Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ring Rooting - Why? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7679513 12/04/19 02:48 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Well, I got a pig under one of the recently rooted trees. It wasn't a ring rooted tree, but either way, I may have my culprit.

Frustrating evening. Everything I saw, ran. Everything I shot, ran...and disappeared into low spots. Got busted out in the open (there was no cover to use) because the moon was bright enough to cause shadows to be cast and unaided eye visibility was good. I got busted because of the wind. One hog should have been DRT and somehow that didn't happen. The other hog saw me and took off at a quick walk and I hit it on the move, but apparently missed my followup shot and it managed to disappear into a low spot I didn't realize existed in the field, which was really odd. On top of that, the wound pattern on the hog was bizarre with one known impact, one known exit that corresponds to the impact, and a 3rd bleeding wound that was out of place for a typical GSW. However, it was a great night to be hunting and it was nice to actually see game for a change.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 12/04/19 02:49 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Ring Rooting - Why? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7680521 12/05/19 03:38 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Well, I got a pig under one of the recently rooted trees. It wasn't a ring rooted tree, but either way, I may have my culprit.

Frustrating evening. Everything I saw, ran. Everything I shot, ran...and disappeared into low spots. Got busted out in the open (there was no cover to use) because the moon was bright enough to cause shadows to be cast and unaided eye visibility was good. I got busted because of the wind. One hog should have been DRT and somehow that didn't happen. The other hog saw me and took off at a quick walk and I hit it on the move, but apparently missed my followup shot and it managed to disappear into a low spot I didn't realize existed in the field, which was really odd. On top of that, the wound pattern on the hog was bizarre with one known impact, one known exit that corresponds to the impact, and a 3rd bleeding wound that was out of place for a typical GSW. However, it was a great night to be hunting and it was nice to actually see game for a change.

Good job.

Like you....I am perplexed about the peripheral wound on the off side. I have seen bullet fragments travel on seemingly impossible tracts (and distance) on deer, but not so much on hogs. So a bullet fragment is one possibility.

Another... might be that the wound was not related to your shot at all and was simply recently sustained before you shot it (fight with another boar) who knows.

A very fresh wound...like that one appears to be...suggests it WAS created by the first shot you took. I can simply see no way the second shot (which I don't think connected) could have done it. Not to mention there was no reaction from the pig to the second shot and it most certainly would have been crippling.

I don't know Brian, anything I have to offer it just a Wild A$$ Guess (WAG).

We do know one thing for sure, there is one less pig out there and there are still 26 days left in the year. wink

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Ring Rooting - Why? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7680765 12/05/19 07:30 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
We do know one thing for sure, there is one less pig out there and there are still 26 days left in the year. wink

And that really is all that matter in the grand scheme!

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Ring Rooting - Why? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7680883 12/05/19 10:04 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Interesting! No ideas about the extra wound.
Sure looked like the first hog should have quickly gone down, but that's not the first hog I've seen take what looks like a clearly fatal hit and run off.

Keep After 'Em!

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Ring Rooting - Why? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7681191 12/06/19 03:25 AM
D
Douglas Tipton Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Slice in the skin, muscle looks more like a puncture. Going to go with a fight wound.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide