Forums46
Topics537,757
Posts9,728,740
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7720314 01/17/20 02:47 AM
G
Gary Olson Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
I was camping in a small creek bed at 7500 ft in the mountains near Tahoe in California. Laying in the tent just before dawn waiting for the sun to burn off the chill. A screaming noise which starts off quiet and increases in volume and pitch for about 15 seconds echos off the mountain above me. Being CA, the only weapon available is the camp shovel and some lighter fluid. Hiked around that day but found no signs of animals or other people. Next morning, same screaming. I pack it in and head back to the parking area the next afternoon. As I am leaving the park, the maintenance crew emptying the dumpsters drive off....something in the drive train screaming like the sound I heard on the mountain.

Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Michael W.] #7720359 01/17/20 03:32 AM
texasag93 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Michael W.
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
A mountain lion screaming like a woman right at dark when I was about 13 ...I made tracks straight back to the house.

The hair on my neck just stood up typing this 40+ years later.... bolt

I heard one about 30 yrs. ago. The most eerie scream I have ever heard. Sitting around a fire one night about 9:30. Made the hair on my neck stand up. Couple nights later I talked to a neighbor and he lost 2 dogs that night. Both torn up.

My dad talks about that sound when he was a teenager coon hunting. He talked to his dad and he said it was a mountain lion. Circa 1953. I first heard that story around 1980 before grampa passed.

Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7720364 01/17/20 03:38 AM
TCM3 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Nope. Id crap myself hearing that in the mid of night

Last edited by TCM3; 01/17/20 03:39 AM.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7720421 01/17/20 04:58 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
We had a few sika that would make a screaming sound. Guest would come back to camp with eyes wide open thinking they had heard a Bigfoot. It seems any unidentifiable sound is a Bigfoot.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7720447 01/17/20 07:09 AM
B
bronco71 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
A cougar scream also.....freaked me out the first time I heard one at night!

Another time we were bear hunting in Colorado and had a tent camp at the edge of a wilderness area. A sheepherders camp was a couple hundred yards from us but he was rarely in camp. He had a couple horses hobbled that moved around pretty well which made a very interesting sound, especially at night, but that sound we identified quite easily. We normally slept late in the morning since the bears rarely were moving then but one crisp cold morning my hunting buddy decided to go scouting at first light since we had seen some bears in the area around camp. I stayed snuggled up in my warm mummy bag and went back to sleep not realizing that he left the tent door open. I woke up to the sound of something big moving outside and could tell it was not a hobbled horse. It seemed to be exploring our campsite. I was face down in a tight mummy bag when the sound, along with a strong odor, was right on top of me.....literally. I did not move and could tell that it was big and hairy and smelled awful. I just knew it was a bear that had me pinned down in my sleeping bag and I was going to die! Next thing I knew, to my great relief, was the sheepherders sheep dog on top of me trying to lick my face....

Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7720536 01/17/20 01:46 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Walking in elk hunting before dawn. Mountain lion screamed. Sounded like it was in my back pocket. On that same trip, we were walking in before daybreak . A herd of bedded elk erupted around us like a covey of quail. I had to go back and change clothes. I had peed my pants.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Simple Searcher] #7720541 01/17/20 01:55 PM
M
Machintis Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
We had a few sika that would make a screaming sound. Guest would come back to camp with eyes wide open thinking they had heard a Bigfoot. It seems any unidentifiable sound is a Bigfoot.

I agree. I think most people don't get into the woods much and they misidentify anything that does not sound like a dog or a bird. Elk can sound really crazy too.

Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: LFD2037] #7720578 01/17/20 02:32 PM
F
fredeboy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Originally Posted by LFD2037
A cougar, which sounds like a woman or child screaming.
One sound I still don't know what it was. It was about 4pm. 2 of us sitting in a crappy blind that had no door or roof. It was very quiet then this sound started. It sounded like someone positioning their lips like sucking thru a straw. It started quiet & slow but gradually (over about 2-3 seconds) got faster & louder. Something similar to a jet breaking the sound barrier by the end of it. It became insanely loud, almost so loud it hurt our ears. Crazy sound.

Sounds like it could have been baby buzzards. The only time I heard them I compared the noise to what a dragon would sound like. I can see how someone could compare it to a jet engine Amazing how loud it was

Last edited by fredeboy; 01/17/20 02:38 PM.
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: fredeboy] #7721687 01/18/20 05:54 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by fredeboy
Originally Posted by LFD2037
A cougar, which sounds like a woman or child screaming.
One sound I still don't know what it was. It was about 4pm. 2 of us sitting in a crappy blind that had no door or roof. It was very quiet then this sound started. It sounded like someone positioning their lips like sucking thru a straw. It started quiet & slow but gradually (over about 2-3 seconds) got faster & louder. Something similar to a jet breaking the sound barrier by the end of it. It became insanely loud, almost so loud it hurt our ears. Crazy sound.

Sounds like it could have been baby buzzards. The only time I heard them I compared the noise to what a dragon would sound like. I can see how someone could compare it to a jet engine Amazing how loud it was

No way. This sound sounded like it started 500 miles to the west, went over us & sounded 500 miles to the east in maybe 5 seconds from start to finish. What was weirdest was even though I say west & east, the sound surrounded us from top to bottom & left to right. It was just more pronounced from one side to the other..

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7723229 01/20/20 03:30 PM
F
fredeboy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Maybe someone working on a gas well confused2

Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7723918 01/21/20 02:28 AM
F
floresrsr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Damn! Reading these stories made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Once we have a war there is only one thing to do. It must be won. For defeat brings worse things than any that can ever happen in war.
Ernest Hemingway

Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7723967 01/21/20 03:35 AM
R
rfamilyhunting Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Neighbors of ours booked us a tour of Gorman cave at TPWD Colorado State Park for my family and themselves. My neighbor, in his younger days, explored the cave many times. Now you can only take a tour with a TPWD staff. The cave goes a good distance back with small side tunnels breaking off. We track through some low spaces and a small amount of water. We get to the back area and my neighbor reluctantly shows us and the park ranger the graffiti he put there 40+ years ago when it was privately owned, he is now a nature lover and would never do such a thing again. Then the park ranger had us do the normal thing most cave tours do, turn off all the flashlights just to see how dark it is. It was then we hear the loudest growl I have ever heard in my life. All my hair including my pubic hair stood straight up! Try to keep your city wife and children calm in this situation. The flashlights immediately came back on. I locked eyes with the park ranger and we downplayed what we just heard to everyone in the tour group and we calmly and swiftly made our way out of the cave. The park closed the cave after our exit and a group of park rangers went back the next day only finding mountain lion tracks everywhere.

Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7723974 01/21/20 03:53 AM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
A mountain lion screaming like a woman right at dark when I was about 13 ...I made tracks straight back to the house.

Sir, you have had one horrible run with the kitties in your lifetime! roflmao

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: rfamilyhunting] #7723978 01/21/20 04:02 AM
TCM3 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by rfamilyhunting
Neighbors of ours booked us a tour of Gorman cave at TPWD Colorado State Park for my family and themselves. My neighbor, in his younger days, explored the cave many times. Now you can only take a tour with a TPWD staff. The cave goes a good distance back with small side tunnels breaking off. We track through some low spaces and a small amount of water. We get to the back area and my neighbor reluctantly shows us and the park ranger the graffiti he put there 40+ years ago when it was privately owned, he is now a nature lover and would never do such a thing again. Then the park ranger had us do the normal thing most cave tours do, turn off all the flashlights just to see how dark it is. It was then we hear the loudest growl I have ever heard in my life. All my hair including my pubic hair stood straight up! Try to keep your city wife and children calm in this situation. The flashlights immediately came back on. I locked eyes with the park ranger and we downplayed what we just heard to everyone in the tour group and we calmly and swiftly made our way out of the cave. The park closed the cave after our exit and a group of park rangers went back the next day only finding mountain lion tracks everywhere.

roflmao

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
(R-TX)
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7724043 01/21/20 10:54 AM
T
TEXASLEFTY Offline
THF Whiskey Sommelier
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Wow

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Bullfrog] #7724160 01/21/20 02:37 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Bullfrog

Sir, you have had one horrible run with the kitties in your lifetime! roflmao

whip

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: rfamilyhunting] #7725091 01/22/20 02:12 PM
M
Machintis Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Have any of you guys heard anything or seen anything that you could not explain as a cat or a elk?

Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7725161 01/22/20 03:00 PM
TCM3 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I've seen a lot of things I can't explain .

Happened again yesterday.....
Feeding the cows on the lease, 17 in total, nearly all of them stopped eating and tossed their heads up,
And looked at the tree line about 60 yards away, may be closer.
the cows who have had calves walked away from the feed trough and went to their calves....
The Bull also started doing his deep bellowing ..... I had my shotgun with me and loaded it with slugs..
Went and looked didn't see anything. eek2

Last edited by TCM3; 01/22/20 03:05 PM.

(R-TX)
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7725255 01/22/20 04:04 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by machintis
Have any of you guys heard anything or seen anything that you could not explain as a cat or a elk?

yep, been hunting in Freestone county for several years, our eastern border is the Trinity river, there are a lot of sounds I've heard hunting the bottom that I have no idea what they might have been. Some might be alligators in the duck ponds ...

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: TCM3] #7728479 01/26/20 12:52 AM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TCM3

About 2 years ago, Me and brother were out night hunting for pigs, we had corn out in a 40 yard by 40 yard clearing , and we were in a tree stand roughly 25 feet up, about 11:30 PM.
About 20 yards behind us we hear footsteps, not like a quadpedal or hooved animal. But like you would hear a human walking , so we readied our weapons,
Looking at my watch it's now 11:38 and we are still hearing movement behind us just lingering in one spot.... But moving closer, I look at my watch again, 11:41PM, foot steps come right underneath us, but off to the right about 5 feet. We are sitting in the stand like statues with our hearts going 300MPH, then comes the stinch. It's not pig stinch, it's like a skunk, shoved up a rotting carcass, the steps proceed around behind the stand and stop again about 15 feet behind us, and we hear breathing, it's not one of us, it's like breathing when your sick, and have gunk in your lungs like raspy breathing.
It's almost midnight now, so 30 minutes of this being circling us, it finally makes its way to the north, which is where Camp creek runs through and provides a good waterway as it is not very deep.
We wasted no time gathering our gear and bolting to his Truck 100 yards away. I bet not even the fastest NFL receiver could have out ran us that night.

what was it? I don't know. At the time I always thought of Bigfoot as a fake figment of imaginations.
After that, I wasn't so cold hearted.

It's also strange to me as we have always found nice healthy tree branches snapped for no apparent reason along trails or near creeks, we also run cows, and there have often been occasions when we go feed, they will look at the tree line and throw their head up like they see something.
And sometimes we'll get over there and they are all spooked and jumpy.
I'm not saying there is a Bigfoot , but I can certainly say I do not doubt it.

I do not go into the woods there now without a rifle, or I always carry Buckshot or Slugs with me if I'm dove hunting.
I can say I was truly scared.

Y’all didn’t have any lights? How were you going to see pigs?

Proverbs 2
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Sniper.270] #7728602 01/26/20 03:46 AM
TCM3 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Sniper.270
Originally Posted by TCM3

About 2 years ago, Me and brother were out night hunting for pigs, we had corn out in a 40 yard by 40 yard clearing , and we were in a tree stand roughly 25 feet up, about 11:30 PM.
About 20 yards behind us we hear footsteps, not like a quadpedal or hooved animal. But like you would hear a human walking , so we readied our weapons,
Looking at my watch it's now 11:38 and we are still hearing movement behind us just lingering in one spot.... But moving closer, I look at my watch again, 11:41PM, foot steps come right underneath us, but off to the right about 5 feet. We are sitting in the stand like statues with our hearts going 300MPH, then comes the stinch. It's not pig stinch, it's like a skunk, shoved up a rotting carcass, the steps proceed around behind the stand and stop again about 15 feet behind us, and we hear breathing, it's not one of us, it's like breathing when your sick, and have gunk in your lungs like raspy breathing.
It's almost midnight now, so 30 minutes of this being circling us, it finally makes its way to the north, which is where Camp creek runs through and provides a good waterway as it is not very deep.
We wasted no time gathering our gear and bolting to his Truck 100 yards away. I bet not even the fastest NFL receiver could have out ran us that night.

what was it? I don't know. At the time I always thought of Bigfoot as a fake figment of imaginations.
After that, I wasn't so cold hearted.

It's also strange to me as we have always found nice healthy tree branches snapped for no apparent reason along trails or near creeks, we also run cows, and there have often been occasions when we go feed, they will look at the tree line and throw their head up like they see something.
And sometimes we'll get over there and they are all spooked and jumpy.
I'm not saying there is a Bigfoot , but I can certainly say I do not doubt it.

I do not go into the woods there now without a rifle, or I always carry Buckshot or Slugs with me if I'm dove hunting.
I can say I was truly scared.

Y’all didn’t have any lights? How were you going to see pigs?

We had lights on our guns, we were too scared to even think of moving.... We didn't know what was down their, definitely not a deer,pig or K9.

(R-TX)
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: jdk1985] #7730540 01/28/20 02:54 AM
U
Undercoverdog Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
U
Originally Posted by jdk1985
I once saw a staircase in the middle of nowhere, in nowhere Texas, on the Brazos. Crazy [censored].

https://www.google.com/search?clien...sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I ain't got a dime but what I got is mine, I ain't rich, but Lord I'm free..."

Son,If I say sic em you better find something to bite.
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7733118 01/30/20 03:14 PM
sleepyhunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Nothing will wake you up faster then walking to your blind in the dark and suddenly stir up a flock of quail. Never got used to that. scared

Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: sleepyhunter] #7733179 01/30/20 04:22 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by sleepyhunter
Nothing will wake you up faster then walking to your blind in the dark and suddenly stir up a flock of quail. Never got used to that. scared

Ever heard ~30 turkey take flight all at once? Almost poo'd my pants!

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7733257 01/30/20 05:27 PM
T
TSU99 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
In 2014 I was Elk hunting in a National Forest in Southern Colorado. I making my way back to camp using a fire lane. Something very big and heavy was keeping pace with me just to my left behind me in the tree line. I'd stop, it would take a step or two and stop. Is still remember to this day, I heard no birds or any other usual natural sounds at that time either. Later that night while in bed, I heard what sounded like someone hitting a tree stump with branch. Thump, thump, thump, pause and did it again. I finally went to sleep... in the truck. The next morning, I woke up to mud smeared all over one side of the tent. I've talked to people up there and have heard theories about what it was. Bugged me ever since. My theory... some drunk idiot was messing with me.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide