] #7740880 02/08/20 07:55 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
I don’t agree, in fact a strongly disagree.

Most of the members on here are home and or land owners another large portion have land they lease, rent or own outright.

Using this logic tells me there is a need for many cordless tools from a drill to and impact.

Personally I chose a Milwaukee cordless chain saw to go with my other assortment of cordless tools.

You could buy several other brands of cordless chainsaws and have many other tools to go with them.

I would need to count the number of Milwaukee batteries in my collection but it has to be more than a dozen now.

Instead of have many different brands of cordless tools or a big set of a cheaper brand.....

You’d be surprised how much money can be saved by looking for second hand tools and watching for sales on the batteries.

Enough that most of my Milwaukee tools were less than brand new Rhyobi.

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: First chainsaw purchase [Re: rickym] #7740890 02/08/20 08:11 PM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
for light duty anything I go cordless
normal to heavy duty I go corded or GAS.

[Linked Image]
Re: First chainsaw purchase [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #7740907 02/08/20 08:52 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
[Linked Image]

I was just looking at that one. How long have you had yours?

Txhntr and his Dad bought one of those last spring. There are probably 6 of us that used it in some capacity at the deer lease last season. Everyone that’s picked it up has commented about how much it’s surprised them. It’s impressive to the point I never would’ve considered a battery chain saw but to Quit Shooting YB’s point it is exactly what I am going to buy now.

I’m not far from needing another drill so I’ll probably align my saw to my drill choice to utilize the same batteries.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: First chainsaw purchase [Re: rickym] #7741273 02/09/20 03:27 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
My first saw, MANY years ago was a Stihl. It was great. I wore it and several others out in the last 40 or so years. Then I bought a new one with the snap caps for oil and gas. They didn’t work. I was told to send it back for repair. I did and the repair people told me that it was my fault for over filling them. I said BS and bought an Echo. I talked to the repair guy at a local hardware store who told me that Stihl saws had been having that problem for several years.

The bottom line is that I will never buy another Stihl. They had a problem and wouldn’t back the product. Damn shame.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: First chainsaw purchase [Re: rickym] #7741293 02/09/20 03:46 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My newish MS250 Stihl has those weird oil and gas caps. They frustrated me at first, but I figured them out and I’m Ok with them now.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: First chainsaw purchase [Re: rickym] #7741294 02/09/20 03:46 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Now you guys have me considering a battery chainsaw! Never would have considered it in the past, but they look great for small day to day projects.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: First chainsaw purchase [Re: rickym] #7742091 02/10/20 03:21 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I've got a gas Stihl that I absolutely love and it's very easy to start. I needed a new pole saw, and went with Ryobi battery powered. It is so simple to merely grab the battery off the charger, dump bar oil and get after it. I was really amazed at the power. I did find out that one battery charge also consumes all the bar oil, as I was going to put the bigger battery out of the blower on it to run longer, but once I found the smaller battery run time that oil is needed, so I just made a mental note to run the smaller battery. If I were buying another full size saw, I would have to look hard at a battery powered one.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: First chainsaw purchase [Re: rickym] #7742778 02/11/20 04:01 AM
T
TDK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Go electric unless you ACTUALLY need a real chainsaw. Sounds like for your uses electric is fine and probably much more convenient.

If you go gas and aren’t the mechanical type get the brand the best dealer in town offers; be it Husky, Stihl, or Echo.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: First chainsaw purchase [Re: rickym] #7742785 02/11/20 04:19 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
another thing to consider , imo battery needs to get USED. I bought my gas chainsaw 10-15 years ago. Let is sit for many years, years later it cranked up with no issues. I dont know if electronics will last that long. In 20 years there will be more batt chainsaws filling the land fills than gas chainsaws. The batts are not sustainable.

Last edited by Tin Head; 02/11/20 04:19 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: First chainsaw purchase [Re: rickym] #7742926 02/11/20 02:50 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Actually TH, you’re a little behind the times. Now we have lithium batteries that deliver higher power with extreme shelf life. They won’t discharge in storage and last decades.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: First chainsaw purchase [Re: Cast] #7743015 02/11/20 04:48 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Originally Posted by Cast
Actually TH, you’re a little behind the times. Now we have lithium batteries that deliver higher power with extreme shelf life. They won’t discharge in storage and last decades.

There is a downside Cast.

Places like batteries plus will not rebuild lithium.

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: First chainsaw purchase [Re: rickym] #7743020 02/11/20 05:00 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Well, you know I buy Ridgid. Their batteries are lifetime guaranteed.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: First chainsaw purchase [Re: rickym] #7743048 02/11/20 05:24 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
After buying an electric saw, the only time I pull out the Echo is when I need to cut something that's greater than 6-8 inches in diameter. And if I had known this new generation of electric saws performed so well, I would have gone with a bigger electric saw when I bought my current one just to trim trees.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide