Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Rabies? #7719666 01/16/20 04:51 PM
TCM3 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
I think we've got some Rabid coons running around here in the east side of the county.
In the last 4 months I've seen about 10 coons, out in broad daylight, sometimes acting like they are on deaths door.
And other times out in midday just moving slow and lethargic.
If I'm carrying I shoot them on site.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Rabies? [Re: TCM3] #7719687 01/16/20 05:07 PM
H
Hunt Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Be sure to let GW know, they will want to test. That's why trapping is sometimes best.

Just had a skunk test positive here in Greenville. It had been fighting with a dog.

Re: Rabies? [Re: TCM3] #7719689 01/16/20 05:09 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I'd call animal control. I've called animal control before and got switched to the Sheriff's office because the AC was out. They thought I was nuts. AC finally came out and confirmed it was a sick coon. Out in the middle of the day stumbling around.

With a two to six month incubation period before symptoms, and once symptoms appear there's likely nothing that can be done, I wouldn't take a chance with them.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Rabies? [Re: TCM3] #7719814 01/16/20 06:52 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Shoot any bury......but be careful handling them. wear rubber gloves and bury the gloves also.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Rabies? [Re: TCM3] #7720550 01/17/20 02:03 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
We saw the same thing around here last year. Turned out to be a naturally occurring disease - something similar to distemper or Parvo if I recall correctly. In the final stages, the raccoons would just sit there as if in a stupor, then die soon after.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Rabies? [Re: Mr. T.] #7720625 01/17/20 03:16 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Shoot any bury......but be careful handling them. wear rubber gloves and bury the gloves also.

Bury them deep. Rabies can survive in a carcass for up to two days.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Rabies? [Re: TCM3] #7720849 01/17/20 06:17 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by TCM3
I think we've got some Rabid coons running around here in the east side of the county.
In the last 4 months I've seen about 10 coons, out in broad daylight, sometimes acting like they are on deaths door.
And other times out in midday just moving slow and lethargic.
If I'm carrying I shoot them on site.

I know a lot of folks will just shoot raccoons because they are out in daylight, having the belief that raccoons are only active nocturnally and if they are out in daylight, that they must have rabies. That just isn't true. Particularly in the summer time, raccoons will seek water during daylight hours. I have watched a mama and young come down from a tree, go to my spring, drink, and then return to the tree. Sometimes, they are forced out of their trees for other reasons as well. So the daylight issue alone isn't significant except that their activity is more readily visible. https://www.raccoonatticguide.com/daytime.html The preceding article also talks about them sometimes feeding in the day time. I have not witnessed that personally, but it makes sense. If they are out and about and find food, they are going to eat it.

However, the odd behavior is probably the one key that needs to be considered, be it in the day time or at night.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Rabies? [Re: Marc K] #7726189 01/23/20 01:58 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Marc K
We saw the same thing around here last year. Turned out to be a naturally occurring disease - something similar to distemper or Parvo if I recall correctly. In the final stages, the raccoons would just sit there as if in a stupor, then die soon after.

Yes, distemper is FAR more common in raccoons and other wild animals than rabies. And like rabies, distemper will cause animals that are normally nocturnal to be active during the day.

The problem when these sick animals appear in residential areas is getting someone to deal with them. We had a raccoon that staggered around the streets near my home and local animal control kept ignoring calls from residents. They always like to use the excuse that they can't go onto private property without the owners permission. Finally the poor animal ended up on my property so I called them myself. Of course they responded with their usual excuse, to which I replied the animal was in my yard and if it bit a child in the area, I would contact local TV stations and tell them how they refused to deal with the animal. An animal control officer was at my house within the hour.

I've never had an experience with Animal Control that didn't make me believe they're as useless as the tits on a boar hog.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 01/23/20 02:00 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide