Print Thread
Where Do I Even Start? #7721738 01/18/20 07:23 PM
A
Abishai2584 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
I have this posted in the bowhunting forum but per ChrisB's suggestion, decided to post it in here too since this one gets more traffic.

So...

I've been bowhunting for 20 years, but my experience is limited to hunting in Arkansas and Kansas. That translates pretty well moving eastward or in the midwest, but I'm not sure it translates across to hunting the part of Texas I'll be in. I've never hunted "out west" and I feel like the area terrain in the cross-timbers is more like that than the dense, heavily wooded forests I'm used to hunting.

This summer I'm moving to Fort Hood. I've turkey hunted parts of north-central Oklahoma that I think might resemble the vegetation, topography, and lay of the land that I'll see at Fort Hood, but that's about it. Eastern Texas resembles some parts of LA (Lower Arkansas) pine lands, but I'll be further west than that.

Google-scouting the area, it looks like a lot of post-oak and cedar, with grassy areas. No agriculture...some hills, but knobby--not much elevation change at all maybe 100 foot change from top to bottom. I'm used to big steep mountains in Arkansas and wooded draws (some of that is in Texas) with waterways. Most creeks on Hood look intermittent and more like dry ditches or wadis than creeks.

I also expect deer numbers to be lower in the area. But as for terrain, I'm not even sure where to start. I've always been a treestand hunter--I have climbers, hang-ons, ladder stands, saddles, even a ground blind. But those, require trees that they work in. Will that even work there?

BTW, I don't want any of your spots.

Tips or pointers on what to expect, how to hunt, or scout this area (from afar on a computer) are appreciated.

"If you want to catch beasts you don't see every day, you have to go places quite out of the way. You have to go places no others can get to. You have to get cold, and you have to get wet, too." --Dr. Seuss
Re: Where Do I Even Start? [Re: Abishai2584] #7721788 01/18/20 08:34 PM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
My tip is to go, and make adjustments as needed. The environment may be different, but the hunting skills are not. Once you have an exact area, you can fine tune how to scout, and hunt it. Some areas you can drive around quite a bit, some not at all. Most of my scouting is done on foot. Comfortable walking boots, a compass, and bottle of water is what I take.

Re: Where Do I Even Start? [Re: Abishai2584] #7721814 01/18/20 09:09 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Abishai2584
I have this posted in the bowhunting forum but per ChrisB's suggestion, decided to post it in here too since this one gets more traffic.

So...

I've been bowhunting for 20 years, but my experience is limited to hunting in Arkansas and Kansas. That translates pretty well moving eastward or in the midwest, but I'm not sure it translates across to hunting the part of Texas I'll be in. I've never hunted "out west" and I feel like the area terrain in the cross-timbers is more like that than the dense, heavily wooded forests I'm used to hunting.

This summer I'm moving to Fort Hood. I've turkey hunted parts of north-central Oklahoma that I think might resemble the vegetation, topography, and lay of the land that I'll see at Fort Hood, but that's about it. Eastern Texas resembles some parts of LA (Lower Arkansas) pine lands, but I'll be further west than that.

Google-scouting the area, it looks like a lot of post-oak and cedar, with grassy areas. No agriculture...some hills, but knobby--not much elevation change at all maybe 100 foot change from top to bottom. I'm used to big steep mountains in Arkansas and wooded draws (some of that is in Texas) with waterways. Most creeks on Hood look intermittent and more like dry ditches or wadis than creeks.

I also expect deer numbers to be lower in the area. But as for terrain, I'm not even sure where to start. I've always been a treestand hunter--I have climbers, hang-ons, ladder stands, saddles, even a ground blind. But those, require trees that they work in. Will that even work there?

BTW, I don't want any of your spots.

Tips or pointers on what to expect, how to hunt, or scout this area (from afar on a computer) are appreciated.

Suggest you PM SapperTitan on this forum.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Where Do I Even Start? [Re: Halfadozen] #7721854 01/18/20 10:23 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Halfadozen

Suggest you PM SapperTitan on this forum.

Here is Sapper's profile, send him a PM. https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/users/23999

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Where Do I Even Start? [Re: Abishai2584] #7722643 01/19/20 10:28 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
I agree, contact Sapper

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Where Do I Even Start? [Re: Abishai2584] #7722724 01/20/20 12:11 AM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Lots of guys bow hunt out of popup blinds... The numbers may be higher, good luck and have fun. up

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: Where Do I Even Start? [Re: Abishai2584] #7723132 01/20/20 01:55 PM
T
TKandMike Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Trees right there may or may not work, but you're not far from some bigger national forests with trees that are definitely suitable for all your gear.

Re: Where Do I Even Start? [Re: TKandMike] #7723612 01/20/20 08:42 PM
A
Abishai2584 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Originally Posted by TKandMike
Trees right there may or may not work, but you're not far from some bigger national forests with trees that are definitely suitable for all your gear.

Nice name. I miss those goofy old videos.

"If you want to catch beasts you don't see every day, you have to go places quite out of the way. You have to go places no others can get to. You have to get cold, and you have to get wet, too." --Dr. Seuss
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide