Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods #7719118 01/16/20 01:39 AM
M
Machintis Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
I am just curious what the weirdest, animal, sound or thing you guys have seen in the woods. I have heard weird sounds myself like whoops and snarls, but nothing over the top. I did see two bears on trail while I was hiking as a backpacking guide. They ended up following us the entire trip without us knowing (We saw them early in a six day trip). Kinda creepy.

Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7719139 01/16/20 01:58 AM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
When I was about 12 or 13, sitting on my deer stand opening morning in Eastern Central Texas I heard what turned out to be an elk bugling from a game ranch down the road. I'd never heard that before and it kinda' freaked me out at the time.

Edited to add: Their bugle carries like a coyote call. Sounded like he was in my hip pocket.

Last edited by Slow Drifter; 01/16/20 02:00 AM. Reason: Just added some info

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7719148 01/16/20 02:04 AM
S
Stratgolfer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Slow drifter I heard that same bugle for the first time while I was camping alone in Northern Arizona. I immediately snuck from my tent into the backseat of my car and locked the doors.
My unusual sound was last year on a dead still morning sitting in my blind. Someone on the neighboring property, which is hundreds of yards away, started their practice on the Cello outside in their yard. It was so eery. Took me a while to figure out the sound.

"I was called by the Yorkers a outlaw, and later by the english a rebel" Ethan Allen
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7719169 01/16/20 02:14 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
A mountain lion screaming like a woman right at dark when I was about 13 ...I made tracks straight back to the house.

The hair on my neck just stood up typing this 40+ years later.... bolt

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7719170 01/16/20 02:14 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

About 2 years ago, Me and brother were out night hunting for pigs, we had corn out in a 40 yard by 40 yard clearing , and we were in a tree stand roughly 25 feet up, about 11:30 PM.
About 20 yards behind us we hear footsteps, not like a quadpedal or hooved animal. But like you would hear a human walking , so we readied our weapons,
Looking at my watch it's now 11:38 and we are still hearing movement behind us just lingering in one spot.... But moving closer, I look at my watch again, 11:41PM, foot steps come right underneath us, but off to the right about 5 feet. We are sitting in the stand like statues with our hearts going 300MPH, then comes the stinch. It's not pig stinch, it's like a skunk, shoved up a rotting carcass, the steps proceed around behind the stand and stop again about 15 feet behind us, and we hear breathing, it's not one of us, it's like breathing when your sick, and have gunk in your lungs like raspy breathing.
It's almost midnight now, so 30 minutes of this being circling us, it finally makes its way to the north, which is where Camp creek runs through and provides a good waterway as it is not very deep.
We wasted no time gathering our gear and bolting to his Truck 100 yards away. I bet not even the fastest NFL receiver could have out ran us that night.

what was it? I don't know. At the time I always thought of Bigfoot as a fake figment of imaginations.
After that, I wasn't so cold hearted.

It's also strange to me as we have always found nice healthy tree branches snapped for no apparent reason along trails or near creeks, we also run cows, and there have often been occasions when we go feed, they will look at the tree line and throw their head up like they see something.
And sometimes we'll get over there and they are all spooked and jumpy.
I'm not saying there is a Bigfoot , but I can certainly say I do not doubt it.

I do not go into the woods there now without a rifle, or I always carry Buckshot or Slugs with me if I'm dove hunting.
I can say I was truly scared.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7719225 01/16/20 02:53 AM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
A cougar, which sounds like a woman or child screaming.
One sound I still don't know what it was. It was about 4pm. 2 of us sitting in a crappy blind that had no door or roof. It was very quiet then this sound started. It sounded like someone positioning their lips like sucking thru a straw. It started quiet & slow but gradually (over about 2-3 seconds) got faster & louder. Something similar to a jet breaking the sound barrier by the end of it. It became insanely loud, almost so loud it hurt our ears. Crazy sound.

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7719228 01/16/20 02:55 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
This thread has great potential.... popcorn

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7719240 01/16/20 03:02 AM
P
pnh Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
I'm skeered already! scared

Character is what you do when nobody's looking.
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7719311 01/16/20 04:21 AM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I once saw a staircase in the middle of nowhere, in nowhere Texas, on the Brazos. Crazy [censored].

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7719317 01/16/20 04:24 AM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Well, since you mentioned sight as well. Not me personally, but on my place and I saw the pictures. A hunting buddy will never go to my place alone again, and never without a handgun.

He was of work and got to his stand well before first light on a Wednesday or maybe.a Thursday. He sat until nearly noon and walked over to pull the card from a game cam, about 40 yards away.

Back at camp, he plugged the card into his laptop and viewed the images. There were a lot of pics of people. I think it was three guys and two girls. The guys had AR-15's and the girls had pistols on their hips. Their faces were so weird. Totally vacant eyes, slack jaws and completely devoid of any emotion whatsoever. The scary part is the pics were taken about 10 minutes before he sat down in his stand. Chances are they were in the woods with him that morning. They probably knew he was there, but he didn't know they were there. I get shivers just remembering the pictures I saw.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7719355 01/16/20 05:19 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
https://youtu.be/NrIITDYkr50?t=152
Deeper into the wilderness, the more you'll encounter.... eeks333

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
(R-TX)
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Slow Drifter] #7719356 01/16/20 05:20 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Slow Drifter
Well, since you mentioned sight as well. Not me personally, but on my place and I saw the pictures. A hunting buddy will never go to my place alone again, and never without a handgun.

He was of work and got to his stand well before first light on a Wednesday or maybe.a Thursday. He sat until nearly noon and walked over to pull the card from a game cam, about 40 yards away.

Back at camp, he plugged the card into his laptop and viewed the images. There were a lot of pics of people. I think it was three guys and two girls. The guys had AR-15's and the girls had pistols on their hips. Their faces were so weird. Totally vacant eyes, slack jaws and completely devoid of any emotion whatsoever. The scary part is the pics were taken about 10 minutes before he sat down in his stand. Chances are they were in the woods with him that morning. They probably knew he was there, but he didn't know they were there. I get shivers just remembering the pictures I saw.

Probably been on some silly grass muyloco

(R-TX)
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7719370 01/16/20 07:57 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
The wife and I were pig hunting in a 16 ft tower blind one night. A few hours after dark (11:00ish) we heard the sounds of foot steps coming up the blind stairs, the blind even shook like it would when someone was coming up.
We both immediately turned lights and guns toward the door and out the window next to it, it stopped, nothing was there. We when back to camp right away.
The same night. After settling in the cabin, about 2:30 we here a Ranger (Gator, Mule, whatever) drive right by the cabin. about 10 minutes later it passed again.
Only my brother was out there that weekend and he swore he slept all night and wasn't out and about.
We stay at that ranch 20 weekends a year. We have never had anything happen like that ever again.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: TCM3] #7719572 01/16/20 03:35 PM
M
Machintis Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by TCM3

About 2 years ago, Me and brother were out night hunting for pigs, we had corn out in a 40 yard by 40 yard clearing , and we were in a tree stand roughly 25 feet up, about 11:30 PM.
About 20 yards behind us we hear footsteps, not like a quadpedal or hooved animal. But like you would hear a human walking , so we readied our weapons,
Looking at my watch it's now 11:38 and we are still hearing movement behind us just lingering in one spot.... But moving closer, I look at my watch again, 11:41PM, foot steps come right underneath us, but off to the right about 5 feet. We are sitting in the stand like statues with our hearts going 300MPH, then comes the stinch. It's not pig stinch, it's like a skunk, shoved up a rotting carcass, the steps proceed around behind the stand and stop again about 15 feet behind us, and we hear breathing, it's not one of us, it's like breathing when your sick, and have gunk in your lungs like raspy breathing.
It's almost midnight now, so 30 minutes of this being circling us, it finally makes its way to the north, which is where Camp creek runs through and provides a good waterway as it is not very deep.
We wasted no time gathering our gear and bolting to his Truck 100 yards away. I bet not even the fastest NFL receiver could have out ran us that night.

what was it? I don't know. At the time I always thought of Bigfoot as a fake figment of imaginations.
After that, I wasn't so cold hearted.

It's also strange to me as we have always found nice healthy tree branches snapped for no apparent reason along trails or near creeks, we also run cows, and there have often been occasions when we go feed, they will look at the tree line and throw their head up like they see something.
And sometimes we'll get over there and they are all spooked and jumpy.
I'm not saying there is a Bigfoot , but I can certainly say I do not doubt it.

I do not go into the woods there now without a rifle, or I always carry Buckshot or Slugs with me if I'm dove hunting.
I can say I was truly scared.

That certainly is wierd, but I believe you. I was on a hunting property in East Texas and heard this strange whoop. I kinda looked around and panned with my flashlight and then heard this weird snarl. Like something was saying get out of here. I quickly exited the scene. I could have dismissed the whoop I guess but the fact that they were back to back was weird. Of course I did not see or smell anything. May have been nothing but a hog (Not sure the make a whoop noise though). I am not an expert on Bigfoot, but you should check out the Sasquatch Chronicles podcast. Might make you feel better anyway. Lots of stories from hunters on it. I am not sure if it is legit, but it seems to be.

Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: LFD2037] #7719577 01/16/20 03:38 PM
M
Machintis Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by LFD2037
A cougar, which sounds like a woman or child screaming.
One sound I still don't know what it was. It was about 4pm. 2 of us sitting in a crappy blind that had no door or roof. It was very quiet then this sound started. It sounded like someone positioning their lips like sucking thru a straw. It started quiet & slow but gradually (over about 2-3 seconds) got faster & louder. Something similar to a jet breaking the sound barrier by the end of it. It became insanely loud, almost so loud it hurt our ears. Crazy sound.

Never heard that in the woods, but if I did I would probably have to change my drawers! LOL!

Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Slow Drifter] #7719585 01/16/20 03:42 PM
M
Machintis Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by Slow Drifter

I am from Arkansas. People used to say you were never alone in the woods there. Lots of strange folks in the hills. I remember there was a Springfest in Fayetteville and I went. Some of the people from the small towns in the area came out. Man.....some of those folks were just as you described. Probably nice people though smile

Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7719587 01/16/20 03:43 PM
L
lmd59 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
It was the first occasion I was permitted to go deer hunting with my father. I was ten years old. Getting up before sunrise, eating a quick breakfast and walking deep into the woods was something I had dreamed about for a couple of years. My father and I trudged through the foot-deep snow for about a mile. We left the trail, crossed a small creek, and climbed a steep bank near a tree that had fallen years before. My Dad cleared snow from the log and motioned for me to sit down. I watched all of my father's movements from the turn of his head to the shuffling of his feet, moving the snow away from his boots. I followed my father's lead and cleared the snow near my feet.
The woods were quieted by a heavy snowfall and windless morning. The silence was almost frightening, but fear did not come easy in the presence of my father, a man with tremendous internal and physical strength. I felt warm and safe next to him.
I was beginning to daydream when I saw three shadowy figures making their way through the snowy woods. As they got closer I noticed that two were men, one old, one young, and one was a small child. All were poorly dressed in ragged coats and trousers. I looked toward my father and then heard a terrifying "chink-ching". It was a sound I would never forget. Although I have heard it many times since then, the eerie sound of metal hands opening and closing still sends a chill through my body. The "hunters" coming through the woods were three brothers, the two older ones had their hands and forearms "burnt off" when they cut an electrical line on a generator at the coal mines they were attempting to steal copper from. The two older brothers each were missing one hand. They had mechanical hands, really hooks, attached around the elbow. Miraculously, they could still hold a rifle and shoot a deer. My dad knew the brothers and I went to school with the younger one. They were some scary looking dudes, especially to a 10 year old sitting in the dark woods.

Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7719691 01/16/20 05:09 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Peacocks!

Neighbors where I hunt used to have Guinea Hens, Peacocks, and a Monkey running around.
The Peacocks sound something like a baby screaming, and it was a weird thing to hear in the woods at night the first time.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7719723 01/16/20 05:25 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
3 or 4 years ago - sitting in blind on a very still and cloudy morning. This was not an animal sound, but more a mechanical sound from high above. Metallic like a jet engine, but it was not constant, and would fade in and out, but the pulses kept getting louder as it approached and then passed overhead. From the first time I heard it to my east, until it passed and the sound was gone to the west was no more than 30 seconds. I've read and seen videos of TS military projects, and I am convinced this was some type of airplane.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7719748 01/16/20 05:54 PM
M
MW1962 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
M
Heard what I thought was an Elephant one morning down in Cass County, turned out to be an Elephant on the property next door (Carnival Animals) Wasn't scared just knew I didn't have a big enough gun ...LOL!!

Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Dalroo] #7719885 01/16/20 08:05 PM
M
Machintis Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by Dalroo
3 or 4 years ago - sitting in blind on a very still and cloudy morning. This was not an animal sound, but more a mechanical sound from high above. Metallic like a jet engine, but it was not constant, and would fade in and out, but the pulses kept getting louder as it approached and then passed overhead. From the first time I heard it to my east, until it passed and the sound was gone to the west was no more than 30 seconds. I've read and seen videos of TS military projects, and I am convinced this was some type of airplane.

Makes you wonder what is going on out there. I guess you never saw anything though. What a strange sound. I wonder why the government would make something that sounded like that. Of course if it was a UFO would it make sound at all? I think you are right, sounds like a secret military project of some sort.

Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7719929 01/16/20 09:16 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I think I posted on another thread of similar topic ... years ago, mid-late 1960s, when i was probably 8-10 years old, my uncle used to take me varmint hunting as coon hides would bring $2 for a good hide without rubs. He took me out west of Lake Buchanan on hwy 29 where it parallels the Llano river. We pulled over on the shoulder and climbed the fence, under the railroad trestle to the banks of the river. We headed west with a dim 6Vdc headlamp and an open sight bolt action 22 of his. We had walked a couple of miles or so in pitch black up the river bed without seeing any eyes when there was the most God awful scream / squall that made the hair on every part of my body stand on end. He stopped dead in his tracks. We heard this noise again and again several times and it sounded really close and really loud. He got really antsy and said we need to get out of here now. We made our way back to the next trestle, back over the fence and then hot footed it back down the side of hwy 29 to his car. I had no clue what was going on but once we got in the car he said it was either a bobcat or mountain lion, and he had no desire to meet up with either in the dark with only that little dim headlight and 22. A few weeks later one of the ranch hands on the Fitzsimons Ranch killed a big male mountain lion and missed a big female not too far from where we were. Not sure that's what we heard or a bobcat, but it really spooked me and him.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: Machintis] #7720168 01/17/20 12:25 AM
V
Vern1 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
V
I was fixing fence down by the creek and only had a Ruger 22 semi auto pistol on my hip.
I have a 5 wire Barbed wire fence with a 2 wire electric on the inside and was down near the ground clearing weeds off bottom strand of electric fence.
It was about this time of the year so the leaves were on the ground and pretty thick.
I kept hearing something shuffling in the leaves and making a strange noise.
I thought it was an armadillo or something hunting for grubs and went back to work.

I had my back turned away working on fence when it got a little nearer, rustled some leaves and I swear sounded like a deep guttural growl.
This really got my attention and unnerved me completely as I turned around and I still didn't see anything.
I looked around for a few minutes and saw nothing so I turned back around and started working on fence again with my machete all the while wondering what was stalking me.
It got about 10 feet and did the growl again just as I started to turn around.
I was still down on my knees with machete in one hand and Ruger in other when I spun around and came eye to eye with an Emu and for an instant it was a near leg-wetting experience.
Some time later we heard there were some folks in my area that found out they weren't gonna be millionaires raising them and just turned them lose after they lost money.
I only saw 1 or 2 of them a few times before something got them.

Look at some videos of Emus "drumming" and you will know how unnerving that could be if you don't know what it is.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7720200 01/17/20 12:53 AM
M
Michael W. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
A mountain lion screaming like a woman right at dark when I was about 13 ...I made tracks straight back to the house.

I heard one about 30 yrs. ago. The most eerie scream I have ever heard. Sitting around a fire one night about 9:30. Made the hair on my neck stand up.

A clear conscience is often the sign of a fuzzy memory.
Re: Weirdest sound or thing you have seen in the woods [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7720201 01/17/20 12:54 AM
M
Michael W. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

I heard one about 30 yrs. ago. The most eerie scream I have ever heard. Sitting around a fire one night about 9:30. Made the hair on my neck stand up. Couple nights later I talked to a neighbor and he lost 2 dogs that night. Both torn up.

A clear conscience is often the sign of a fuzzy memory.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide