Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7685135 12/10/19 03:14 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Killing a 14 pt. buck near a feeder would be just as rewarding as taking one elsewhere. How did those food plots do without rainfall...200 acres are 2000, too many variables.

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7685148 12/10/19 03:23 PM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
Rattling was always my main hunt method and it was as always a timing thing....NOTHING more blood pumping than rattling when bucks are really juiced...plus I loved fence crossings, just sit n watch an hour then move on....
I don’t shoot anymore but love teaming up with teenage grandson. I rattle he watches.
I must say I have access to our family property plus other large parcels....I understand the feed hunting on small acreage without the freedom of lotsa roaming country...
As always, size matters I reckon smile ani

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7685155 12/10/19 03:30 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
So, you folks that sit on feeders, do you put a chair on top or just sit on the feeder lid. Seems kind of a strange way to do it.

I assume you wear full camo hoping the deer don't notice.

Here I thought most people liked sitting in a box with windows or cut outs so they could see a feeder 80 - 200 yards away.

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: dogcatcher] #7685160 12/10/19 03:32 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
With the deer population in Texas, if it wasn't for the feeders, there wouldn't be the healthy deer population that we have today. Those millions of pounds of corn that us fed are the reason for today's generous deer limits.

That's not true and I'm not sure what to tell you if you honestly believe that. The bag limit has been 5 for a long time now and there weren't nearly the number of feeders back when they set that. The deer explosion in Texas coincides with the elimination of the screw worm and today is fostered more by fewer people ranching small animals (sheep/goats). There's been a reduction in sheep and goats of several million head over the last 30 years. That leaves a lot of open country for deer to live.

Over 500 million pounds of deer corn sold in 2010. Tell me that has no basis on the deer population.

I often wonder if all the corn being scattered each year is benefiting feral hogs a lot more than it is deer.

Biologists will tell you corn really doesn't impact deer OR hog numbers near as much as the availability of natural browse. Still, my common sense tells me an animal capable of producing multiple litters of six to eight (with 10 making it) benefits more greatly from supplemental feeding than one that produces no more than one or two (on average) in that same time frame. I also strongly suspect the mortality rate for feral hogs is a fraction of that for deer.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 12/10/19 05:14 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Rustler] #7685176 12/10/19 03:39 PM
J
jadkins Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted by Rustler
So, you folks that sit on feeders, do you put a chair on top or just sit on the feeder lid. Seems kind of a strange way to do it.

Here I thought most people liked sitting in a box with windows or cut outs so they could see a feeder 80 - 200 yards away.

Well...I guess I technically sit "in" the feeder...then when the deer get close to the corn I jump out with a knife. Harvesting them with a knife is the only way I can live with myself as I'm attracting them with bait.

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7685182 12/10/19 03:41 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
With the deer population in Texas, if it wasn't for the feeders, there wouldn't be the healthy deer population that we have today. Those millions of pounds of corn that us fed are the reason for today's generous deer limits.

That's not true and I'm not sure what to tell you if you honestly believe that. The bag limit has been 5 for a long time now and there weren't nearly the number of feeders back when they set that. The deer explosion in Texas coincides with the elimination of the screw worm and today is fostered more by fewer people ranching small animals (sheep/goats). There's been a reduction in sheep and goats of several million head over the last 30 years. That leaves a lot of open country for deer to live.

Over 500 million pounds of deer corn sold in 2010. Tell me that has no basis on the deer population.

Very little, honestly. You're trading one food source for another. If they're eating corn they're not eating other browse. Corn is not a great food source. It's low on nutrients and protein. Also, selling 500 MM pounds doesn't mean it was all fed to deer.

However, you remove 5 million mouths that eat ~3lbs of forage a day, and you increase the available forage by 5.5 billion pounds per year. Most of those mouths were goats which ate many of the same things as deer.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Rustler] #7685204 12/10/19 04:00 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Rustler

Funny, but on a serious note I bet I could have gotten away with sitting on top of the feeder before Anthrax hit our place. It was damn near a petting zoo

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7685488 12/10/19 08:32 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Me and my BIL just got access to a 200 acre place about 5 minutes from the house. Owner has owned it for 30 years and it has never been hunted. Surrounding properties don't hunt and there's about 4 high fence places within a mile or two. Main goal for us was to shoot/trap pigs for the LO, but he said we are absolutely expected to shoot some deer since they've been tearing up his garden as well. His only requirement was that we cannot use feeders because he doesn't want to attract any more pigs since he's covered up.

I didn't get to go scout it, but my BIL did briefly. He saw 15 does in an hour - which is a bunch for our part of VZ county. Too bad doe season is closed. I'm guessing the rut is all but over, so I figure we'll set up on a high spot overlooking a highline where there is kind of a pinch point with a ton of trails converging around a small mud hole of a pond. If that doesn't work we'll probably set up on a little ridge that looks down into about a 2 acre oak bottom that my BIL said was loaded up with acorns. There are almost too many good looking spots - mainly funnels - on this property to make a choice. Could be great or could be just a pig shoot.

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7685491 12/10/19 08:34 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I don't hunt a feeder when I rattle.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7685573 12/10/19 09:55 PM
K
kk66 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
I dont use feeders, I'm not a huge beleiver in them as I've saw more mature bucks away from them than I ever have at one and really don't want to deal with the hassle of keeping one filled. Our place is about 400 acres in east texas. Deer will use the same trails and travel corridors year after year, find a good pinch point and set up on it just like you would a feeder.

My favorite way to hunt them is to still hunt them though, I dont' do it often as I don't want to leave scent around but If I know I'm not going to be at the place for several weeks after a hunt i'll do it.

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7685612 12/10/19 10:42 PM
F
Ftttu Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Most of my hunting was done in the national forest so that translates to me picking a tree and hoping it is the right tree. I have also hunted private lands over the years in blinds with a feeder, but many times I've hunted similarly to my national forest hunts - finding a tree. I don't really have to spell it out, but i will I was way more successful hunting a blind/feeder than ambush hunting while sitting at the base of a tree in the forest.

Again, this is my first year back after a 30 year hiatus so I will be looking for private lands in addition to putting in for drawn hunts next season. I am hunting tomorrow in the national forest my last time this season, but i don't expect a kill due it being late in the season and the moon phase. However, if 'Mr. Big' doesn't show his face again like he did earlier in the season, hopefully a nice sized spike pops up. To add, I wouldn't mind the pigs from my last hunt to show themselves during the day so I can get them back for their attack on me a few weeks ago.

Retired!
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7688648 12/14/19 02:35 PM
A
ASUhunter21 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
I have always hunted feeders in Texas and am looking to hunt Oklahoma next year. I might be forced to hunt hand corn because of black bear. But agree with hunting choke points, acorns, and crossings. I’m prolly gonna get a dose of it next year

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7688868 12/14/19 07:53 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Great thread for bringing out the self-righteous, bi-polar and otherwise. I hunt in a box overlooking a feeder. Don't have any qualms about it whatsoever. I've also hunted "free-range", spot and stalk, still-hunting, whatever you want to call it on a million+ acres with no fence beyond that, many more times than once on another continent. I've baited for leopard and hyena (more than once). And hunted inside a 10K acre high-fence "pen" for WT and mule deer. It's all hunting, no matter what these guys compensating for something tell you. And I don't harvest anything. I'm not a farmer. I kill stuff.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7689002 12/14/19 11:06 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
LOL I love all these jacks taking offense to people making proper use of words. Words don't mean what you want them to mean just because you want it ....

Cambridge Dictionary:

"Hunt" means "to chase and try to catch and kill an animal or bird for food, sport, or profit"
"Harvest" means "to pick and collect crops, or to collect plants, animals, or fish to eat"

Oxford Dictionary:

"Hunt" means "pursue and kill (a wild animal) for sport or food."
"Harvest" means "a quantity of animals caught or killed for human use."

Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

"Hunt" means " to pursue for food or in sport "
"Harvest" means "to gather, catch, hunt, or kill (salmon, oysters, deer, etc.) for human use, sport, or population control"

Notice the key feature of the word "HUNT" is "pursue" or "chase".

There is no definition of the word "Hunt" that covers sitting in a box and shooting a deer at a feeder... however, that act falls squarely within many of the definitions of "Harvest".

So, this has nothing to do with being " ...self-righteous, bi-polar and otherwise" or "...these guys compensating for something ..." It has to do with using the proper words to describe peoples actions. And you sir, sitting in a blind - which there is nothing wrong with - are harvesting animals, not hunting them. No one here using proper words to describe peoples actions is talking down to anyone and/or acting superior ... that non-sense is all in your head. Now stop being an easily offended snowflake.

Last edited by Binary; 12/14/19 11:32 PM.
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7689327 12/15/19 12:14 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Binary
LOL I love all these jacks taking offense to people making proper use of words. Words don't mean what you want them to mean just because you want it ....

Cambridge Dictionary:

"Hunt" means "to chase and try to catch and kill an animal or bird for food, sport, or profit"
"Harvest" means "to pick and collect crops, or to collect plants, animals, or fish to eat"

Oxford Dictionary:

"Harvest" means "to gather, catch, hunt, or kill (salmon, oysters, deer, etc.) for human use, sport, or population control"

There is no definition of the word "Hunt" that covers sitting in a box and shooting a deer at a feeder... however, that act falls squarely within many of the definitions of "Harvest".

So, this has nothing to do with being " ...self-righteous, bi-polar and otherwise" or "...these guys compensating for something ..." It has to do with using the proper words to describe peoples actions. And you sir, sitting in a blind - which there is nothing wrong with - are harvesting animals, not hunting them. No one here using proper words to describe peoples actions is talking down to anyone and/or acting superior ... that non-sense is all in your head. Now stop being an easily offended snowflake.

You really do have diarrhea of the mouth....I will call my hunting such regardless of your definition....pay attention this is the important part......nobody on this forum gives a sh!t about your definition of hunting...... nidea

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Creekrunner] #7689345 12/15/19 01:13 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
And I don't harvest anything. I'm not a farmer. I kill stuff.

People use the highest order of thought when speaking of their intentions. They "kill" rats, cockroaches, wasps, and other nuisance critters because they want them dead. They "catch" fish they intend to eat, including those times when they intend to throw them back. They "pick" fruits and vegetables, and "harvest" other food sources from plants that are often killed and destroyed afterwards.

I can't say I ever remember someone saying to be me, "Hey, let's go kill some deer." They have always said something along the lines of "Let's go hunt some deer". Unless you're talking about something you have no intention of eating or just doing it for the thrill, "killing" is never the primary focus.

Of course I could be wrong but suspect hunters began referring to deer they had killed as being their "harvest" to make it more apparent to the non-hunting majority of their true and more ethical intentions.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 12/15/19 01:25 PM.

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Texas Dan] #7689351 12/15/19 01:23 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

People use the highest order of thought when speaking of their intentions.

So guys out for a night on the town would say "Let's go observe some exotic dancers," ?

I don't think so.

No man said "harvest" when I was a kid. It's a word we started using to try and placate the real snowflakes of this world.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Creekrunner] #7689372 12/15/19 01:53 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

So guys out for a night on the town would say "Let's go observe some exotic dancers," ?

I don't think so.

No man said "harvest" when I was a kid. It's a word we started using to try and placate the real snowflakes of this world.

If you brought home a dancer would that constitute a harvest? Or would it be nullified because it wasn’t a free range environment?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7689374 12/15/19 01:56 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
It would constitute suicide and man-slaughter, given the hostile environment you (or I) would be walking into. wife

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7689379 12/15/19 01:59 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I know guys who have climbed mountains and killed sheep and mountain goats, bugled in bull elk, stalked and shot big mule deer and killed bear and moose on the Alaskan tundra and they still, to this day shoot and kill deer under a feeder.

Guys need to get off their high horse and stop trying to make whitetail hunting something it’s not.

It’s a deer. I’ve killed more than a few deer with no feeders, whooptie doo! Nobody cares.

P.S

I’m typing this while in a pop up looking at a feeder 17 yards away

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7689405 12/15/19 02:34 PM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Binary

Cambridge Dictionary:

Oxford Dictionary:

Problem with this is once you stop moving to take your shot your’e sitting still and no longer pursuing.

[Linked Image]
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7689571 12/15/19 06:04 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
In today's world, all you need do is get enough people to agree with you to make anything become a truth. It makes absolutely no difference what has been done, said, written, or agreed upon in the past. It's an approach that has become the mantra of the Democratic Party.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 12/15/19 06:26 PM.

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7689745 12/15/19 10:12 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I remember hearing old men say that hunting with a scope “wasn’t real hunting”.

Before that, it was probably smokeless powder that “wasn’t real hunting”.

I guess there’s been self important know-it-alls since the cave man days.

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: maximus_flavius] #7689749 12/15/19 10:15 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
I remember hearing old men say that hunting with a scope “wasn’t real hunting”.

Before that, it was probably smokeless powder that “wasn’t real hunting”.

I guess there’s been self important know-it-alls since the cave man days.

up

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Creekrunner] #7689819 12/15/19 11:26 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

I don't think so.

I go to the pasture to KILL something that is in season to fill the freezer and ultimately feed my family.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide