Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Long range build [Re: eddie4529] #7658541 11/11/19 04:23 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Back to the OP's question - I was in your exact same place about 5 years ago. Here's what I started with - Savage 10T .308 ($500), 20 MOA EGW scope base ($35), Vortex HST 6-24 ($450), Seekins rings ($120) and my handloads (about $17 per box). Today the rifle is still seeing a lot of use, but I've replaced the factory Accutrigger with a Timney and the Vortex has been replaced by a Nightforce. I've also threaded the barrel and added a brake.

If I were starting out today, my rifle choices would be in order
Tikka CTR
Ruger RPR (if you don't mind a chassis style rifle)
Savage 10T-SR
Bergara HMR

First choice in caliber would be 6.5 CM, second .308, third .260 Rem but only if you handload.

Scope choice would be Nightforce. I've got an ATACR, NXS and SHV and all three perform flawlessly. I would recommend the NXS or ATACR if you're planning to go beyond 1000 yards.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Long range build [Re: TAB] #7658603 11/11/19 05:09 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by tabjlr
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
I bought 2 academy specials with the scopes punted on them.. they shot better than a custom

So, you're basing an Academy special to out shoot a custom rifle from 3 shots? Yes, your group looks great. But I can promise you an Academy special with cheap ammo will not out shoot a custom rifle with tuned ammo. I would never base a claim on 3 shots at 100 yards. Put that Academy special through it's paces up against a custom, and you'll have your hat handed to you, I promise.

Chad, you and fireman are spot on, I hand load myself and I kinda step to it old school by tuning and finding what shoots I’m not scientific with all the lab radar and what not I read a lot and I try and find something that shoots well for others then fine tune it from there. Ammo that is tuned to the gun is absolutely and probably half the whole system no matter what brand rifle you buy or have built to each his own.

I'm not trying to pick fights or cause drama. But since you posted up your arsenal and have some custom rifles, I think you would agree that an Academy special is not going to out shoot your custom rifles when you put each rifle through it's paces, especially based on a few rounds shot. There's a lot of smack talk the few weeks leading up to some of our local shooting matches. Guys talking about 1/2 moa groups and posting up, what I call "Internet groups". When you get in the field and start shooting, those 1/2 moa rifles become 2+ moa rifles real quick. I'm a precision shooter and I shoot and test hundreds of rifles per year. I see all kinds, factory, semi custom, and full custom builds. So, saying that an Academy special will out shoot a custom is "internet group" talk.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Long range build [Re: ChadTRG42] #7658633 11/11/19 05:32 PM
T
TAB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I bought 2 academy specials with the scopes punted on them.. they shot better than a custom

So, you're basing an Academy special to out shoot a custom rifle from 3 shots? Yes, your group looks great. But I can promise you an Academy special with cheap ammo will not out shoot a custom rifle with tuned ammo. I would never base a claim on 3 shots at 100 yards. Put that Academy special through it's paces up against a custom, and you'll have your hat handed to you, I promise.

Chad, you and fireman are spot on, I hand load myself and I kinda step to it old school by tuning and finding what shoots I’m not scientific with all the lab radar and what not I read a lot and I try and find something that shoots well for others then fine tune it from there. Ammo that is tuned to the gun is absolutely and probably half the whole system no matter what brand rifle you buy or have built to each his own.

I'm not trying to pick fights or cause drama. But since you posted up your arsenal and have some custom rifles, I think you would agree that an Academy special is not going to out shoot your custom rifles when you put each rifle through it's paces, especially based on a few rounds shot. There's a lot of smack talk the few weeks leading up to some of our local shooting matches. Guys talking about 1/2 moa groups and posting up, what I call "Internet groups". When you get in the field and start shooting, those 1/2 moa rifles become 2+ moa rifles real quick. I'm a precision shooter and I shoot and test hundreds of rifles per year. I see all kinds, factory, semi custom, and full custom builds. So, saying that an Academy special will out shoot a custom is "internet group" talk.

I don’t disagree with what your sayin at all, my point is when you can buy something straight out of the store and it shoots well out of the box it is a good starting place. I know that most factory guns won’t hang in there for strings of 10-15 in most cases. I know my custom guns only shoot these bug hole groups for about 15 shots before they need cleaned again. I’ve shot several matches in benchrest, 600 yard clays, and the poker chip matches out at Spanish fort everything I’ve shot in competition is been from a bench and between relays cleaned. I personally would like to do some of the prs shooting and plan on starting really soon I’ve been working on a load for the rifle I intend on shooting, but I’ll also say I’m a good $3500 into that rifle so far.

For a start a heavy barreled tika, Remington, Savage, bergera is a good start some of these are cheaper than others and for most people getting started when they see say $700 for a scope it lets the air out of their sails. To me or you anything under say $1,000 for a scope is budget stuff and some work well but in the end you get what you pay for.

I like to see people get hooked on it, and enjoy shooting and that’s what it’s about. I have no doubt that lots of people out there post a bunch of BS.. I’m not one of those guys, I intend on coming to some of these events that happen on this forum, unfortunately my work schedule hasn’t allowed for it. I hope to give you all a run for your money too! Which undoubtedly is gonna be a tough statement.

Re: Long range build [Re: eddie4529] #7658638 11/11/19 05:37 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
I apologize to the OP I was a tad under the weather yesterday and was feeling trolly.

My first statement is still what I think though a Tikka CTR in 6.5CM and nice glass and let it rip.

[Linked Image]

Re: Long range build [Re: eddie4529] #7658662 11/11/19 05:58 PM
E
eddie4529 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
E
No worries lol was quite the entertainment 🤣😂 I'll be looking into those options I am leaning towards the tikka, and for a scope i wanna wait and see what the best glass I could get for my budget, or maybe financing or something so it doesnt hurt the wallet all at once idk might just wait and start a piggy bank for it 🤣 I understand why quality means alot with precision shooting but again hurts to let the money go, definitely not gonna get scared away by it tho, just might take some time to actually build the gun up

Re: Long range build [Re: eddie4529] #7658689 11/11/19 06:23 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
I did the CTR/decent glass setup and it rocks for what it is. If I were starting over, I'd look at the Tikka Varmint. You get a heavier barrel (albeit non-threaded) at the expense of only a 5 rd mag, but for a couple hundred $ less than a CTR. For glass, look at the Bushnell DMR 3.5-21. Several reticles to choose from and you can find them used for ~$800 or less. Complete package less than $1500 if you shop around and if you choose to sell you wouldn't lose much at all. There are also some used Bushnell Elite Tacticals, 6-24x50, selling for $450-650. I have one and while not a NF the glass is very good and the turrets have functioned well.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Long range build [Re: eddie4529] #7658821 11/11/19 08:40 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
eddie4529, ask Jason to let you look through his scopes. He has one of the SWFA scopes like mine. You can get better scopes for sure but for the $, this scope is hard to beat. Checkout Samplelist, sometimes they have a demo for cheaper. They have lifetime warranty. I paid $850 for mine.

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-5-20x50-tactical-30mm-riflescope-3.html?___SID=U

Sounds like you already have some reloading equipment so you are ahead already but be prepared to look back 6-12 months from now and realize you have $3k in this. I'm not saying that's what you need to spend but it sure is easy to do. I wish you the best and recommend hooking up with FiremanJG for a class.

Re: Long range build [Re: KRoyal] #7658837 11/11/19 08:49 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted by KRoyal
I could beat you shooting upside down with my carry gun shooting with my pinky toe.

Are we going to see this at the next match? I've seen your fingers and if that's any indication as to shape of that toe, it's as wide as it is long. Does it get stuck in the trigger guard? Anywho, if you can hit a piece of plywood at 10 yards, I'll buy you a bottle of whatever you were drinking when you wrote this comment. cheers

Re: Long range build [Re: garyrapp55] #7658888 11/11/19 09:47 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by garyrapp55
I could beat you shooting upside down with my carry gun shooting with my pinky toe.

Are we going to see this at the next match? I've seen your fingers and if that's any indication as to shape of that toe, it's as wide as it is long. Does it get stuck in the trigger guard? Anywho, if you can hit a piece of plywood at 10 yards, I'll buy you a bottle of whatever you were drinking when you wrote this comment. cheers

I like this...make that 2 bottles.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Long range build [Re: Judd] #7659265 11/12/19 04:06 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by Judd
Originally Posted by garyrapp55

I like this...make that 2 bottles.

I will add a case of white claw...

[Linked Image]
Re: Long range build [Re: eddie4529] #7660165 11/13/19 01:06 AM
Cattleman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Tikka CTR and a good scope. I would look at .
Leupold Mark 5 HD
Burris XTR ii or the new XTR iii
Or if you're budget is bigger than mine
Nightforce
Schmidt &Bender

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide