Print Thread
can you remove scratches in Glass? #7730090 01/27/20 09:06 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
My dog got scared the other day and scratched the chit outta my back door glass and bay window.

is there a safe way to effectively remove these scratches? I have heard 0000 steel wool will do it

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: can you remove scratches in Glass? [Re: txtrophy85] #7730096 01/27/20 09:10 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Use some Brasso.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: can you remove scratches in Glass? [Re: txtrophy85] #7730117 01/27/20 09:32 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
No you'll never get the scratches out.. Reglaze is all you can do.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: can you remove scratches in Glass? [Re: txtrophy85] #7730119 01/27/20 09:34 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
There are compounds that will remove scratches but be careful. They remove glass and will thin it in that area.

The only way to remove scratches is the lower the surrounding surface to the lowest level of the scratch. Those glass panes are not think to begin with.

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: can you remove scratches in Glass? [Re: txtrophy85] #7730303 01/28/20 12:08 AM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Did the dog actually scratch the glass or just leave toenail streaks on it? I've always heard it takes something a lot stronger than a dog's toenails to scratch glass. I've heard a lot of wrong stuff, though.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: can you remove scratches in Glass? [Re: Slow Drifter] #7730313 01/28/20 12:18 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Slow Drifter
Did the dog actually scratch the glass or just leave toenail streaks on it? I've always heard it takes something a lot stronger than a dog's toenails to scratch glass. I've heard a lot of wrong stuff, though.

you are correct . Its actually the dirt on the nails that do the scratching.

[Linked Image]
Re: can you remove scratches in Glass? [Re: Slow Drifter] #7730317 01/28/20 12:22 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

no these are bonafide scratches. Her nails did them she freaked out and started scratching the glass trying to get in

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: can you remove scratches in Glass? [Re: txtrophy85] #7730319 01/28/20 12:22 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
A dog can absolutely scratch glass. A glass company can resurface it for less than replacing it. I've never tried doing it myself though.

Re: can you remove scratches in Glass? [Re: txtrophy85] #7730341 01/28/20 12:37 AM
L
Lazyjack Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
You can probably blend them to lessen the notice.

Jewelers rouge and a buffing wheel might improve the appearance.

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: can you remove scratches in Glass? [Re: txtrophy85] #7730344 01/28/20 12:39 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Try using this buffing system https://www.harborfreight.com/power...s/polisher-accessory-kit-6-pc-64607.html

With Meguiars Plastx Polish https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-PlastX-Plastic-Cleaner-Polish/dp/B0000AY3SR

The Meguiars is a plastic polish, with a real fine abrasive, I have used it to polish CA finishes on wood, It should clean and polish the scratches so they don't look so bad.

As stated, be gentle, that glass is thin, but this stuff won't remove very much.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: can you remove scratches in Glass? [Re: txtrophy85] #7730352 01/28/20 12:44 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
DONT GO INCREDIBLE HULK ON IT. you will heat the glass and bust it.

[Linked Image]
Re: can you remove scratches in Glass? [Re: txtrophy85] #7730356 01/28/20 12:46 AM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I've used Happich Simichrome polish (tube/paste) to remove scratches from eye glasses & safety glasses.
It leaves a film that has to be removed with glass cleaner.

Re: can you remove scratches in Glass? [Re: txtrophy85] #7730372 01/28/20 12:53 AM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Bought a house years ago, same issue. Former owners hound had ruined a sliding glass door.

We replaced it.
Worked great.

[Linked Image]

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Re: can you remove scratches in Glass? [Re: Tin Head] #7731375 01/28/20 10:34 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Tin Head

you are correct . Its actually the dirt on the nails that do the scratching.

Oh yeah, I hadn't thought about the dirt (sand and stuff) on the nails. And that stuff will certainly scratch glass! (used to live in AZ)

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: can you remove scratches in Glass? [Re: txtrophy85] #7731550 01/29/20 01:03 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-remove-scratches-from-glass/

3 Fixes for Scratched Glass
Don't let unsightly scratches mar your favorite glass surfaces. Here are three ways you can restore your tabletops, windows, and other glass accents to their gleaming glory.
By Manasa Reddigari

Whether in the form of a windowpane, shower wall, or tabletop, glass serves as a durable and glamorous surface almost anywhere in the home. But while glass may appear crystal clear when you first install it, normal wear and tear can create unsightly scratches that diminish its shine and style. Consulting a professional glazier is your best bet for repairing gouges deep enough to feel with the tip of your fingernail, but you can remove superficial scrapes using three ordinary materials and these extraordinarily effective techniques.

CLEAN AND CLEAR

Toothpaste doesn’t just keep your teeth squeaky clean. When activated with a bit of elbow grease, the minty refresher offers an easy and economical way to fix and smooth tiny scratches in glass. After thoroughly cleaning and drying the surface, apply a dot of white, non-gel toothpaste (preferably containing baking soda) to a damp, lint-free cloth. Using small, circular motions, rub the paste into the scratch for about 30 seconds. Wipe off the excess toothpaste with the cloth, and inspect for signs of improvement. Reapply the paste as many times as needed to minimize the scratch’s appearance. Finally, give your newly pristine glass a once-over with a damp cloth to clean off any residual paste and restore its natural sheen.

TOUGH AS NAILS

Photo: fotosearch.com
For scratches that require a more controlled application of remover, you need look no further than your medicine cabinet. A bottle of clear nail polish packs potent ingredients that can diminish flaws and beautify glass without fading or damaging it. Use the polish’s applicator brush to spread a thin layer over the entire scratch. The clear polish will fill in any grooves, dissipating visible dings. Let the polish dry for about an hour so it can cure over the glass, then wipe it away with a clean, dry cloth dipped in nail polish remover to dissolve any polish left behind on the surface of the glass.

PERFECTLY POLISHED

Another way to render your glass surfaces scratch-free is to softly sand and buff them bright with a metal polish product. (Many DIYers swear by Brasso Multi-Purpose Metal Polish, which you can buy on Amazon or at your local home center). First, clean the metal and wipe it dry to get rid of any dust or debris that could further damage the surface. Next, apply the polish to a cotton ball or clean cloth, and gently rub it into the scratch using a circular motion. Follow up with a clean, damp cloth to remove any of the remaining solution and reveal a smooth, like-new product. Remember to avoid extra application of the metal polish, as its abrasive qualities could end up doing more harm than good.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: can you remove scratches in Glass? [Re: txtrophy85] #7731563 01/29/20 01:15 AM
R
RGLass Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Polishing scratches out of glass is not easy. Reglazing is the best alternative. Only the lightest scratches can be polished out and it’s not fast or easy. I was in the glass business for 40 years. I’ve seen more scratches in glass than most folks for sure. People ruin windshields every winter trying to get ice off with things you would not believe they would use.

Re: can you remove scratches in Glass? [Re: RGLass] #7731574 01/29/20 01:23 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by RGLass
Polishing scratches out of glass is not easy. Reglazing is the best alternative. Only the lightest scratches can be polished out and it’s not fast or easy. I was in the glass business for 40 years. I’ve seen more scratches in glass than most folks for sure. People ruin windshields every winter trying to get ice off with things you would not believe they would use.
Now that is the truth.

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide