Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
All terrain trailer tires? #7626058 10/07/19 01:11 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline OP
Bird Herder
OP Offline
Bird Herder
New lease we are on, the camp is all the way through a 4,500 acre ranch, takes 25 minutes from gate to camp, I pull a single axle trailer with Mule and was thing about putting some 15" BFG A/T KO's on it. Any reason why not? this trailer pulls really good and tires wear very even as long as I use the upper rated tire (I think they are C or D? cant remember) but if I use the $89 tire wheel combo from northern, they wear on the outside. I finally upgraded to 15" tire wheel with the higher rating and they wear perfect. How are the BFG's in comparison? Plus I think they will look good. Fixin to put a new set on truck. Will listen to all opinions.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: All terrain trailer tires? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7626062 10/07/19 01:13 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

No reason not to.
The only slight negative I could think of is that the BFG tread will hold rocks and then sling them when you hit the highway.

[Linked Image]

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Re: All terrain trailer tires? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7626074 10/07/19 01:21 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
I don’t see any advantage over a 10 ply trailer tire.

You can get the Gladiators on Amazon for pretty cheap.

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: All terrain trailer tires? [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #7626110 10/07/19 01:50 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
I don’t see any advantage over a 10 ply trailer tire.

You can get the Gladiators on Amazon for pretty cheap.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: All terrain trailer tires? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7626123 10/07/19 02:02 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline OP
Bird Herder
OP Offline
Bird Herder
Those do look like a good deal. May just go wit them

But still like the look of the BFG's I guess what Im asking is do you think the BFG's have about the same rating of a d trailer tire?

Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: All terrain trailer tires? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7626129 10/07/19 02:05 PM
B
Big_Country01 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
10 ply trailer tires should hold up just fine if you are staying on the roads.

Re: All terrain trailer tires? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7626133 10/07/19 02:06 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
The bfg's will be more than fine to carry the load your putting on them, but the tread pattern wont help any. They should work just fine though. Who knows maybe they sidewalls will be more protected.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: All terrain trailer tires? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7626179 10/07/19 02:36 PM
hopalong Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
get them in am 8 or 10 ply if you can.

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: All terrain trailer tires? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7626186 10/07/19 02:40 PM
hopalong Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I would stick with 10 ply trailer tires, vehicle tires don't always work so good on trailers.

Re: All terrain trailer tires? [Re: hopalong] #7626196 10/07/19 02:45 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by hopalong
I would stick with 10 ply trailer tires, vehicle tires don't always work so good on trailers.

Cant tell you how many times ive heard and read that but have never had a problem with it. Have had a bunch of POS chineese trailer tires that weren't worth the cost to mount and balance them.

Last edited by redchevy; 10/07/19 02:45 PM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: All terrain trailer tires? [Re: hopalong] #7626205 10/07/19 02:51 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

On deck overs and high gross weight trailers I would agree, utility trailers don’t think it matters. I think vast majority of the utility market tires are poop.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: All terrain trailer tires? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7626314 10/07/19 04:15 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
All ST tires are designed first to minimize rolling resistance, the tread and sidewall both are designed to resist side to side deflection ( lateral / sway / fish tale) and support xx weight at xx psi.
With only slight engineering for forward / rearward (longitudinal) traction characteristics, just enough to support braking.
All at the cost of speed rating, traction & tire life in miles.

A highway / rib tread LT tire would be a very good option as long as it has a load rating that matches or exceeds the GVWR of the trailer.
In a correct load range they have the sidewall strength to resist side to side deflection.
As mentioned these seem to work best on higher GVW trailers that go long distances loaded at highway speeds frequently.
That wouldn't stop me from using them as a replacement for ST tires on any trailer.

A quality trailer tire is never a bad option for a smaller single or dual axle utility trailer.
With any ST tire be sure to check & understand the speed rating before purchase.
Goodyear Endurance (American made) has good reviews, I have a set on a utility trailer with only 7000 miles on them and know quite a few using them on single & dual axle utility and boat trailers. Some of those folks put a bunch of miles on their tires in a years time.
It isn't a good idea to use an E load range ST tire on a trailer needing B or C LR, then air down/use a lower psi in the E LR tires to get an acceptable ride or traction.
Road debris, pot holes, rocks can cause internal tire carcass damage at the lower psi.

Even though there are thousands doing it, it is dangerous to use a ‘P’ tire on any trailer loaded or empty at highway speeds even if the tire meets the load range requirement.
There is no 'P' tire that has the construction, rubber compounds or sidewall & tread strength and lateral traction characteristics needed for trailer use.
Yes there are new trailers that come with 'P' tires new. There are also a bunch of trailer manufactures gone & out of business from lawsuits via fatalities & large $ accidents & P tires.

As far as using an AT LT tire for a trailer ( without going into a long winded explanation) they are more prone to hydroplaning & usually offer zero improvement in off road traction usually make things worse.
If looks is what you're going for you probably won't notice much if any difference unless you encounter the very worst driving conditions ( mud, torrential rain, snow, ice ) using a proper load range AT tire on a trailer.
If you do haul in those conditions you'll see in mud an AT will gather/collect mud & ball up, in snow & ice they let the trailer wag all over, in heavy rain they'll hydroplane.
In dirt, sand, grass, loose gravel / road material they can certainly be beneficial.

Re: All terrain trailer tires? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7626315 10/07/19 04:17 PM
hopalong Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by redchevy

Cant tell you how many times ive heard and read that but have never had a problem with it. Have had a bunch of POS chineese trailer tires that weren't worth the cost to mount and balance them.

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

On deck overs and high gross weight trailers I would agree, utility trailers don’t think it matters. I think vast majority of the utility market tires are poop.

for hiway I would go with vehicle tires on some small trailers. good 10 ply trailer tires have a much stiffer sidewall so dragging the trailer off road on rough roads it will work a lot better.
jmo. and for the record my boat trailer has vehicle tires on it, tandem axle, came on it when I bought it a yr. ago and when they start blowing out I will do trailer tires again.

Re: All terrain trailer tires? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7626369 10/07/19 05:10 PM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
A good 10-ply like a Hankook truck tire ought to be fine. Like above, I've pulled trailers all my life on automotive tires.

I balance the tires on all my trailers. A tire store owner and I talked about this one day. I told him I see expensive boats, utility trailers with expensive ATVs, etc. with trailer tires bouncing badly out of balance. He agreed. There is a lot that can be shaken loose on your cargo. As far as your ATV on bumpy roads, roads on that ranch are probably nothing compared to a long out of balance highway trip getting there.

Re: All terrain trailer tires? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7626448 10/07/19 06:29 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I saw a first last Friday on the way home. Guy pulled up beside me at a stop light down town in an older mercury car. The tires struck me as both familiar and odd at the same time. I recognized the tread and sidewall as the same "tow-max" tires we had on our flatbed for a few years. He had two ST trailer service tires mounted on his car. The car was a little rough and I doubt he knew or cared.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: All terrain trailer tires? [Re: Rustler] #7626458 10/07/19 06:42 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Originally Posted by Rustler
All ST tires are designed first to minimize rolling resistance, the tread and sidewall both are designed to resist side to side deflection ( lateral / sway / fish tale) and support xx weight at xx psi.
With only slight engineering for forward / rearward (longitudinal) traction characteristics, just enough to support braking.

A highway / rib tread LT tire would be a very good option as long as it has a load rating that matches or exceeds the GVWR of the trailer.
In a correct load range they have the sidewall strength to resist side to side deflection.
As mentioned these seem to work best on higher GVW trailers that go long distances loaded at highway speeds frequently.
That wouldn't stop me from using them as a replacement for ST tires on any trailer.

A quality trailer tire is never a bad option for a smaller single or dual axle utility trailer.
With any ST tire be sure to check & understand the speed rating before purchase.
Goodyear Endurance (American made) has good reviews, I have a set on a utility trailer with only 7000 miles on them and know quite a few using them on single & dual axle utility and boat trailers. Some of those folks put a bunch of miles on their tires in a years time.
It isn't a good idea to use an E load range ST tire on a trailer needing B or C LR, then air down/use a lower psi in the E LR tires to get an acceptable ride or traction.
Road debris, pot holes, rocks can cause internal tire carcass damage at the lower psi.

Even though there are thousands doing it, it is dangerous to use a ‘P’ tire on any trailer loaded or empty at highway speeds even if the tire meets the load range requirement.
There is no 'P' tire that has the construction, rubber compounds or sidewall & tread strength and lateral traction characteristics needed for trailer use.
Yes there are new trailers that come with 'P' tires new. There are also a bunch of trailer manufactures gone & out of business from lawsuits via fatalities & large $ accidents & P tires.

As far as using an AT LT tire for a trailer ( without going into a long winded explanation) they are more prone to hydroplaning & usually offer zero improvement in off road traction usually make things worse.
If looks is what you're going for you probably won't notice much if any difference unless you encounter the very worst driving conditions ( mud, torrential rain, snow, ice ) using a proper load range AT tire on a trailer.
If you do haul in those conditions you'll see in mud an AT will gather/collect mud & ball up, in snow & ice they let the trailer wag all over, in heavy rain they'll hydroplane.
In dirt, sand, grass, loose gravel / road material they can certainly be beneficial.

I disagree with two statements made above.

The Goodyear trailer tires have had problems I’ve the last few years as have many manufacturers

I also think a true LT in load range C,D or E would work fine on most trailers if not over loaded.

All of my trailers are running Gladiators

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: All terrain trailer tires? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7626470 10/07/19 06:59 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I'll throw in my 2cents. As for looks...it's a utility trailer. Who cares about looks. If the LT tires are a cheaper option than QUALITY trailer tires, go for the LT tires as long as the weight rating is high enough. Otherwise, I don't believe that there would be any advantage of having all terrain tires on your trailer. There would be a disadvantage. As stated above, all terrain tires will have more rolling resistance, and therefore you will get worse gas mileage.

Re: All terrain trailer tires? [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #7626530 10/07/19 08:26 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
Originally Posted by Rustler

I disagree with two statements made above.

The Goodyear trailer tires have had problems I’ve the last few years as have many manufacturers

I also think a true LT in load range C,D or E would work fine on most trailers if not over loaded.

All of my trailers are running Gladiators

The Goodyear Endurance are a 'new' US made product, substantially improved quality over their import Marathon line.
If you look up Goodyear Endurance reviews I believe you'll see they have a solid reputation, so far. Especially with the boating and small utility trailer crowd.

My unentended wall of text might be confusing,
I agree and I am sure I said, a highway / rib tread LT tire with a proper load range & load index # would be a very good option.

I have 2 gooseneck trailers that came with Gladiator tires, good tires as far as import ST go, I've had to replace 4 in less than 2 years, all from a thrown tread that started as a bubble. Never overloaded, under inflated or over speed, just a few bounce hops as the bubble formed going down the road then blam o.

I guess I didn't make it clear, for my money a rib / highway tread LT tire with the appropriate load range would be my first pick.

I tried to provide varied info because options can be very limited depending on where you are when you need to replace trailer tires.
I've had to buy some really crap trailer tires to get to where I was going or to get back.
That has pretty much stopped as Ive replaced them with LT.

In my opinion & experience, the best things you can do for trailer tires is; frequently check & maintain the correct cold psi, balance them and have them checked occasionally, never exceed load rating/load index# and don't exceed speed rating for much more that what it takes to pass a slower vehicle.

Re: All terrain trailer tires? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7626547 10/07/19 08:39 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Ive got 3 marathons on our flatbed and one marathon knock off. The oldest one was made in 2010 according to the date on the tire, it does look like it needs to be replaced though lol.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: All terrain trailer tires? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7626619 10/07/19 09:38 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
yep, the GY marathons had known issues for years before they discontinued them ... the new GY Endurance seem to be holding up very well on my gooseneck the past couple of years.

although I would think an LT tire would be fine on lighter trailers, especially single axle, I will stick with ST tires on my trailers. ST tires are designed with stiffer sidewalls.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide