Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: MOA or MIL & FFP or SFP [Re: Greg] #7662509 11/15/19 04:16 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Originally Posted by Greg
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

Here is another. The pic make is look like it's MOA turrets but it could be an error. Fireman probably knows if this is the correct model. The price is good.

https://www.natchezss.com/burris-xt...-g2b-mil-dot-reticle-ff-matte-black.html

I really like this scope. Also just read a great review from Sniper Central. It gets me in the game and leaves a little extra for a bipod and some other goodies. I like that it has a zero stop and is illuminated as well. I think I'm gonna go for it. Thanks Scott! And thank you all for your help!

That is a great price on a discontnued Burris Scope. I personally like Burris a lot, and use them myself. I have the XTR II now in 5-25x G2b and love it.

As for FFP vs SFP, it really depends on your intended and amount use, history, and how much time and mental work you want to put into it. It's a little different than just the personal preference Ford vs Chevy arguments to me; I learned on SFP many years ago, and do better math on them personally, but then again it's what I learned, and math is pretty easy for me.

FFP is a bit easier for novice, and maybe a hair faster to calculate holds if I used it all the time.

What sucks, is switching back and forth, so whichever route, my advice is get one and roll with it

Re: MOA or MIL & FFP or SFP [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #7662521 11/15/19 04:35 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Here is another. The pic make is look like it's MOA turrets but it could be an error. Fireman probably knows if this is the correct model. The price is good.

I really like this scope. Also just read a great review from Sniper Central. It gets me in the game and leaves a little extra for a bipod and some other goodies. I like that it has a zero stop and is illuminated as well. I think I'm gonna go for it. Thanks Scott! And thank you all for your help!

What sucks, is switching back and forth, so whichever route, my advice is get one and roll with it

All that was great advise Sig but his one stuck out to me. He is exactly right.

[Linked Image]
Re: MOA or MIL & FFP or SFP [Re: Greg] #7662535 11/15/19 05:04 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
I own and use both FFP and SFP.

For hunting, SFP is almost always the choice. The reticle is thicker and full size on low power, which is helpful in closer distance shots such as in the brush or close quarters. FFP reticles generally are harder to see on low power.

For shooting PRS type competitions where targets are at different distances and time is a factor, FFP is the way to go.

For F-class or similar, SFP is the choice.

Mil or MOA both work the same. Make sure the turrets match the reticle marks, but spend time really looking at reticle designs, they vary greatly and preferences are somewhat subjective. Reticle design will be a bigger factor in selection than Mil or MOA.

Fwiw - Nightforce will change reticles in scopes if preference changes with time. The NF MOAR is my favorite reticle at the moment, though Mil-R is good if Mils are preferred.

From an old post on another forum.

Re: Do you really "NEED" a FFP rifle scope.
Wednesday at 10:44 AM

FFP certainly has its application. As a law enforcement sniper and competitive shooter, I tend to separate my requirements. I DO NOT use FFP for work. I use SFP. For Tactical competitions, I absolutely use FFP.

For ELR shooting and hunting I prefer SFP.

For LE, having tried to use FFP, I found too many negatives. The environment for an LE sniper is not as dynamic as one would think. We are in a position of security and overwatch and 9 times out of 10 I am 120 yards or less with the majority being within 70 yards or less. We always want to minimize the containment zone and a larger containment zone typically means more civilian/non-threat presence. So closer is often better for the LE Sniper. Being closer requires more FOV and less magnification. On FFP, less magnification, often even minimum, means very thin crosshairs. Add in low light, shadows, dark trailer parks, wooded areas and the reticle is very hard to pick up quickly for a reactive shot.While an illuminated reticle is a benefit, is not always practical. For LE work, I can't remember when I had to utilize holds outside of training. I dial everything so FFP was negated. Due to liability concerns, we do not take long shots although we regularly train out to 600 yards. As LE Snipers our ROE and Liability are always at the forefront of our decision making process. We are not military snipers nor is our mission anything alike.

I much prefer the constant line thickness of the SFP riflescope for LE precision work.

For competitive purpose, FFP is invaluable as the situations that match directors like to utilize DO fully test your equipment and it IS a HUGE benefit.

While the FFP reticle has its advantages, it has its disadvantages on lower magnification too. So if you are an LE Sniper or hunter who may operate a good portion on lower magnifications at shorter distances, consider the mission and the environment and let that drive the equipment. My agency rifle has a Nightforce ATACR 5-25 SFP on it. I often operate at 5-12x and have been as close as 70 feet on glassfor prior deployments. I dial everything. I use higher mag for observation and identification if/when necessary. I have tried the Bushnell DMR3-21 and NF 15x F1. They were terrible choices and the entire team was in agreement. Other local teams have purchased FFP thinking that because the internet says FFP is a must for LE use, they had to have them only to find they had wasted their money and was to their detriment. It was not easy for them to get back in a good SFP scope which better fit their mission.

I am a firm believer in using an FFP when it fits. I have a few NF 4-16x42 F1's now and recently got rid of a Kahles 6-24. They are great for the tactical competition application and would be awesome if I was a military sniper. I personally would not choose them for LE work.

Re: MOA or MIL & FFP or SFP [Re: Greg] #7662554 11/15/19 06:21 AM
C
ckat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

Re: MOA or MIL & FFP or SFP [Re: Greg] #7662858 11/15/19 04:25 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by wp75169
Everyone screams FFP but that is if you intend to use your reticle for holds instead of dialing elevation and windage. I’ve owned many of both and have never used the reticle for holds. All that said, most of your more precise scopes will be FFP. My favorite scope that I’ve owned is FFP, not because of that but because of its unquestionable dialing accuracy vs price. SS 5-20HD.

Mil vs moa is a personal question.

Thank's for your reply. You are the 4th person who has told me to buy that scope. Must be a sign. It's just so expensive. I really wish I could find a slightly used one, but can't see them anywhere. Is it really that much better than the SS 3-14X42 non HD? I'm finding those used around the $450-$550 mark and the new HD's I'm finding are $1250. As a novice shooter, do you think it's worth the extra $700 for 8mm's larger glass that is HD?

Also, if anyone see's a used SS 5-20HD, please send me a PM.

Thanks again!

I bought a SS 5-20 HD. Its mil and FFP. I have only hunted with it a few times but no problems with the reticle being to fine on low power or thick on high power. I like it. I bought mine for between 800-900 as a demo from SWFA. The scope looks and functions absolutely like brand new. I owned it for probably 6 months before I found a nick that might have made it a demo 3 on the parallax adjustment.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: MOA or MIL & FFP or SFP [Re: Greg] #7663135 11/15/19 09:21 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
For the OP's purposes, I agree with what most have recommended being a FFP Mil scope. I would also add that there is nothing wrong with going the SWFA 3-15 route, especially if you can get a decent used one. As others have said, it is not the clearest glass but it will work. If later you decide to go with an upgrade, you can easily sell it. I have 3 of the 3-15 scopes and use one on my target 10/22.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: MOA or MIL & FFP or SFP [Re: Greg] #7663194 11/15/19 10:26 PM
Greg Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
A big thank you to everyone for your opinions and advise. I ended up going with this one and can’t wait to get it in.

Re: MOA or MIL & FFP or SFP [Re: Greg] #7663263 11/16/19 12:07 AM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
A big thank you to everyone for your opinions and advise. I ended up going with this one and can’t wait to get it in.

That looks like a heck of a deal. Enjoy the addiction and look forward to meeting you at one of the competitions.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: MOA or MIL & FFP or SFP [Re: Big Fitz] #7663274 11/16/19 12:21 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by Big Fitz
For the OP's purposes, I agree with what most have recommended being a FFP Mil scope. I would also add that there is nothing wrong with going the SWFA 3-15 route, especially if you can get a decent used one. As others have said, it is not the clearest glass but it will work. If later you decide to go with an upgrade, you can easily sell it. I have 3 of the 3-15 scopes and use one on my target 10/22.

I can confirm this personally grin That set up is a definate shooter Fitz

[Linked Image]
Re: MOA or MIL & FFP or SFP [Re: Big Fitz] #7663354 11/16/19 02:17 AM
Greg Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Big Fitz

Enjoy the addiction and look forward to meeting you at one of the competitions.

Looking forward to meeting you guys as well!

Re: MOA or MIL & FFP or SFP [Re: Greg] #7663426 11/16/19 03:53 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Good one, I like that simple reticle

Re: MOA or MIL & FFP or SFP [Re: Brother in-law] #7664750 11/17/19 10:23 PM
Greg Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Brother in-law
Good one, I like that simple reticle

Thanks Patrick!

Well, the scope just arrived and all I can say is... WOW! It’s a pretty sunny day, so I went out front to look down the street and this thing is amazing. Crystal clear. And it’s solid too...34mm is thick, boy! I think it’s gonna work our perfect. Thanks Scottfromdallas for posting it, and everyone else who gave their input. I love it!
[Linked Image]

Re: MOA or MIL & FFP or SFP [Re: Greg] #7664927 11/18/19 12:56 AM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Looks great. Maybe I need to buy one.

Re: MOA or MIL & FFP or SFP [Re: Greg] #7664931 11/18/19 12:58 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
That was an outstanding choice. The caps that burris provides are so much better than those butler creek crap too

[Linked Image]
Re: MOA or MIL & FFP or SFP [Re: Greg] #7668214 11/21/19 12:14 AM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Hey Greg,

Look what came today? It's just too much of a bargain to pass on.

[Linked Image]

Re: MOA or MIL & FFP or SFP [Re: scottfromdallas] #7668429 11/21/19 03:56 AM
Greg Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity

Hey Greg,

Look what came today? It's just too much of a bargain to pass on.

[Linked Image]

Sweet...I hope you like it as much as I do mine!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide