Print Thread
Thoughts on muzzle brakes at shooting matches? #7699738 12/27/19 04:37 PM
O
okstatefan Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
O
I have never been to a long-range match and would like that to change before next summer. I am assembling the parts I need for a very modest rifle and started thinking about muzzle brake pros and cons. The obvious is that not anyone else is going to enjoy that brake except the shooter. Being that this rifle is a 6.5CM, I don't really need a brake for recoil sensitivity. However, I do like the other advantages of low muzzle rise and felt recoil.

From y'alls experience, how do you feel about them? Do you use them? Do you cringe when you hear one blast from a large magnum down the line?

Re: Thoughts on muzzle brakes at shooting matches? [Re: okstatefan] #7699761 12/27/19 04:59 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
They suck.... 2cents

Buy a can....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Thoughts on muzzle brakes at shooting matches? [Re: okstatefan] #7699776 12/27/19 05:06 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
All the competition shooters will be wearing good hearing protection and depending on type of competition most will be using muzzle brakes if they are allowed...... brakes allow the shooter to see hits and misses better than Suppressors so keep that in mind as well.
I use Suppressor when hunting but prefer a brake when shooting in general with non hunting rifles.

Also really good self timing brakes that are available now make it very easy to swap from brake to no brake in seconds.

Last edited by DStroud; 12/27/19 05:09 PM.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Thoughts on muzzle brakes at shooting matches? [Re: okstatefan] #7699824 12/27/19 06:00 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Use a brake. You will be able to stay on target better. Most of the guys at the match/s will be using one.

Re: Thoughts on muzzle brakes at shooting matches? [Re: okstatefan] #7699831 12/27/19 06:14 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I don’t long range, but everyone in 3 gun has one....

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Thoughts on muzzle brakes at shooting matches? [Re: okstatefan] #7699876 12/27/19 07:00 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Use a brake. When I first started off I used a suppressor and switched to a brake when I built my new gun. That extra 8+ inches and 1-2pounds of suppressor hanging off the end isn’t too fun to change positions with like on a barricade.

You’ll be wearing ear pro anyway because the other shooters will not be running suppressors so really no advantage in competition shooting.

[Linked Image]

Re: Thoughts on muzzle brakes at shooting matches? [Re: okstatefan] #7699894 12/27/19 07:29 PM
A
AZ_Hunter_2000 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
I despise breaks. First, no matter the hearing protection you are doing permanent damage to your ears and those around you. Second, with foam inserts and "over the ears" hearing protection, it still hurts my ears.

I get their purpose and value from a competition perspective. I honestly would look at weight, load, and a Limbsaver to address any needs related to staying on target during and after the shot. However, your shooting skills and competitive drive should never trump your hearing.

I never understood their value from a hunting perspective. This may be harsh, but either suck it up and learn to handle the recoil or drop down in caliber/velocity that you can handle. We all have our recoil limit and should adjust accordingly. For example, I'm pretty recoil tolerant for shoulder-mounted firearms while my friend (big guy) is the opposite. This same guy has no problem shooting hand cannons while a 9mm is about it for me (that I can shoot accurately and quickly).

The above are my personal opinions.

Re: Thoughts on muzzle brakes at shooting matches? [Re: AZ_Hunter_2000] #7699906 12/27/19 07:52 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by AZ_Hunter_2000
I despise breaks. First, no matter the hearing protection you are doing permanent damage to your ears and those around you. Second, with foam inserts and "over the ears" hearing protection, it still hurts my ears.

I get their purpose and value from a competition perspective. I honestly would look at weight, load, and a Limbsaver to address any needs related to staying on target during and after the shot. However, your shooting skills and competitive drive should never trump your hearing.

I never understood their value from a hunting perspective. This may be harsh, but either suck it up and learn to handle the recoil or drop down in caliber/velocity that you can handle. We all have our recoil limit and should adjust accordingly. For example, I'm pretty recoil tolerant for shoulder-mounted firearms while my friend (big guy) is the opposite. This same guy has no problem shooting hand cannons while a 9mm is about it for me (that I can shoot accurately and quickly).

They’re great for hunting too.. you can see exactly where the bullet goes because the muzzle doesn’t move.

And yes I carry ear muffs with me when I hunt.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Thoughts on muzzle brakes at shooting matches? [Re: okstatefan] #7699965 12/27/19 09:26 PM
O
okstatefan Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
O
Thanks for the replies. I didn't want to show up and be "that guy".

I ask because I had never owned a muzzle brake before. A few flash hiders on plinking sporting rifles, but nothing else. I, just Christmas, installed a VG6 Gamma on a different rifle, but won't get it out until Monday. If it works as well as advertised, I'd like to put one on this rifle as well.

Re: Thoughts on muzzle brakes at shooting matches? [Re: okstatefan] #7700141 12/28/19 01:07 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Just make sure folks are aware when you are shooting so they can be protected. I've only been to one match and was there in a non-shooting capacity. After the match a couple of guys wanted to do a little more shooting and started busting caps without alerting everyone else who had already packed away their rifles and hearing protection....my only experience with breaks but it was not a good one....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Thoughts on muzzle brakes at shooting matches? [Re: okstatefan] #7700213 12/28/19 02:28 AM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I shot 3yrs with a break and I'll not do it again. It got to the point that the concussion and dust would cause a sinus infection after 2 days.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Thoughts on muzzle brakes at shooting matches? [Re: AZ_Hunter_2000] #7700215 12/28/19 02:30 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by AZ_Hunter_2000

You ever shot a big tough, long range match? 25 mph wind, odd positions, small targets from 20 to 1200 yards, and when you miss, the R.O. does not say a word, because it is your job to see where your bullet goes, and make an appropriate correction less than a second after your bullet splashed. Your "suck it up" statement will cost you hits, and therefore cost you points pushing you down the scoreboard. Pretty much everyone runs a brake for the reasons I mentioned. And the "permanent hearing damage" statement is false. Hearing protection exists for a reason, and thousands of rounds later, shooting braked rifles weekly, I have no hearing damage and no tinnitus.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Thoughts on muzzle brakes at shooting matches? [Re: okstatefan] #7700251 12/28/19 03:11 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
My newest brake is much nicer than my last one grin

[Linked Image]
Re: Thoughts on muzzle brakes at shooting matches? [Re: okstatefan] #7700307 12/28/19 04:44 AM
S
Scott W Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
In my limited experience, about 5% of competitors use cans and 95% use muzzle brakes for the reasons described above. Everyone has ear protection, many will double up on it.

Check out my signature line and click the link. Here it is in action. I've met and shot with the guy the designed it. He's a great guy and a really good shooter!

Originally Posted by Scott W
Re: Thoughts on muzzle brakes at shooting matches? [Re: okstatefan] #7700466 12/28/19 05:10 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
you stated you want to shoot in "long range" matches. If you are shooting NRA sanctioned matches (F-Class), etc. If I remember Muzzle Brakes are not allowed.

I think PRS "type" matches they are ok to use.

Also, don't be fooled when you read horizontal breaks dont kick up dust while shooting prone. This is pure bs if you are shooting over dirt any brake will kick up dust......

i have both and prefer a radial . The big "tank looking" brakes are FUGLY

go apply for your suppressor , bite the bullet.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Thoughts on muzzle brakes at shooting matches? [Re: okstatefan] #7700503 12/28/19 05:39 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Buzz when’s the last time you shot over dirt? As in prone.

Re: Thoughts on muzzle brakes at shooting matches? [Re: okstatefan] #7700507 12/28/19 05:44 PM
B
Big Fitz Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
As others have said they do help with identifying where you hit allowing for corrections when needed. Really helpful in practice with the wind.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Thoughts on muzzle brakes at shooting matches? [Re: wp75169] #7700530 12/28/19 06:10 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by wp75169
Buzz when’s the last time you shot over dirt? As in prone.

over dirt?? at Jasons few years back. wait it was over grass. He77, I guess it was back in my younger days shooting F-Class at Ft Wolters. I watch allot of Youtube though confused2

SPACE FOR RENT

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide