Forums46
Topics538,088
Posts9,732,833
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: Gravytrain] #7738406 02/05/20 06:06 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Gravytrain
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
If you willingly give your dna to someone its all on you. you've been warned,.

Not willingly giving DNA to the government... this is the problem.

Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: Brother in-law] #7738409 02/05/20 06:07 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Brother in-law
He lives in a pretend world

Cartoons are the pretend world. You once complained that I was posting excerpts of book without pictures. I think it was just after I posted an excerpt from a book called Unbroken. Look that one up and get back to me about pretending.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: Texas Dan] #7738410 02/05/20 06:11 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
I was given one of the DNA kits for Ancestry.com, I think it was. I decided to do what my friends and family did not do before they submitted their samples. I read ALL the fine print. There is some availability to opt out of some of their databases, or to keep "some" of your personal data "private", but there is still exposure even if you check all the opt out boxes. It can go to other "third parties", which was not defined. Is that law enforcement (no issues with that), or other companies (why do THEY want my DNA sequence?). I got nothing to hide, but I didn't like the idea of a company having my DNA records, that they can share, for a few reasons. Not sure what their fine oprint says not - this was a couple years back. Just felt a tad invasive and I didn't like the language of the contracts' fine print. I decided not to do the samples.

I know they have caught criminals from the databases of these companies before, and read about a serial rapist that they nailed not too long ago based on a DNA sequence of one of his relatives.. That was a darn good ending! The guy thought he was free and clear and no evidence would ever bring him down...until it thankfully did!

It gets tricky, though. We don't really have "privacy" in the digital age, anymore. I'd love for every serious crime to be solved, and have justice brought to the forefront. In regards to the DNA stuff, lots of lines get blurred. I can see how people are on both sides of the fence on that one.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: Texas Dan] #7738413 02/05/20 06:15 PM
R
RayB Offline
red bone Bob
red bone Bob
R
That's how they caught the Golden State Killer. I betting the Supremes say that in an public data base like the Ancestry that like a cup you discard on the street LEOs have a right to it

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: RayB] #7738417 02/05/20 06:22 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by RayB
That's how they caught the Golden State Killer. I betting the Supremes say that in an public data base like the Ancestry that like a cup you discard on the street LEOs have a right to it

Are you tell in us that its not really a pretend world? confused2

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: bill oxner] #7738431 02/05/20 06:32 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Been robbing banks since 2000 and always left a few hairs from someone else behind.....or maybe some chewing gum............I hear there was another bank robbery in Denison a couple of days ago. Some people got a lot of nerve to drive the same vehicle to 2 different stickups.

Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: Texas Dan] #7738495 02/05/20 07:32 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
It's too late to close the door.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...den-state-killer-can-home-about-60-white

We will find you: DNA search used to nab Golden State Killer can home in on about 60% of white Americans

The study was sparked by the April arrest of the alleged “Golden State Killer,” a California man accused of a series of decades-old rapes and murders. To find him—and more than a dozen other criminal suspects since then—law enforcement agencies first test a crime scene DNA sample, which could be old blood, hair, or semen, for hundreds of thousands of DNA markers—signposts along the genome that vary among people, but whose identity in many cases are shared with blood relatives. They then upload the DNA data to GEDmatch, a free online database where anyone can share their data from consumer DNA testing companies such as 23andMe and Ancestry.com to search for relatives who have submitted their DNA. Searching GEDMatch’s nearly 1 million profiles revealed several relatives who were the equivalent to third cousins to the crime scene DNA linked to the Golden State Killer. Other information such as genealogical records, approximate age, and crime locations then allowed the sleuths to home in on a single person.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: Texas Dan] #7738528 02/05/20 08:23 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Just a matter of time.

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: dogcatcher] #7738766 02/06/20 12:34 AM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
It's too late to close the door.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...den-state-killer-can-home-about-60-white

We will find you: DNA search used to nab Golden State Killer can home in on about 60% of white Americans

The study was sparked by the April arrest of the alleged “Golden State Killer,” a California man accused of a series of decades-old rapes and murders. To find him—and more than a dozen other criminal suspects since then—law enforcement agencies first test a crime scene DNA sample, which could be old blood, hair, or semen, for hundreds of thousands of DNA markers—signposts along the genome that vary among people, but whose identity in many cases are shared with blood relatives. They then upload the DNA data to GEDmatch, a free online database where anyone can share their data from consumer DNA testing companies such as 23andMe and Ancestry.com to search for relatives who have submitted their DNA. Searching GEDMatch’s nearly 1 million profiles revealed several relatives who were the equivalent to third cousins to the crime scene DNA linked to the Golden State Killer. Other information such as genealogical records, approximate age, and crime locations then allowed the sleuths to home in on a single person.

Anyone who has not read about how this went - should read it. The gal who did the leg work is a real pro in the subject of DNA matching and found a close match to the killer's DNA. Her experience told her that she had found the killer's brother, so basic police work closed the loop on the fact that the good guy had a brother- so they backtracked his whereabouts to when the murders occurred.

It is indeed too late to close the door. The killer had never submitted his DNA anywhere and he was not on anyone's radar. DNA from a relative who was not involved - dramatically narrowed the search toward the killer.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: Texas Dan] #7738783 02/06/20 12:53 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
heck folks are worried about being located , they are probably using it to clone also. roflmao I have also heard the quest for your dna is to get your frequency. Once your frequency is had you can be tuned into.

Last edited by Tin Head; 02/06/20 12:53 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: Texas Dan] #7738789 02/06/20 12:57 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

But, but, but,what about the presumption of innocence? Michael Brown was shot down in cold blood as he was running away hollering hands up, don't shoot.

[Linked Image]

Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: bill oxner] #7738797 02/06/20 01:02 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by bill oxner

But, but, but,what about the presumption of innocence? Michael Brown was shot down in cold blood as he was running away hollering hands up, don't shoot.

roflmao

[Linked Image]
Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: RayB] #7738798 02/06/20 01:03 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by RayB

It doesn’t work like that. Ancestry’s DNA database is not public.

But if you load your results on a public database and make it available for all to see then it’s public.

To be determined
Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7738822 02/06/20 01:34 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
Originally Posted by cbump
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
Detectives need to do their jobs! Instead of fishing for leads.

I’m not taking a side either way but how is this them not doing their job? They have dna evidence and are trying to match It to someone therefore they tried to get access to a large dna database.
Sounds to me like doing their job is exactly what they’re doing by trying to use every resource possibly available.

Is that a serious question?

I'll echo what cbump said and yes, it's a serious question. Using all available resources and thinking outside the box to catch criminals is the very definition of doing their jobs. This area is somewhat uncharted so it's going to take some case law to establish parameters and acceptable protocol.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: Texas Dan] #7738849 02/06/20 02:07 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I have no concern if Parabon, at law enforcement's request, enters a suspect's autosomal DNA into GEDmatch, because I'm not a murderer or a rapist.

Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: Lakhota] #7738858 02/06/20 02:12 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Lakhota
If you are going to a private source for DNA what is your probable cause that the DNA you are looking for is in the private sources databanks? If your probable cause is you have gone through all public/government DNA databanks without a hit and this is just more databanks to search for a hit then you are fishing and have no PROBABLE CAUSE. The 4th amendment is a protection against this. I am not saying that they are not doing their job by by trying to use these other databanks but I want Probable Cause not fishing. We have seen with what has been going on with the FBI that the courts have been abused and we know it has happened at the local levels as well.

Before it is said that I am anti law enforcement I am not! I have no problems with companies using the courts to protect our freedoms from over reach. The Patriot Act is a great example of a over reach and are we really safer because of it?

Agree. More importantly even if they do go after a private source with a valid warrant, there should be safeguards to ensure they cannot access the rest of the database that isn’t covered by the warrant.

Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: ntxtrapper] #7738912 02/06/20 03:22 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I have no concern if Parabon, at law enforcement's request, enters a suspect's autosomal DNA into GEDmatch, because I'm not a murderer or a rapist.

Yes sir! Nothing to hide!

You go ahead and trust your government. After all, they’re here to serve you.

I’d rather not.

Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: Sneaky] #7738923 02/06/20 03:34 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Sneaky

I’d rather not.

up

[Linked Image]
Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: Sneaky] #7738930 02/06/20 03:43 AM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

I’d rather not.

I am the government, at least for a few more months. I'm guessing you never have been.

Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: ntxtrapper] #7738944 02/06/20 04:23 AM
L
Lakhota Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
L

I’d rather not.

I am the government, at least for a few more months. I'm guessing you never have been.

I’m sorry but I have to disagree with you, you are not the government you are a part of the government bureaucracy! What too many people in this country have forgotten is THEY are the government not the Senators, Representatives, and those that work in the government agencies. Those people are our servants that are suppose to be there working on the behalf of the governed. It is this thinking that they are the Government and therefore can do whatever they want because it is for the best of the lowly governed and they know what is best for us that has gotten us where we are now.

No, I haven’t ever had the pleasure to serve in any capacity of the government let have often thought about it. I will support any law enforcement agency as long as they do whatever is needed to protect the public as long as it is within the bounds of the law and not go over it. I think it should be hard for them to do their jobs to protect us so the can not run roughshod over us. I know that there is no expectation for you to protect me and the courts have ruled that you have no legal obligation too. Therefore, I will not give up any of my rights/freedoms that have not already been given up for me on a presumed expectation of more safety. Once again I tell my government what I want from it not the other way!

Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: Lakhota] #7738964 02/06/20 05:17 AM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

I’d rather not.

I’m sorry but I have to disagree with you, you are not the government you are a part of the government bureaucracy! What too many people in this country have forgotten is THEY are the government not the Senators, Representatives, and those that work in the government agencies. Those people are our servants that are suppose to be there working on the behalf of the governed. It is this thinking that they are the Government and therefore can do whatever they want because it is for the best of the lowly governed and they know what is best for us that has gotten us where we are now.

No, I haven’t ever had the pleasure to serve in any capacity of the government let have often thought about it. I will support any law enforcement agency as long as they do whatever is needed to protect the public as long as it is within the bounds of the law and not go over it. I think it should be hard for them to do their jobs to protect us so the can not run roughshod over us. I know that there is no expectation for you to protect me and the courts have ruled that you have no legal obligation too. Therefore, I will not give up any of my rights/freedoms that have not already been given up for me on a presumed expectation of more safety. Once again I tell my government what I want from it not the other way!

You are certainly free to disagree with me. If you ever worked a cold case for 20 years with the mother of a little girl who was raped and murdered calling you every week to see where you were at with the case, and knowing he's still out there doing it lord knows how many more times, I suspect you might have a different perspective.

Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: Texas Dan] #7738972 02/06/20 06:41 AM
L
Lakhota Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
L
No Sir, I fully understand where you are coming from and wanting to put the scum away, give justice and closure to the family. I can not even start to image the stress of working those cases and I thank you, and every other detective, and beat officer for the jobs that y’all do. It is just my concern of where this leads us and by doing so what we do to future generations freedom.

What I mean by I want your job to be hard is that I want all laws to be followed and warrants for anything that is needed to be obtained so the case is as tight as can be so the people that committed said crime can not get off because it wasn’t done correctly. If information happens to fall into hands that is great as well as long as it is all legal. I want these people off the streets too and as a juror have no problem sending these people to prison for a long time or death if so justified and will lose no sleep doing it. I have just seen the cases where things weren’t done properly and the person got off or a DA hid evidence and innocent people were sent to person.

Once again Thank You for what you do and have done and I believe there are more good people doing your job than not. We are only human and are all fallible.

Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: ntxtrapper] #7738996 02/06/20 10:37 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

I’d rather not.

Right. End of discussion. I’ve never done your job. I’m not allowed to have an opinion of my rights. Carry on.

Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: Lakhota] #7739024 02/06/20 12:56 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

What I mean by I want your job to be hard is that I want all laws to be followed and warrants for anything that is needed to be obtained so the case is as tight as can be so the people that committed said crime can not get off because it wasn’t done correctly.

You mean like the search warrant that was obtained that started this entire discussion?

Re: Is it okay to go fishing for evidence? [Re: cbump] #7739041 02/06/20 01:25 PM
L
Lakhota Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted by cbump

What I mean by I want your job to be hard is that I want all laws to be followed and warrants for anything that is needed to be obtained so the case is as tight as can be so the people that committed said crime can not get off because it wasn’t done correctly.

You mean like the search warrant that was obtained that started this entire discussion?

Yes, with out any probable cause! Therefore, we will let the court’s decision which may take a while and I’m good with that.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide