Forums46
Topics538,021
Posts9,731,919
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: hetman] #7641926 10/25/19 04:33 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I hand both licences to the officer, then keep both hands on the wheel. All four times I have been stopped, the first question at that point is if I am carrying. The second is where is it, followed by the statement for me to keep my hands away from it, and then the stop continues on as normal. Twice they told me to slow down, once I was told to not try and beat the red light (I tried, but I didn't beat it), and once I got a ticket. Also, what is said above about engine off, dome light on, pull as far off the road as possible, etc. The officers want to go home too, and I think they notice and appreciate it if you take extra steps for their safety.

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: hetman] #7641927 10/25/19 04:34 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Yea, I wait until the PoPo gets to my window and I pull out my phone and record them. I tell them that I'm a traveler and I don't recognize their authority.

[Linked Image]

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: J.G.] #7641929 10/25/19 04:35 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Some of yall shouldn't even have drivers licenses with the amount of times you've been pulled over. I would have a 3 strike law and then you calling uber for life.

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: KRoyal] #7641931 10/25/19 04:36 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Originally Posted by KRoyal
Yea, I wait until the PoPo gets to my window and I pull out my phone and record them. I tell them that I'm a traveler and I don't recognize their authority.

My man.....
flag

rofl

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: hetman] #7641951 10/25/19 04:52 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I use a peace of scotch tape and tape my DL and LTC together back to back. That way I can't forget to hand both over together at a traffic stop. I do get the occasional funny look at other places where you have to present ID.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: fadetoblack64] #7641955 10/25/19 04:56 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by takewhatyoucan64
Some of yall shouldn't even have drivers licenses with the amount of times you've been pulled over. I would have a 3 strike law and then you calling uber for life.

Forget to take your meds this morning?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: hetman] #7641968 10/25/19 05:03 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
If armed...DL, LTC & POI are in hand and ready before they even reach the door.

If not armed then only DL & POI.

I'm not too chatty with the PO PO but will answer theirs questions (yes or no) if asked.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: The Dude Abides] #7642008 10/25/19 05:36 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
If armed...DL, LTC & POI are in hand and ready before they even reach the door.

If not armed then only DL & POI.

I'm not too chatty with the PO PO but will answer theirs questions (yes or no) if asked.

In my CHL class they stressed giving them your LTC permit every time - armed or not.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7642009 10/25/19 05:36 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
^^^ I also do this. If it's dark out, I will turn on the interior lights and roll down the windows. I have been told "Thank you" for doing that on more than one occasion.

Jeeesch Chad, how often do you get pulled over? cheers

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: hetman] #7642022 10/25/19 05:48 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I show them my badge and humbly ask them for forgiveness for whatever I did to get stopped.

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: hetman] #7642038 10/25/19 06:03 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Just about every LEO or retired LEO I have ever known drives pretty much like a bat out of hell when it comes to speeding.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7642045 10/25/19 06:13 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Just about every LEO or retired LEO I have ever known drives pretty much like a bat out of hell when it comes to speeding.

One of the most abusive motorists I ever stopped was a Mesquite detective. He was uncooperative and kept repeating that he was police. Well, that's nice because so was I. When another element arrived he realized he was about to lose in a very big way. He was a major jerk...nicer than most lawyers though . lizard

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: Choctaw] #7642052 10/25/19 06:17 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Our P.D. is not authorized Code 3 on lots of calls. But more than once James would be hanging out at the fire station with me, and either just leave or get a call. Sumbi*ch was on the floor every time he left.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: Choctaw] #7642068 10/25/19 06:29 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Choctaw

One of the most abusive motorists I ever stopped was a Mesquite detective. He was uncooperative and kept repeating that he was police. Well, that's nice because so was I. When another element arrived he realized he was about to lose in a very big way. He was a major jerk...nicer than most lawyers though . lizard

grin

If a regular old lawyer tells you he’s a lawyer during a stop, that’s a pretty good sign he/she’s a jerk. I only have done that the one time referenced above when I really had no choice. I’ll bet most never say anything unless they are prosecuters wanting a break maybe...

Had a client who was retired DPS. He drove us to Brownwood one time for a hearing in his case. Sumbuck drove 90-100 and got stopped half a dozen times on the way. We would have gotten there faster if he had just driven the speed limit. smile

He didn’t get any tickets though....

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7642076 10/25/19 06:36 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

grin

If a regular old lawyer tells you he’s a lawyer during a stop, that’s a pretty good sign he/she’s a jerk. I only have done that the one time referenced above when I really had no choice. I’ll bet most never say anything unless they are prosecuters wanting a break maybe...

I issued a warning to a district judge out of Smith County years ago. He didn't have judge's plates (I hate those) nor did he mention anything about being a judge. A week or so later he wrote my lieutenant a letter (on paper with ink and everything!) thanking me for my courtesy. That is the only way I knew he was a judge. Pretty cool. And yes, prosecutors love throwing that out there. lol

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: hetman] #7642085 10/25/19 06:53 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Nope. I’ll give em my two licenses and answer questions. If I do have a gun on me (and in most cases I do) they usually just say “Don’t pull it out” or something along those lines. Never had one request that I disarm or unload or anything, which in all actuality would be more likely to get someone shot.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: hetman] #7642088 10/25/19 06:57 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I'm usually drunk. They ask me to step out of the car, I say I can't, why don't you just get in.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: Choctaw] #7642093 10/25/19 07:00 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

grin

I issued a warning to a district judge out of Smith County years ago. He didn't have judge's plates (I hate those) nor did he mention anything about being a judge. A week or so later he wrote my lieutenant a letter (on paper with ink and everything!) thanking me for my courtesy. That is the only way I knew he was a judge. Pretty cool. And yes, prosecutors love throwing that out there. lol

That’s a cool story and a nice man.
up

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: J.G.] #7642098 10/25/19 07:17 PM
S
Scott W Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by LeonCarr
Don't go fishing around your vehicle looking for your wallet and insurance card while the officer is approaching your vehicle.

Wait until he/she comes to your window, and ask for permission to get your wallet out or to open your glove compartment when he/she asks for it.

This goes a long way.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Originally Posted by fouzman
For me, engine off, keys on dash, hazards on, foot off the brake, both hands on the wheel with both licenses in my hands. All four windows down and dome light on if it's at night. This goes a long way with the officer.

Add in getting plum off the road. We (Law Enforcement and Fire) spend way too much time dodging cars at 10 to 70 mph. As soon as warning lights come on, I hit my hazards and look for the next driveway or parking lot to pull into. Hazards off, turn signal on, windows down, both hands on the door where he can sew them. One hand is holding my wallet.

I don't reach for anything until I'm asked to and I tell him where I'm reaching. Before I reach I tell him I am LTC, they usually ask where it is so I tell them. I haven't been pulled over in my new truck which is a push button start (no key) but I always roll down windows, turn on light if necessary, make hands visible.

In Houston one time I was on the Beltway in a spot where there wasn't a place to pull over so I left my blinker on and got to the right, took the next exit and pulled into a parking lot. The officer acted like he didn't like that until I explained that I did it so he wouldn't have highway traffic breathing down his neck standing next to me. I guess hazards would've been better than the blinker in that situation.

I was witness to an accident in Frisco earlier this year, when cops arrived and asked for my ID I gave them LTC as well, he asked if it was on my or in the truck, said on me and his response was, "don't reach for it." Told him I didn't plan to.

Originally Posted by Scott W
Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7642106 10/25/19 07:30 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
I'm usually drunk. They ask me to step out of the car, I say I can't, why don't you just get in.

LMAO

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: colt45-90] #7642111 10/25/19 07:34 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by colt45

LMAO

roflmao Similar to when the officer asks "You drinkin'?" and I reply "You buyin'?"

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: hetman] #7642128 10/25/19 07:49 PM
F
fmrmbmlm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
A few years ago I talked directly to Sherrie Zgabay head of the LTC department of DPS ,she said you did not need to declare before being asked if you did NOT have a LTC but must if you do, and then MUST if asked and no LTC. Not sure if law has changed or not.

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7642137 10/25/19 08:12 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Followed by, where you coming from? You're place, she's good.

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7642142 10/25/19 08:16 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Followed by, where you coming from? You're place, she's good.

Credit where credit's due, the Great East Texas philosopher Rodney Carrington.

I'm Licensed to Carry, usually am and have been stopped twice since becoming licensed. I mostly do a modified version of what has been posted. Received written warnings both times.

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: jeepercreeper] #7642153 10/25/19 08:31 PM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by jeepercreeper
I simply hand both licenses over and dont say anything. Never had a problem until about 2yrs ago in Ferris or some town south of Dallas in I-45.

Handed my licenses over, LEO asked if I had a handgun with me. I responded yes and he asks me to take it out. So Im like okayyyyy. I pull it out and he tells me to hand it to him. Again, okayyyy. Then he walks back to his car with my handgun!?!?! Then comes back with my ticket, hands me my gun, and sends me off. It was truly bizarre and I had contemplated contacting whatever PD it was to figure out what that was all about. Life got in the way and I just forgot about it til now.

I am very respectful when being pulled over, been several years and I drive a lot. Open windows, engine off, hazards on, both hands on wheel with LTC, insurance and DL already in hand, interior light on as well if at night.

With all,of that being said, I would NEVER follow that direction the LEO asked you to do. I would gladly let him disarm me, have access to my vehicle, handcuff me(detain me) if he wanted, but I am certainly not going to touch my firearm during a traffic stop or any other encounter with any LEO again if if that was under his direction.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide