Texas Hunting Forum

Ring Rooting - Why?

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Ring Rooting - Why? - 11/21/19 10:04 PM

I have a property where the landowner said the hogs were rooting up his winter wheat. I checked the field and found a few small spots of rooting, but then found that some of his randomly scattered oak trees were rooted in a ring around the circumference of the tree, pretty much matching the overall shape of the tree's canopy. If a tree has a big, circular canopy, there was a big, wide circle of rooting on the ground. If the canopy was offset to one side, the ring rooting was offset of one side. So what I want to know, is why is the hog rooting in this pattern? What is it after? These are oaks and there are acorns under them, but not just as nice canopy matching circles under the trees, but all over under the trees, as you would expect. I found 4 trees with these rings. I found a couple of other trees with the random patchy rooting that I would normally expect.

This appears to have been done by a single hog as there was a single set of tracks leading from tree to tree.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: oldrancher

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 11/21/19 10:25 PM

There is more moisture in the soil on the outside of the drip line of the Live Oak. Probably more grubs and insects in the moisture.
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 11/21/19 10:26 PM

Porcine crop circles......

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 11/21/19 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by oldrancher
There is more moisture in the soil on the outside of the drip line of the Live Oak. Probably more grubs and insects in the moisture.

You may be right. I did look at (and feel) the soil and could not tell that it was any more or less moist than the soil around it, but without a hygrometer, the difference would have to be fairly significant for me to tell and even then, what the conditions were at the time of the pic may not be what is beneficial to the grubs/bug/whatever.

Bar-D, are you suggesting that the hogs are aliens???? clap
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 11/21/19 11:52 PM

Maybe the hog has one leg shorter than the other.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 11/22/19 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
Maybe the hog has one leg shorter than the other.

Lol. Should be easy to trap them if they are just making circles like that.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 11/22/19 12:14 AM

May be after Cicada grubs.
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 11/22/19 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

You may be right. I did look at (and feel) the soil and could not tell that it was any more or less moist than the soil around it, but without a hygrometer, the difference would have to be fairly significant for me to tell and even then, what the conditions were at the time of the pic may not be what is beneficial to the grubs/bug/whatever.

Bar-D, are you suggesting that the hogs are aliens???? clap

Just a theory I have........ loco_too
Posted By: Woj

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 11/22/19 01:39 PM

Lots of worms, grubs, and other sub-surface insects in (& below) the root system. The drip line is easiest place for the hog to get into and under the roots. Closer to the tree and the roots are too large, and too much work to dislodge.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 11/22/19 07:52 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 11/22/19 11:08 PM

This time of year I would suspect they are after acorns as other food is hard to come by right now in some places.
If it happens year around then it's probably grubs/worms/insects.
They seem to lose their minds digging where I have fed round bales to my cattle in the past to get to the grubs.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 11/23/19 06:04 PM

This is my guess also..
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 11/29/19 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Vern1
This time of year I would suspect they are after acorns as other food is hard to come by right now in some places.
If it happens year around then it's probably grubs/worms/insects.
They seem to lose their minds digging where I have fed round bales to my cattle in the past to get to the grubs.

They do like their grubs. Not hard to see why...as some of them represent a substantial meal. This time of the fall we find some really large ones under logs and old hay bales.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 11/29/19 04:04 AM

Now I don't know much about grubs, but those are freakin' huge! Those are cicada grubs?
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 11/29/19 01:45 PM

Catfish love them too!
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 11/29/19 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by hook_n_line
Catfish love them too!

Gonna have to try that!
Here is one from underground where we fed roundbales last year.
Not sure exactly what they grow into but we have a healthy crop of rhinoceros beetles here in the spring/summer.
[Linked Image]

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 11/29/19 04:25 PM

Now I don't know much about grubs, but those are freakin' huge! Those are cicada grubs?

I believe these are the larvae of the Hercules Beetles we have around here.

I'm uncertain the timing of their maturity but in the Fall and Winter months it is easy to find them in any decaying matter. In particular under old hay bales and rotting logs. I believe the reason for that (at least in part) is that the decomposing material creates and gives off heat which is attractive to them.

Hogs will move some impossibly big logs to get at them. I find them when moving hay bales or cutting up an old tree that has been on the ground for a long period.

Other types of grubs are much smaller than these. It isn't unusual to find dozen or more under a hay bale (or what is left of a hay bale). And that same number under a rotting log. Well worth a hog's effort to get to them.
Posted By: JCO

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 12/02/19 01:56 PM

You learn something new every day.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 12/02/19 02:08 PM

Those grubs are huge!
Posted By: Team Fat Sack

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 12/02/19 08:38 PM

Those things are mounters!

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 12/02/19 09:39 PM

They get bigger, the one's I posted are just average size.

Here is an internet pic of a larger one:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 12/02/19 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper
They get bigger, the one's I posted are just average size.

Here is an internet pic of a larger one:

[Linked Image]

There are always pictures of bigger ones on the internet...

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 12/02/19 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Vern1
Originally Posted by hook_n_line
Catfish love them too!

Gonna have to try that!
Here is one from underground where we fed roundbales last year.
Not sure exactly what they grow into but we have a healthy crop of rhinoceros beetles here in the spring/summer.
[Linked Image]

Have tried many many times to catch fish on them creeks lakes ponds etc. never had a nibble. lol

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 12/02/19 10:46 PM

I'm uncertain the timing of their maturity but in the Fall and Winter months it is easy to find them in any decaying matter. In particular under old hay bales and rotting logs. I believe the reason for that (at least in part) is that the decomposing material creates and gives off heat which is attractive to them.

Hogs will move some impossibly big logs to get at them. I find them when moving hay bales or cutting up an old tree that has been on the ground for a long period.

Other types of grubs are much smaller than these. It isn't unusual to find dozen or more under a hay bale (or what is left of a hay bale). And that same number under a rotting log. Well worth a hog's effort to get to them.

We always called them rhinoceros beetles because the big horn many have. At least that is what my dad always said they were from. We always found them under our wood pile at the house outside san antone.

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 12/03/19 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy

We always called them rhinoceros beetles because the big horn many have. At least that is what my dad always said they were from. We always found them under our wood pile at the house outside san antone.

There are a lot of similar beetles and sometimes names are used interchangeably, but this is the beetle I most often encounter.

https://texasinsects.tamu.edu/eastern-hercules-beetle/

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 12/04/19 02:48 PM

Well, I got a pig under one of the recently rooted trees. It wasn't a ring rooted tree, but either way, I may have my culprit.

Frustrating evening. Everything I saw, ran. Everything I shot, ran...and disappeared into low spots. Got busted out in the open (there was no cover to use) because the moon was bright enough to cause shadows to be cast and unaided eye visibility was good. I got busted because of the wind. One hog should have been DRT and somehow that didn't happen. The other hog saw me and took off at a quick walk and I hit it on the move, but apparently missed my followup shot and it managed to disappear into a low spot I didn't realize existed in the field, which was really odd. On top of that, the wound pattern on the hog was bizarre with one known impact, one known exit that corresponds to the impact, and a 3rd bleeding wound that was out of place for a typical GSW. However, it was a great night to be hunting and it was nice to actually see game for a change.

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 12/05/19 03:38 PM

Well, I got a pig under one of the recently rooted trees. It wasn't a ring rooted tree, but either way, I may have my culprit.

Frustrating evening. Everything I saw, ran. Everything I shot, ran...and disappeared into low spots. Got busted out in the open (there was no cover to use) because the moon was bright enough to cause shadows to be cast and unaided eye visibility was good. I got busted because of the wind. One hog should have been DRT and somehow that didn't happen. The other hog saw me and took off at a quick walk and I hit it on the move, but apparently missed my followup shot and it managed to disappear into a low spot I didn't realize existed in the field, which was really odd. On top of that, the wound pattern on the hog was bizarre with one known impact, one known exit that corresponds to the impact, and a 3rd bleeding wound that was out of place for a typical GSW. However, it was a great night to be hunting and it was nice to actually see game for a change.

Good job.

Like you....I am perplexed about the peripheral wound on the off side. I have seen bullet fragments travel on seemingly impossible tracts (and distance) on deer, but not so much on hogs. So a bullet fragment is one possibility.

Another... might be that the wound was not related to your shot at all and was simply recently sustained before you shot it (fight with another boar) who knows.

A very fresh wound...like that one appears to be...suggests it WAS created by the first shot you took. I can simply see no way the second shot (which I don't think connected) could have done it. Not to mention there was no reaction from the pig to the second shot and it most certainly would have been crippling.

I don't know Brian, anything I have to offer it just a Wild A$$ Guess (WAG).

We do know one thing for sure, there is one less pig out there and there are still 26 days left in the year. wink

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 12/05/19 07:30 PM

We do know one thing for sure, there is one less pig out there and there are still 26 days left in the year. wink

And that really is all that matter in the grand scheme!
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 12/05/19 10:04 PM

Interesting! No ideas about the extra wound.
Sure looked like the first hog should have quickly gone down, but that's not the first hog I've seen take what looks like a clearly fatal hit and run off.

Keep After 'Em!
Posted By: Douglas Tipton

Re: Ring Rooting - Why? - 12/06/19 03:25 AM

Slice in the skin, muscle looks more like a puncture. Going to go with a fight wound.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum