Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Give me a rock and I'll break it. #7634764 10/17/19 02:13 AM
HWY_MAN Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Just used a hammer stone on this one. Even a cave man can do it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Give me a rock and I'll break it. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7634845 10/17/19 04:34 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Pretty cool. Is it finished?

Re: Give me a rock and I'll break it. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7634886 10/17/19 11:13 AM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Pretty cool, how long did it take ?

texas flag

Re: Give me a rock and I'll break it. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7634894 10/17/19 11:29 AM
T
TEXASLEFTY Offline
THF Whiskey Sommelier
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
That is cool!

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Give me a rock and I'll break it. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7634999 10/17/19 01:42 PM
G
gary roberson Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
The best rock breaker I ever saw.....
Adios,
Gary

Re: Give me a rock and I'll break it. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7635003 10/17/19 01:45 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Impressive work. You got some nice large flakes off.

I can that with a copper-bopper or antler billet but my hammer-stone skills are not that good.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Give me a rock and I'll break it. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7635107 10/17/19 03:04 PM
M
mbavo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
M
That is really neat

Re: Give me a rock and I'll break it. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7635273 10/17/19 07:00 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Give me a rock and I'll break it. [Re: Stub] #7635348 10/17/19 08:48 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Stub
Pretty cool, how long did it take ?

Some can be done pretty quickly. Depends largely on the quality of the material and the shape. GOOD knap-able stone will let you reliably strike off fairly large and long flakes without too much worry of breaking the piece. But shape also comes into play. In this case...the piece is already pretty flat (nice to have) and doesn't have any one large area of mass of reduce.

Just the same...it takes a little time to set up platforms, shear, abrade and strike.

In the right hands...a GOOD piece of material that size could be preformed in 15-20 minutes. But most pieces of material require some analyzing as you go...so take longer to avoid breaking the piece.

Re: Give me a rock and I'll break it. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7635394 10/17/19 10:12 PM
H
HankTheTank Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Awesome, wish I knew how to work flint. Know some areas I can find large (grapefruit-sized +/-) pieces and should start the learning process.

How long did it take you (HWY_MAN and flintknapper) to acquire these skills, or at least the basics to build and improve upon?

Re: Give me a rock and I'll break it. [Re: flintknapper] #7635473 10/18/19 12:17 AM
HWY_MAN Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Impressive work. You got some nice large flakes off.

I can that with a copper-bopper or antler billet but my hammer-stone skills are not that good.

We've got allot of chert on the ranch, several ancient quarries, outcrops and where it's been cut into for roads and pipelines. I pick up what I find and stash it on a location back up the hill's, I make preforms there and mostly use hammer stones, when I get it home I don't have so much to have to clean up later. I'm still partial to antler and bone but have been using allot more copper lately. Made a Northwest Clovis about 8 months ago using only hammer stones, did a pretty good job on their overshot style flaking. That's all in the platform and hammer stone size, want big long flakes you got to have big hammer stones.

Re: Give me a rock and I'll break it. [Re: HankTheTank] #7635474 10/18/19 12:18 AM
HWY_MAN Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by HankTheTank
Awesome, wish I knew how to work flint. Know some areas I can find large (grapefruit-sized +/-) pieces and should start the learning process.

How long did it take you (HWY_MAN and flintknapper) to acquire these skills, or at least the basics to build and improve upon?

Knapped my first point back in the early 80's.

Re: Give me a rock and I'll break it. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7635511 10/18/19 12:52 AM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
up

Re: Give me a rock and I'll break it. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7635512 10/18/19 12:52 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Awesome skill to have... up

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Give me a rock and I'll break it. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7635539 10/18/19 01:10 AM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That’s really cool and it turned out great. Tell me you took the Rollie off before banging them together?

Re: Give me a rock and I'll break it. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7635558 10/18/19 01:30 AM
P
pop r Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Great job! up

Re: Give me a rock and I'll break it. [Re: HankTheTank] #7635637 10/18/19 03:05 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F

Hank...the 'basics' could be learned in just a few days if you are interested in just making smaller points. The person who taught me (just enough to get started) was a student and friend of Craig Ratzat. He spent a couple of days at my home showing me the basic techniques but put a LOT of emphasis on understanding the WHY'S and WHY NOT'S of what he was doing. In other words...the concepts and principles involved.

Once you understand how the energy travels through/across the material then its a matter of practice. The finer techniques (notching, serrations) and such will take some practice. But you can learn to 'pressure flake' small serviceable points in a matter of days. Of course, you'll get better with practice. Your first points will be pretty crude. Percussion work (larger pieces usually) takes more time.

If a person were to attend a 'knap-in' and ask around...you would learn SO much faster than just experimenting by yourself. At the time @HWY_MAN and I were first learning...there was no internet or YouTube (late 70's early 80's). There was a smattering of written material and the revival of the flintknapping art was underway but nothing like it would become.

IF you can handle a little disappointment (because you ARE going to break some pieces that seem to be coming along) and accept that you will have 'plateaus' that you might struggle to get past...then just about anyone can learn it.

Use good quality material and know that some material is MUCH easier to work than others. I don't recommend folks start with Obsidian for instance, just good quality flint/chert.

Be patient and when you have failures ask yourself WHY? Was it the material (it could be) or your technique?

And on days when it just isn't working for you, put it down! Come back later...don't become flustered.

While notching a pretty nice Desert Side Notch point from some heat treated Agate....I wasn't paying attention to how hard I was gripping the point and snapped it in two.

My 'teacher/friend' was sitting beside me knapping out his own point. He could see the look on my face. Then he uttered the most important thing of that entire trip and I've never forgotten it, he calmly said to me: "It's just a rock, we'll make another".

Re: Give me a rock and I'll break it. [Re: Greg] #7636338 10/19/19 12:29 AM
HWY_MAN Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Greg
Tell me you took the Rollie off before banging them together?

That watch has been on that wrist for as long as I've been knapping, it's seen tons of chert.

Re: Give me a rock and I'll break it. [Re: HWY_MAN] #7636347 10/19/19 12:46 AM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
coolpics

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Give me a rock and I'll break it. [Re: flintknapper] #7637104 10/20/19 02:12 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by flintknapper

Hank...the 'basics' could be learned in just a few days if you are interested in just making smaller points. The person who taught me (just enough to get started) was a student and friend of Craig Ratzat. He spent a couple of days at my home showing me the basic techniques but put a LOT of emphasis on understanding the WHY'S and WHY NOT'S of what he was doing. In other words...the concepts and principles involved.

Once you understand how the energy travels through/across the material then its a matter of practice. The finer techniques (notching, serrations) and such will take some practice. But you can learn to 'pressure flake' small serviceable points in a matter of days. Of course, you'll get better with practice. Your first points will be pretty crude. Percussion work (larger pieces usually) takes more time.

If a person were to attend a 'knap-in' and ask around...you would learn SO much faster than just experimenting by yourself. At the time @HWY_MAN and I were first learning...there was no internet or YouTube (late 70's early 80's). There was a smattering of written material and the revival of the flintknapping art was underway but nothing like it would become.

IF you can handle a little disappointment (because you ARE going to break some pieces that seem to be coming along) and accept that you will have 'plateaus' that you might struggle to get past...then just about anyone can learn it.

Use good quality material and know that some material is MUCH easier to work than others. I don't recommend folks start with Obsidian for instance, just good quality flint/chert.

Be patient and when you have failures ask yourself WHY? Was it the material (it could be) or your technique?

And on days when it just isn't working for you, put it down! Come back later...don't become flustered.

While notching a pretty nice Desert Side Notch point from some heat treated Agate....I wasn't paying attention to how hard I was gripping the point and snapped it in two.

My 'teacher/friend' was sitting beside me knapping out his own point. He could see the look on my face. Then he uttered the most important thing of that entire trip and I've never forgotten it, he calmly said to me: "It's just a rock, we'll make another".

Much of what you said applies to welding as well.

Kudos to yall, you can survive! I need to learn how to do this.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Give me a rock and I'll break it. [Re: J.G.] #7639329 10/22/19 11:45 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I think whatever you guys are discussing must be pretty cool - however I have no clue

Looks like a fun skill to learn but takes lots of effort - cool stuff

You can't fix stupid
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide