Print Thread
hunt test #7687771 12/13/19 03:00 PM
A
Avian Assassins Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
I'm getting a new pup in just a few days and will start training him right away. I train my own dog and have had a couple of really good dogs in the past. I have never done any hunt test or field trials before with any of my past dogs. Never really cared too because I just use them to hunt. I have recently been looking more and more into hunt test and thinking about trying some with my new dog.

so with that said, I have a couple of questions for you hunt test vets/trainers.

1. I don't have any plans (at the moment) to breed my dog. is there a point in getting him his junior, senior, hopefully master titles if I don't really care to breed him?

2. I have had people approach me in the field a few times after seeing my dogs in the past and ask if I'd be willing to stud them out and I've always said no. But not apposed to doing so.
does the attaining of these titles just make the puppies more valuable? I just feel like the only reason I'd have to get the titles is for bragging rights with my buddies and to have some fun with my dog.

3. there is a junior and master hunt test tomorrow and sunday that's only about 30 minutes from my house and was thinking about going and checking it out. Anyone else ever go watch test just to see how it all works? is this a good idea to get a sense of what I'm getting into?

Any insight or tips on any of this would be greatly appreciated.

Re: hunt test [Re: Avian Assassins] #7687870 12/13/19 04:12 PM
H
huck18 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Avian Assassins
I'm getting a new pup in just a few days and will start training him right away. I train my own dog and have had a couple of really good dogs in the past. I have never done any hunt test or field trials before with any of my past dogs. Never really cared too because I just use them to hunt. I have recently been looking more and more into hunt test and thinking about trying some with my new dog.

so with that said, I have a couple of questions for you hunt test vets/trainers.

1. I don't have any plans (at the moment) to breed my dog. is there a point in getting him his junior, senior, hopefully master titles if I don't really care to breed him?

2. I have had people approach me in the field a few times after seeing my dogs in the past and ask if I'd be willing to stud them out and I've always said no. But not apposed to doing so.
does the attaining of these titles just make the puppies more valuable? I just feel like the only reason I'd have to get the titles is for bragging rights with my buddies and to have some fun with my dog.

3. there is a junior and master hunt test tomorrow and sunday that's only about 30 minutes from my house and was thinking about going and checking it out. Anyone else ever go watch test just to see how it all works? is this a good idea to get a sense of what I'm getting into?

1. Only you can answer that question. Getting titles shows your dogs level of training/work in the field and proves they can do it at a certain level. Really it's up to you if there's a point to that.
2. Yes, getting titles makes the pups more valuable. But to really get a stud dog that would be something special you would have to get into field trails, FC, AFC, etc...There are tons of titled hunt test dogs and most people paying a premium for a pup will want more than hunt test titles.
3. Yes, that's the only way to understand the game. Go watch and learn. It's a fun thing to see.

Really it's all about what you want. I ran a Boykin Spaniel in hunt test all the way up to the Master level in the retriever test, at the time my dog was the only spaniel in the state running at that level in retriever games. It was fun and I learned a lot, but it's not a money maker. You will spend WAY more trying to play the games then you will ever make back studding your dog out. So if you're trying to do it for a financial return on a stud dog you're wasting your time, but if you want to do it for personal achievement and fun then you should do it. It's a blast and I'm a much better dog trainer because of the all the people I met that helped me out along the way.

Re: hunt test [Re: Avian Assassins] #7687888 12/13/19 04:31 PM
W
wacoducks Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Honestly I have been thinking about getting into the HT Game just for a hobby. My BLF is spayed so breeding is out the window, but honestly that doesn't bother me at all. The ability to work as a team and see how far you can go is what is interesting to me. Who would've ever known that getting a gun dog would turn into such a hobby, I purchased her to be a meat dog, but here we are now seeing how far I can take her training.

Re: hunt test [Re: huck18] #7687899 12/13/19 04:47 PM
A
Avian Assassins Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted by huck18

1. Only you can answer that question. Getting titles shows your dogs level of training/work in the field and proves they can do it at a certain level. Really it's up to you if there's a point to that.
2. Yes, getting titles makes the pups more valuable. But to really get a stud dog that would be something special you would have to get into field trails, FC, AFC, etc...There are tons of titled hunt test dogs and most people paying a premium for a pup will want more than hunt test titles.
3. Yes, that's the only way to understand the game. Go watch and learn. It's a fun thing to see.

Really it's all about what you want. I ran a Boykin Spaniel in hunt test all the way up to the Master level in the retriever test, at the time my dog was the only spaniel in the state running at that level in retriever games. It was fun and I learned a lot, but it's not a money maker. You will spend WAY more trying to play the games then you will ever make back studding your dog out. So if you're trying to do it for a financial return on a stud dog you're wasting your time, but if you want to do it for personal achievement and fun then you should do it. It's a blast and I'm a much better dog trainer because of the all the people I met that helped me out along the way.

thanks for the input huck. I'm not looking to get rich or make any money for that matter on studding a dog out. I love labs, training labs, and watching really good working dogs. that's kinda been the driving force behind the curiosity of looking into hunt test. I'm just weighing my options on whether or not its going to be worth it to put in the time and money to travel around to different test around the state just to try and achieve a title that, in the end, wouldn't mean much if my only real goal is to have a great dog that I hunt myself.

I'm going to go check out the test this weekend and see what its all about.

Re: hunt test [Re: Avian Assassins] #7688540 12/14/19 12:01 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

1. I originally got into HTs as just s hobby because it's a lot of fun. It will increase your standards and you'll have a much better dog in the end. I'd say the vast majority of people who participate in HTs don't do it for breeding purposes.

2. Upper level HT titles like a GRHRCH and MNH can make a stud desirable. Before breeding both dogs should also be health tested with OFAs on hips, elbows and eyes along with genetic testing for EIC, CNM and PRA.

3. Definitely go check it out but I would also suggest checking out HRC. HRC tests are a lot of fun, more hunting type atmosphere and fun cookout/tailgate at the end of the day on Saturday.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide