Re: I have Questions. [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7697880 12/25/19 12:02 AM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
I’d keep it at 6.8 and go at least 18” and push it hard. Should be lethal to 300 on pigs deer and yotes!

Kinda think I'm going this route after thinking about it more. McGowen prefit barrels any good? They have 10% off right now.

I'm looking for a light recoil suppressed hunter, not a target rifle.

Re: I have Questions. [Re: scottfromdallas] #7697892 12/25/19 12:14 AM
E
Eyesofahunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Try some pressure on barrel right where it leave the stock. Electrical tape is what I start with during testing, if it works then I replace tape with a spot of bedding compound on the stock.

Re: I have Questions. [Re: timbertoes] #7697897 12/25/19 12:27 AM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by timbertoes
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

. Tried different ammo.

Reloading, Sir ?? if not then... you should be. smile

Yes, tried reloads as well. Replacing the barrel allows me to go threaded and suppressed. The current barrel is only .525 at the end.

Re: I have Questions. [Re: scottfromdallas] #7697921 12/25/19 01:18 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Sounds like you want a new barrel, so get one.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: I have Questions. [Re: scottfromdallas] #7697965 12/25/19 02:52 AM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H

McGowen prefit barrels any good? They have 10% off right now.

I know a few guys who are running McGowens on "budget" builds. I also know quite a few who used McGowens on their switch barrel Savages. Never heard a complaint about them in terms of accuracy. If you are sticking with 6.8, then McGowen or X-Caliber might be good for you. X-Caliber doesn't do Ruger pre-fits for the M77, but you can get a contoured blank from them for a reasonable price (25% off right now) and then have your smith thread and chamber.

#FighttheNoise
Re: I have Questions. [Re: scottfromdallas] #7697981 12/25/19 03:09 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Keep the 6.8

Re: I have Questions. [Re: HandgunHTR] #7697983 12/25/19 03:12 AM
M
mulish Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Whoever you use I would make sure that they are licensed properly to do this work. There are guys out there without the proper license's doing gunsmith work and that is very unfair to the gunsmiths that are doing it legally with all the proper licenses. There are gun shops that have been shut down the last couple of years ,or had to suspend business for months due to no license or the the the improper license. Apparently the ATF has been cracking down in the area . It's a pain if you get your gun tied up in that mess .

Re: I have Questions. [Re: mulish] #7698151 12/25/19 02:30 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by mulish
Whoever you use I would make sure that they are licensed properly to do this work. There are guys out there without the proper license's doing gunsmith work and that is very unfair to the gunsmiths that are doing it legally with all the proper licenses. There are gun shops that have been shut down the last couple of years ,or had to suspend business for months due to no license or the the the improper license. Apparently the ATF has been cracking down in the area . It's a pain if you get your gun tied up in that mess .

Completely agree. I'll probably just order a pre-fit and see if I can get a recommendation for a gunsmith in the area to screw it in.

Re: I have Questions. [Re: scottfromdallas] #7698161 12/25/19 02:41 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Completely agree. I'll probably just order a pre-fit and see if I can get a recommendation for a gunsmith in the area to screw it in.

For several years, there was things I was being asked if I could do, and yes I had the ability but it wouldn't have technically been legal per ATF, so I had to turn down that work. This past June I got my 07 FFL, which is a manufacturer of firearms and ammunition. It was not what I applied for, and the super helpful ATF investigator that called me, suggested the 07 gives me more latitude, and would be a better path to take. I thanked him for it. And it sure did make me busier last year, and the ability to do more than just the teaching stuff, which I am also still doing of course. There are lots of rules I have to follow, but the bit of extra work and documentation has been worth it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: I have Questions. [Re: J.G.] #7698713 12/26/19 03:55 AM
M
mulish Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

For several years, there was things I was being asked if I could do, and yes I had the ability but it wouldn't have technically been legal per ATF, so I had to turn down that work. This past June I got my 07 FFL, which is a manufacturer of firearms and ammunition. It was not what I applied for, and the super helpful ATF investigator that called me, suggested the 07 gives me more latitude, and would be a better path to take. I thanked him for it. And it sure did make me busier last year, and the ability to do more than just the teaching stuff, which I am also still doing of course. There are lots of rules I have to follow, but the bit of extra work and documentation has been worth it.

Does that mean the person doing the lathe work also has the proper license.

Re: I have Questions. [Re: scottfromdallas] #7698845 12/26/19 01:40 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
JG,

I wasn't referring to you. I know you build customer target rifles now. I'm just looking for a barrel swap. I'm referring to when you look for a gunsmith in the area, you get a list but when you dig a little deeper, they can only install a drop in trigger and mount your scope.

Re: I have Questions. [Re: mulish] #7699053 12/26/19 06:18 PM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H

Does that mean the person doing the lathe work also has the proper license.

The person running the lathe doesn't need a license. The license is only required for intake and "possession" of the firearm while it is being worked on. I know one very reputable gunsmith (the guy with the license) who only does stock work. The guy in his shop that runs the lathes is an amazing machinist and does superb work. His name is nowhere on the FFL, nor does it have to be.

#FighttheNoise
Re: I have Questions. [Re: scottfromdallas] #7699216 12/26/19 10:10 PM
M
mulish Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
You are correct the man running the lathe has to be on the premises of the license address. If he is not at that address with the lathe then he has to have a license to work on that gun.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide