Forums46
Topics536,986
Posts9,719,144
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: Derrick] #7673101 11/26/19 07:36 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Derrick, my apologies for this post seeming to turn into a pissing contest. Was not my intention. Like Brady said it’s not complicated stuff.

68A, sorry we got off on the wrong foot. Was not my intention.

Cochise: no pissing contest intended. Just an old bird hunter using the nomenclature that was used and the tactics passed down to me by my grandfather in the 1960’s back when I was a kid and we still hunted with his old cork decoys, to help out a young hunter who was struggling. Somehow that got changed into writing letters with my decoys by you and I called [censored]. All kinds of faceless people post all kinds of crap on the internet. I put up a few pics so the original poster and you do not see me as faceless. I am just an old bird hunter trying to share some things that work with a struggling hunter.
Insulting me liking to shoot a 410 in my old age is something I can laugh off.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: Derrick] #7673194 11/26/19 09:39 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I like to pod decoy set up. It worked for us 2 weekends ago. We actually abandoned our decoys when the sun got up, facing the sun, and birds were landing in them left and right. So no calling, just motion and it worked pretty well. And that hole was fairly small, so the decoys were on the edge and the middle was open water.

The circled x's were the motion decoys, with the one on the right being a spinning wing decoy.

But as everyone says, it's all about being in the right spot. Ducks will sit on each other when there is somewhere they want to be.
[Linked Image]

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: Smokey Bear] #7673245 11/26/19 10:41 PM
68A Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Derrick, my apologies for this post seeming to turn into a pissing contest. Was not my intention. Like Brady said it’s not complicated stuff.

68A, sorry we got off on the wrong foot. Was not my intention.

Cochise: no pissing contest intended. Just an old bird hunter using the nomenclature that was used and the tactics passed down to me by my grandfather in the 1960’s back when I was a kid and we still hunted with his old cork decoys, to help out a young hunter who was struggling. Somehow that got changed into writing letters with my decoys by you and I called [censored]. All kinds of faceless people post all kinds of crap on the internet. I put up a few pics so the original poster and you do not see me as faceless. I am just an old bird hunter trying to share some things that work with a struggling hunter.
Insulting me liking to shoot a 410 in my old age is something I can laugh off.

No worries. I think a lot can be misconstrued in written word and reading through I probably misinterpreted your original post that I was quoted in. Bottom line, if your method is proven for you, then who am I to say it’s wrong. I have my own methods that are proven for me. We may not agree, but that’s alright. Anyhow, keep knocking them down.

Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: Derrick] #7673582 11/27/19 04:25 AM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
These type of of responses / reply’s is the reason why 80% of old timers don’t post on this forum anymore.

It’s sad that a simple, but common occurrence in duck hunting isn’t just addressed with honesty.

Even the regulars refrain from posting successful hunts these days because of all the BS.

Supposed to be fun, and entertaining. Too bad the trolls have dominated this forum. Sarcasm has dominated. Not for me.

Last edited by Greekangler; 11/27/19 04:26 AM.

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: Derrick] #7673913 11/27/19 04:10 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Greek is right, thats why I dont post anymore, not worth the hassle. On top of that all these private land hunters pounding their chest like they are great hunters for a strap of birds. Go do that on public (a few here can, and props to those 3 guys) and get back with me.

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: Derrick] #7673941 11/27/19 04:34 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I was about to agree with Greek till he went after sarcasm. That's my middle name

Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: Derrick] #7673959 11/27/19 04:54 PM
J
jnd59 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
It's just ducks. It's not like we're talking about real stuff... Like specklebellies or something

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: Derrick] #7674048 11/27/19 06:48 PM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
A decoy spread does matter. However, I have found being in the right spot matters more. Here is an example. I was about to set out on the lake for an afternoon hunt. I watched the birds, and observed some of them kept flying into a narrow channel. It was getting late, and I was pressed for time. I set up on the channel, and shot several ducks. No decoys. This does not work every time, but the key is to know where the ducks go, and be flexible. Other ducks were rafting in the middle of the lake. On a more important note, the best thing about hunting is to get out, enjoy yourself, and have a good time. The game harvested is a bonus.

Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: garrett] #7674057 11/27/19 07:01 PM
68A Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by garrett
Greek is right, thats why I dont post anymore, not worth the hassle. On top of that all these private land hunters pounding their chest like they are great hunters for a strap of birds. Go do that on public (a few here can, and props to those 3 guys) and get back with me.

Been doing it for awhile, I’m getting back to you.

Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: Greekangler] #7674064 11/27/19 07:10 PM
N
NeKro Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
Originally Posted by Greekangler
These type of of responses / reply’s is the reason why 80% of old timers don’t post on this forum anymore.

It’s sad that a simple, but common occurrence in duck hunting isn’t just addressed with honesty.

Even the regulars refrain from posting successful hunts these days because of all the BS.

Supposed to be fun, and entertaining. Too bad the trolls have dominated this forum. Sarcasm has dominated. Not for me.

This. I am brand new hunter, I'm 32 left the Comiforina 3 years ago and was the best thing to happen to me. I always fished so fishing forums were very helpful growing up and still are now, they won't post their honey holes but lead you in the right direction. I find it very hard to get good solid help when it comes to hunting. One person took me dove hunting from this site back in September and I became hooked, if it wasn't for him I most likely wouldn't have gone out. I now want to learn duck hunting but I know asking for advise is like making a deal with the devil. I plan to get some decoys and go to some public land spots and try it out around central Texas. Im sure I will be frustrated this season and probably won't see a damn duck as I have no idea what im doing lol

Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: Greekangler] #7674212 11/27/19 10:54 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Greekangler

Greekangler, I like your style.

Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: KWood_TSU] #7674623 11/28/19 02:07 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
I like to pod decoy set up. It worked for us 2 weekends ago. We actually abandoned our decoys when the sun got up, facing the sun, and birds were landing in them left and right. So no calling, just motion and it worked pretty well. And that hole was fairly small, so the decoys were on the edge and the middle was open water.

The circled x's were the motion decoys, with the one on the right being a spinning wing decoy.

But as everyone says, it's all about being in the right spot. Ducks will sit on each other when there is somewhere they want to be.
[Linked Image]

Very helpful picture and explanation. Thank you.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: Derrick] #7674785 11/28/19 04:38 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I know this sounds crazy but when they don’t decoy well I will put out only coot decoys and a blue heron or two.
Usually about 15 or 20 coots. It seems to put the ducks at ease.

Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: Derrick] #7675358 11/29/19 05:11 AM
J
jnd59 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Herons are duck calmers. I don't have heron decoys but I have watched them land near my spread. Seems the ducks give us a better look.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: Derrick] #7677639 12/02/19 03:31 PM
A
Avian Assassins Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
this is my advice checklist in order of importancefor beginner-ish people who ask me questions

Scout
setup where they are or want to be. It's very hard to convince them to be elsewhere (a 50 yard move could make all the difference in birds finishing)
decoy movement (IMO without mojos) jerk rigs work the best in calm conditions if you don't have swimmers or other expensive motion decoys
hide, well (if you can see flying birds very well, they can see you)
if you cant run a call, don't. If you can run a call, don't over call. poor calling and screaming at birds is the best education that they are going to get.

Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: Derrick] #7679662 12/04/19 04:57 PM
M
Monster_Raxx Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Dont make a V or U or J or any kind of pattern with decoys. Ducks dont spell the alphabet when they are in groups. It doesn't look natural. Throw them out there and hide. They'll come in. You also dont need to call a bunch. You also need some type of motion. You'll get those limits

Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: Derrick] #7680069 12/05/19 01:25 AM
S
smirly22 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Curious what the opinion is on whats considered a smaller spread? One guy told me aboit a small spread, and he had 3 doz deeks out. My idea of small is 12-15 on calm days, add a 2-3 bird jerk rig for motion. Thoughts?

Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: smirly22] #7680077 12/05/19 01:31 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by smirly22
Curious what the opinion is on whats considered a smaller spread? One guy told me aboit a small spread, and he had 3 doz deeks out. My idea of small is 12-15 on calm days, add a 2-3 bird jerk rig for motion. Thoughts?

That's location dependent really. In the spread I mentioned above, I think we had about 15 total, and I'd call it a medium spread. A small spread for the hunting we do is 6 or so.

A small spread in Kansas for geese can be 500 decoys ya know, so it's got it's obvious variables.

Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: KWood_TSU] #7680115 12/05/19 02:13 AM
S
smirly22 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

That's location dependent really. In the spread I mentioned above, I think we had about 15 total, and I'd call it a medium spread. A small spread for the hunting we do is 6 or so.

A small spread in Kansas for geese can be 500 decoys ya know, so it's got it's obvious variables.

Thank goodness i dont have to store 500 decoys... i have 5-6 dozen split between the boat and a walk-in bag. 3 dozen is a typical spread for us on good days. Low wind and cloudy we will go down to 12-18 with jerk rigs. Hunted with a pulsator decoy a buddy had and didnt care for it. Idk why but it seemed to flare birds. Pulled it and they finished. Inlike the rippler decoys tho.

Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: Derrick] #7680548 12/05/19 04:00 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Here's an example of what I was saying earlier. If you're where they want to be, they will land on each other basically.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5sZ1oenuVy/?igshid=gx1l8az6u8vr

Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: Derrick] #7680565 12/05/19 04:13 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
KWood, when you are the guy on the x, spread and calling are secondary to location. That fact is the cause for a lot of the conflict among waterfowlers and why some will forego etiquette to chisel in on the party that is on the x rather than move on. In Derrick’s original post he was not on the x. Instead he was running traffic in an area that had birds around. Different tactics will up his odds for success in that scenario.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 12/05/19 04:18 PM.

Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: smirly22] #7680572 12/05/19 04:21 PM
T
tdogg Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T

Thank goodness i dont have to store 500 decoys... i have 5-6 dozen split between the boat and a walk-in bag. 3 dozen is a typical spread for us on good days. Low wind and cloudy we will go down to 12-18 with jerk rigs. Hunted with a pulsator decoy a buddy had and didnt care for it. Idk why but it seemed to flare birds. Pulled it and they finished. Inlike the rippler decoys tho.

I'm curious how you decided the pulsators were flaring birds? I typically run 3-4 in my spread and they seem to work really well on a calm day.

Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: Smokey Bear] #7680576 12/05/19 04:23 PM
T
tdogg Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
KWood, when you are the guy on the x, spread and calling are secondary to location. That fact is the cause for a lot of the conflict among waterfowlers and why some will forego etiquette to chisel in on the party that is on the x rather than move on. In Derrick’s original post he was not on the x. Instead he was running traffic in an area that had birds around. Different tactics will up his odds for success in that scenario.

X2 Good advice Smokey

Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: Smokey Bear] #7680714 12/05/19 06:29 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K

You're right, he wasn't on the X, but that's why you scout, so you can be on the X. Sure, it's not always possible, but you'll typically do better if you are.

Re: Need input. Can’t get ducks to come in to decoys [Re: tdogg] #7681847 12/06/19 08:14 PM
S
smirly22 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by tdogg

I'm curious how you decided the pulsators were flaring birds? I typically run 3-4 in my spread and they seem to work really well on a calm day.

The first 3-4 groups that morning turned the corner, cupped a good ways out and then flared and disappeared just out of range. Went out and pulled the pulsator (first time hunting over one), and the rest of the birds that were interested seemed to finish fine. I bet they work fine, i may have had it in a bad placement who knows. I rarely use mojos also, but everything has a place i guess.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide