Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? #7589226 08/25/19 08:47 PM
H
herb_mason Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
As far as I know, there are no restrictions on taking Texas mountain lions by the authorities. Most American states regulate these cats, I believe.
I hope this animal, an apex predator, isn't wiped off the Tx map due to unregulated hunting. Some states require tags or special permits for lions.

http://www.balancedecology.org/MountainLionWebSite/Current_Status_Texas.html

Last edited by herb_mason; 08/25/19 08:47 PM.
Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: herb_mason] #7589229 08/25/19 08:50 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Ohhhh boy...this is gonna be a good one.... popcorn

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7589230 08/25/19 08:51 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Ohhhh boy...this is gonna be a good one.... popcorn

[Linked Image]

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: herb_mason] #7589239 08/25/19 08:56 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Seems by all counts I have heard they have been making a comeback under the current regs.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: herb_mason] #7589240 08/25/19 08:57 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
They’re in no danger of being wiped out. The things are just too elusive, and very few people specifically target them.

Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: redchevy] #7589248 08/25/19 09:02 PM
H
herb_mason Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted by redchevy
Seems by all counts I have heard they have been making a comeback under the current regs.

Then sport hunting must not be hurting their numbers yet. I hope the Tx wildlife biologists just keep a close watch on them, that's all.
They should not be shot to extinction but by the same token should not be allowed to grow to unbridled numbers. When lions start to prey
on livestock in earnest, then their numbers are too great for the availability of wild prey in their range.

Last edited by herb_mason; 08/25/19 09:03 PM.
Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: herb_mason] #7589249 08/25/19 09:02 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
This is a large state and the cat's here are much more elusive.... much of range area W and SW doesn't have the trees for dogs to bay them up into would be part reason of survival I would think

Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: Always ready 2 hunt] #7589251 08/25/19 09:07 PM
H
herb_mason Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt
This is a large state and the cat's here are much more elusive.... much of range area W and SW doesn't have the trees for dogs to bay them up into would be part reason of survival I would think

In that case, Tx lions should make very good sport being they are such a challenge to men with guns, dogs and horses to take. They are probably then so hard to take in Tx there's no danger of their going south anytime soon. Personally, I have no hankering to hunt them for fun. I have no appetite for cat meat. I can see man's shooting them to protect people and domestic animals from cat attacks.

The cats are probably then regulated where they are easy to tree with hounds. Has to do with terrain and climate.

Last edited by herb_mason; 08/25/19 09:11 PM.
Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: herb_mason] #7589253 08/25/19 09:08 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Between the Davis range and the Big Bend I think these cats are safe in Texas.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: redchevy] #7589255 08/25/19 09:11 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by redchevy

Yep. In both numbers and expanding their range.

Since the average person/hunter will never see one in their lifetime, opportunities to kill one (most places) are few.

Unless hunted with dogs....Cougars (in Texas) should do just fine....and the TPWD apparently feels that way as well.

Yes, they are a Non-Game animal and can be hunted year 'round by any legal means on private property.

But so few are taken each year...that regulation is not deemed necessary (according to TPWD).

Personally, I would not shoot one....given the chance, provided it was not killing livestock. But have no problem if others do. My guess is that most of the Big Cats taken in Texas are done so... when a rare opportunity presents itself (while hunting something else) and the person considers the Lion a novelty.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: herb_mason] #7589260 08/25/19 09:20 PM
T
tophorsecop Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
They are protected in the GOOFY state of California, have been for decades...and every time one gets caught in a trap, or gets near a residential area...wait for it...the State Game Wardens shoot them....back in the 80's I rode with a warden, who then became a Lieutenant, and eventually retired as a Captain with CF&G...and he would travel 150+ miles as soon as he got a call about a big cat...and after dispatching the cat, and loading the carcass to hand over to the CF&G biologists...he would remark..."We just saved the state of California 50+ deer per year for the next several years!" Here in Texas, they rarely target feral swine and live almost exclusively on livestock, pets ...and DEER!

"Guns don't kill people, Guns kill dinner!"
Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: herb_mason] #7589274 08/25/19 09:43 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
had one working the lease we had one year west of Camp Wood. The goverment trapper caught it a couple weeks after deer season. I saw it once from about 600 yards briefly. Land owner said that was the third one trapped on her place in 5 years. It was killing deer and goats. One that was killing goats on the lease in Lampassas County back in the early 90s was welcome by us hunters, too dang many goats on the place.

I have seen mt Lions in Montanna, Texas and Mississippi. In Montana and MS they are protected awith hunting seasons in Montana but not MS.

The Texas cats are expanding their range and population and have been for years.

In California they are highly protected but the state last I heard kills at least 150 a year, why not keep the population in better check with hunters doing it but then again it is California where they ha ve parks no longer open due to the cats and others children are not welcome at or at least that is what I have read due to Lt Lions.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: kmon11] #7589291 08/25/19 10:04 PM
H
herb_mason Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted by kmon1
had one working the lease we had one year west of Camp Wood. The goverment trapper caught it a couple weeks after deer season. I saw it once from about 600 yards briefly. Land owner said that was the third one trapped on her place in 5 years. It was killing deer and goats. One that was killing goats on the lease in Lampassas County back in the early 90s was welcome by us hunters, too dang many goats on the place.

I have seen mt Lions in Montanna, Texas and Mississippi. In Montana and MS they are protected awith hunting seasons in Montana but not MS.

The Texas cats are expanding their range and population and have been for years.

In California they are highly protected but the state last I heard kills at least 150 a year, why not keep the population in better check with hunters doing it but then again it is California where they ha ve parks no longer open due to the cats and others children are not welcome at or at least that is what I have read due to Lt Lions.

I'm all fine by hunters' doing it legally in any state. Idaho too classifies the cougar as a game species. California has the most restrictions on hunting them.

Last edited by herb_mason; 08/25/19 10:12 PM.
Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: herb_mason] #7589308 08/25/19 10:18 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
All the hunters sitting in all the blinds all around the state with countless hours spent out there not to mention ranching, hog hunting etc.... and I still don't know of anyone personally that has ever shot one. Pretty elusive and when seen it is usually brief.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: kmon11] #7589311 08/25/19 10:20 PM
H
herb_mason Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted by kmon1

California would rather tax its citizens to pay game wardens to chase lions to kill them. Goofy Bambi-huggers in CA think it "ethical" to gun down an animal only if a government official does it.

CA is a blue state. They could sell expensive lion tags in CA to sport hunters but still CA liberals feel "warmer and fuzzier" if some uniform with a badge pulls the trigger. I bet those CA game wardens use treeing hounds too. Kommie-fornia did away with hounds for black bear some five to six years ago. Oh, hypocrites they are, CA game wardens can still hound bears.

The lefties feel govt. can take care of everything.

Last edited by herb_mason; 08/25/19 10:25 PM.
Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: herb_mason] #7589384 08/25/19 11:26 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
When did you move from Oklahoma to Austin? popcorn

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: stxranchman] #7589539 08/26/19 02:21 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by stxranchman
When did you move from Oklahoma to Austin? popcorn

Yep the troll is out on parole and changed his name.

Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: herb_mason] #7589541 08/26/19 02:22 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
His sentence structure is unmistakable.

Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: herb_mason] #7589583 08/26/19 03:13 AM
B
billyhunt Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Must be a peta or pita. Seems to be anti something. Just my 0.02 with so few post!! troll

Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: herb_mason] #7589585 08/26/19 03:15 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Mountain lion is delicious,

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: herb_mason] #7589590 08/26/19 03:21 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by herb_mason
As far as I know, there are no restrictions on taking Texas mountain lions by the authorities. Most American states regulate these cats, I believe.
I hope this animal, an apex predator, isn't wiped off the Tx map due to unregulated hunting. Some states require tags or special permits for lions.

http://www.balancedecology.org/MountainLionWebSite/Current_Status_Texas.html

Hunting in Texas is regulated. Mountain lions are doing fine here. Stop trying to change game laws that work fine and don’t necessitate change. WTF would a permit or tag do besides cost folks money? Sounds like a liberal idea to me, let’s tax folks for no good reason.

Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: herb_mason] #7589592 08/26/19 03:24 AM
B
billyhunt Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
^^^^BOBO^^ with A-1 steak sauce!!! roflmao

Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: herb_mason] #7589593 08/26/19 03:26 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I would be more interested to know how Timber Rattlers became protected in Texas while you're free to kill every one you see in other states.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: Texas Dan] #7589697 08/26/19 12:19 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I would be more interested to know how Timber Rattlers became protected in Texas while you're free to kill every one you see in other states.

Yes sir.

Probably because we use data and logic to make these decisions, instead of emotions.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Why aren't cougars regulated/protected in Texas? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7589704 08/26/19 12:31 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by laid over
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Yes sir.

Probably because we use data and logic to make these decisions, instead of emotions.

That is not factually accurate. They are protected in most states they are found. Especially in the NE. One of my two favorite Texas snakes....although I like a whole lot of them...

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide