Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: hunter fatality [Re: Slow Drifter] #7641357 10/25/19 01:21 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Slow Drifter
Similar thing happened to me in '92. Two bucks appeared in the hay patch, I shoot one, they both run. I wait long enough for a cup of coffee and a smoke and go after them. They crossed the CR onto the neighbor's place so I prop my rifle on the fence and go into the trees looking. I see the buck hung up in the brace wire at the corner of the fence, just lying there dead. I have.another smoke while I watch him. He's gone. I see I need to cut his hind hoof off to get him out of the fence, so I open my
massive Buck 110 and ease up on him. As I'm cutting his hoof off the dang deer wakes up and commences to kicking and beating me to a bloody pulp! I get his head controlled and my little Buck 110 hacking away at his neck. I finally get inside and sever his windpipe, or something, I really don't know what all I cut, and hold him down while he dies.

I was beat to hell and bleeding like a stuck pig and it was way dark by then. If he'd been a spike he woulda' killed me. I cut his foot off to get him out of the fence and dragged him across the road. I go get my truck and toss him in the back and haul him to camp. We fire the lights up and start undressing him and realize there isn't a bullet hole anywhere in him. I'd knifed the wrong buck. He was just caught it a fence. We got that one tagged and on ice and went back and about 20 yards further into the trees found the buck I'd actually shot.

Edited to add: I just remembered the worst part! The whole time he and I were wrestling his free hind foot was steadily tattooing the back of my head!

roflmao

Re: hunter fatality [Re: pine knott] #7641432 10/25/19 02:53 AM
S
steve_twice Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
One time coming home from the lease in the dark I hit a big 12 point crossing the road. 150 inch deer all day long. Deer got thrown into the ditch and I stopped to see if it was dead. It laid still until I was close enough to touch it, then jumped up facing me, turned 90 degrees and hauled out of there. Not sure what my max heart rate is but I hit it that night.

Re: hunter fatality [Re: skinnerback] #7641445 10/25/19 03:11 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Similar thing happened to me in '92. Two bucks appeared in the hay patch, I shoot one, they both run. I wait long enough for a cup of coffee and a smoke and go after them. They crossed the CR onto the neighbor's place so I prop my rifle on the fence and go into the trees looking. I see the buck hung up in the brace wire at the corner of the fence, just lying there dead. I have.another smoke while I watch him. He's gone. I see I need to cut his hind hoof off to get him out of the fence, so I open my
massive Buck 110 and ease up on him. As I'm cutting his hoof off the dang deer wakes up and commences to kicking and beating me to a bloody pulp! I get his head controlled and my little Buck 110 hacking away at his neck. I finally get inside and sever his windpipe, or something, I really don't know what all I cut, and hold him down while he dies.

I was beat to hell and bleeding like a stuck pig and it was way dark by then. If he'd been a spike he woulda' killed me. I cut his foot off to get him out of the fence and dragged him across the road. I go get my truck and toss him in the back and haul him to camp. We fire the lights up and start undressing him and realize there isn't a bullet hole anywhere in him. I'd knifed the wrong buck. He was just caught it a fence. We got that one tagged and on ice and went back and about 20 yards further into the trees found the buck I'd actually shot.

Edited to add: I just remembered the worst part! The whole time he and I were wrestling his free hind foot was steadily tattooing the back of my head!

roflmao

Wow

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: hunter fatality [Re: Slow Drifter] #7641484 10/25/19 04:06 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

I live the most boring life ever

Re: hunter fatality [Re: Slow Drifter] #7641486 10/25/19 04:11 AM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
massive Buck 110 and ease up on him. As I'm cutting his hoof off the dang deer wakes up and commences to kicking and beating me to a bloody pulp! I get his head controlled and my little Buck 110 hacking away alt his neck. I finally get inside and sever his windpipe, or something, I really don't know what all I cut, and hold him down while he dies.

Wow! That’s an amazing story!

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: hunter fatality [Re: skinnerback] #7641489 10/25/19 04:19 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by skinnerback

roflmao

That sucks but I really appreciate you sharing that story.

[Linked Image]
Re: hunter fatality [Re: Slow Drifter] #7641497 10/25/19 04:57 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U

Gotta be the best hunting story I've ever heard!

Re: hunter fatality [Re: unclebubba] #7641546 10/25/19 10:38 AM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by unclebubba

I agree, Uncle! I knew a fellow, may he RIP, that killed a nice buck with a rock, but this tops that.

[Linked Image]
Re: hunter fatality [Re: pine knott] #7641613 10/25/19 12:33 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Running lines in the river that splits the property before the afternoon hunt one day and a nice buck walks across a sand bar and up the other side. We eased up to the bank and got out to look around. There he was bedded down near a tree that had fallen in the river bottom. We waited hours before he stood up and gave us a shot. He hit the ground shook, stretched out gasping for air then was still. We dragged it down to the boat and loaded it. Now the light is fading fast and with the thick canopy and high bank it gets dark quick in the river bottom. We start heading back towards the truck and the light is gone so we turn on the nav lights and spotlight to avoid tree stumps. When that spotlight came on that deer jumped up and the scramble was on. I think that was a half t-shirt moment. I'm glad the deer went over before we got hurt or jumped out.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: hunter fatality [Re: pine knott] #7643151 10/26/19 11:42 PM
C
cos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
About 15 yrs ago a friend of mine was hunting alone and did not come home. Family went looking and found him dead near his truck. He had shot a deer and when he approached it it had gored him and hit the Femoral Artery. He bled to death before he could get help. Taught me to take precautions when walking up on what I think is a dead buck.

Re: hunter fatality [Re: Slow Drifter] #7643195 10/27/19 12:30 AM
D
Dalee7892 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
The best I got was getting deer ticks all over me from putting the deer over my shoulders. Then transferred them to my girl friend, she was pi$$ed.

Re: hunter fatality [Re: pine knott] #7643202 10/27/19 12:38 AM
N
Nathan at Fork Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
If I shoot a deer and its possible to put a second bullet into it before it disappears, Ill do it every time. Twice Ive come upon not dead yet bucks while tracking them and both times were in the woods after dark. That will scare the crap out of you when they jump up. Luckily, they both ran the other way. Also shot a boar hog that was 300+ lbs about 8 years ago and tracked it into the woods at night. Found it laying there, we threw a stick at it, it wasn't breathing. Walked up and kicked it in the butt. IT threw its head up and grunted, my buddy had his 44 revolver out and fired off two shots while I was still falling backwards. Had some huge cutters on him, Ive got the skull in my living room. That could have been really bad. Ive never gone after a pig in the dark again, if they don't drop, they are buzzard food.

[Linked Image]
Re: hunter fatality [Re: pine knott] #7643245 10/27/19 01:12 AM
G
Greg Z Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Ok. got to share my close encounter of the venison kind. Several years ago when new antler regs started in Wood County, I was in my ladder stand and a buck comes out. I didn't see the un-brantched side until he turned and started to walk away. I took aim on the center of his spine at the base of the neck and squeezed the trigger. Thru the scope i watched a 5 inch strip of hide vanish and the buck went to the dirt. Thinking he was DRT I collected my pack and headed down to field dress. I get beside the buck, i see him take a deep breath. I clicked off the Safety to do a finishing shot, when he opened his eyes, sprung to his feet and took off. I stood stunned for a moment said a few cuss words. then wondered how bad he was hit. This is thick country and it had been raining most of the afternoon. As stood at the edge of the clearing I heard the crack of a branch and turned to see my buck standing broadside. Put a second round thru the boiler room and finished him off. Always knew to wait after taking the shot but this lesson hit home and I never get out of the stand until I have let 30 minutes go by.

-Z

Last edited by Greg Z; 10/27/19 01:12 AM.

Greg Ziemer
Sewell Lexus
214-597-6006
Life's short... Enjoy the ride!
Re: hunter fatality [Re: pine knott] #7643553 10/27/19 01:35 PM
K
KingHunter17 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
When I shot my first buck I Made a perfect shot DRT. My dad and I get out and go look at the buck and take pictures and everything knowing 100% the deer is dead. After the pictures we start dragging the deer out and all the sudden the deer starts shaking and lightly kicking. We both dropped the deer and jumped back heart racing and my dad starts unloading his pistol into the buck but it does not stop shaking. Im really young at this time and pretty scared. My dad goes up to the buck and touches it and gets shocked. We then realize the buck is laying on a downed electric fence that is very hot and making the buck shake. We both started laughing realizing how scared we got. Made a good camp fire story that morning at breakfast when everyone got back from hunting.

If the trigger is gold, the birds will fold.
Re: hunter fatality [Re: pine knott] #7643694 10/27/19 04:12 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
I had a hunting buddy that shot a nice buck. I helped him load in back of his Datsun pickup and he was going to go home to town 15 miles away and process in back yard. When he stopped at first red light about in town (about 40 min after shooting the buck), cars behind him started honking. The buck stood up in the back on the pickup. Friend jumped out and shot hit point blank with rifle, dropped in bed, got back in and drove home. Next day at school a girl said she was stopped at red light and saw the whole thing too.

Re: hunter fatality [Re: Ranch Dog] #7654364 11/06/19 11:36 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Ranch Dog

I agree, Uncle! I knew a fellow, may he RIP, that killed a nice buck with a rock, but this tops that.

I gotta' hear that rock story, please?

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: hunter fatality [Re: pine knott] #7654391 11/06/19 11:59 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I'm glad I put my Lacy on all the deer I shoot first. By the time I go get her, get her collar on, etc, it's been at least 30 minutes. Just hope shes ready to do her job if one isn't dead when we get there.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: hunter fatality [Re: unclebubba] #7654415 11/07/19 12:27 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

That's...epic.

Thank YOU for sharing. You the MAN!

I've only had to hold one doe and slit her throat when a friend forgot to take his rifle looking for her. Your story makes mine pale pitifully. (I'm refraining from asking about tags. I know you did whatever was right at the time. grin up)

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: hunter fatality [Re: Creekrunner] #7654458 11/07/19 01:10 AM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

That's...epic.

Thank YOU for sharing. You the MAN!

I've only had to hold one doe and slit her throat when a friend forgot to take his rifle looking for her. Your story makes mine pale pitifully. (I'm refraining from asking about tags. I know you did whatever was right at the time. grin up)

Thanks. We had two buck tags at the time for our county, for the record. I searched for a knife tag or self defense tag but didn't find either. Both were 8 point bucks.

Last edited by Slow Drifter; 11/07/19 01:16 AM. Reason: Autocorrect is stupid

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: hunter fatality [Re: pine knott] #7654632 11/07/19 03:34 AM
R
Rglover Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
An old hunting buddy of mine (40 years ago) taught me to point the muzzle at the bucks eye & if he blinks to pill the trigger. Luckily I have never had to shoot one in the eye.

Re: hunter fatality [Re: pine knott] #7654644 11/07/19 04:01 AM
N
NRAman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
I had a stupid, coulda been much worse, experience when I was way old enough to know better. A buddy shot a 4 point (2 on each side) Coues buck through the spine just behind the front legs. It dove into a brush-pile and was stuck, partially paralyzed, and hadn't moved in a while. We walked up, and this little 80 poundish little deer didn't look like much. So, I pulled out my knife and said I would finish it off with a cut to the neck. I grabbed the antler with my left hand and started to move in when this deer, on only two front legs, proceeded to implant its antler into the palm of my hand, impaling it there, and then threw my 200lb body about like a rag doll. I somehow held onto my knife and when the deer finally got stuck on another bush, I was able to stab it to death, although not neatly. It was ugly. The worst part though was I had to tell my story many times while at the hospital later that day after limping down the mountain. My hand looked so swollen, it was scary, like it could explode at any minute. The rest of me was dinged up too. From then on, "Shoot the damn thing again"!

MikeA
NRA Life Member
University Of Dallas & TWU Dad
Re: hunter fatality [Re: pine knott] #7654647 11/07/19 04:12 AM
J
jmac24 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
about 40 years ago we were running deer with dogs in MS. My dad shot a deer with a 12 ga with buckshot that was running right at him. He had watched it coming for about 200 yards. Deer fell about 10 yds from him. Several other guys walked up and the deer was laying there with his eyes closed. My dad grabbed his antler to cut his throat and the deer jumped up and ran a little ways before they could shoot him again. Got a little western there for a moment!!

Another time they actually cut the deer's throat and put him in the back of the truck. My cousins from Chicago were with us and they thought this deer hunting stuff was awesome. About a mile down the road they looked back and the deer had his front legs over the tailgate. Deer bled out right there.

Re: hunter fatality [Re: pine knott] #7655034 11/07/19 05:11 PM
T
TiggerV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Shot a big 8 point. He dropped right there but flopped for a bit. Stopped flopping. Gave him about 5 minutes. Walked up and watched him for a minute to make sure he was done. Got up close and from behind to do the "Poke the butt" test. He kicked a twitched. I raise my gun and remembered "Hey dummy, you are using a single shot pistol and all your 'extra' rounds are in the blind still." Boy, did my fat butt scamper back to the blind quick. Luckily, he was dead and stopped twitching by the time I return the SECOND time. Lesson to remember, taking you gun for a follow-up does no good when you have no more rounds.

Or as Zane Grey said, "Never insult seven men when all your packing is a six-shooter"

Re: hunter fatality [Re: pine knott] #7655324 11/07/19 09:52 PM
W
Whammer7 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
My brother stalked and shot his first buck with a bow, but had to leave to play a softball game double header an hour away.

In the meantime, I show up to the property well after dark and go to sleep. My brother shows back up to the ranch at o-dark-thirty and wants me to wander around the woods and swamp with him to track this deer in the dark. Of course I declined his offer, suggesting that he wait 3 hours for daylight.

In the morning I see the deer hanging and he tells me how he blood trailed the deer in the dark for 60 yards or so, but finds him, still alive but not moving well. Dear brother then realizes that he left his bow back at camp, but he does have his softball bat in the truck...

"Sometimes, too much to drink is barely enough"

Mark Twain
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide